Home
FIFA 10 News Post

For those of you that can grab the FIFA Soccer 10 demo, please post your impressions here.

FIFA Soccer 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view FIFA Soccer 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: FIFA Soccer 10Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 9 - View All
FIFA Soccer 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 blisterdfingerz @ 09/22/09 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebby

Anyway - For me... I think the pace in PES is off a bit and the players don't seem attached to the environment. It's almost like their legs are moving but they are just sliding across a background. The ball physics and player movement all seem off to me compared to FIFA.
I always used to think it was PES that was more attached to the environment and FIFA had this lower sense of gravity on the pitch. FIFA seem to have really nailed it this time around though. For example you would never see a player nutmegged just because of his footing, it would most likely have to of been in the animation before. I always leaned towards PES in the past because of this but on the few games ive had on the FIFA demo they seem to have fixed this. Everything seems more responsive to. This may be the first time since i can remember that i'll only need to buy one football game this year.

# 162 southernbelle @ 09/22/09 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster
Vermaelen who can play on the wing, but usually is central in defense. ?
dude - Vermaelen on the wing? never at Arsenal, maybe AJAX, never seen them. i was at the Emirates for the match, Verm was quality. been so impressed with his physicality. his second had the most bend of any shot by arsenal player this year!

but on to your other points, you make a great viewpoint. for all the flash and tricks, it does not play like real football. but its an amazing video game to play. not near a sim, but very addictive. cant wait for Oct 2!!!!!

# 163 mebby @ 09/22/09 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by demencia_total
I wish FIFA would adopt PES' "special abilities" system that gives the players individual traits, but it doesn't seem like its going to be in this year, so we are stuck with the same generic styles as last year. I believe 08 had something like this, but it wasnt editable and I'm not sure it actually made a difference at all. It really sucks for me because I cannot stand the level of automation that PES has as far as controls, and I absolutely adore the freedom of FIFA's system, but the lack of variety between the players really kills a lot the of excitement for me.
Yea - I agree that this could really alter the game a bit (for the better). Those special abilities in PES were pretty cool and made a huge difference in what players I sought to acquire. You could really build a dynamic team like this...

# 164 southernbelle @ 09/22/09 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
for the most part it's a bunch of teenagers that think FIFA is "realistic" because they have the license/uniforms and good graphics.
thats a shame... but i think most people are just excited about FIFA 2010, not making it the exact replica of footie.

the problem i see is what most people speak about is the lack of fouls, build up play and tactics that happen with fifa... and in real football that happens over two 45 minute halves. most people play 8 to 10 minute halves in FIFA, i would guess. its hard to get the same nuances and build up...

i think its the same with all sports game (good artilces on front page) where there is the curve that plots realism v fun.

i understand your frustration.

# 165 southernbelle @ 09/22/09 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mebby
Yea - I agree that this could really alter the game a bit (for the better). Those special abilities in PES were pretty cool and made a huge difference in what players I sought to acquire. You could really build a dynamic team like this...
there are special skills to be earned for your VP.

# 166 JRod @ 09/22/09 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
Couldn't have said it better myself. Especially the FIFA boards comment. There are a handful of what I would actually call SIM guys that post there, but for the most part it's a bunch of teenagers that think FIFA is "realistic" because they have the license/uniforms and good graphics.

The developers post in that forum and the game, to their credit, is designed around the feedback from that Community. Again, props them for "listening", but that community seems to be more concerned with trick moves, online rankings, and highlight reel goals.

There has been a big push on the EA boards for changes/improvements to MM and the design team responded, but it's very rare that anyone ever posts anything about the lack of fouls, teams playing the same, and the fastbreak style football that plagues this game. Very frustrating.

I'm not completely down on FIFA 10 because I do notice some great things about the game. Maybe changes in CTT will help a little.
It's not teenagers that things its more realistic. We don't know what they final versions will look like completely so I guess we can argue on the demos.

In years past FIFA's main selling point was kits, leagues and licenses. Gameplay was super arcade. I don't think anyone would argue that FIFA was a pretty formulaic and not dynamic in goal scoring or playing the game.

Since FIFA's new direction the main weak points were one-on-one interactions. You can't really "deke" players because they are too aggressive and effective getting the ball off players. And maybe the position play with teammates or defense. I show we could run off some other things like GK AI, AI tactics has other problem areas.

Not to get into a PES v FIFA debate...but the other game has been woeful since making the transition. It never regained it's former glory of WE9/10.

I would go so far that PES and FIFA are more closely similar than people think. And the flaws in one game are the same flaws in the other. For the record I thought that AI in PES had just as big problems as FIFA 09 just in different areas.

Like I said, at the end of the day it's all about what's fun. How can NHL 09 be one of the sports game of the years. Defense was bad, there was no board play and GK AI was superhuman. Yet it was fun for many people. I think that's the key for any soccer game. It has to be fun and realistic. Now we can argue for years what that means for every individual. The things you must have are things I can live without.

At the end of the day, will FIFA 10 be fun. For me, I don't play online so my expectations are on a dynamic MM that I can play different teams and have a unique experience each time that I enjoy. I believe for us fellow MM'ers that we'll have that experience this year.

And if FIFA 10 is fun but has some problems I can live with, then I'll be more than happy.

# 167 southernbelle @ 09/22/09 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod
Since FIFA's new direction the main weak points were one-on-one interactions. You can't really "deke" players because they are too aggressive and effective getting the ball off players. And maybe the position play with teammates or defense. I show we could run off some other things like GK AI, AI tactics has other problem areas.
both you and therizing make excellent points...

# 168 Ermolli @ 09/23/09 12:17 AM
I had just played the demo and I really liked it. I believe Fifa has been improving a lot since Fifa 08 and it isn't arcade anymore. Also Martin Caceres is on the demo(only uruguayian )

# 169 cincy14fan @ 09/23/09 06:44 AM
Got done playing a game (second game played total) between Chicago Fire (me) and against Barcelona. Lost 3-2 in a shootout. They had fourteen shots and I only had six, but did get a P.K. kick in the game that would tie the game 1-1 before half.

Did a nice through pass just inside the box and was rolling out so I tried to cross it and the defender slide in and hit me which lead to the foul which Ebidal got a yellow.

I did have 49 percent of possession that game. One thing I really did like and notice is that you can do through passes from one side to the other side of the pitch from runs. I did find success doing short passes, but what helped me keep the game close was switching the field which can now do with through passes. Last year was a lot harder to be accurate or even being able to continue the run (getting stuck in animation).

The first game I was Chelsea and after playing with the Fire I could tell a big difference between how to two teams I played with. Also with Barcelona they used the side of the field more (only cause Messi was always out there) more than when I played against Juventus. One funny thing was to see a MLS goalie rated higher than Peter Cech in overall.

# 170 areobee401 @ 09/23/09 10:43 AM
Let me first start off by saying that i've only watched maybe 15-25 games of soccer in my lifetime. So I am by no means do I really understand what is missing as far as strategy goes.

One thing I noticed about the game is that the pacing of the game seems too fast. Even the cpu controlled teams look to push the ball foward asap. It's not ofton that they try and set plays or play any different then other teams in the game.

One thing I liked is the AI cuts off passing lanes much butter then it did in last years game. I tried out the broadcast camera with it zoomed in 2 clicks which call me crazy but seemed like it slowed the game down a little. Which is a good thing in my book.

With the new NBA2k looking to be more of the same I may just have to settle on FIFA and Madden for my winter sports game fix.

# 171 demencia_total @ 09/24/09 05:53 AM
Until the game is tuned to be played for longer halves, it will keep its frenetic pace. Problem is, a lot of people seem to like the ability to be able to play quick fun games rather than drawn out battles. The only way to achieve the latter is to play other people who enjoy a slower pace and with all manual controls, and sometimes thats difficult to find because most get caught up in the race. And you still have the lack of fouls problem even in head to head, so there's no perfect solution.

Anyways, I'll be posting my impressions on the full game next week since it seems to be on schedule to be released on the 1st here in Australia.

# 172 PeruvianPlaya954 @ 09/24/09 01:23 PM
Quote:
Until the game is tuned to be played for longer halves, it will keep its frenetic pace. Problem is, a lot of people seem to like the ability to be able to play quick fun games rather than drawn out battles. The only way to achieve the latter is to play other people who enjoy a slower pace and with all manual controls, and sometimes thats difficult to find because most get caught up in the race. And you still have the lack of fouls problem even in head to head, so there's no perfect solution.

Anyways, I'll be posting my impressions on the full game next week since it seems to be on schedule to be released on the 1st here in Australia.
Oh how I hate you right now.

# 173 demencia_total @ 09/24/09 09:36 PM
Hahaha I knew it was bound to get me some hate. Here in Australia everyone gets screwed with a lot of releases coming late, so I guess FIFA is the only way to make up for all the other stuff.

# 174 Guffers @ 09/25/09 12:21 PM
Quote:
Hahaha I knew it was bound to get me some hate. Here in Australia everyone gets screwed with a lot of releases coming late, so I guess FIFA is the only way to make up for all the other stuff.
Not to mention the high RRP for games over here. I'm quite chuffed though as the 1st is actually much closer than I first thought.

# 175 demencia_total @ 09/26/09 01:47 AM
Word. $79 is probably the cheapest you'll find it. Either at Kmart or at JB Hi-Fi.

# 176 calcutta @ 09/26/09 06:12 AM
For my fellow Aussies:

The FIFA 2010 RRP for the 360 and PS3 versions is $109.95 this year!

JB Hi-Fi will have it for $89 on release. They are also offering a trade deal - "trade 3 non-excluded games to get FIFA 2010 FREE". You must trade three 360 games towards the 360 version, or three PS3 games towards the PS3 version. The exclusions list is HERE.

Also keep an eye out on Big W...they often sell as cheap or cheaper than JB for new releases.

I'll be doing the trade deal myself, might even trade in the 2009 version towards it.

# 177 demencia_total @ 09/26/09 06:51 AM
Thanks for posting this. I'm going for the trade in then, as FIFA 09 isn't excluded and I won't need it anymore so that's awesome.

Edit: for the other two games, I'm going to purchase two $20 an under games at EB Games that aren't excluded at JB Hi-Fi. So if you don't want to trade your games, you probably can get it for about $40 if you trade in FIFA 09 plus the other two you get at EB, which isn't a bad deal considering how little you can get in return for a straight trade in deal.

# 178 Moses Shuttlesworth @ 09/26/09 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcutta
For my fellow Aussies:

The FIFA 2010 RRP for the 360 and PS3 versions is $109.95 this year!

JB Hi-Fi will have it for $89 on release. They are also offering a trade deal - "trade 3 non-excluded games to get FIFA 2010 FREE". You must trade three 360 games towards the 360 version, or three PS3 games towards the PS3 version. The exclusions list is HERE.

Also keep an eye out on Big W...they often sell as cheap or cheaper than JB for new releases.

I'll be doing the trade deal myself, might even trade in the 2009 version towards it.
Any deal like that in the U.S.?

# 179 CX1329 @ 09/26/09 04:12 PM
I'm in football heaven with this game. The more I learn to play, the more freedom I have on offense. It's amazing to keep defenders at bay by passing and dribbling smartly, and I love how each player type is well represented. It's fun to sprint with players who rely on pace, muscle my way through defenders with strong midfielders or fullbacks, or dribble circles around everybody with finesse players.

The 360 dribbling and physics in FIFA 10 are AMAZING. I'm more of a basketball fan, but I've fallen in love with FIFA.

# 180 JRod @ 09/27/09 05:02 PM
A vid on fifasoccerblog.com which is of Real v Barca shows what I think has been a huge drawback in previous versions, lack of the AI passing it back. At around the 1min mark you'll see Barca pass it back and reset it's offense.

I think we are going to get a slightly different game than the demo. In some of these final vids you see more of the AI's thinking.

In contrast with the other game, it still seems more to be an up and down game. But like NHL 09/10 I think that's what EA goes for. If you hate that than you will probably never like FIFA.

But after spending a good amount of time watching EPL games over the weekend, I think EA gets it mostly right. Like a poster here said earlier, I think it's modeled more towards the EPL than other leagues. The EPL is very up and down and very much a passing game. Where on the continent player technical are allowed to come through. I think this creates more wing play for the EPL and that's why you see more wing play in FIFA. Whereas in Spain, the Messi's of the world use their skill in the middle of the pitch to control the game.

The other reason for the up and down game, is the games unrealistic passing accuracy. Again like in NHL, passing if far to accurate. If you cross it on the wings, it's likely to "find" your player in the box. Because the passing is so accurate it's far too easy for poor teams to pass their way out of trouble. Add it players have too good and control and even League 2 teams can pass their way out of trouble.

I wish they would make passing less tethered. And make team AI, for some teams, like they did in Euro 08, where some times would put 10 men behind the ball. Yes in that game is was impossible to break down teams but it more realistic than having poor teams being able to counter attack so easily.

We'll see...still looks amazing!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.