Home
NBA Live 10 News Post

EA has thrown up another NBA Live 10 blog. This one talks about player movement.

Quote:
"It’s time to talk about NBA player movement. No, I’m not talking about this year’s crazy off season of free agency and trades (I still can’t believe how much the top teams improved). When I say player movement, I’m talking about the motion of the individual players on the court. It’s no secret that NBA players are some of the most graceful and fluid athletes in the world with their explosiveness, agility, and co-ordination.

Past versions of NBA LIVE haven’t been known for having the most fluid and authentic player movement. We wanted to change all that for NBA LIVE 10 and it all started with our new approach to MoCap. I’ll blog about that at a later date so I won’t get into details but I will say that we brought in a bunch of NBA talent to make sure we were getting the most authentic motion possible. It was critical that the guys we brought into the studio moved closer to what you’re used to seeing in real life.

So, when we were capturing movement we paid special attention to off ball motion, ball handling, and guarding the basketball. Our focus was on getting the off ball motion to a level where it was more believable and authentic than any basketball game on the market. We wanted to see the players in Live cutting to the basket, curling the baseline, spotting up for scoring chances, and spacing the court.

The videos below give you guys an idea of the type of animations that we put into LIVE 10."

Game: NBA Live 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 48 - View All
NBA Live 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Manbearpig @ 08/07/09 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensonmc
Is this not gameplay? Getting confused guys....
no its not, when I'm playing the game, this isn't waht it will look like

# 22 Stumbleweed @ 08/07/09 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
judging from that youtube video it looks liek big men migh be able to handle the ball too well... i havent read the article yet so dont tar and feather me.
IMO they should be able to dribble decently and move alright (Yao and other gigantic dudes are the exception) as long as they're not in-traffic. If there are smaller players trying to slap and poke the ball away, they should take a major hit to their ball control. And remember that "big man" includes people such as Amare, who is pretty deft with the ball and quick on his feet. I'm sure there's a spectrum.

# 23 Lordtime @ 08/07/09 04:45 PM
@stephen I don't mean to be a nit-picker,but it seems like there is no differentiation between the guard,the forward,or the center's step back move. That can be cheesed if you have someone play as the Mavericks and they decided to abuse that with Dirk .

Also is the ball-handling determined by speed and ballhandling or just strictly ball-handling???

# 24 krazyboy225 @ 08/07/09 04:45 PM
Very Very good read..short and to the point..and a lot of vids

# 25 GSW @ 08/07/09 04:45 PM
thanks stumble.

bamboozled and hoodwinked on the gameplay videos!

# 26 stephensonmc @ 08/07/09 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpig
no its not, when I'm playing the game, this isn't waht it will look like
I said gameplay blog. This has to do with gameplay.

When you're playing the game, the movement you see will be exactly like this.

# 27 blues rocker @ 08/07/09 04:46 PM
I am still totally blown away by the dribbling controls!!! I love how you can change direction so quickly and responsively - it really looks like a real point guard dribbling. In 2k's game, if you want the ball-handler to stop, he will keep moving on his own for 3 steps - in Live you can stop on a dime instantly just like in real life! And you can change direction so quickly! These are things that have been missing from video game basketball forever! I have been waiting so long for either 2k or EA to get these dribbling controls right. Looks like EA finally pulled it off.

# 28 lindo9595 @ 08/07/09 04:47 PM
Quote:
yep.

LeBron VII
Player Movement / GAMEPLAY blog
One still to come
I wonder what it could be.

# 29 KChow21 @ 08/07/09 04:47 PM
Quote:
Is this not gameplay? Getting confused guys....
It's Player Movement/Animations isn't it? if so why would it say Gameplay Blog and Videos by Mike next week...

Not to say I'm not happy with the info, but was expecting what is supposedly coming next week

# 30 GSW @ 08/07/09 04:47 PM
Marcus i think by gameplay we were thinking live action in game stuff that Mike will be showing us next week.

# 31 stephensonmc @ 08/07/09 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
thanks stumble.

bamboozled and hoodwinked on the gameplay videos!

you guys are absolutely impossible..

seriously.

# 32 navyboy09 @ 08/07/09 04:47 PM
The vids looks smooth and very fluid. its gonna be nice using both analog sticks to control the dribble. Finally my boy D-Wade is gonna be a real threat.Cant wait for this game to come out!! Oct 6 seems so long away.

# 33 Manbearpig @ 08/07/09 04:48 PM
Quote:

dont get me wrong, the blog/vids were great, its just I and many other people were expecting a PURE gameplay vid

# 34 Stumbleweed @ 08/07/09 04:48 PM
Can't wait to drive right with the left stick, pull it back to freeze them, then quick double-cross it to the rack. If they have lots of contact animations for smaller players (think Tony Parker) finishing in traffic, there will be some simply beautiful EA Sportsworld replays to be had this year.

Crap, I'm excited for this game. 2K's gotta win me over at this point.. I'll buy both regardless, but Live's going in the tray first thing when I get home.

EDIT: LOL damn guys, cut the man a break. It's movement of the players that will be in the final game.. who cares if it's a featureless KG doing them on a wireframe grid?

# 35 stephensonmc @ 08/07/09 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
Marcus i think by gameplay we were thinking live action in game stuff that Mike will be showing us next week.
Cool, I get it totally, but those are your expectations.

We're releasing things slowly, we've said this from the get go.

If any of you are expecting a 2K dump of info where we put 172398072107980 things in one article, that's not happening. We want to talk to you guys every day, every week, not every month. This makes us able to do that.

We had fundamental problems in gameplay this year. We're telling you guys a story by showing you the building blocks of what's going to make our game good this year.

# 36 infam0us @ 08/07/09 04:50 PM
When you guys said gameplay we all thought 5 on 5 actual in game action. This is good enough for me for now. The foot work of player with or without the ball look great.

# 37 Lordtime @ 08/07/09 04:50 PM
Quote:
you guys are absolutely impossible..

seriously.
LOL. Looking at the wrong comments bro, not to mention you still avoided my question lol. Just needed a little clarification is all

# 38 blues rocker @ 08/07/09 04:51 PM
Quote:

Leave Stephensonmc alone, dudes. This new info is amazing! How can you not be satisfied with this amazing info on the ball-handling - it will totally change the game and make it 10 times more responsive and fun.

# 39 GSW @ 08/07/09 04:51 PM
FWIW,

Thsi is a good blog even though i was expecting something else.

I really like how there is actual Ball handling now instead of just that simple lookin crossover that was an autmatic ankle breaker in Live 09.

The step back move did look very similar for all three categories...and a lot of guys shouldbnt be able to do that (big men).. but im not going to nitpick till i see it in actual gameplay.

I like that little blurb about on ball "defense" but I also remmeebr that exact same thing being said for the past 3 years. And lets be honest, putting correct defense in a Basketball videogame is going to take a lot longer than 1 development cycle, especially if it wasnt a main area of focus... So im not holding my breath although i wont be mad if im pleasently surprised.

Cant wait for next week

# 40 XxX syntax XxX @ 08/07/09 04:51 PM
I almost jizzed when i saw those vids..It does remind me of 2k and actually better because when you moved in 2k it felt sorta slow...I love the way they made it responsive and you can tell...Told yall nba live 10 would come threw..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.