Home
News Post

Pasta Padre has posted some information on NCAA Football 09 patch #2.

Quote:
"The roster editing patch is currently in certification at Microsoft and Sony. There is no specific day the patch will be approved and pushed out but it should not be too long now, possibly by the end of next week.

The second patch, which is intended to improve different gameplay elements, is still in the evaluation period. Right now a reasonable expectation on when this patch will arrive is September. So far it will include fixes to sliders, improvements to kick/punt return coverage, and various tuning to areas such as zone coverages, man vs RBs, and strafe catching. There will be more included in the patch but as of now those are the things that are confirmed."

Game: NCAA Football 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 95 - View All
NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 countryboy @ 07/26/08 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggins
Well obviously some people would still be unhappy, but most wouldn't be. September? Yeah, that is just really, really pathetic.
actually September is really quick. It takes time to figure out what to patch, implement the patch, test the patch, and then to send it through all of its certifications and for MS/Sony to add online.

So I wouldn't say that having a patch come out around September is pathetic.

# 82 muggins @ 07/26/08 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
actually September is really quick. It takes time to figure out what to patch, implement the patch, test the patch, and then to send it through all of its certifications and for MS/Sony to add online.

I wish my clients were as rationalizing as some of you dudes

# 83 OMT @ 07/26/08 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Now I didn't buy the game because the decisions they made were unacceptable to me. The sliders do seem to be broken, but what they did on defense and special teams seems to a be a conscious design choice.

They may be rethinking some of those choices, because of the because all the heat they're getting from various net media, but many of those decisions are probably irreversible in the short term. I not sure you guys are get enough to not still feel totally cheated.

Although I agree with your subjective assessment of the game, objectively its not really broken. They chose to tune the game so that it is exceeding easy to have a lot of success offensively. The game isn't realistic, but it is playable. If you look at the features list in the preview they pretty much did the things the said they were going to do. They didn't say anything about realistic defense or A.I.

So while I totally understand why you're pissed, I'm not sure the sliders screw up is enough to get you a refund.
No. We found a bug in the kick coverage. It was a design decision.

This looks like just the gameplay stuff. There is other things in the patch as well. I was supposed to get a list from the Dev manager but he was playing community guys all day Friday and didn't send it out by the time I left at 9 last night.

# 84 rhombic21 @ 07/26/08 01:20 PM
September may be really fast to get a patch out, but if you release a game with terrible AI and numerous bugs, it's not very fast from the consumer's point of view.

If the game had gotten delayed to September, people would have said it was a big deal, and that's basically what happened here.

# 85 OMT @ 07/26/08 01:27 PM
Quote:
September? Wow. They really don't get it, do they?
It takes a month minimum to get a patch out with minimal stuff. This patch has a bunch of stuff.

# 86 countryboy @ 07/26/08 01:29 PM
Quote:
I wish my clients were as rationalizing as some of you dudes
I am just stating the process.

# 87 muggins @ 07/26/08 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
It takes a month minimum to get a patch out with minimal stuff. This patch has a bunch of stuff.
I understand there are normal patch processes, but when you have such fundamental flaws in a game such as this one you might want to speed it up a bit.

# 88 ASB37 @ 07/26/08 01:35 PM
Quote:

I'd say it's pathetic that a game that is released in July is so buggy that consumers need to wait till September to be be able to play it. I can understand that for what the norm is one month may be fast for getting a patch out, what i am saying is what if NCAA 04 was released with these kinds of bugs and a patch wasn't something that was feasible at that time what would have happened? Patches should only be used to fix minor things games shouldn't have to get 2 patches shortly after release for it to be in working form. These game companies need to be held to some kind of accountability.

# 89 Seahawk76 @ 07/26/08 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT
This is why you guys need to improve your quality control. As a consumer, I want the game working correctly at release, not a couple of months later after a patch. I know that no game will ever ship completely bug free, but it shouldn't have the major bugs and AI flaws that this game shipped with.

I'm a fan of EA's FIFA and NHL games, and while they aren't perfect, they aren't released with the types of problems that seem to constantly plague the NCAA and Madden series. That makes me wonder what the EA Canada studio is doing that Tiburon isn't in order to insure quality control.

# 90 countryboy @ 07/26/08 01:45 PM
Quote:
I understand there are normal patch processes, but when you have such fundamental flaws in a game such as this one you might want to speed it up a bit.
How can they speed it up? If it takes a minimal of 1 month to patch the game and the game released on July 15th, I would still think that the quickest they could get a patch out would be late August.

Just my .02

# 91 roadman @ 07/26/08 01:45 PM
Quote:
If they sped it up, other things might go haywire. I certainly don't want that to happen, either.

Last year the patch came in December and everyone was as happy as a lark after the patch. This year it will come three months sooner while the college season still is in full swing.

# 92 countryboy @ 07/26/08 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASB37
I'd say it's pathetic that a game that is released in July is so buggy that consumers need to wait till September to be be able to play it. I can understand that for what the norm is one month may be fast for getting a patch out, what i am saying is what if NCAA 04 was released with these kinds of bugs and a patch wasn't something that was feasible at that time what would have happened? Patches should only be used to fix minor things games shouldn't have to get 2 patches shortly after release for it to be in working form. These game companies need to be held to some kind of accountability.

we're talking about two different things. I never said that its not pathetic that the game has these issues. I was talking that I don't find that them getting a patch out in September pathetic.

# 93 muggins @ 07/26/08 01:49 PM
Quote:
How can they speed it up? If it takes a minimal of 1 month to patch the game and the game released on July 15th, I would still think that the quickest they could get a patch out would be late August.

Just my .02
Why does it take a minimum of 1 month to patch? Have programmers come in on the weekends. When we have an issue with code at work our programmers will often stay til 7 pm on Saturday nights.

Not to mention that a few of these bugs were known about before the game even released...

# 94 roadman @ 07/26/08 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASB37
No i think alot of people would be happy, myself included, if this game worked correctly on July 15. Not September....if this game wasn't going to be funcitonal till September then take a few extra months and release it then.
I would love that too, but we aren't living in a perfect world.

I can't recall the last sports game that I've bought and played that there wasn't a patch for.

Madden, NCAA, NBA2k, College Hoops, MLB2k etc......

# 95 BIG CAROLINA @ 07/26/08 01:50 PM
We have a few choices here, either play it as is until the patch comes out, shelf it until the patch comes out or just get rid of the game.
All of this back and forth is getting people no where but frustrated. Everyone has there point of view and going back and forth is not going to change anything.

# 96 muggins @ 07/26/08 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
If they sped it up, other things might go haywire. I certainly don't want that to happen, either.

Last year the patch came in December and everyone was as happy as a lark after the patch. This year it will come three months sooner while the college season still is in full swing.
Well obviously not 'everyone'. I sold my copy in August. I did have an alternative new shiny game last year though

# 97 countryboy @ 07/26/08 01:52 PM
Quote:
Why does it take a minimum of 1 month to patch? Have programmers come in on the weekends. When we have an issue with code at work our programmers will often stay til 7 pm on Saturday nights.

Not to mention that a few of these bugs were known about before the game even released...
My guess would be that given that it usually takes 2 weeks for the patch to get thru all the certification processing, and the time it takes to identify the bugs, patch the bugs, test the patch, I would say that equates to about a months worth of work.

# 98 rhombic21 @ 07/26/08 02:01 PM
Quote:
My guess would be that given that it usually takes 2 weeks for the patch to get thru all the certification processing, and the time it takes to identify the bugs, patch the bugs, test the patch, I would say that equates to about a months worth of work.
Again though, I would add this.

They KNEW that the following issues were BIG problems with the game on June 1, and I know that they knew because I told several lead gameplay developers personally.

- Kickoff returns/punt returns
- Zones being messed up
- Faulty Pass Rush
- CPU never throwing deep
- Bad man coverage on HBs
- Stafe catching

They knew they were going to release a patch that would address gameplay issues post-release (they told me this as well), and they very easily could have been working on fixing those issues in the month and a half prior to the game even being released.

# 99 callmetaternuts @ 07/26/08 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21

They KNEW that the following issues were BIG problems with the game on June 1, and I know that they knew because I told several lead gameplay developers personally.

- Zones being messed up
- Faulty Pass Rush
- Stafe catching

They knew they were going to release a patch that would address gameplay issues post-release (they told me this as well), and they very easily could have been working on fixing those issues in the month and a half prior to the game even being released.
Adam, Can you comment on this? Not so much if you knew about this or were told this, but if these issues are being fixed or patched at all? I believe that two or three are (kickofff/punts, and zones), but i have not heard anything on pass rush (huge) and the man coverage on LB.

Any and all info you have, again, is appreciated. Plus, that list someone was supposed to send you last night. You said the patch would cover other things and the list we had was just gameplay. Does that mean the list we have is ALL of the gameplay stuff, or part of it?

Keep us in the loop por favor

# 100 countryboy @ 07/26/08 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21

- Zones being messed up
- Faulty Pass Rush
- Stafe catching

Point taken.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.