Home
Madden 2010 News Post

I had to make some executive decisions today on the feature as we close in towards the end here...so I thought I'd keep you guys in the loop on the changes/additions we are going to try to make. I want to be clear - none of this is done yet - but this is the 'design' so I'll update again with what we end up getting (I am hoping we get all of it).

1. Add a on/off option to the settings screens for the button masher. If it's off, the fumble is recovered through some CPU logic of which players get there first
2. Make the meter more minimalistic - take it off the field and integrate it into the ticker at the bottom of the screen
3. Add support for the meter to disappear at a specified time based on skill level. Meaning, that on All-Pro or All-Madden, the button callout will still stay on screen to show you how to fight for the fumble, but the "meter" will disappear to give more suspense. On lower skill levels, the meter can stay up the whole time.
4. Give bonuses to make sure that the first person on the ball starts out 'winning' the meter
5. Tune all the animations to make sure that the pileup only triggers in the obvious situation where multiple people dove on it at once. If you fall on it and it looks like you have possession, then you should retain possession with no fumble pileup.
6. Change the camera(s) to be much tighter and more 'broadcast'.

I think this definitely meets the needs of all parties - it can be turned off for those that don't want it, the cameras can be much cooler without the need for framing the on-field button UI, and it shouldn't feel cheap anymore.

Sound good? Again I'll update later on as we get this stuff added in.

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Valdarez @ 04/30/09 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke316
Do you really think that that many people would be taking advantage of it..being that it happens (supposedly) maybe once a game?
I think if it's a tournament, or money's on the line online, then yes, people will do whatever it takes to get an advantage. Just watch how the guys play on Madden Nation for evidence of the tactics people will use to win.

# 102 ScoobySnax @ 04/30/09 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I think if it's a tournament, or money's on the line online, then yes, people will do whatever it takes to get an advantage. Just watch how the guys play on Madden Nation for evidence of the tactics people will use to win.
I know for a fact those controllers aren't allowed in tournaments. Maybe those PS3/360 in-game online tourneys/challenges, but not in official EA Madden Tourneys.

# 103 Darkheath @ 04/30/09 11:32 AM
Wow... I have to say that I am incredibly impressed with this response!

It looks like you guys at EA are setting the bar for customer service these days.

Thank you, Ian.

# 104 Cryolemon @ 04/30/09 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
The majority shouldn't suffer for some dudes with $100 controllers. LIke less than 1% of people have em.

As the same for guys without widescreen TVs. We shouldn't suffer for that either but thats a different story.
True, but I'd be interested to see how many people think turbo controllers are a reall problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by permanent1
Now ian if we just had multiple camera angles, say sideline cam etc, i would give you a kidney.
What if he doesn't need a kidney ?

# 105 BlyGilmore @ 04/30/09 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I had to make some executive decisions today on the feature as we close in towards the end here...so I thought I'd keep you guys in the loop on the changes/additions we are going to try to make. I want to be clear - none of this is done yet - but this is the 'design' so I'll update again with what we end up getting (I am hoping we get all of it).

1. Add a on/off option to the settings screens for the button masher. If it's off, the fumble is recovered through some CPU logic of which players get there first
2. Make the meter more minimalistic - take it off the field and integrate it into the ticker at the bottom of the screen
3. Add support for the meter to disappear at a specified time based on skill level. Meaning, that on All-Pro or All-Madden, the button callout will still stay on screen to show you how to fight for the fumble, but the "meter" will disappear to give more suspense. On lower skill levels, the meter can stay up the whole time.
4. Give bonuses to make sure that the first person on the ball starts out 'winning' the meter
5. Tune all the animations to make sure that the pileup only triggers in the obvious situation where multiple people dove on it at once. If you fall on it and it looks like you have possession, then you should retain possession with no fumble pileup.
6. Change the camera(s) to be much tighter and more 'broadcast'.

I think this definitely meets the needs of all parties - it can be turned off for those that don't want it, the cameras can be much cooler without the need for framing the on-field button UI, and it shouldn't feel cheap anymore.

Sound good? Again I'll update later on as we get this stuff added in.
great job IMO. One post and you basically took care of all the concerns about the feature.

# 106 pfunk880 @ 04/30/09 01:26 PM
Great work, Ian! Hopefully all those changes make it in.

# 107 ewto16 @ 04/30/09 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Here's an idea.....make them illegal for tournaments. Problem solved.

If this is a concern for you when this situation might occur once a game and then assuming that the person you play would actually have a turbo controller, then you will never be happy with anything.

# 108 Big_Mig_11 @ 04/30/09 01:34 PM
Great job Ian. Im a huge fan of #3, #4, and #5!!!

# 109 djp34 @ 04/30/09 02:26 PM
Nice job Ian to bad u werent on the next gen madden team from the start of it all. I shutter to think of the game madden would be now,but i digress not gonna live in the past.Great job again Ian and keep up the good work we appreciate all your efforts as well as the rest of the peeps working on madden this year.

# 110 Eman5805 @ 04/30/09 02:59 PM
All that's missing is some video of this new fumble mechanic in action.

# 111 viewtifuljoe71 @ 04/30/09 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
All that's missing is some video of this new fumble mechanic in action.
Bet money we see it in the next week or so. As soon as he gets it ironed out im sure he will put out there.

# 112 Valdarez @ 04/30/09 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdalewood
LOL, that is complete nerd city.
I know, the thing isn't even wireless. Lame.

# 113 D_NyCe @ 04/30/09 04:35 PM
sounds good to me, can't wait to play this game, haven't played football in a while

# 114 Ian_Cummings @ 04/30/09 05:19 PM
WOW!

We have some awesome programmers here...the following have already been fixed and checked in:

# 115 briax87 @ 04/30/09 05:20 PM
Quote:
WOW!

We have some awesome programmers here...the following have already been fixed and checked in:

Nice

# 116 cedwebb @ 04/30/09 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by briax87
Nice
x2 I can't wait to get into this game, it actually sounds like a football game

# 117 burne @ 04/30/09 05:25 PM
Quote:
WOW!

Pfft. I could've gotten #2 and #6 done in like half an hour.

/sarcasm

Great job, Tiburon!

# 118 Scott @ 04/30/09 05:27 PM
Quote:
WOW!

Great Ian, you're the man

# 119 djp34 @ 04/30/09 05:50 PM
Quote:
WOW!

very nice Ian aug 14 is to far away .

# 120 Furq @ 04/30/09 06:01 PM
Probably been asked.. but what's the likelihood of winning fumbles on harder difficulties? In some basketball games it used to be next to impossible to win the jump ball (back when you had to mash the jump button to win tips) on harder levels

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.