Home
NHL 2K10 News Post

2KHockey.net has posted a 14 minute gameplay video from NHL 2K10.

Quote:
"2KHockey.net is humbled and excited to give you an exclusive first look at a teaser trailer full game of raw NHL 2K10 gameplay, played with custom sliders for all you sim hockey fans out there. Here is the first period of action (14:31).

** PLEASE NOTE **
Due to some issues with our Flash streaming this afternoon, I am posting the raw video file. So this is a hi-res WMV and is a very large download, but we’ll have some additional streaming & download options available tonight.

Stay tuned for more footage after the first intermission…"

Game: NHL 2K10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 23 - View All
NHL 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 adayinthelife @ 09/02/09 07:08 PM
Well, better than nothing I suppose. Thanks!

# 2 Eddie1967 @ 09/02/09 07:11 PM
Thanks!

# 3 Eddie1967 @ 09/02/09 07:29 PM
Is this verse the computer? If so I'm loving the aggression of the cpu on both offense or defense. I also like how the defense-men put themselves into good position to make a play, which is a huge difference from last year. I can't count how many time I had to take over a defense man because he was so out of position. So far so good. Still watching.

# 4 adayinthelife @ 09/02/09 07:32 PM
That sounds like good news; I'm still downloading.. maybe it's time to take the dog for a walk.

# 5 Eddie1967 @ 09/02/09 07:51 PM
Also love seeing the flyers (cpu) create a box in front of the goalie while the caps were on the power play.

Again very nice positional play by the defense on the cpu team.

This game is going to be so much fun, and check out the up close view of the player faces, very nice. The animations look top notch as usual.

Loved seeing the flyer come out of the penalty box and deck the puck carrier.

# 6 CarryTheWeight @ 09/02/09 08:39 PM
Thanks to forum user Burbruee, here's the first streaming version of the video for those that don't feel like downloading a huge lossless WMV. It's inevitable that by tomorrow, 2KHockey will have their own streaming version or YouTubers will have posted it themselves:

http://143.homelinux.com/live.php?id=167

# 7 Goffs @ 09/02/09 08:45 PM
Aww damn I'm at work...so I have to wait or someone will upload it to youtube....

# 8 Eddie1967 @ 09/02/09 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
This game looks great! The Ai is very solid! I am so ready for this bad boy. The puck physics is top notch and the AI cycles real good. Eddie we are going to be loving this game!
Yes we are Scott, like you said the AI cycles really good, the defense plays very sound positionally and no spin-o-rama's by the CPU when driving towards the net. A very good upgrade from 2k9 for the presentation, visuals, and the game play. I'm ecstatic!!!!!!!!

# 9 adayinthelife @ 09/02/09 09:10 PM
Faceoffs looked great, as did puck physics (even with that heinous giant puck shadow) as they always have in the 2k series. Seriously, this series has always had incredible puck movements, this is where EA needs to focus.

So much 1 handed stick handling though, not sure why that's still there but it's very annoying.

# 10 TreyIM2 @ 09/02/09 09:17 PM
I actually downloaded last year's demo, again, because I never played it, even though I downloaded it on day one. I started it up but then turned it off for some odd reason and never attempted it again then ended up deleting it.

At any rate, I played that demo the other day and woo, what the hell was I thinking?? I actually like the controls better than NHL 09/10's demos. Too bad they're not releasing a demo for it, this year, though. While I like NHL 10's demo, I just feel that maybe 2K will have a shot at knocking EA off the NHL throne, this year, and I want to test drive it, first. Guess I will have to wait for the reviews, this time.

# 11 original6 @ 09/02/09 09:18 PM
First impressions:

-Gameplay way too fast on the user settings. Looked too much like pinball hockey.

-Much, much improved cpu cycling. I mean HUGE difference!

-Cpu still not dumping the puck when they should shorthanded, but dumping sometimes nonetheless

-Goalies still look like 2k9's. I would've like to have seen something more like 2k8's.

-Commentary still awkward and unemotional. Very robotronic.

-Player models and faces look vastly improved.

-Skating looks the same. Still needs improvement

-Collisions mostly the same. Not a bad thing though.

-Cpu defensive positioning and use of sticks very good. Cpu relies on these far more than checking. Very nice!

-Didn't really see much if any boardplay at all. Hmmm....

Overall, very impressed with the ai improvements. Nothing else really stands out to me yet.

# 12 jyoung @ 09/02/09 09:27 PM
Gonna' have to wait for this to show up on youtube, because there's no way my internet is good enough to handle this monster file.

# 13 TIm @ 09/02/09 09:27 PM
Come on....IS there a better way to view this video??? 2 hrs to download...

# 14 original6 @ 09/02/09 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
If the sliders work like they say they do I am sure you can fix all that.
Sliders could fix the gamespeed and pinball feel. However, I don't see them making the goalies into 2k8 ones. Pinning frequency, maybe. Too bad there's no demo with working sliders for me to test it out......

Guess I'll have to wait until some of you guys buy the game and report how it plays with slider tweaks. I'm not sold yet based on this vid. Again, I am thoroughly impressed with the ai improvements. They're definitely on the right track now.

# 15 Eddie1967 @ 09/02/09 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIm
Come on....IS there a better way to view this video??? 2 hrs to download...
WOW, 2 hours. Mine was about 2 minutes. Hooray for Verizon!

# 16 original6 @ 09/02/09 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
WOW, 2 hours. Mine was about 2 minutes. Hooray for Verizon!
Mine wasn't bad. Only about 10 minutes at most.

Quote:
I might be able to go see this game week so I will see if I can get those question answered.
That'd be cool.

I'm surprised to find out that these were supposedly custom settings for "sim" fans by WWTC. I've played against Anthony online a few times way back in the 2k4 days and the gamespeed and passing was definitely slower and more realistic. Ah well, at least there's sliders.

# 17 phillyfan23 @ 09/02/09 09:43 PM
watched the first 5 mins of the video and here are my quick impressions solely on cpu AI.

GOOD

1) Cpu Cycling and overall offense logic is improved. Check the vide from 1:05 to 1:18, the hartnell-giroux-carter line did some nice cycling which ended with a prime scoring chance in the slot for carter off a feed from Giroux. Hartnell also showed off some of his grit there, where he flattened a guy coming to check him off the puck and a second later he did a nice aggressive move to another player to regain the puck.

2) Puck physics .....what can i say? just real nice to see.

3) Dump and chase was used twice effectively in this video by the cpu. Check 1:52 to 2:00 of the video. richards was stuffed at the blue line, he chipped it in and the flyers sent 2 forecheckers and won the puck .....and then CYCLING ensues until a flyers player tried to wheel the puck around all the way to the point , in this instance the play failed, but at another time this whhel around reached the pointmen. Also, a cpu d-man used this wheel around play to try the clear the zone. Nice to see

there seems to be a nice balance between on the rush offense and cycling offense. Have not seen a kamikaze mode rush where the cpu forward goes straight to the net like they did in 2k9.

BAD
-

1) Cpu does some weird things when presented with a some 1 on 2 situations. Check the video at 1:36 to 1:43...Ovechkin 1 on 2 against coburn and parent. Parent whiffs on an unrealistic looking hip check (??) and coburn just lets Pvechkin take a clear shot....one of those guys need to challeng and sell out on ovie since it is a 1 on 2 .

This happens again ...check the video at 4:46 to 4:50.

Again it's ovechkin against 2 philly d-men and they just keep backing up and backing up until ovechkin takes a shot. Very poor defense there....

Hopefully sliders can fix this issue as it does have the potential to be a big big problem for offline gamers.

2) passes too accurate but sliders should fix this as it did last year....

3) flyers need to dump passes more on the PK, but again this should be fixable in team specific strategies for the PK and from my experience last year, these things work.

all in all good feeling from watching this vid, except the 1 on 2 problem.

# 18 original6 @ 09/02/09 09:44 PM
If you want to see some excellent cpu ai cycling, watch the Philly PP at around 11:00 of the vid. Outstanding!

# 19 Burbruee @ 09/02/09 09:45 PM
I've encoded a low-resolution version of the video at 640x360 and 116 MB.

You can get it here:
http://calibatta.pointclark.net/dump...090209_low.mp4

# 20 original6 @ 09/02/09 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan23
watched the first 5 mins of the video and here are my quick impressions solely on cpu AI.

GOOD

1) Cpu Cycling and overall offense logic is improved. Check the vide from 1:05 to 1:18, the hartnell-giroux-carter line did some nice cycling which ended with a prime scoring chance in the slot for carter off a feed from Giroux. Hartnell also showed off some of his grit there, where he flattened a guy coming to check him off the puck and a second later he did a nice aggressive move to another player to regain the puck.

2) Puck physics .....what can i say? just real nice to see.

3) Dump and chase was used twice effectively in this video by the cpu. Check 1:52 to 2:00 of the video. richards was stuffed at the blue line, he chipped it in and the flyers sent 2 forecheckers and won the puck .....and then CYCLING ensues until a flyers player tried to wheel the puck around all the way to the point , in this instance the play failed, but at another time this whhel around reached the pointmen.

BAD-

1) Cpu does some weird things when presented with a some 1 on 2 situations. Check the video at 1:36 to 1:43...Ovechkin 1 on 2 against coburn and parent. Parent whiffs on an unrealistic looking hip check (??) and coburn just lets Pvechkin take a clear shot....one of those guys need to challeng and sell out on ovie since it is a 1 on 2 .

This happens again ...check the video at 4:46 to 4:50.

Again it's ovechkin against 2 philly d-men and they just keep backing up and backing up until ovechkin takes a shot. Very poor defense there....

Hopefully sliders can fix this issue as it does have the potential to be a big big problem for offline gamers.

2) passes too accurate but sliders should fix this as it did last year....

3) flyers need to dump passes more on the PK, but again this should be fixable in team specific strategies for the PK and from my experience last year, these things work.

all in all good feeling from watching this vid, save the 1 on 2 problem.

overall
Excellent observations, especially about the 1 on 2's. A bit worrisome still seeing that from 2k9.

« Previous123456Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.