Home
Madden 2010 News Post

IGN has posted their hands-on preview of Madden NFL 10.

Quote:
"Presentation, something that was seriously lacking in the first Madden iterations on current-gen systems, has seen a nice overhaul. Pre-game you'll notice camera angles that show concession stands handing hot dogs to fans and people making their way to their seats. During the action there will be detailed cutscenes (not the low-resolution models like in last year's game) showing players warming up on the sideline. If your quarterback is taking a licking on the field you'll see him trot over to the sideline and pick up a phone to talk to the coach's box. The chain gang is also present, as are all of the refs that should be on the field. And yes, you can truck into them.

Just don't run into them too hard or you might injure one of your star players. Do that, and you'll be greeted with a new injury mechanic. It won't happen immediately – depending on the severity of the injury your man might need to be helped off the field by other players – but once the problem is diagnosed you'll be shown a screen that tells you what's injured, how severe it is and then you'll be given the option to put him back in the game. You'll be given a rating that tells you how good he'll be once he's back on the field and you'll see the likelihood of him re-injuring himself. It's sort of like Blitz The League, but without the steroid use."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 djordan @ 05/15/09 12:23 PM
WOOT..reading now...

Quote:
Presentation, something that was seriously lacking in the first Madden iterations on current-gen systems, has seen a nice overhaul. Pre-game you'll notice camera angles that show concession stands handing hot dogs to fans and people making their way to their seats. During the action there will be detailed cutscenes (not the low-resolution models like in last year's game) showing players warming up on the sideline. If your quarterback is taking a licking on the field you'll see him trot over to the sideline and pick up a phone to talk to the coach's box.
Quote:
Secondly, quarterback animations have been greatly improved from last year. It's not something that I found to impact gameplay, but when I was shown screenshots of marquee quarterbacks hurling the pigskin the changes were very recognizable. Whether it's the position of their left hand on the ball when dropping back or how the ball is oriented in relation to their body when bringing it back to throw, every quarterback throws the ball differently. Just like in the real NFL. And yes, these authentic styles trickle down to the kickers as well.

# 2 lgxjames @ 05/15/09 12:27 PM
thanx

# 3 Sardine117 @ 05/15/09 12:28 PM
Pre-game presentation! Yes

# 4 Dawkins#20 @ 05/15/09 12:30 PM
Lame pocket = fail. If this is another year where me elite DEs get stood up by scrub OL i will not be happy. If the DLine moves do nothing i will not be impressed. And if the QB gets rid of the ball like he has 360 degree vision and can see you coming i will not be impressed. I mean he used to throw it when he wasnt even set, with no penalty in accuracy

# 5 Maelstrom-XIII @ 05/15/09 12:31 PM
Anyone else find it troubling that they could still run around in the pocket and throw the ball 30 yds downfield to a receiver?

# 6 bxgoods @ 05/15/09 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
Anyone else find it troubling that they could still run around in the pocket and throw the ball 30 yds downfield to a receiver?

Thats the exact thing I was going to quote, if you run back, I want a big decrease in accuracy.

# 7 ShimSham @ 05/15/09 12:33 PM
Hate to hear about the pocket problems, but the rest sounds promising. I liked all the details on the presentation.

# 8 TreMarley420 @ 05/15/09 12:34 PM
thanks

# 9 ugotjackdup @ 05/15/09 12:34 PM
same worries about the pocket, however EA made pocket as a point emphasis to fix, and they still got a couple months, so i'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I will be renting before i buy this year though.

# 10 Sardine117 @ 05/15/09 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom-XIII
I do. But I'm sure they'll have time to fix it.

# 11 Maelstrom-XIII @ 05/15/09 12:36 PM
Maybe it's just because it was pre-beta...but I'm concerned that all of the new stuff that the devs have put in was less-than-effective...the QB evasion (he'd rather just use the left stick), the lack of a pocket, the lack of pressure...I am now 40% less excited for this game...

# 12 countryboy @ 05/15/09 12:36 PM
I'll pass judgment when I play the game.

I'm not getting too high nor too low over what is one man's opinion/observation.

Good read though.

# 13 roadman @ 05/15/09 12:39 PM
The reviewer admitted he had a pre-beta build and also mentioned at the end of the article that the Madden team will smooth it out as much as possible.

I think folks are missing the subtitle: Most realistic football ever seen from this series.

# 14 Da Bears @ 05/15/09 12:39 PM
"The decrease in overall speed should lend itself to the new pocket presence feature that EA Sports is trying to push. But honestly, I didn't feel it much in my demo with a pre-beta build. I was able to still hold back on the left stick and run away from my offensive line before flinging a pass thirty yards to a receiver"

I dont know guys I'm kinda worried about that,but it is still early maybe the can fix it before release?

# 15 lgxjames @ 05/15/09 12:40 PM
All the games faults from IGN seemed to be tuning issues, not really worried, but the presentation stuff is very nice to hear...I can only wonder what they plan on doing with the franchise presentation.

All in all good work so far

# 16 Cusefan @ 05/15/09 12:41 PM
Sounds good, Finally a suitable Pregame show. Everything sounds pretty good...

# 17 Maelstrom-XIII @ 05/15/09 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
The reviewer admitted he had a pre-alpha build and also mentioned at the end of the article that the Madden team will smooth it out as much as possible.

I think folks are missing the subtitle: Most realistic football ever seen from this series.
It's pre-beta...so it could very well be the build that Donny and Josh played on for their thread...it's nice to see "most realistic football ever..." but based on 09...that isn't hard. I now find myself distrustful of everything they have been saying...seems like typical EA style...it's weird that my faith in the game can be shaken by one preview but...them's the breaks.

# 18 LBzrule @ 05/15/09 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgxjames
All the games faults from IGN seemed to be tuning issues, not really worried, but the presentation stuff is very nice to hear...I can only wonder what they plan on doing with the franchise presentation.

All in all good work so far
Yeah, they are all tuning issues. The thing about it though is that the new slower game speed made it very easy to pick apart zones in the CD build. That's why, while the game is slowed down, the Dline and blitzers must not be slowed down.

# 19 xX CASCABEL Xx @ 05/15/09 12:42 PM
This Quote:

''But honestly, I didn't feel it much in my demo with a pre-beta build. I was able to still hold back on the left stick and run away from my offensive line before flinging a pass thirty yards to a receiver. I never got sacked and rarely felt pressure from the outside like the new pocket design intends''

I know it is a work in progress, however this must not be in the game...

# 20 rightallthetime @ 05/15/09 12:46 PM
what level was the guy from IGN playing on?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.