Home
EA Sports MMA News Post

All-New Mixed Martial Arts Title Joins Award-Winning EA SPORTS Lineup

REDWOOD CITY, Calif., - June 1, 2009 – Electronic Arts Inc., (NASDAQ: ERTS) announced today that an all-new fighting title is in development at EA Tiburon in Orlando, under the EA SPORTS™ brand. EA SPORTS MMA will be available in 2010 on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system and the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system.

EA SPORTS MMA will feature the most authentic, intense and broad mixed martial arts experience to date – complete with a vast array of top fighters and fighting styles from around the world.

“With Fight Night Round 4 set to deliver a knockout with industry-leading visuals and genre-defining gameplay later this month, I couldn’t be more excited to announce the expansion of our combat sports strategy with EA SPORTS MMA coming in 2010,” said EA SPORTS President Peter Moore. “Fans have been begging EA SPORTS to get into the cage, and EA SPORTS MMA will put them in control of the sport’s unique combat experience while finally, in an immersive interactive experience, capturing the raw intensity that has made mixed martial arts one of the fastest growing sports in the world. We’re ready for the fight.”

The EA Tiburon studio carries a successful legacy, and is a leader in innovation, within sports video games. In August of 2008, EA Tiburon was named by GamePro Magazine as one of the top eight most powerful studios in the entire gaming industry. It is home to highly touted franchises, such as Madden NFL, NCAA® Football and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR®.

For more information about EA SPORTS MMA, log onto www.easportsmma.com.

EA Sports MMA screenshot gallery - Click to view EA Sports MMA screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Vince @ 06/01/09 05:40 PM
I didn't know THQ had exclusivity with the UFC...

# 2 UNC_Pete @ 06/01/09 05:46 PM
Thank god THQ has exclusive rights and it's not the other way around..

I'm interested to see if EA can knock one out of the park like THQ.

# 3 LingeringRegime @ 06/01/09 05:46 PM
This was pretty much inevitable. MMA is the Sport of the Future, and EA likes to make a lot of money. I really hope they don't lock down the UFC license though. I really like how THQ represents the sport.

# 4 aholbert32 @ 06/01/09 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
I didn't know THQ had exclusivity with the UFC...

They do. I dont know for how long though.

Also Dana is a loyal guy. After seeing the product they put out and the sales, I doubt Dana would leave them for EA.

# 5 Phobia @ 06/01/09 05:50 PM
Lets all pray Dana is not dumb and fall for some type of bribe from EA to gain teh exclusive license.

# 6 hawkeyekid @ 06/01/09 05:57 PM
I would check it out but I am extremely impressed by the first effort made my THQ and want to see what they can do in the next few years.

# 7 the_future420 @ 06/01/09 06:04 PM
Was just a matter of time. UFC license or not, I won't be checking for this game unless it gets stellar reviews. I won't get caught up in the inevitable hype when the multi-million $ advertising campaign gets rolling.

# 8 Luck911 @ 06/01/09 06:31 PM
It will be fun because EA will be force to make a good game instead of depending on a license.EA has awesome base to start off with in fight night engine.Competition is good i hope lights a fire on under THQ.

# 9 atlplayboy23 @ 06/01/09 06:40 PM
I really want to see where this is going nothing like some good old competition

# 10 whoady4shoady @ 06/01/09 06:43 PM
I was so happy to hear this. Now the UFC game wont turn into madden with no innovation. Now they will push each other to both be amazing.

# 11 DTX3 @ 06/01/09 06:57 PM
I'm guessing WEC rights will be a no go for them also right? Since UFC DOES own them.

# 12 aholbert32 @ 06/01/09 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTX3
I'm guessing WEC rights will be a no go for them also right? Since UFC DOES own them.

Probably.

# 13 SHO @ 06/01/09 07:06 PM
I hope EA uses DREAM or Sengoku, but I doubt they want a game based on foreign fighters.

# 14 SHO @ 06/01/09 07:08 PM
I think Strikeforce will be the way EA leans.

# 15 DTX3 @ 06/01/09 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLE
I think Strikeforce will be the way EA leans.
Only one that makes sense. They(EA Sports) do have the rights to Randy Couture, and last I checked he was still under contract with the UFC. It's going to be interesting how it plays out.

# 16 Wet Bandit @ 06/01/09 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Are you interested without the UFC license.
Of course. Why wouldn't an MMA fan be interested?

THQ set a high bar, though, so it'll be interesting to see what EA comes with. I would be thrilled if EA at least matches THQ. Two great MMA games are better than one.

As for licenses, I really hope they go unlicensed. I think they should carve out their own niche and do something maybe entirely focused on climbing the ranks in a fictional fight organization. Have it be all about career and character customization. I think that's their best bet, much better than making a UFC-lite without the UFC.

# 17 DocHolliday @ 06/01/09 08:02 PM
Kimbo Slice will be the cover boy.

# 18 mgoblue @ 06/01/09 08:07 PM
Quote:
EA just announced that they are releasing an MMA game that has been rumored. You can bet Fedor and other non UFC fighters will be in the game.

Are you interested without the UFC license.
I like MMA, so of course I'll pay attention, but I will admit that the UFC game has quenched my MMA game thirst.

With Strikeforce or other organizations I just won't really give a damn. It's cool to know pretty much all the guys in UFC, but I wouldn't get that feeling from another game. It'll really just depend if they can somehow (not sure it's possible even) give us better gameplay than UFC does right now.

The lack of a license does hurt EA though, Fedor's cool and all, but I need more than that.

# 19 aholbert32 @ 06/01/09 08:44 PM
Best case scenario this game comes out Spring 2010. By then THQ will have released its 2nd UFC game if its regular schedule is to release every May. If that 2nd UFC game has cage interaction, bobbing and weaving and improved career mode....what will i need another MMA game for?

Especially one that doesnt have 90% of the fighters I want and is on its first version (1st versions always have glitches).

# 20 Wet Bandit @ 06/01/09 08:56 PM
Quote:
Best case scenario this game comes out Spring 2010.
Why would EA release this game at the same time as the next Undisputed? They're gonna have a hard enough time getting out of Undisputed's shadow, they don't need to go lay themselves down right in the middle of that shadow.

If THQ sticks to May releases, I'd imagine EA will release around September/October of 2010. Get some holiday sales, and catch MMA fans when they might be jonesing for a new MMA game experience.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.