Home
News Post

Playstation.Blog has posted another MLB 09 The Show blog. This one covers Road to the Show Training Modes.

Quote:
"Hey everybody. My name is Eddy Cramm (Senior Designer), and it’s my turn to bring you MLB 09 The Show blog #3…or #4…maybe #5. Not really sure which one we are on. Bear with me, we are all working some long hours right now getting this game polished and out the door!

I am here to talk about the new features in Road to the Show. When all of this RTTS stuff started 3 years ago, the whole idea behind it was to give a unique career mode experience that focused exclusively on you. Initially that meant that we would fast-forward you to your events so that you only dealt with your fielding plays and your plate appearances, etc. Because lets be honest, who wants to sit out in RF during a career mode and watch three groundballs to the infield. It sucked in little league and it sucks in a career mode, too. But as RTTS progressed, our focus grew to be more than that. It became more about giving the user more control of his path to the majors.

Last year really took a huge step in the goals and points system. The guys on the front-end team like Aaron Luke, Kolbe Launchbaugh, and Jeff Ullman have built a pretty nifty system. That’s right…“nifty.” And from a gameplay standpoint, we have always wanted RTTS to feel like you are doing exactly what you would be doing, from going to Spring training, to working up through the minor leagues, etc. But success isn’t just about what you do in that game situation. Success comes from being prepared when that game moment arises. And contrary to what Allen Iverson thinks, that means practice. That thought process is what brought us to our main new feature this year. Training mode."

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 zjl630 @ 02/03/09 08:01 PM
Playstation.Blog has posted another MLB 09 The Show blog. This one covers Road to the Show Training Modes.

Quote:
"Hey everybody. My name is Eddy Cramm (Senior Designer), and it’s my turn to bring you MLB 09 The Show blog #3…or #4…maybe #5. Not really sure which one we are on. Bear with me, we are all working some long hours right now getting this game polished and out the door!

I am here to talk about the new features in Road to the Show. When all of this RTTS stuff started 3 years ago, the whole idea behind it was to give a unique career mode experience that focused exclusively on you. Initially that meant that we would fast-forward you to your events so that you only dealt with your fielding plays and your plate appearances, etc. Because lets be honest, who wants to sit out in RF during a career mode and watch three groundballs to the infield. It sucked in little league and it sucks in a career mode, too. But as RTTS progressed, our focus grew to be more than that. It became more about giving the user more control of his path to the majors.

Last year really took a huge step in the goals and points system. The guys on the front-end team like Aaron Luke, Kolbe Launchbaugh, and Jeff Ullman have built a pretty nifty system. That’s right…“nifty.” And from a gameplay standpoint, we have always wanted RTTS to feel like you are doing exactly what you would be doing, from going to Spring training, to working up through the minor leagues, etc. But success isn’t just about what you do in that game situation. Success comes from being prepared when that game moment arises. And contrary to what Allen Iverson thinks, that means practice. That thought process is what brought us to our main new feature this year. Training mode."

# 2 BravesBoy @ 02/03/09 08:08 PM
Looks great. I love you can hit with anyone and hit against anyone you want to..

# 3 zjl630 @ 02/03/09 08:09 PM
It looks awesome, they did it very well. I hope we can listen to our music.

# 4 Ktulu @ 02/03/09 08:11 PM
Quote:
Don't like that you can lose training points if you get caught stealing in training. The whole point of training is to TEACH, not to penalize.
I don't think you lose points, you just don't get as many as you could have.

# 5 theaub @ 02/03/09 08:11 PM
Looks good...I will be able to recreate my slow-*** self as a contact hitting 2B.

# 6 Trevytrev11 @ 02/03/09 08:12 PM
I need to get a PS3. This stuff is rediculous.

# 7 green94 @ 02/03/09 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjl630
It looks awesome, they did it very well. I hope we can listen to our music.
Hey if you notice right at the beginning of the video they have the MLB Jukebox up!!!!

God I can't wait any longer for this game.

# 8 bcruise @ 02/03/09 08:22 PM
Very nice. I have one question - does the BP mode use the same difficulty and slider settings as the main game? Mainly this relates to pitch speed and such, but it might also be a way to get a clearer idea of what effect the hitting sliders are having (a "controlled testing environment", so to speak)

Thanks for the great info - I know I'll be spending a lot of time in this mode inside and out of RTTS.

# 9 green94 @ 02/03/09 08:25 PM
Jesus, the lighting in this game is INSANE.

# 10 The Bimmer @ 02/03/09 08:25 PM
The best just got better! Wow that looks and sounds great!

# 11 Buckeyes_Doc @ 02/03/09 08:28 PM
Nice....anyone else see one of the new minor league stadiums? Looked awesome. One more month to go

# 12 Cubfan @ 02/03/09 08:28 PM
Good stuff i will be using the traing mode quite often.

# 13 Rob_NYY @ 02/03/09 08:31 PM
Looks good. It's too bad I'll be a pitcher. I may start an alternate RTTS and be a position player just to take advantage of the training features.

# 14 brunnoce @ 02/03/09 08:31 PM
great stuff!!
again applauses to SCEA!

btw, since we can chose pitchers and batters, can we also chose the ballpark we want to take the BP?

# 15 Kolbe @ 02/03/09 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark IV
Don't like that you can lose training points if you get caught stealing in training. The whole point of training is to TEACH, not to penalize.

BTW~Thanks for putting in the Astros/Round Rock/Hooks! That was awesome to see!
Much relaxing is needed for you young one. Thing of it this way, it's a game, and to be a game there needs to be risk and reward. If all you get is reward you're simply watching a movie

I will say tho, that you will only fail for a short time, every time you fail the game tells you why - and if you learn you will be rewarded! Have a cookie on me!

-Kolbe

# 16 Kolbe @ 02/03/09 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_NYY
Looks good. It's too bad I'll be a pitcher. I may start an alternate RTTS and be a position player just to take advantage of the training features.
Just remember, chicks dig the long ball...

-Kolbe

# 17 green94 @ 02/03/09 08:38 PM
To be quite honest, I may spend more time in BP mode than any other mode.

# 18 theaub @ 02/03/09 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunnoce
great stuff!!
again applauses to SCEA!

btw, since we can chose pitchers and batters, can we also chose the ballpark we want to take the BP?
Yeah it noted that somewhere in there.

# 19 Shakedowncapo @ 02/03/09 08:44 PM
2:35 mark..see the stitching on the ball Very nice.

It hurt me deep that you used generic players, haha.

# 20 dtigers63 @ 02/03/09 08:45 PM
HOLY ****! Pardon my french gentlemen but I can't believe how awesome this game looks in motion, simply amazing. The new minor league stadiums look nice, hopefully Broke Back Mountain field was demolished this year.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.