Home
News Post

Pasta Padre has posted the MLB 09: The Show team rankings.

Quote:
"Here are the rankings for each team in MLB 09 The Show. Listed are the overall, batting, pitching, and defense categories. These aren’t ratings exactly but they do display how the teams are situated in each area along with the overall strength to expect out of them. Keep in mind that these may change with the release day roster update."

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 SoxFan01605 @ 02/13/09 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag3vsW0rld
It is, but I can't put myself in anyone's shoe here. If for one thing, i'd overreact to the Padres not being 30th in everything. Heck, put them 90th in a list including the minor league teams.
lol...that sounds more like masochism than indifference, but okay

# 42 burds13 @ 02/13/09 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamimarlins1
Dude, the O's SUCK
Uh huh. And you would know, right?

# 43 BatsareBugs @ 02/13/09 10:02 PM
Quote:
All hail the ICEMAN, RAG. He has ice running through his veins, completely unaffected by rankings
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
lol...that sounds more like masochism than indifference, but okay
LOL, I try my best. You can obviously see I'm down on the Padres, but I think where they fall in MLB 09's rankings is a bit generous except for pitching.

# 44 Socalbias @ 02/13/09 10:09 PM
Angels DO have the #1 pitching... they have been cheated out..

Lackey+ saunders (2nd in CY YOUNG) all-stars (ervin santana should of been all-star, but was cheated out of it...

Jered weaver

Kelvin Escobar (previous 17 game winner before surgey... with scott shields one of the best.. maybe the best setup men in the game.. oliver who came off an amazing year... Arrendondo who is a young K-Rod just look up his stats they are almost identical to his rookie year... Funetes who is amazing I mean dang what else to you need??

# 45 burds13 @ 02/13/09 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotigers15
You should probably see the explanation provided by myself, SoxFan and SoxChamp.

In terms of high-ranking players, the O's have Nick Markakis and ...

... ?
Right, this I understand.... I guess. If it's about the names, that is.

My argument is that it should be about the numbers.

I would say Roberts is one of the best leadoff hitters in the game, but sweep that under the rug for a sec...

Last year Huff's OPS was .912, good for a top ten offensive season in all of baseball. For any position. He had the highest OPS amongst DH's and would have been ranked 5th (ahead of Miguel Cabrera) amongst 1st basemen.

A Scott + Wigginton platoon @ DH would have been the best in baseball last year, and believe it or not, Melvin Mora put up an .825 OPS, good for 7th amongst third basemen in all of baseball.

While these aren't "names," they were inarguably productive and are mis-represented in my opinion in this game.

# 46 burds13 @ 02/13/09 10:17 PM
By the way, Roberts' .828 OPS was good for 6th in all of MLB.

Just sayin'. Having the O's offense dead last is just misguided.

# 47 SoxFan01605 @ 02/13/09 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burds13
Right, this I understand.... I guess. If it's about the names, that is.

My argument is that it should be about the numbers.

I would say Roberts is one of the best leadoff hitters in the game, but sweep that under the rug for a sec...

Last year Huff's OPS was .912, good for a top ten offensive season in all of baseball. For any position. He had the highest OPS amongst DH's and would have been ranked 5th (ahead of Miguel Cabrera) amongst 1st basemen.

A Scott + Wigginton platoon @ DH would have been the best in baseball last year, and believe it or not, Melvin Mora put up an .825 OPS, good for 7th amongst third basemen in all of baseball.

While these aren't "names," they were inarguably productive and are mis-represented in my opinion in this game.
Remember, it's based off of more than last year to rate them. It's a three year sample for the players. Huff had d*mn near a career year last year. The same for Mora. Brian Roberts has been consistently solid for them, but the only thing that would stand out is his steals.

Luke Scott is solid, but has a much smaller smaple to work with (I don't believe he was a regular until his last year in Houston). And Wigginton is only solid as well. Remember, you don't combine ratings, so data wise you have 2 decent players there nothing more.

Your bread and butter is Markakis, Wieters when he's called up, and the hope that Pie hits in Baltimore. Too many questions to be a much better rated team.

I'm not saying I'd put them at 30 if I'm ranking teamss, but I can understand how it ended up that way from a ratings standpoint.

also, remember, Pasta said that these weren't necessarily final. The retail version could start a whole new debate...lol

# 48 SoxFan01605 @ 02/13/09 10:26 PM
Quote:
By the way, Roberts' .828 OPS was good for 6th in all of MLB.

Just sayin'. Having the O's offense dead last is just misguided.

Also, while you're not wrong in reality, focusing on OPS in the way a video game ranks guys is probably misguided in it's own right...lol

# 49 burds13 @ 02/13/09 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Also, while you're not wrong in reality, focusing on OPS in the way a video game ranks guys is probably misguided in it's own right...lol
Touche... you know how it is, man.

I'm just anxious for the tide to turn, I guess. MacPhail has done some good things in 18 months that has some of us approaching relative optimism.

# 50 SoxFan01605 @ 02/13/09 10:42 PM
Quote:
Touche... you know how it is, man.

I'm just anxious for the tide to turn, I guess. MacPhail has done some good things in 18 months that has some of us approaching relative optimism.
No doubt. I said over in the Pro baseball thread that I thought the O's would be a team to keep an eye on in the upcoming years (in fact, I might have said that here before too).

I think there is some definite reason for optimism there, but it's still too early and you guys still need a lot to go right too. My eyes are open though

# 51 scott209 @ 02/14/09 02:29 AM
Quote:
Can someone from SCEA please email me immediately, I'm freaking out. How can you kick a guy when he's down. First the idiots in government deny us a new stadium and then I see this. Please SCEA email at [email protected], I need to convince you to reconsider. I mean we have Uggla, Hanley, Maybin, Cantu, and then the best starting 5 in the east. GUYS PLEASE
dude the marlins suck get over it they are far from the best starting five in the east sadly i gotta say the mets do and thats coming from a phillies fan who hates the mets as mutch as i hate the cowgirls just get over it u had a lucky year there's no way your gonna do half as good this year alright maybe half cause you got Hanley

# 52 AUTiger1 @ 02/14/09 03:02 AM
I can't complain with the Braves rankings. I'm pleasently surprise the Braves are finally getting some love on defense. Braves defense is always underrated.

# 53 SoxChamp @ 02/14/09 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott209
dude the marlins suck get over it they are far from the best starting five in the east sadly i gotta say the mets do and thats coming from a phillies fan who hates the mets as mutch as i hate the cowgirls just get over it u had a lucky year there's no way your gonna do half as good this year alright maybe half cause you got Hanley
I wish people would understand how utterly difficult it is to read posts that have absolutely no punctuation whatsoever. Dude, take a deep breath, step back from your rant, and toss in a period here or there. No, this isn't grammar class, but some of us would enjoy knowing where one sentence stops and the other begins. Sheesh. Have we gotten so lazy as a society that it's now too much trouble to write something in a way that others can actually read it?

# 54 BatsareBugs @ 02/14/09 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxChamp
I wish people would understand how utterly difficult it is to read posts that have absolutely no punctuation whatsoever. Dude, take a deep breath, step back from your rant, and toss in a period here or there. No, this isn't grammar class, but some of us would enjoy knowing where one sentence stops and the other begins. Sheesh. Have we gotten so lazy as a society that it's now too much trouble to write something in a way that others can actually read it?
I agree with what you said but run on sentences and no punctuations if cruise control for the cool so join the bandwagon its fun and saves time even though you cant tell where my sentences are begin and end

# 55 Sportsforever @ 02/14/09 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
I can't complain with the Braves rankings. I'm pleasently surprise the Braves are finally getting some love on defense. Braves defense is always underrated.
Except it makes no sense to me how they are ranked 11th overall...they have the 17th ranked offense, 12th ranked pitching, and 13th ranked defense, yet that equals the 11th overall team?

# 56 jpup @ 02/14/09 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxChamp
Not to mention no Dunn in LF. Dickerson or Hairston should help the improvement as well.
Taveras couldn't hold Patterson's jock on defense. Yes, the corner's will be an upgrade with Bruce (no Jr.) and Dunn not in left. Left field defense doesn't matter too much IMO. The Reds still don't have a shortstop, at all, and I'm not sure Hernandez is going to be better than Hanigan.

The Reds should not have signed Tavares and let Dickerson have center. The Reds are going to be horrible in '09. I hate it, but 70 games is my prediction. They have no offense, no shortstop, nobody outside of Votto who gets on base constantly and probably not much to drive him in unless Edwin finally gets to where we all expected him to. Jay will improve, but hitting Phillips 4th and Willy leading off, the Reds offense is going to really struggle.

# 57 DeathMetal @ 02/14/09 06:57 PM
I'm sorry, but this thread is hilarious. I have no idea how people are taking this so seriously.

Overall team rankings aren't set by the dev team, they are derived from the rankings of all the players on the team. And player rankings are automatically calculated off of actual real life stats.

# 58 SoxChamp @ 02/14/09 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpup
Taveras couldn't hold Patterson's jock on defense. Yes, the corner's will be an upgrade with Bruce (no Jr.) and Dunn not in left. Left field defense doesn't matter too much IMO. The Reds still don't have a shortstop, at all, and I'm not sure Hernandez is going to be better than Hanigan.

The Reds should not have signed Tavares and let Dickerson have center. The Reds are going to be horrible in '09. I hate it, but 70 games is my prediction. They have no offense, no shortstop, nobody outside of Votto who gets on base constantly and probably not much to drive him in unless Edwin finally gets to where we all expected him to. Jay will improve, but hitting Phillips 4th and Willy leading off, the Reds offense is going to really struggle.
Horrible? C'mon, I disagree. Some folks in Cincy believe they can even contend if the pitching staff holds up. Not that I necessarily agree, but they aren't going to be any worse than last year, especially considering the two youngins on the mound have another year under their belt.

Taveras will be fine in center, and certainly an upgrade at the plate over Patterson, who looked lost. He also led the majors in steals last year with 68. That's a much needed boost the Reds haven't had in a while. Dickerson has yet to prove he can even play at the major league level, so letting him have center was a gamble. He and Hairston can platoon in LF.

True, hitting is going to be a weak spot, and most certainly Power. But hitting HR's doesn't equal wins. The Reds crushed HR's in the early 2000's, and where did that get them? They need to play small ball, get on base, move guys over, and knock em in. I just wish Toothpick felt the same.

Also, I completely agree about Phillips. They need to get him out of the 4 spot. He lost 30 points on his average once being put there.

My lineup would be (and will be in The Show):

1. Willy Taveras CF (R)
2. Chris Dickerson LF (L)
3. Brandon Phillips 2B (R)
4. Joey Votto 1B (L)
5. Edwin Encarnacion 3B (R)
6. Jay Bruce RF (L)
7. Ramon Hernandez C (R)
8. Alex Gonzalez SS (R)
9. Pitcher Spot P

If Dickerson struggles at the plate, swap he and Bruce in the 2 and 6 spots.

# 59 SoxFan01605 @ 02/14/09 10:08 PM
Quote:
These ratings are the makings of a rich San Antonio oil tycoon that purchased SCEA studios for the sole purpose of having the Marlins ranking extremely low until the team loses the respect of all Miami residents and thus will become even more apathetic towards their team so they can be relocated to San Antonio without anyone even noticing
I'd be okay with that

<-----see info

# 60 CMH @ 02/15/09 08:40 AM
Wow at people getting worked up over an overall rating that likely represents a lot more than they are taking into account.

Leading the league in fewest errors allowed does not make a great defense. There are other factors.

I can chug out a slow, fat team that never gets to a ball and therefore never commits an error all season. Would that make them a great defense?

Oh well, people always overreact when it comes to ratings.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.