Home
News Post

Playstation.Blog has posted another MLB 09 The Show blog. This one covers Road to the Show Training Modes.

Quote:
"Hey everybody. My name is Eddy Cramm (Senior Designer), and it’s my turn to bring you MLB 09 The Show blog #3…or #4…maybe #5. Not really sure which one we are on. Bear with me, we are all working some long hours right now getting this game polished and out the door!

I am here to talk about the new features in Road to the Show. When all of this RTTS stuff started 3 years ago, the whole idea behind it was to give a unique career mode experience that focused exclusively on you. Initially that meant that we would fast-forward you to your events so that you only dealt with your fielding plays and your plate appearances, etc. Because lets be honest, who wants to sit out in RF during a career mode and watch three groundballs to the infield. It sucked in little league and it sucks in a career mode, too. But as RTTS progressed, our focus grew to be more than that. It became more about giving the user more control of his path to the majors.

Last year really took a huge step in the goals and points system. The guys on the front-end team like Aaron Luke, Kolbe Launchbaugh, and Jeff Ullman have built a pretty nifty system. That’s right…“nifty.” And from a gameplay standpoint, we have always wanted RTTS to feel like you are doing exactly what you would be doing, from going to Spring training, to working up through the minor leagues, etc. But success isn’t just about what you do in that game situation. Success comes from being prepared when that game moment arises. And contrary to what Allen Iverson thinks, that means practice. That thought process is what brought us to our main new feature this year. Training mode."

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 vinny_b @ 02/03/09 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike75
O my god!

I can not get over this. From that video and blog it looks like Sony made the BP almost exactly what I was asking them to do months ago.

See guys it pays to ask if they can add things because they sure do listen to our comments

Thanks again Sony!!

I am really blown away!

the title looks unbelievable. Props to the SCEA team. They work their tails off.

by the way, Mike: ask for full weather implementation, for MLB 2010. Rain delays and/or rain outs. Cold days (with cold breath), to begin the season with the elements negatively impacting the hitting. Likewise, for the ball carrying ++++ on hot evenings. At least, this is my #1 wish for 2010.

thank you, SCEA.

# 42 AUTiger1 @ 02/03/09 11:19 PM
I love it. Finally we can improve what we want to and not worry about things we don't want to. If we want to be Adam Dunn we can be him. If we want to be Juan Pierre we can be him. Thanks SCEA!

# 43 vinny_b @ 02/03/09 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I told you the new minor league stadiums look great McKenzie is sweet.

please tell me Wagon Wheel Stadium, remains in the game. ??

(my favorite stadium of all-time)

# 44 Knight165 @ 02/03/09 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_b
please tell me Wagon Wheel Stadium, remains in the game. ??

(my favorite stadium of all-time)
I'm not sure if you're breakin' balls....but yeah...it's in there.

M.K.
Knight165

# 45 TwinsTerritory @ 02/03/09 11:26 PM
This looks great, and the fact that in 2010 we'll have pitching and fielding to go with this (Plus I'm sure a great rendition of Target Field!) is just as awesome!

# 46 vinny_b @ 02/03/09 11:39 PM
Quote:

M.K.
Knight165

lol. Thanks, Knight. Actually, i was serious. Did not make it on a MLB roster (in MLB 08), and Wagon Wheel was my 'home' park.

# 47 tbone1 @ 02/03/09 11:51 PM
Quote:

M.K.
Knight165
NOOOOOOOO!!!

# 48 Knight165 @ 02/04/09 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone1
NOOOOOOOO!!!
I'm not sure..
What's the no for?

M.K.
Knight165

# 49 Motown @ 02/04/09 01:32 AM
Knight or anyone, about BP...is there still collision detection in BP...like balls ricocheting off facades & different HR cams i.e. no doubters, etc...
thanks

# 50 Knight165 @ 02/04/09 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown
Knight or anyone, about BP...is there still collision detection in BP...like balls ricocheting off facades & different HR cams i.e. no doubters, etc...
thanks
I know the ball hits the catchers glove.
(I suck at hitting if you haven't figured that out)

M.K.
Knight165

# 51 Knight165 @ 02/04/09 01:40 AM
Yes...I'm pretty sure.
Also...the balls stay out on the field if I remember correctly!

M.K.
Knight165

# 52 huggerorange73 @ 02/04/09 01:43 AM
I'm going to be wasting alot of time in BP.....this looks like a boatload of fun!

# 53 tbone1 @ 02/04/09 01:53 AM
Quote:
I'm not sure..
What's the no for?

M.K.
Knight165
I was stating no because I always played my Pawtucket games at that cartoonish looking stadium out located in the west.
( urealistic).
I was really hoping that stadium would replaced thats all.

# 54 Knight165 @ 02/04/09 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone1
I was stating no because I always played my Pawtucket games at that cartoonish looking stadium out located in the west.
( urealistic).
I was really hoping that stadium would replaced thats all.
Ahhh..

I thought I was in trouble for something!
I was thinking..."how did my wife get onto tbone's computer?"!

M.K.
Knight165

# 55 thaSLAB @ 02/04/09 02:04 AM
Quote:
Also...the balls stay out on the field if I remember correctly!

M.K.
Knight165
Yeah you can actually see that in the video too @ 1:11 and again @ 1:28... there are balls on the infield.

# 56 bucksfan07 @ 02/04/09 02:12 AM
March 3rd can't get here soon enough, this game looks beyond incredible

# 57 silver540i @ 02/04/09 04:39 AM
Yep, its official. This game has everything any fan would want. Great mode and it included just about everything I wanted....choosing pitcher, stadium, pitch type, etc. Wind speed/direction would be nice :-) I'd like to try and hit some monster shots in certain stadiums.

Also, am I wrong or is the catcher mit sound different this yr? Sounds meatier...same with bat sound.

# 58 brunnoce @ 02/04/09 05:45 AM
knight, maybe this was anwsered, but i couldnt find, can we chose the ballpark we want to do BP in the main menu Trainning option(the one where u can chose batter and pitcher) ?

# 59 SoxFan01605 @ 02/04/09 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunnoce
knight, maybe this was anwsered, but i couldnt find, can we chose the ballpark we want to do BP in the main menu Trainning option(the one where u can chose batter and pitcher) ?
Here you go buddy...quoted from the blog

"Both the Batting and the Base Stealing training are also available in the Main Menu as practice options. These practice options are the same structure except you get to choose who you want to hit or run with, which pitcher you want to face, AND you can choose which pitches he will throw at you from his repertoire. So if you just want to face Santana’s slider, or Zito’s curve, or mix in a combo like Hoffman’s change/fastball, go for it. You can also choose any stadium in case you want to try to hit it over the Green Monster."

Copied the whole paragraph as it has more detials on the selectable options for it in the main menu

# 60 brunnoce @ 02/04/09 06:15 AM
thanx man!
i did read the blog, dunno how i didnt see that! :LOL:

anyway, thanx a lot, that will do it just fine for me till we get HR derby!
ill just pick up some old 80mph reliver and tell him to only throw middle fastballs..than we get a HR DERBY!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.