Home
Madden 2010 News Post

WOW! What a way to end a half!!!!

Well Madden (and NFL) fans, as promised, we’re bringing you a sneak peek at Madden NFL 10 by releasing a feature that you’ll see in this year’s game! Remember, it’s only a mere 6½ months away!

We have a big goal as a team this year - to relay out as much information as possible. Hopefully in the process we can make the development of this game extremely transparent so you all, the fans, can get an inside look at how the game gets made. In doing so, we’ll often be discussing new features with you as they are finalized and polished, meaning that each and every one of you out there can give suggestions directly to us to try and shape the game towards your preferred direction. Madden NFL as a Franchise has one overarching goal it has to reach every year, and that is to be the best sports game in history. I’m going to leave the discussion to you all on whether we’ve reached that goal in year’s past, but I do know that now we all get to be a part of making it happen this year. You are no longer posting to forums in vain!

So as we sat down as a team and tried to decide what information we wanted to release first, it really made the most sense to focus more on the technical details for the first part of the year. This is for a couple of reasons – one, the majority of the people looking into Madden info right now are most likely going to be the more hardcore fans (who appreciate the details), and two, we obviously want to save more of the big name feature stuff for later in the year closer to launch time. You should see this theme continue throughout the first few months of our updates. Another reason we really like this approach is that some updates (this post included) are purely about new technology that actually hasn’t been fully fleshed out in the game yet. So the hope is that we can take feedback from the community in regards to maybe new ideas they’d like to see us implement with the new technology. This is one of the most exciting aspects for us as a team in regards to our interaction with the community throughout the development cycle for Madden NFL 10.

Enough talk – on to the new stuff!

Let me tell you a story of playing Madden NFL.
It’s 3rd and 10, and I’m down 14-7 against my buddy over Xbox LIVE. He’s a pretty conservative player, so I know he’ll sit his safeties back a bit and stay with man coverage on my outside receivers. I’m going to try and send my slot WR on a deep fly to clear the safety out, and hit my #1 WR on a Deep In. I saw Kurt Warner and the Rams with their "greatest show on turf" make this look easy week after week in the late 90’s! So I take the snap and analyze the situation quickly – no blitz, and the safeties are dropping out…money. I wish I was better at going through progressions, but I’m not - I’m pretty much watching my #1 WR all the way. He’s just coming out of his break on the deep in, and he’s got at least 2 steps on the defender trailing him in man coverage. I fire it in there, a perfect bullet pass where I think only he can catch it. Right before the ball gets to him the DB turns around and in one quick motion steps in front, picks it off, and is headed back the other way. HUH? THE DB NEVER EVEN SAW THE BALL!!

Ever happened to you? Did your controller survive to tell the tale?

It is my pleasure to introduce Madden’s newest piece of technology, one that is also shared within many of the EA SPORTS games, called "Procedural Awareness". What is it? We’ll you’ve likely heard of “head tracking” with IK. If you haven’t, it’s a way to turn the players head around to face a target dynamically, without the need for canned animations. Well, think of Procedural Awareness (PA for short) as the “next-gen” version of head tracking. Since it is so early in the year, unfortunately I can’t show you any videos of it running in the game, but I can show some “tech demos” of sorts:

This is definitely pretty cool stuff…we can tune how fast the player switches between different targets, and then also how he behaves when he locks on and follows a target. You can already envision this being used by DB’s and WR’s when the ball is thrown, QB’s as they go through progressions, safeties as they drop in zone, and obviously many more cases. In terms of visual fidelity, PA is also a major step up from any other normal IK head tracking solution. We’re in the middle of some changes so I would rather not show you our player model’s face in the tool (his jaw is missing…it isn’t pretty ), but I can show a video of PA running in the tool with an NBA Live player model – Dwayne Wade. This shows off how the eyes track along with the head, the ability to dynamically “blink”, some really smooth blending between different targets, and even how the spine and shoulders can be “pulled” to follow the eyes/head as well:

There’s one last cool feature within PA, and that is a concept of “procedural attitudes”. An attitude is basically a collection of a bunch of different variables that alter the way a player “looks” while he is head tracking. So for the above videos, you basically saw just one attitude – “alert”. But PA allows you to not only just tweak how quickly he reacts and the amount of time it takes him to switch targets and such, but you can also toy with a big collection of variables for players to actually express emotion with their head and eye movement. A big problem in many sports games is making characters feel “alive” – and it applies to Madden often times as soon as the play is over. You don’t want to see a bunch of zombies walking around, but you also don’t want to spend months writing code and adding animations to make players act a little more lifelike (especially when there are so many features we need to attack to more realistically emulate football gameplay). Here’s where PA helps tremendously…it allows artists to create subtle emotional attitudes for players without the need of an engineer. Again there is ZERO canned animation at work here…it’s all totally dynamic and can be created by an animator adjusting a few sliders in the tool. Below is an example video of a few attitudes:

Alright, so what’s Procedural Awareness in a nutshell?
“The ability to procedurally manipulate the spine, neck, head, and eyes on a player in the game; and also add layers of emotion/attitudes on top of those manipulations”.

So the videos really just showcase the technology…not how we implement that technology in our game to actually change the way the game is played. My story above about getting picked off by a DB that can’t see the ball? Well now we can make a DB track the ball realistically and we’ll make sure that he has a true line of sight before he can make a play on the ball. And if/when he gets burned, he can dynamically look down and shake his head with zero new animations or engineering support.

A very exciting thing for our team while posting this is that we are not using PA’s full functionality in the game right now. We have the standard “alert” attitude hooked up for 1) DB’s and WR’s to track the ball, 2) defenders to track the ballcarrier, and 3) the ballcarrier to track threats. So I'm passing it off to you guys:

- Where else would you like to see PA active?
- Are there any new attitudes would you like to see?
- Do you have any suggestions on the best area you think we should actually use the attitudes that we’ve created?

We will follow up in a few months (once we’re actually showing videos of the game) and show what all we changed/added thanks to community feedback. I personally can’t wait!

Enjoy the rest of the Super Bowl!

- Ian Cummings
Lead Designer, Madden NFL 10

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 cedwebb @ 02/02/09 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwjr
Nice addition.

Problem is will we even be able to notice this during an actual game?

Also, this seems to suggest that some version of the passing cone would be required for this function correctly, at least for a QB. Is this accurate?
I know this question is not for me but I thought I would give my interpretation of this feature. I could be way over thinking this but to me it would seem that this feature would create the "vision cone" just by the nature of its design.

Whats really exciting and again I might be jumping the gun as far as what this tech is capable of, but again by its design in theory could re-create a lot of features we have seen in Madden throughout the years.

Let me explain...if players are now only reacting to what they see you have now created the vision cone for the QB again. You also have re-created the feature once known as "run to daylight" as your lead blockers will now react to what the see around them based on AWR.

Those two plus now this could possibly change the interaction with the offensive and defensive line play, and of course the WR and DB interaction will be completely different with this tech implemented. And all of these things were high on the list of most wishlists around here.

It seems that this one little feature might open the door to a ton of improvements that could all be done in one shot where we have in the past seen them put in the game as a main feature in previous years.

Just a crazy thought that I wanted to throw out there!

# 162 Blkcanes @ 02/02/09 06:55 PM
I have no idea if this has been mention, and I'm not about to read through all the post but I do have a question. If it's not to much to ask I would like to know do the Quarterbacks keep that bounce in the pocket when they are waiting? I see that in the little demo you have it seems like he's keeping his feet moving. Is that going to stay in the game? Just looking at that from the back reminds me of Tom Brady during the 2007 season when he had all the time just waiting.

# 163 Ian_Cummings @ 02/02/09 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Hmmm... ok, so... the only way this is a really substantial leap is if the AI works off this technology... ie a DB can't intercept a ball he can't see.
That's why I wrote this in the post my man:
"Well now we can make a DB track the ball realistically and we’ll make sure that he has a true line of sight before he can make a play on the ball."

# 164 DolphinDave @ 02/02/09 07:57 PM
Is this going to be in the PC version of the game if there is a PC version?

# 165 knucklez @ 02/02/09 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
That's why I wrote this in the post my man:
"Well now we can make a DB track the ball realistically and we’ll make sure that he has a true line of sight before he can make a play on the ball."
That doesn't really answer his question. What many people are asking is will the DB still make interceptions that he has no business making just because he's now has his eyes on the ball. It seems like your trying to justify the ridiculous interceptions by saying the DB will now be looking at the ball while he does it.

# 166 humblerumbler @ 02/02/09 08:02 PM
what i want to know is with this technology will below average dbs still play EXACTLY like Champ Bailey and Nnamdi Asomugha? If they see the ball will they still warp to the ball unrealistically or will they actually have to have time to get into position, can you now throw behind players w/o getting picked off all the time? lastly will EVERY db and LB have Vince Carters hops when they see the ball on deep fly routes?

# 167 BigDuke @ 02/02/09 08:23 PM
I think it's a solid addition to making the gameplay feel more realistic. My suggestion is to limit it to where it will have an effect on the gameplay or where we users will actually see it prominently during the game...especially if including this is memory/processor intensive.

For instance, in the interception example you gave, I think it's a perfect fit. The DB should not make blind interceptions. A few other examples:

1) O-Linemen heads turning, looking for oncoming pass rushers to block. A blocker shouldn't blindly slide into the path of an oncoming rusher.

2) Pass rushers looking for a scrambling QB or at the RB, instead of the QB, on a play-action fake. This would give the DL a more realistic feel of searching for the QB or ball carrier, especially on a fake or when the play breaks down.

3) DBs peeking into the backfield. That DB caught looking into the backfield might just let his WR blow right passed him. Or that DB might just make a jump on a pass thrown in front of him.

But if you're going into as much detail as including Barry Sanders-type eye movement, the only time we players will ever see that is during a replay if we zoom onto the player's face. We're not going to see it during the actual play because the camera is zoomed out. While this would be cool to see, there's no point to including that much detail, especially if it drains resources.

# 168 Ian_Cummings @ 02/02/09 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklez
That doesn't really answer his question. What many people are asking is will the DB still make interceptions that he has no business making just because he's now has his eyes on the ball. It seems like your trying to justify the ridiculous interceptions by saying the DB will now be looking at the ball while he does it.

Sorry - I thought it answered it. We want to make it so a DB can't intercept a ball when he can't see it. Which to me means he can't make ridiculous interceptions. Sorry if we're getting hung up in the semantics. Like this...

...would no longer be able to happen, ya know?

# 169 adembroski @ 02/02/09 08:41 PM
I guess my question is this: Has this DB vision been implemented, or are we looking at future iterations before we see that fully implemented?

This is an awesome first step, and I love the idea behind it, but are we going to see the functional (as opposed to the cosmetic) effects of this in Madden 10?

(I assume the answer, and it's a reasonable one, is "we can't be sure yet")

# 170 Exonerated @ 02/02/09 08:47 PM
I think its functional since Ian has just said there won't be ridiculous blind interceptions anymore.

As for fully fledged DB vision (is there a difference?), we'd have to hear more i guess.

# 171 IXI DECAY IXI @ 02/02/09 08:56 PM
Sounds like a pretty cool idea. I really like the facts that the DB's will now have to see the ball to intercept it. I hope this idea can carry over to USER's also. I really don't like cheesing against my Human opponents or CPU one's.

Maybe you could add some type of option to where your player can't intercept the ball unless he is in the right position and looking at it, no matter how many times you press the catch/swat button...

# 172 Exonerated @ 02/02/09 09:00 PM
By pressing the swat/catch animation, the player should be able to put up his hands even though he aint looking at the ball and has no idea where it is.

# 173 IXI DECAY IXI @ 02/02/09 09:08 PM
Yea, that would be pretty cool too though. I'm just afraid that USER's who can still see the ball will be able to press it at the right time and it result in a lucky interception or knockdown...

# 174 Rocky @ 02/02/09 09:11 PM
Quote:
Sorry - I thought it answered it. We want to make it so a DB can't intercept a ball when he can't see it. Which to me means he can't make ridiculous interceptions. Sorry if we're getting hung up in the semantics. Like this...

I understand. Thank god, that will be gone.

But it would be nice to see the DB put up some kind of face shield animation, because he can actually see the receiver make a play on the ball. That should trigger the appropriate animation, IMO.

But yeah, that DB turning 360 degrees and making that play is rather ridiculous.

# 175 vabeachboy19 @ 02/02/09 09:23 PM
Quote:

Ian,
Im glad you posted this video. Please remove this catch animation from Madden! It is the most unrealistic catch animation. Like i said in my earlier post, the db / receiver should not be able to turn around in a full sprint and make a play on the ball. The db/receiver should have to 'throttle' down and GATHER his self before attempting a catch like this. And if someone did choose to attempt a catch like this it would result in him landing on his back from his momentum. (as a side note running backs in madden 09 use this catch on swing passes ALL THE TIME when in reality it should result in a nice smooth over the shoulder animation)

# 176 Unforgiven @ 02/02/09 09:54 PM
Ian, does this mean we'll FINALLY see over the shoulder catch animations?

And I mean, literally, I'd LOVE to see the QB lob it over the receiver, with seeing the receiver's eyes looking straight up at the ball that is directly over him, and watch his eyes follow the ball straight into his out-stretched arms

# 177 DTown @ 02/02/09 10:13 PM
Quote:

&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp
&nbsp

Ian you explained it perfectly... They are asking questions that have nothing to do with this part of the game.
What they are asking is aside from having to have a view of the ball will the defender be able to jop 10 feet and pick the ball off? Will a safety be able to go from 0 to 60 and make it to the ball in time to make the INT?
I understand what you mean and I am sure most do as well. With this new feature the deffender will not be able to make a play on a ball that he can't see.
These guys want to know if you are also making changes to stop the super human abilities to make plays on balls that they have no business making. Though it has nothing to do with this feature I think it is a great question...

# 178 DTown @ 02/02/09 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I understand. Thank god, that will be gone.

But it would be nice to see the DB put up some kind of face shield animation, because he can actually see the receiver make a play on the ball. That should trigger the appropriate animation, IMO.

But yeah, that DB turning 360 degrees and making that play is rather ridiculous.
180 degrees... 360 would mean jumped spun all the way around and cought an over the shoulder pass...

# 179 Gossennator @ 02/02/09 10:37 PM
Edit: double post

# 180 Gossennator @ 02/02/09 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTown
180 degrees... 360 would mean jumped spun all the way around and cought an over the shoulder pass...
It would still be ridiculous though..

But I I think you guys need to put a reaction for winning or losing a challenge or official review. This includes coaches & different players would react the usually would.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.