quickly, and from far out. You will now have to be more conservative
when shooting on the rush. If you aim all the way to the left or right,
your shot will go wide a lot more. Try aiming more towards the middle to
hit the net from outside. This fixes the cross goal where you shoot back
the other way, and the goal that goes in with the "curve" animation, and
a few others. There's a reason NHL players don't shoot from outside on
the rush very often. Dumping or trying to set up is a better play unless
you have an odd-man situation.

We reduced the time it took to get control of the goalie by 1/3.

When line changes are set to auto, and a user changes
lines/defense manually between whistles, the line/defensive pair you
asked for will come out (or stay out).

If you have line changes off in Be a Pro, line change player
chatter will be turned off.

When using a defenseman in BAP, BAP player won't get stuck on
the bench and will be able to call for change

The EASHL will now go to continuous 5v5 overtime until one team
scores. This way nobody has to sit out, and you get to decide who wins
(this is now just like the NHL Play-offs)

The proper own-goal cut scene will be shown where the player who
scored on himself is upset.

All cut scenes should now show players sitting in their
respective team's bench.

Increase AI team aggressiveness and the likelihood of them
getting called for a penalty on an infraction.

If Vision Control is pressed, you do not throw a hit when in
front of the attacking net. This helps with rebound shots.
Increase the likelihood of a penalty if the stick hits the body
during a stick lift.

Reduce the accuracy of shots for penalty shots and shootouts.
Aiming for just inside the post is a lot tougher now.
Just got prompted for an update. Have been trying things out, the most telling thing to me that I immediately tried out was the dump height, which after my d/l is different than before. Also, puck physics seem quite a bit different in a good way.

EDIT: It's the patch alright. Checked out the always up controls, dekeing is fixed. Unfortunately shot aim is still not correct.

EDIT: I don't know what some people were talking about in regards to shot accuracy being a problem. As long as you're shooting from a good platform the accuracy is just as good as before, some shots even seem to be better quality. You just can't be an idiot and shoot while skating full speed on the rush and expect to hot the net. Also whoever said this game was much better on SS post-patch was absolutely right. It's not even close, SS is fantastic after the patch. Haven't had any stupid goals or seen the cpu one-timer crazy. Can't wait to see what QB and some of the others have to say about this.

Edited by Millennium for front page posting. Good Job, Bad!

Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Matt Diesel @ 11/11/08 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
Can anyone comment about how well it plays online now. Is it more of a dump and chase game now with the improved flip dump?
Anyone comment? I am at work so I cant test it myself.

# 22 phillyfan23 @ 11/11/08 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic78
i played 4 games today post patch and didnt see one delay of game penalty in the 4 games. are u on 360?
the games i played were on the ps3........i will DL the 360 patch pretty soon. Anyways, keep an eye out for that. hopefully the 360 version is unaffected.

# 23 mudtiger @ 11/11/08 03:36 PM
I haven't seen a rise in delay of game calls either. What I have seen is the cpu taking a large number of penalties while my team does not. Only 3 games played, but I'm seeing 4.5 pp's per game for my team while the cpu has gotten a little over 1 per game on average.

# 24 bad_philanthropy @ 11/11/08 03:39 PM
I checked out the shooting accuracy drill and the default shot power generates lower powered shots than before the patch. I turned it up a notch and the cpu seems like it plays more of a threatening offensive game on SS again.

# 25 Qb @ 11/11/08 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I checked out the shooting accuracy drill and the default shot power generates lower powered shots than before the patch. I turned it up a notch and the cpu seems like it plays more of a threatening offensive game on SS again.
It would make sense if Littman & Co tuned shot power as well as shot accuracy in attempt to curb money goals in the EASHL. I don't think it was mentioned in the list, but it would be a logical step. Do the shots seems any slower at default during play or did you only notice it by the radar gun?

# 26 bad_philanthropy @ 11/11/08 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
It would make sense if Littman & Co tuned shot power as well as shot accuracy in attempt to curb money goals in the EASHL. I don't think it was mentioned in the list, but it would be a logical step. Do the shots seems any slower at default during play or did you only notice it by the radar gun?
It's hard to say, I think the bigger discrepancy during play is in the wrist shots. They don't seem to rifle off the stick like they used on any shot power. I think this combined with some tightening up of the goalie logic is what they did to eliminate money goals.

To get a really good wrister off you have to shoot it from a good platform by having your body balanced and being in a good place on the ice. The cpu seems to have a problem doing this, It appears they lack the logic to set their body up for the shot and end up firing a lot of floaty wristers into goalies.

The odd thing is that the slapshots actually seemed to have a bit more pace on them by default in spite of what the radar gun said. When I bumped the shot power up there didn't seem to be a noticeable difference visually on the slappers but the wrist shots seemed a little bit more alive.

# 27 mudtiger @ 11/11/08 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
It's hard to say, I think the bigger discrepancy during play is in the wrist shots. They don't seem to rifle off the stick like they used on any shot power. I think this combined with some tightening up of the goalie logic is what they did to eliminate money goals.

To get a really good wrister off you have to shoot it from a good platform by having your body balanced and being in a good place on the ice. The cpu seems to have a problem doing this, It appears they lack the logic to set their body up for the shot and end up firing a lot of floaty wristers into goalies.

The odd thing is that the slapshots actually seemed to have a bit more pace on them by default in spite of what the radar gun said. When I bumped the shot power up there didn't seem to be a noticeable difference visually on the slappers but the wrist shots seemed a little bit more alive.
I'd agree with that. The human player that already is in the habit of taking good shots will have no trouble scoring (or at least it shouldn't be too much harder post patch). The cpu was not in the habit of doing this. A lot of the cpu goals were generated out of thin air pre-patch. Some of those magic cpu goals have been cut back and the cpu cannot adjust to that.

Seems like to me good shots go in just as much now as they did pre patch, but poor shots now are less likely to go in. A lot of the cpu goals were scored off of poor shots pre patch so I'm thinking the difficulty in this game has gone down quite a bit with this patch. Only played 5 games now, but that's my early impression.

# 28 BIG CAROLINA @ 11/11/08 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtiger
I haven't seen a rise in delay of game calls either. What I have seen is the cpu taking a large number of penalties while my team does not. Only 3 games played, but I'm seeing 4.5 pp's per game for my team while the cpu has gotten a little over 1 per game on average.
I have played 3 games post patch using your sliders and in my last game each team had 6 PP's on 10 minute periods on AS. I feel like this is a brand new game post patch.

# 29 bad_philanthropy @ 11/11/08 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtiger
I'd agree with that. The human player that already is in the habit of taking good shots will have no trouble scoring (or at least it shouldn't be too much harder post patch). The cpu was not in the habit of doing this. A lot of the cpu goals were generated out of thin air pre-patch. Some of those magic cpu goals have been cut back and the cpu cannot adjust to that.

Seems like to me good shots go in just as much now as they did pre patch, but poor shots now are less likely to go in. A lot of the cpu goals were scored off of poor shots pre patch so I'm thinking the difficulty in this game has gone down quite a bit with this patch. Only played 5 games now, but that's my early impression.

I'm not sure if it's that the cpu logic has adjusted to the fact that it can't generate offense off of any shot anymore, but they seem much less decisive, even bumbling in the offensive zone now. Before, the cpu was able maintain possession a lot better in my offensive zone and made a lot more strong plays with the puck that I'm just not seeing anymore.

I like most of what the patch has to offer and I'll reserve final judgement until I get a good amount of games under my belt and play around with sliders.

# 30 nyisles16 @ 11/11/08 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAROLINA
I have played 3 games post patch using your sliders and in my last game each team had 6 PP's on 10 minute periods on AS. I feel like this is a brand new game post patch.
I suck on power plays... Just went 1 for 12 (yes - 12!!) powerplays..

(Columbus vs Dallas)

# 31 ManiacMatt1782 @ 11/11/08 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabulaRasa
Ok, get it. BTW, played a game today (which I won), but the guy I met scored some cheese goals. 2 turn around close to the post and shot high closest post, you know the half wrap around.

BTW, is there any need to hold down Vision control when you shot? Except on rebounds?

I dont see that goal as cheese, for 1 anyone who plays halfway decent D will stop it the player before he can shoot, most of the time and its also reacting to the goalie, it the goalie stays high and doesnt butterfly it wont go in. someone given time and space behind the net should find a way to score be it off a wrap around or a nice pass. thats setting up smart shots, not the bad shots that would never score in a pee wee game let alone the nhl. that the seem to have gotten rid of for now.

# 32 BIG CAROLINA @ 11/11/08 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles16

(Columbus vs Dallas)
WOW 12 powerplays. I am not that much better on them, I have good chances but nothing hits the net. Maybe I feel like I have to score being that it's a PP and end up pressing.

# 33 kerosene31 @ 11/11/08 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles16

(Columbus vs Dallas)
Well, in your defence you haven't had any chance to practice them until now

# 34 kerosene31 @ 11/11/08 08:50 PM
Did they nerf the poke check a bit or is it just me? I haven't played in awhile so my D may just be off.

Shooting is much better. I really like what they did so far.

The line change bug fix is long overdue!

# 35 RockyTop1 @ 11/11/08 10:57 PM
Look forward to trying this out post patch

# 36 Kingfish @ 11/11/08 10:59 PM
Have we got the 360 patch yet? Too much trouble to try to kick the wife out of her Viva Pinata game to find out...AND safer too

# 37 Steven547 @ 11/11/08 11:04 PM
Came out today.

# 38 Ziostilon @ 11/11/08 11:09 PM
do you need a XBOX live GOLD Memership to get the patch, or will a silver one do?

# 39 bad_philanthropy @ 11/11/08 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon
do you need a XBOX live GOLD Memership to get the patch, or will a silver one do?
No. Just be logged into your silver account and start up the game.

# 40 Kingfish @ 11/11/08 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven547
Came out today.
Alrighty and thanks for the info...she's getting booted off now!!!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.