quickly, and from far out. You will now have to be more conservative
when shooting on the rush. If you aim all the way to the left or right,
your shot will go wide a lot more. Try aiming more towards the middle to
hit the net from outside. This fixes the cross goal where you shoot back
the other way, and the goal that goes in with the "curve" animation, and
a few others. There's a reason NHL players don't shoot from outside on
the rush very often. Dumping or trying to set up is a better play unless
you have an odd-man situation.

We reduced the time it took to get control of the goalie by 1/3.

When line changes are set to auto, and a user changes
lines/defense manually between whistles, the line/defensive pair you
asked for will come out (or stay out).

If you have line changes off in Be a Pro, line change player
chatter will be turned off.

When using a defenseman in BAP, BAP player won't get stuck on
the bench and will be able to call for change

The EASHL will now go to continuous 5v5 overtime until one team
scores. This way nobody has to sit out, and you get to decide who wins
(this is now just like the NHL Play-offs)

The proper own-goal cut scene will be shown where the player who
scored on himself is upset.

All cut scenes should now show players sitting in their
respective team's bench.

Increase AI team aggressiveness and the likelihood of them
getting called for a penalty on an infraction.

If Vision Control is pressed, you do not throw a hit when in
front of the attacking net. This helps with rebound shots.
Increase the likelihood of a penalty if the stick hits the body
during a stick lift.

Reduce the accuracy of shots for penalty shots and shootouts.
Aiming for just inside the post is a lot tougher now.
Just got prompted for an update. Have been trying things out, the most telling thing to me that I immediately tried out was the dump height, which after my d/l is different than before. Also, puck physics seem quite a bit different in a good way.

EDIT: It's the patch alright. Checked out the always up controls, dekeing is fixed. Unfortunately shot aim is still not correct.

EDIT: I don't know what some people were talking about in regards to shot accuracy being a problem. As long as you're shooting from a good platform the accuracy is just as good as before, some shots even seem to be better quality. You just can't be an idiot and shoot while skating full speed on the rush and expect to hot the net. Also whoever said this game was much better on SS post-patch was absolutely right. It's not even close, SS is fantastic after the patch. Haven't had any stupid goals or seen the cpu one-timer crazy. Can't wait to see what QB and some of the others have to say about this.

Edited by Millennium for front page posting. Good Job, Bad!

Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 draven085 @ 11/12/08 11:50 AM
Anyone who is playing with aggressiveness lower than 6 isn't going to see the best the CPU has to offer, IMO. With aggressiveness maxed the CPU does a much better job of pressuring the puck in their own end and work hard to create scoring chances in the offensive zone. In early games with aggression lower the AI was far too passive in all zones and it made generating scoring chances far too easy.

I don't think anyone can say with any degree of certainty what the AI Learning slider does but I'm coming around to the argument that it is a slider for 'CPU Cheapness', for lack of a better term. With the slider set higher the CPU's poke checks and stick lifts seem more effective and they are definitely able to corral loose pucks more effectively relative to the ability of the human controlled team to do so. Post-patch I have moved to superstar difficulty but have lowered my AI Learning slider from six to three and may consider dropping it to two as I found the AI's ability to control loose pucks unrealistic in my test games last night.

# 62 kerosene31 @ 11/12/08 12:26 PM
I forgot to add, all my sliders were default except for fatigue for realistic line changes.

# 63 Fiddy @ 11/12/08 01:10 PM
well i just bumped the agressivnes slider from 2 to 6. i got tore up by the Flyers 7-0. (7 min periods). i outshot them 33-27, they were 4-5 on the PP and i was 0-5. bah lol.. i had my chances and didnt really feel cheated, they just outplayed me this game.

# 64 renatus @ 11/12/08 01:47 PM
oh boy thanks for the always up controls..i could never get a slap shoot off going down screen....

# 65 Matt Diesel @ 11/12/08 02:13 PM
Its nice for OTP to see player attempting money goals over and over only to be denied while teams that play a good cycling game dominate. I only played a few games online last night, but I can tell the money shots are greatly reduced.

I am loving the new height for the dumps as well as the no checking with the vision control held down.

# 66 bad_philanthropy @ 11/12/08 02:22 PM
I never had my AI learning or agression lower than 6 before the patch and haven't changed it. Bottom line is that the cpu isn't as capable. I've been trying to mess around with sliders to no avail yet, but I'm not going to give up.

Also, just to make it clear that I really like all of the other changes that have been implemented with the patch. QB, would it be possible to send off an email to the community rep expressing concern? At least after you get some more single player games under you. I'm pretty sure you'll draw the same conclusions as others here.

# 67 nyr30 @ 11/12/08 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by draven085
Anyone who is playing with aggressiveness lower than 6 isn't going to see the best the CPU has to offer, IMO. With aggressiveness maxed the CPU does a much better job of pressuring the puck in their own end and work hard to create scoring chances in the offensive zone. In early games with aggression lower the AI was far too passive in all zones and it made generating scoring chances far too easy.

I don't think anyone can say with any degree of certainty what the AI Learning slider does but I'm coming around to the argument that it is a slider for 'CPU Cheapness', for lack of a better term. With the slider set higher the CPU's poke checks and stick lifts seem more effective and they are definitely able to corral loose pucks more effectively relative to the ability of the human controlled team to do so. Post-patch I have moved to superstar difficulty but have lowered my AI Learning slider from six to three and may consider dropping it to two as I found the AI's ability to control loose pucks unrealistic in my test games last night.

I totally agree with you here, when the CPU dumps the puck in even if you get there first the CPU will always come out with the puck. Loose pucks are the same the CPU will always seem to come up with the puck when there is a battle going on its just not realistic and what it does is just frustrate the hell out of me.

The way the CPU can control the puck when its bouncing its so much faster than the user, with the CPU its like bounce and bang its under control but with the user its bounce and bounce over the stick which leaves you flat footed and basically under pressure.

Even on the big checks when you hit someone watch where the puck goes probably about 75% of the time, it goes straight to a CPU player. I posted in another thread that i could be done with the game all-star too easy superstar just to frustrating.

All of a sudden i cant score its like every game is 1-0, 2-1 and the shot count is still the same, usually pretty even. i mix up my plays but its like whenever i get a sight of goal the slightest nudge and i am off the puck but when the same happens on the CPU its hardly effects them.

I am at the stage where i dont know what too do

# 68 bad_philanthropy @ 11/12/08 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr30
I totally agree with you here, when the CPU dumps the puck in even if you get there first the CPU will always come out with the puck. Loose pucks are the same the CPU will always seem to come up with the puck when there is a battle going on its just not realistic and what it does is just frustrate the hell out of me.

The way the CPU can control the puck when its bouncing its so much faster than the user, with the CPU its like bounce and bang its under control but with the user its bounce and bounce over the stick which leaves you flat footed and basically under pressure.

Even on the big checks when you hit someone watch where the puck goes probably about 75% of the time, it goes straight to a CPU player. I posted in another thread that i could be done with the game all-star too easy superstar just to frustrating.

All of a sudden i cant score its like every game is 1-0, 2-1 and the shot count i still the same and i mix up my plays but its like whenever i get a sight of goal the slightest nudge and i am off the puck but when the same happens on the CPU its hardly effects them.

I am at the stage where i dont know what too do
I have sort of noticed this as well. My guys just can't seem to settle a puck down with the same effectiveness as the cpu. I'm even sure to make certain that I'm not trying to get possession of it while going too fast. They also come out of battles for it as the loser most of the time.

It hasn't hurt me so far though post-patch, which is the thing, with as much as the cpu is able to turn loose pucks over on me they should be able to generate some offense I even bumped the shot accuracy all the way up to five fore them.

# 69 nyr30 @ 11/12/08 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I have sort of noticed this as well. My guys just can't seem to settle a puck down with the same effectiveness as the cpu. I'm even sure to make certain that I'm not trying to get possession of it while going too fast. They also come out of battles for it as the loser most of the time.

It hasn't hurt me so far though post-patch, which is the thing, with as much as the cpu is able to turn loose pucks over on me they should be able to generate some offense I even bumped the shot accuracy all the way up to five fore them.

I also upped shot accuracy to 3 with shot power at 3 but its still pretty bad, i love the fact more pucks miss the net and EA have done a good job of getting rid of the cheese goals but for me shooting seems like it has a dead feeling to it now.

I am on superstar with catcatch's sliders and everything is pretty even the shots, penalties, faceoffs and even my time of attack is always a minute or two higher but battling for a 1-0 or 2-1 is fun every few games but it shouldnt be that way every game.

EA did the right thing getting rid of the cheese goal but i feel it has come at the cost of some of the flair the game had.

# 70 ohyeahbaby123 @ 11/12/08 03:41 PM
LOL I must suck... I just lost a game where I gave up 4 goals.

# 71 Brian Gee @ 11/12/08 04:43 PM
If you are giving up goals, just control one of your defensemen whenever the other team has the puck. All of my goals allowed were because I was pulling my wings and centers out of position...Since I've committed to the defensemen, I'm 6-0.

# 72 zudatron @ 11/12/08 04:48 PM
I would caution against making any generalizations after playing only one game with the patch or new slider settings. That will just breed confusion.

I played four games in my dynasty with the patch and lost three of them (all star level). Those were my first losses in 15 games.

The AI feels a lot more like 08. It's hard to get the puck from them in the offensive zone and they make some very nice passing pays. I believe it has to do with the less effective stick lift, which was OP before, but was the only way to get the puck. Also they do less one timers which means they set up more in the zone. For the first time their time on attack was equal or greater than mine.

I found it really hard to score, so perhaps defense has been improved.

Online was funny because of how much the cheese shots were missing the net.

So it's definitely better than before the patch.

# 73 7up3345 @ 11/12/08 04:59 PM
I like the variety now post patch. I'll get the 1-0 2-1 games then i'll get a 4-3 5-4 games. Pretty solid game now i think.

# 74 bad_philanthropy @ 11/12/08 06:42 PM
Finally had the cpu score four goals on me (still won 6-4). It seems as if the cpu can get two goals on you your goalie's abilities take a bit of a hit and the cpu gets a a boost and becomes more competent offensively (which is a good thing imo), I just wish they could play a little bit more consistently on offense prior to scoring two goals.

# 75 Roscosuper II @ 11/12/08 07:02 PM
I like the game post patch on SS offline. I play 10 minute periods using default sliders, but put game speed 0, pass speed 0, fatigue 6, recovery 0. I also use auto aim, which allows me to deke better and set up for shots better.

I've played 6 or 7 games thus far, and they've all been really dynamic in their overall feel. Stats were good, except for hitting, which is just another one of EA's blunders.

What I like:
More loose pucks, which leads to more "somewhat battles".

The game seems less one sided, like I'm competing against a hockey team and not a set of controlled variables.

Shots miss the net and you get a lot of "ohh and ahh" situations.

I'm forced to not just dump the puck but move the puck quick.
Some times I just have to get rid of it, i.e. just dump it up the boards wherever whenever. The same seems to hold true for the cpu team too.

Hard dump is better too. I can fire it in cross ice and get good results.

What I don't like:
The cpu effectively uses the hold/tie up control (which is good) but I CAN'T without fighting most of the time. I want fighting in the game, but this is ridiculous.

I'm starting too see the "delay of game" penalty too much for the cpu and it's always when they're killing off a penalty. I have yet to take one.

I had no problems with the dump height as was, I think it's too high now and it's more of a jump ball. Players are gathering underneath and waiting. It should be something that varies.

CPU teammates don't do their jobs sometimes and just stand and watch....WTF I have to do everything?

Now that there are more penalties, the clock has to stay the same speed. Especially when you use 10 min periods. It messes too much with the stats. They need better AI logic for PP/PK. no one moves to get open, they just stand behind someone and look at you. I don't need more time, I just need better teammates. And of course the cpu will just flick it around 7 or 8 times and fire off some ******** shot.

Overall, good improvement. Yes, it's the best hockey game to date (blah blah blah), but it's still not a great "hockey" game IMO.

# 76 Splitter77 @ 11/13/08 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscosuper II
I like the game post patch on SS offline. I play 10 minute periods using default sliders, but put game speed 0, pass speed 0, fatigue 6, recovery 0. I also use auto aim, which allows me to deke better and set up for shots better.

I've played 6 or 7 games thus far, and they've all been really dynamic in their overall feel. Stats were good, except for hitting, which is just another one of EA's blunders.

What I like:

The game seems less one sided, like I'm competing against a hockey team and not a set of controlled variables.

Some times I just have to get rid of it, i.e. just dump it up the boards wherever whenever. The same seems to hold true for the cpu team too.

What I don't like:
The cpu effectively uses the hold/tie up control (which is good) but I CAN'T without fighting most of the time. I want fighting in the game, but this is ridiculous.

I'm starting too see the "delay of game" penalty too much for the cpu and it's always when they're killing off a penalty. I have yet to take one.

I had no problems with the dump height as was, I think it's too high now and it's more of a jump ball. Players are gathering underneath and waiting. It should be something that varies.

CPU teammates don't do their jobs sometimes and just stand and watch....WTF I have to do everything?

Now that there are more penalties, the clock has to stay the same speed. Especially when you use 10 min periods. It messes too much with the stats. They need better AI logic for PP/PK. no one moves to get open, they just stand behind someone and look at you. I don't need more time, I just need better teammates. And of course the cpu will just flick it around 7 or 8 times and fire off some ******** shot.

Overall, good improvement. Yes, it's the best hockey game to date (blah blah blah), but it's still not a great "hockey" game IMO.
excactly. its the best hockey game ever made. But its not even close to how I would want one to play. Oh well- someday.

# 77 bad_philanthropy @ 11/13/08 03:19 AM
The flip dump is really silly. It seems like the puck is made of hollow plastic the way it stays up in the air. Next year I would like to see the puck physics convey a better sense of how heavy a puck actually is. I think the puck in all situations feels too light, and that includes in shooting. I'm not sure how to convey a palpable sense of how heavy a puck is on one's stick but I hope that the developers can.

# 78 nyr30 @ 11/13/08 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
The flip dump is really silly. It seems like the puck is made of hollow plastic the way it stays up in the air. Next year I would like to see the puck physics convey a better sense of how heavy a puck actually is. I think the puck in all situations feels too light, and that includes in shooting. I'm not sure how to convey a palpable sense of how heavy a puck is on one's stick but I hope that the developers can.

Thats one thing about 2K9 the puck physics are unbelieveable and if EA could get it to that level it would do so much for this game.

# 79 original6 @ 11/13/08 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscosuper II

What I like:

What I don't like:

I'd agree with pretty much everything you've stated here except that "it's the best hockey game to date". These flaws really detract from the game and make it very frustrating and unenjoyable, imo.

The goalies are still brain dead and can't hold on to a puck. In addition, they still have to drop the puck to cover it and at least once per game, do something strange like flop unncessarily or leave the crease for no reason, resulting in a cheese goal for the cpu.

The teammate ai is still just as dumb as ever. Nobody wants to move or get open or even keep the front of the net clear. I have however noticed my teammates doing better on defense breaking up passes and shots, and actually picking up loose pucks. Other than that, they might as well be zombies on skates. If I don't take immediate control of them when they gain possession of the puck, they don't know what to do with it.

The physics in this game still boggle the mind. My first goal "post-patch" was scored when a rebound came rocketing off the goalies pad to one of my wingers. Now this was a left-handed winger and the puck bounced out behind him. But, somehow he was able to magically grab the puck from behind while still on the forehand and whip the puck into the shortside of the net in one motion. Very unrealistic and very unsatisfying way to score.

Penalties are fixed...........for the cpu. I got them to take plenty of penalties, but I only got one call. And as noted by others, I was able to get 5 on 3's pretty regularly.

Overall, can't say I'm too impressed with the patch. It hasn't saved offline dynasty play for me by any means. I've yet to try it out on BAP. Hopefully, that gameplay will be tolerable. Otherwise, it's another year of "fail" for EA hockey for me.

# 80 FlyingFinn @ 11/13/08 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PodSquad
I played some online games after the patch, and it doesnt seem like much has changed. Interference is still the #1 way of playing defense, and hitting power is as stupid as ever.
I agree. That was the only thing I wanted fixed for online play and it wasn't. I had learned to deal with/prevent all the cheese goals with good positional play. My quick passing offense really struggles when my opponent can just check the player I am passing to before the puck is even close to him.

NOTE about line changes. When on the PP/PK be sure to pick your D-Line in addition to you O-line since picking PPF1 doesn't necessarily put PPD1 on the ice so you may end up with tired D pairs. I also noticed my players did not change on the fly as well as they used to. Several times I had to just take an offsides to get a stoppage in play so my players would change. I kept bringing up the line change and selecting my line(s) but they would not change. I noticed this most often after being on the PP/PK where I had my PPF1 on the ice and when it was over, I tried to put my OFF1 line out there but my PPF1 line wouldn't leave the ice.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.