Home

Raw 03/12/12 - Talking,music,more talking,more music,movie trailer,wrestling maybe

This is a discussion on Raw 03/12/12 - Talking,music,more talking,more music,movie trailer,wrestling maybe within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2012, 03:00 AM   #457
Best in the World

BDKiiing's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Raw 03/12/12 - Talking,music,more talking,more music,movie trailer,wrestling mayb

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
I seriously doubt he'll be allowed to use the phoenix splash.
More than likely true, I was just stating how versitle he is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayman
I don't know what the Avada Kedavra move is, but I know for damn sure he's going to have to change the name of it. I'm sure the Harry Potter people hold a copyright on that.
and yeah, he already said he will have to. and it's a low level superkick.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:06 AM   #458
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Raw 03/12/12 - Talking,music,more talking,more music,movie trailer,wrestling mayb

I guess I was the only guy who didn't give a **** about rapping Cena even back when he was rapping Cena.

*shrug* never intrigued me whatsoever
Old 03-13-2012, 03:10 AM   #459
Best in the World

BDKiiing's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
I guess I was the only guy who didn't give a **** about rapping Cena even back when he was rapping Cena.

*shrug* never intrigued me whatsoever
It wasn't the same with out B-Squared.

And I wish you wouldn't have shut down that "what's real about wrestling" thread, I literally tried to post some examples right as you closed it haha.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #460
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

The thing the Rock is missing overall is the energy level. His best two promos in the last 13 months were his first promo back and at Survivor Series. His energy level was there. For most of the Rock Concert, I thought it was there. The end was bad. And honestly, I get the impression that The Rock wasn't on board for it, since it didn't have the same energy and enthusiasm most of the concert had.

And for the people that want The Rock to be serious and want more out of the promos, I ask you (in all seriousness): when have you ever really seen that out of The Rock. If you look at his greatest hits, it's almost exclusively him being funny and making fun of his opponent (or the fans if he's heel). I think when he's doing that, being funny, it's worked, for the most part. It's when he tries to do the en vogue thing of talking more quietly and slowly and being serious (I say that should be called Jerichoing), it falls completely and totally flat.

One thing that I think this feud needs, in a big way, is they need to do a better job of making the match seem big. The Rock has not wrestled a singles match in 8 1/2 years or so? Right now he just looks all talk when he says he can whoop Cena. Cena is out there wrestling all the time, and is built up like the best in the business. But The Rock isn't. They need to show/remind the fans of who The Rock is. Run down some of his accomplishments. I'd have been showing clips of "Rock's Greatest Moments" and "Cena's Greatest Moments" for months to put over how great of a career both of these guys have had. Instead of the clips of doing movie premieres, or of Cena working out in a gym in Florida. Show The Rock hitting Mankind 14 times with a steel chair. Show Cena giving the FU to the Big Show at Wrestlemania. Show some of The Rock's best promos, and do the same for Cena, etc. You aren't going to build The Rock up by having him win matches on Raw, so highlight all the guys he has beaten, especially guys still on the roster.

As far as Cena's Dr. of Thugunomics, I love that gimmick, but tonight wasn't his best. I don't think he needs to go back to that at all. A hybrid of his PG character and that character would be great. And I feel that's what he's been doing the last few weeks before this week. He's been edgier, and I love it.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:01 AM   #461
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

There's an example of him being more serious and it absolutely working. Of course, he's not a heel right now, but I'd love to see more of this Rock right now. He even flubs some lines but it's all good, he came back from it. This is actually one of my favorites of his.

Edit: The commentating was a lot better there as well.

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Last edited by trobinson97; 03-13-2012 at 04:06 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #462
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
There's an example of him being more serious and it absolutely working. Of course, he's not a heel right now, but I'd love to see more of this Rock right now. He even flubs some lines but it's all good, he came back from it. This is actually one of my favorites of his.

Edit: The commentating was a lot better there as well.
Yeah great link. What timing because I actually just watched that a few days ago. over the last month or so i watched every raw from February 1999 all the way up through backlash. now i'm in the middle of the may 10th raw. (one more to go before owen dies, after the may 17th raw i'm gunna skip ahead a few weeks cuz i don't want to re-live the whole owen thing again)

but this really is a great time in WWF, every second of raw is entertaining at this time. it has such a nice pace to it. something is always going on. the story telling and the creative team got the absolute most our of the WWF superstars. in this raw on april 26th it's the day after backlash and you got Taker kidnapping Steph and Taker demanding that Vince asks Stone Cold to do a favor for him. friggin hilarious. "vince mcmahon needs stone cold". Ken Shamrock was big back then too had a great match with Taker at backlash. this is also when Shane went on a huge power trip, the next week he formed the "corporate ministry" which was pretty cool. april 29th was the first ever smackdown after steph is rescued by Stone Cold. I also liked this time because Vince McMahon had a face turn during this time fueding with Shane. it was a pretty good fued. shane went against his family, told Linda McMahon his mother to shut up, and told Vince that he orchestrated the whole Stephanie getting kidnapped by Taker. It got Vince really pissed off and Shane challenged him to a match on may 3rd and vince actually gave Shane a stone cold stunner. the crowd went nuts. enough of the history lesson but i just can't get enough of this time in wwf.

as far as the Rock in this promo, this is my favorite Rock character. he is such a great heel, he's kinda a heel but the fans still love him. Stone Cold is over as hell at this time, and Stone Cold and Rock just coming off a match but Stone Cold and Rock sort of have to band together and fight the corporate ministry in a lumberjack match that Shane puts together the week after this. you got Stone Cold giving the Rock the finger when they are forced to tag together and yet the crowd cheers both Rock and SC. although Rock gets more heat because he's trying to play a heel.

but i agree this Rock is amazing on the mic, and truly was electrifying in the ring. this is why it's so different to see the Rock now. I mean comparing this Rock to 2012 Dwayne it's like day and night. this guy was a legendary WWF character back in 1999. he was always in character, he was funny because he was so serious and so spot on in his delivery. sure he has a few flubs here and there but overall his delivery is great. Rock was really coming into his own here. he had the fans in the palm of his hand. the millions...and millions of the rock's fans. he's so good here. i think the greatest thing about him is he's a heel that still refers to himself as the "people's champ" and talks about his fans, even when he's corporate heel rock. i can't remember any other heel talking about his fans as a heel. most heels try to upset the crowd and put someone else over. Not the Rock. he's over as hell even as a heel and it's great to see. 1999 what a year.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #463
Banned

OVR: 24

Just like a movie review, I read all the Rock thoughts before coming home from work and was expecting the worst when I finally watched...

I feel like I'm the only one who actually laughed hard at Rock's song! Ok, the "we will rock you" was lame, but his "Cleveland Rocks" tune was funny as hell!!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #464
All Star

OVR: 2

You guys really need to stop with the rose colored glasses when it comes to the Attitude Era. There were great moments and it was a great time but stop pretending that every single second of RAW used to be entertaining. There was a lot of boring stuff, lots of bad storylines, lots of storylines without resolutions.

And I'm with Matrix, I never thought the old rapping Cena was funny. I don't find anything about white guys embracing the hip hop culture entertaining at all. You just end up looking like an idiot. Cena's overall character is a lot better now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »