Home
NCAA Football 10 News Post

Welcome to week #1 of our interview with the Producers of NCAA Football 10. Every week until release, we'll be posting an interview. This week we have Ben Haumiller, designer of NCAA Football 10, answering the questions.

Quote:
Operation Sports: "What kind of defensive gameplay enhancements/tweaks have been implemented into this year's game? What has been done to tone down the wide open gameplay?"

Ben Haumiller: "Here are a few things we’ve done (obviously not everything):
Pursuit Angles, Defensive line tipping passes, Man Coverage has been improved, Press/Release enhancements (from WR/DB interactions), and Adaptive AI all make a really big impact. I should also point out that players in deep zones (depending on zone coverage rating) will be more aggressive in going after passes.

So examples:
• Just taking a speed back and running outside does not equal a score (pursuit angles)
• "Elite" Corners make a bigger impact between the abilities to jam receivers and simply cover better in Man
• Adaptive AI can force you to change up your play calling. I say can because if you are a way better team, all the reaction ratings in the world will not always help the defense
• And just more incompletions in general help defense (tip passes and more realistic misses on passes)"

NCAA Football 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NCAA Football 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NCAA Football 10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 61 - View All
NCAA Football 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 bartolet7 @ 05/24/09 07:34 PM
Ben: "In-game saves will not be a part of NCAA Football 10.". -

Actually, this one bugs me more than most. How do they not have in-game saves in the series at this point?? No words.

To be honest, I'm still hopeful that they're holding back on information about the game but starting to get worried now. That interview revealed practically squat. And I'll say this, the guy can dodge a direct question better than a politician.

# 122 laydizzy @ 05/24/09 07:43 PM
Im hoping there is new information released but highly doubt we'll be satisfied. the interview pretty much said no to a lot of the things I would hope to see added.

It seems like the only additions that could be made are features like SS that don't affect gameplay. Hopefully not as pointless.

# 123 WolverinesFinest @ 05/24/09 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by laydizzy
Im hoping there is new information released but highly doubt we'll be satisfied. the interview pretty much said no to a lot of the things I would hope to see added.

It seems like the only additions that could be made are features like SS that don't affect gameplay. Hopefully not as pointless.
If you think about it for a second, the game is probably being packaged now or in a week or two and being sent out. Yet we still know little about what this game has to offer excluding road to glory, teambuilder, and the amazing 4 blog worthy season showdown. And no formation subs......

# 124 noplace @ 05/24/09 08:12 PM
Why does EA continue to keep APF 2K8 alive. I'm ready to move on to a better updated game but I cant because they continue to ignore whats important. Football is a great game by itself, all you have to do if get the game right on the field 1st and then build around it.

Instead they focus on things like SS, TB which I like but damn, camera flashes that you dont see in college games other than the NC. Wind socks, dramatic endzones (lol) but no refs & chain gangs etc. They didnt even address the accesories issue knowing for years this is important to gamers. No excuse for not having all helmets & facemask, updating presentation, commentary, formation subs, playbook creator, dup #'s etc. This is all football!! Come on now its been years & they still cant get OL/DL interaction on par with 2K sports.

I'm sure if it played a great game on the field with excellent prentation & a OLine Dynasty no one would even care about TB, SS & all those other little gimics they use to sell the game. Get the shyt right on the field!!

Madden is trying damn hard to make a better game but NCAA has been a huge let down.

# 125 SHO @ 05/25/09 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU93
Yeah, I checked the credits.
Sounds like he was the lead?! http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2038495251
SMH @ this revelation.

# 126 boritter @ 05/25/09 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartolet7
Ben: "In-game saves will not be a part of NCAA Football 10.". -

Actually, this one bugs me more than most. How do they not have in-game saves in the series at this point?? No words.
QFT.

Since games take 30 minutes + in-game saves are needed.

Anyone know if Madden 10 has in-game saves?

# 127 tswiatkowski @ 05/25/09 11:03 AM
Wow you guys are babies. I can't believe that you would be selfish enough to complain about things like Custom Stadium Sounds. There is still more than a month until the game release, and you are all complaining about the actual game. I have bought the game every year since 2003, and every game, in my mind has been an improvement on the last years game. While I do agree that Formation Subs should be included, as it has a huge effect on strategy, I still believe that this game will be worth buying. If you think you could make a better game, please do, I would love to see it.

# 128 rudyjuly2 @ 05/25/09 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tswiatkowski
Wow you guys are babies. I can't believe that you would be selfish enough to complain about things like Custom Stadium Sounds. There is still more than a month until the game release, and you are all complaining about the actual game. I have bought the game every year since 2003, and every game, in my mind has been an improvement on the last years game. While I do agree that Formation Subs should be included, as it has a huge effect on strategy, I still believe that this game will be worth buying. If you think you could make a better game, please do, I would love to see it.
That's such a cop out line. While 99% of us here can't program a game, there are tons of people out there that do know how and often produce a great product. Football has been the worst sports gaming product on the PS3/360 this generation. Baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, etc. have all received greater praise than their football counterparts. The football games and what goes in them are open to criticism whether we're programmers or not. Message boards are for both positive and negative comments. Calling people babies doesn't help your case.

# 129 dave731 @ 05/25/09 11:50 AM
Was it an improvement when they removed FCS Schools, Create a school and custom playbooks? I'm buying the game anyway but spending time developing things like Season Showdown and bowling in a football game that has some serious gameplay issues (sliders, OL-DL interaction etc.) seems like bad management to anyone with half a brain. The fans aren't on the boards clamoring for how to represent their team each week in sportsmanship...we are clamoring for a more accurate portrayal of the game we love but as the only ticket in town, EA just shrugs it's shoulders and adds a minigame where you can try punting the ball through circles in the sky ala Tiger Woods. Show some innovation EA...take pages from The Show for Campus Legend and give fans a EACFL where we can truly utilize create a school with human and computerized teammates.

# 130 tswiatkowski @ 05/25/09 11:58 AM
Football is a very complicated game to make, because in one play, there are so many different people interacting at once. You cant possibly create a program that would realistically recreate the sport of football in its entirety. While I do agree with some of your complaints, the point is: Football requires so many different aspects of play. The CAS was something that I did miss, but now it is back, and I dont really like the Mini-Games either, but you have to understand that they are trying to make a game for EVERYONE. I play the game in a more serious manner, but I also understand that there are kids and casual gamers that do like these features

# 131 tswiatkowski @ 05/25/09 12:15 PM
Fine then, explain to me how exactly you would set up the game so that the OL-DL interactions were perfect. Exactly how you would set up the game so that the WRs and DBs did exactly the right things. Explain your preference for the frequency of bad passes and dropped balls.

Here are my disagreements for NCAA 09:
Wide-Open gameplay- Yes, it was too easy to complete passes in the game, the defensive backs were not active at all in man coverage or zone coverage, even on Heisman difficulty. When they did decide to react, there was always an interception. Real football doesnt operate like that. I agree with you there. The devs said there would be more tipped passes and passes defended by defensive backs.
No Pressure on the QB- Yes, the defensive line was very slow and did not put alot of pressure on the QB, making it easy to pass the ball. I would like to see tackles get beat by defensive ends every once in a while, or a DT get past a guard or center more frequently. A QB should have about 4 seconds to throw the ball and in the game you got 7.

Those are my biggest problems

# 132 tswiatkowski @ 05/25/09 12:51 PM
Holy **** I wish that was in NCAA 10. I like CAS but that kind of stuff is what I really want to see

# 133 tswiatkowski @ 05/25/09 12:52 PM
Oops I forgot to quote BORN4CORN's message about the new Madden feature.

# 134 tswiatkowski @ 05/25/09 12:57 PM
Haha heres something that will really make you all mad. Go to the "Features" section on the NCAA 10 website and check out what they put. Its a copied version of last years features.

# 135 Solidice @ 05/25/09 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tswiatkowski
Haha heres something that will really make you all mad. Go to the "Features" section on the NCAA 10 website and check out what they put. Its a copied version of last years features.
I think it's just a mistake, wasn't like that yesterday. SS and TeamBuilder are the only ones on that page thats for NCAA 10.

# 136 tswiatkowski @ 05/25/09 01:03 PM
Well, it probably is. I just went there a few minutes ago and I saw that there. I just thought it was funny considering all the negativity on the boards.

# 137 Solidice @ 05/25/09 03:14 PM
only the last 3 are "new" NCAA 10 stuff.

# 138 blackscorpion11 @ 05/25/09 07:47 PM
With respect,

No one is asking EA to recreate a virtual representaton of football, this is a video game.. We want a representation that is fun and challenging and accurate within reason. Things being comlained about and asked for in these posts CAN BE FOUND in past versions of ncaa or madden. The features that aren't in the EA sports game can be found in other games on the market. Take in game saves for example.. Madden 2008 for PC has it?? The offense , the defense, the line play, the wr/db coverage issues, all worked fine in past versions.. you'll never please everybody, the problem with this game is that it didn't please the majority of gamers who played it. Some of these complaints are weak, but the fact is that you don't have a game until your gameplay is right, EA never got the gameplay right in this one, and never really fixed it.

# 139 N51_rob @ 05/26/09 09:59 AM
This interview has done what much of the information about NCAA 10 has done for me, generated no buzz. I usually can get this game the weekend before it releases. I usually pay an extra $20 for that privilage, this year currently I've got no real urge to do so. While I'm sure that more information will be out at E3, it just seems like Madden will be the belle of the ball at E3 as far as EA Sports is concerned. That has me worried, we are less than 50 days from the release and there isn't a lot of buzz around this title, unless you are a fan of Team Builder which I am not.

I'm not going to say the devs haven't done anything, beacasue I can only imagine the work that went into Team Builder which is at least a feature that has been on wish lists for a while now, but I can't recall seeing season showdown on any wishlist that I've seen. But I have seen formation subs on just about every wish list.

# 140 dave731 @ 05/26/09 03:42 PM
Even though Ben was playing on Freshman, I'd suggest he should adjust his sliders but in that build of the game they weren't working anyway. The way they can just flat out lie about the defense not being dumbed down is almost funny....

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.