Home
NBA 2K10 News Post

2K Sports has announced the patch details for NBA 2K10.

Quote:
"Hey 2Kers,

Just an update to let everyone know that we have completed the Xbox 360 version of the patch. As promised, you will find the patch details below. The items in bold are items that have also been addressed in a new version of the PS3 patch (I've updated that thread with the appropriate information).

To answer a question that I have received many queries about, these patches do NOT require you to restart your Associations and My Player careers. Good luck with your players and teams!

SimBaller"

Game: NBA 2K10Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 74 - View All
NBA 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Bornindamecca @ 10/21/09 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
See, I don't agree that locking it is completely worse. What happens when you run into the guy that has astronomical numbers online because he plays 12 minutes, averages 45 ppg offline, and that translates to an insane amount of skill for the user to increase their stats, and thus, their overall? I believe a multiplier is used when calculating skill points.

I think they are screwed either way. Just something we have to consider for this year. If they give us the option to change it, we might just have to be aware of the possible consequences.

...and you guys know damn well there's that one guy who will continually play on 12 minutes, ever game, just to get his guy to a 99.
^^^That is an unreasonable fear, because as it is, you can get your guy to a functional 99 in less than a week on five minute games. So if your concern is for having 99 rated players, fear not fair maiden for that fate is already upon you.

--By functional 99, I mean 99 quickness, 99 speed, 90+ dunk, 90+ shot rating, 90+ handles. You can boost your overall with less important stats like awareness, but we're really talking about someone that plays like a 99.

--As someone addressed in the petition thread, the minutes played between tip off and the final buzzer are irrelevant. You get more points for completing a game than you do within each game. So even if you play GREAT, it's only what, 400-600 extra points depending on height/position. Compared to getting an A+, which earns you 900. Then in a shorter game, the defensive goals are easier, because your man has less time to be effective.

So just puzzle it out, Pared. If X and Y are both playing My Player mode for 40 minutes, but X is playing two full games and Y is playing three quarters and four minutes of the fourth, whose time yields more points?

Bingo!

The guy playing shorter minutes earns more points. This number raises with directly proportionate increase. And keep in mind, we are talking about optimal performance in a lengthy game, not taking into account the people that are lowering their scores with turnovers and bad defense.

The only reason to raise game time is for better sim numbers and a more enriching game-by-game experience. It is actually counter productive to raise your minutes per if you're trying to boost your overall as fast as possible. Post patch: it'll be even faster to raise your overall, because more games played = more drills= more skill points, particularly speed.

# 122 no juice @ 10/21/09 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
Awesome post bro.
I've felt this way for years. you just summarized it better than i ever could.

Im surprised most of us haven't realized this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
^^^That is an unreasonable fear, because as it is, you can get your guy to a functional 99 in less than a week on five minute games. So if your concern is for having 99 rated players, fear not fair maiden for that fate is already upon you.

--By functional 99, I mean 99 quickness, 99 speed, 90+ dunk, 90+ shot rating, 90+ handles. You can boost your overall with less important stats like awareness, but we're really talking about someone that plays like a 99.

--As someone addressed in the petition thread, the minutes played between tip off and the final buzzer are irrelevant. You get more points for completing a game than you do within each game. So even if you play GREAT, it's only what, 400-600 extra points depending on height/position. Compared to getting an A+, which earns you 900. Then in a shorter game, the defensive goals are easier, because your man has less time to be effective.

So just puzzle it out, Pared. If X and Y are both playing My Player mode for 40 minutes, but X is playing two full games and Y is playing three quarters and four minutes of the fourth, whose time yields more points?

Bingo!

The guy playing shorter minutes earns more points. This number raises with directly proportionate increase. And keep in mind, we are talking about optimal performance in a lengthy game, not taking into account the people that are lowering their scores with turnovers and bad defense.

The only reason to raise game time is for better sim numbers and a more enriching game-by-game experience. It is actually counter productive to raise your minutes per if you're trying to boost your overall as fast as possible. Post patch: it'll be even faster to raise your overall, because more games played = more drills= more skill points, particularly speed.
Thank you...that's where im getting at. Yes in the end everyone's player will be awesome. I just fell cheated when my player has a 20/10 game and DWade has 8 points. That's just crazy. I'll sacrifice a few skill points to have an enjoyable my player experience...cuz in the end I'm still gonna get my skill points

# 123 Pared @ 10/21/09 03:00 PM
I haven't spent enough time with it to give you a detailed reply, unfortunately. But I'm sure my concerns have to be of similar reasoning to why you can't change the time.

Ultimately, we didn't create the mode and try to dictate what you should be able to achieve, 2k's developers did. What their reasoning is, I can't tell you, but "sim-like" or not, do you think it's fair that someone who puts in MORE time shouldn't be rewarded appropriately? You don't think someone would complain about that?

There has to be a better solution. Changing goals dependent on quarter length, etc., things that may not be possible via patch.

There could also be a size issue due to the large list of items already seemingly present.

# 124 NumberOneRB @ 10/21/09 03:10 PM
I know it's nit-picky, but I wonder if the patch will be able to fix the Lakers paint color and the Bulls bench being on the wrong side at home games? Simballer stated there were a pretty good amount of other improvements in this patch that weren't mentioned in the announcement.

# 125 Bornindamecca @ 10/21/09 03:16 PM
Quote:
I haven't spent enough time with it to give you a detailed reply, unfortunately. But I'm sure my concerns have to be of similar reasoning to why you can't change the time.
And if that's the reasoning, it's important that they know it's wrong, so that there is at least an outside chance of them not ruining this mode for so many people. I mean think about it...if you get drafted to the Nuggets, can you really enjoy 82 games where Carmelo averages 13-16 pts and you average 20-30?

Statistically, it's god mode as soon as you're at a 60-65 overall.

Quote:
Ultimately, we didn't create the mode and try to dictate what you should be able to achieve, 2k's developers did. What their reasoning is, I can't tell you, but "sim-like" or not, do you think it's fair that someone who puts in MORE time shouldn't be rewarded appropriately? You don't think someone would complain about that?
I don't understand what you're saying. Anyone who is good at the game and puts in a lot of time will wind up with a 99, regardless of their minutes. No one who wants to race to a 99 rated player is going to be playing 10-12 minutes.

Anyone who plays the mode can tell you, when you get the A+ and hit all of your objectives and you're up, part of you says "man, I hope they just sit me down for the rest of the game so I can get out with me gold!"

Shorter minutes cater to this, it's simple arithmetic.

Quote:
There has to be a better solution. Changing goals dependent on quarter length, etc., things that may not be possible via patch.
Solution to what? Maybe I wasn't clear, but getting an A+ grade has no relationship to your minutes, and that is the bulk of your skill points. The excess time played in a game is devoted to less fruitful activities like "good pass", and "set off ball screen" which do not boost your skill points in a significant enough way to throw off the overall balance of the ratio between time spent and skill points received.

Skill level will be the biggest factor.

Quote:
There could also be a size issue due to the large list of items already seemingly present.
Then just leave it alone. No need to touch the ability to change the minutes/difficulty at all. For skilled players, the mode is very easy, and they'd be raising the difficulty, not lowering it.

# 126 NumberOneRB @ 10/21/09 03:29 PM
I was kind of hoping for a manual post button. Doubt that is one of the "many fixes" that went unmentioned in the report. Seems like it would be a pretty big deal, but then i guess they didn't really mention much about the many defensive AI issues that are supposedly being resolved by this patch so who knows.

# 127 drewbaby1414 @ 10/21/09 03:35 PM
Really hoping that the patch does not throw the Nogster roster out of whack...really big on the simulated stats.

# 128 SimBaller @ 10/21/09 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamalam
Please include a fix for this (Cap space)in the patch. Much needed for association.
This is a display error only. The actual value used to calculate the team cap is correct internally. The displayed value already gets corrected when a roster change takes place. You can confirm this yourself by making a trade or signing/waiving a player.

# 129 Pared @ 10/21/09 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
Solution to what? Maybe I wasn't clear, but getting an A+ grade has no relationship to your minutes, and that is the bulk of your skill points. The excess time played in a game is devoted to less fruitful activities like "good pass", and "set off ball screen" which do not boost your skill points in a significant enough way to throw off the overall balance of the ratio between time spent and skill points received.
That makes more sense and I have a better understanding of what you're getting at. Still, there may be other items to consider here. I'm sure they're reading your points and taking it into consideration.

# 130 Streets @ 10/21/09 03:45 PM
Sim,

do you know for sure if we are going to have to re-start our Associations post-patch for changes to take place?

I hope not as I've played every single game for about half an 82 game season (9 min quarters). Either way, this is still a great game!

# 131 AnArtofWar @ 10/21/09 03:45 PM
^ Thanks man! Although I wish Ronnie emailed me back..maybe he really didn't pass it on to you guys . Can you tell me though if you guys fixed the personality problem I mentioned though? It displays as a different morale..but when I put Jason Thompson at Laid back, and we won a championship, put him in for 40 minutes or so per game and yet he still barely barely barely moved on the morale scale(2 or 3 points). But maybe that was because he was so far gone(-7 points..I simmed to the playoffs and it auto saved because of the auto save bug ). But with OJ Mayo, he was/is also down -2 and I moved his to laid back as well.

And as Streets said..great game..I have had very few gripes and it looks like they will be fixed here..hopefully what I put in the wish list will be taken into account next year and it will be the best game of all time(right behind would be nba 2k10)..although I don't like this idea of locked 5 minute quarters, but I am more of an association man anyways.

# 132 Bornindamecca @ 10/21/09 04:04 PM
Quote:
That makes more sense and I have a better understanding of what you're getting at. Still, there may be other items to consider here. I'm sure they're reading your points and taking it into consideration.
Glad I could clarify. I know you're not playing that mode as much, so I understand that there could be some disconnect.

I hope they're reading it. It'd be a real waste if Erick was only reading my bad jokes.

# 133 TheFuture94 @ 10/21/09 04:27 PM
Can somebody explain to me what the problem was with the drills in My Player mode was and what they did to fix it?

# 134 rdlkilla2k @ 10/21/09 04:58 PM
thank you finally i can enjoy this game.............

# 135 BroMontana82 @ 10/21/09 05:34 PM
Quote:
WOW... that's an excellent post. Can't believe I missed it the first run through.

It bears repeating: excellent post. Worth quoting again.

You'd expect many to know better here at OS... yet they seem to just refuse this fact. Is it how it should be? No. Is it the reality? Absolutely.

Ignoring this fact is done on purpose, seemingly. We go through the same song and dance every year, no matter the game, no matter the forum.
Pared and everyone else touching on game testing, I thought you might find this thread interesting.

Something that stood out to me was the limited resources for testing. I'm sure there are very good and valid reasons to NOT have people in the community like yourself test these games, but it seems like it would be beneficial for many obvious reasons if it was possible.

http://2ksports.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post2801267

From b-Dub:
Every year we get a thread or two about this and every year I have to go and remind people how things work.

The testers for 2K are not just 2K Sports testers. They test other 2K games as well. The majority of them are in one office, near LA at one of 2K's main offices. There is a group of testers, but not all of them are testing the same game. I don't know how many are actually testing 2K Sports games, and NBA 2K in particular, but I'm sure it could be more. But that's a financial matter with the company. Also, the testers generally rotate games, so they aren't always playing the same game over and over. Because of that, you can't expect any or all of them to have a great knowledge of basketball or sports. Generally, each day when they arrive, they have a list of things to test out in a certain game, then they spend the day testing those things out and trying to "break" the game.

Also know that testing is usually something that goes on for months and months. But since sports games come out on a yearly basis, that means you have less time to test and less time to fix bugs that may be found before release. So, what do you do when you have a set deadline to get a game out the door and no way to delay that? You have to prioritize. Which bugs need to be fixed before release? Which bugs can be fixed later in a patch? And which bugs can wait until next year, because there just isn't time? I'm sure those aren't easy decisions to make, because a bug that one person doesn't experience to often or finds minor, someone else might experience it often or is very bothered by it.

As for why aren't these bugs found in testing. Again, each day the testers generally have a list of things to test out. Then, closer to release, they get a near finished build to play around with and try to find as many things as they can. But, 15-20 testers (guessing at that number there) with a limited amount of time just aren't going to be able to find all the bugs that 100,000+ people will find. And some of the bugs that members here have reported, may have been reported by a tester, but then the company decided it was a low priority bug. But, if enough members complain about that bug, then it suddenly goes from low priority to high priority.

And why be upset that the patch won't be out within one month release? Don't you want the things in the patch to work? Also, with the approval process that Sony and MS does, it can be real tough getting something out within a month.

I know some of you people don't care to read this or know this, because you think 2K should be able to produce flawless games and have one million testers capable of finding every bug in existence. But, that's just not how it is. Yes, the game may feel rushed, but in a sense, it is. When you only have a year to get a game out, it's going to be a bit rushed in some areas. Think about it. Most games on the current generation of hardware is in development for 3+ years. They can be delayed if need be. They have a long time to test. Games with big multiplayer online features even have open beta. Yet, sports games still stick with the yearly release, with limited amount of testing. It's an outdated system, in my opinion, and that's why sports games always seem behind the curve when compared to other genres. And why it takes them quite a few years for their game to truly feel "next gen". And it's also why some features in the game can feel rushed.

# 136 AnArtofWar @ 10/21/09 05:47 PM
^ Good post. I think they should get some sports buffs(preferably big 2k players) and have them actually play the game..if you don't trust them posting stuff online make them sign a contract. I am sure people would PAY to play the alpha/beta stages and would catch more bugs...

# 137 BroMontana82 @ 10/21/09 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnArtofWar
^ Good post. I think they should get some sports buffs(preferably big 2k players) and have them actually play the game..if you don't trust them posting stuff online make them sign a contract. I am sure people would PAY to play the alpha/beta stages and would catch more bugs...
yeah i asked why they don't do something like this but the thread quickly turned into something far less than constructive criticism or dialogue...those boards are just a mess usually.

# 138 Lawless66007 @ 10/21/09 06:16 PM
What I don't understand is why they just put Superstar difficulty on just ranked Team-up matches instead of ALL ranked games. I see they still want the cheesers to keep playing.

# 139 DirtyJerz32 @ 10/21/09 06:18 PM
Quote:

I think most would value those defensive fixes more than anything else. I assumed they would be fixed (because they were so prominently complained about on the boards here) but I figured why not get confirmation.
The D issues are my biggest ones. Sliders help the other stuff but, the D or lack of D are my biggest concerns. Thanks for the headsup.

# 140 toolified @ 10/21/09 06:35 PM
these changes are awesome (as people have said...if they dont break the game in other ways). a fair few of the changes can be made manually via sliders, but changing too many sliders feels kinda like cheating so im glad they're attending to things like alley-oops. it will basically fix most of my nit-picking issues so i can't wait

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.