Home
MLB 10 News Post

First and foremost I would like to thank Russell for his time with me today. I know he's worn out from all the interviewing and the repetition of answering the same questions over and over. He is a very cool individual like many have said here in this forum.

Unfortunately I was not able to get to the area where he was at till late in the day (LONG STORY). I probably won't be able to answer very many questions but I will try to. I think Russell is probably the better person to ask when it comes to individual questions.

What I will do is try to give you an idea of what I thought about it and some of the questions I asked Russell. Remember.. I'm an ONLINE ONLY person. I don't know anything about franchise or RTTS.

Also I did take about 5 short video clips. This was when Russell was on break perhaps. When Russell came back I immediately introduced myself and he took about 30 minutes too show me the new things that have been implemented. So we threw a lot of balls down the middle and walk players intentionally so we could create double play scenarios and try to see all the new animations and such. Then we started up a real game between the Braves and Dodgers @ Dodger Stadium. Russell - Dodgers, Me - Braves (tried to match up the team he chose)

I will PM Russell FIRST to see if its allowed before I put the videos on YouTube. Unfortunately, there wasn't a lot of action in the clips I got but a lot of you guys have good attention to detail so maybe you'll see something new.

GRAPHICS

I couldn't quite put my finger on it at first but the graphics jumped out at me immediately. I didn't know what was so different. Maybe its because I play online and the graphics suffer. But I can conclude that the lighting has improved greatly. The daylight transition looks nice too (Russell went thru each inning to show the transitions including the lights being turned on at the park).

The bats do indeed look much nicer than last years iteration. Saw the games played in Philadelphia, Minnesota, St. Louis, LAD. He mentioned that fireworks were added this year and I saw them in St. Louis during a night game when a player hit a homerun (Funny thing here: We were playing in MIN when a hometown player hit a homerun and the fireworks didn't go off. Russell jotted this down/made note of this error and pointed out you don't know because no one had played the game yet in that park!)

ANIMATIONS

This part of the game got a lot of love. There are a lot of new throwing animations. Saw a lot of new different throws from the OF. This makes the game even more realistic of course. I saw other animation too like popping the mitt from a 1st baseman or the pumping of the first from a pitcher (seemed different from last year). There are all new wall climbs but we didn't see any. Pujols did his ritual after hitting a HR 428ft to dead center (actually we didn't see it but Russell said it would be there). The fireworks were nice addition after hometeam HR (for some reason I thought they were there last year).

We also saw a double play ball up the middle where the runner tries to take out the 2nd baseman. When the 2nd baseman threw the ball he lost velocity on his throw AND he almost did a handstand after he released the ball!!! Being able to break up double plays is a much WELCOMED addition!

I think Russell said their were like 15 added animations for when throwing at a batter. I saw at least 3 new ones. The best one that I had seen so far was the one behind the batter. There was also another where the batter would turn in his tricep (facing pitcher) to avoid being hit.

BALL PHYSICS

Much Improved. When balls are hit down the line they don't just stop and wait to be picked up by the OF it will actually roll around in the corner. Ball collision detection is added. I saw balls get kicked around, ball hitting shin gaurd of the catcher and roll away. We shouldn't see the issue last year of balls going thru the pitcher or balls going completely thru a player's chest in the OF. There are choppers and dribblers. Seen a 1st baseman get eaten up by a chopper that rolled up his arm and on into RF. Flight of the ball looks more realistic as well.

GAMEPLAY

Well as I've said I'm an ONLINE ONLY guy. Much to my suprise I was slow getting the bat off my shoulders. Offline is much faster it seems as I was late on almost everything. It took me a few innings to adjust but still felt that the game was so fast I couldn't watch the flight of the ball like I do with online.

Now Russell and I play for real! He chose the Dodgers (Billingsly) and I chose a team that was ranked next to his, the Braves (Lowe). Through 5 innings Russell had a 1-0 lead. I think hits were even around 4 or 5 a piece. I believe Furcal was at the plate and I hit him in the foot and the game locked up (I'm sure he jotted this down too!). Unfortunately then I had to go. My offline game sucks when it comes to hitting.

The pitching meter was tweaked a little. I got lost somewhat about what he was telling me but I think this is what he meant. When pitching if you hit the meter then your more likely to hit your spot or very close to your spot. However on the flipside if you miss then you can miss badly. So anotherwords, there should be less complaints about people saying they can't hit their spots if they hit their meter (however pitcher confidence, etc still has effects on outcome.

Three new pickoff moves. Very sweet. Tap the 'O' button and the pitcher will throw a weak toss over to 1B. Hold the 'O' button and the pitcher will make a strong pickoff throw. Double-tap the 'O' button and the pitcher will give you a deceptive pickoff move (think Petitte here).

Maybe the best thing I saw improved was the throws to homeplate not being way offline all the time. Now it seems when they are offline they catcher for the most part just had to stretch to reach it then move his body to the other side to apply the tag. This is attribute based so I'm sure someone with a more erratic or weaker arm would make the catcher move away from the plate.

AUDIO

What sound. Too damn noisy @ CES! A lot of commentary was still not in the game.

OPTIONS

You can actually SCHEDULE a pitcher to be warmed up after a certain inning. This is real nice! You can also view your opponents bullpen from the start menu. Also when you are in the bullpen you can see the next 3 batters that are up on the opposing team!

CAMERA / PRESENTATION

There are no cutscenes. Everything is in real time. Nice! It's hard to explain. Its just like on television when the camera switches to another part of the field. The broadcast camera will take some getting used to when fielding. I only tried it for a little bit but I can imagine that when getting grounders it could be tough to judge at times. Neither one of us had any problems for a couple innings so maybe it'll all be good. I think I still prefer the default camera. Not sure would need much more time with this to be sure.

I made my case with how hard it was to get the MIC setup online with people because of the button mapping. He told me to PM him to remind him and he was going to talk with Jason about this. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to re-map the button but I'm no programmer! For us online gamers, let's pray that they can get this in before pressing!
Can't change camera view. They tried to get it in this year. Maybe next year.

That's all this old man can remember for now! I hope you guys enjoy the read. I hope I can get the videos upped to YouTube (pending Russel's approval). If not we should be seeing lots of gameplay footage from gametrailers.com soon.

VIDEOS

Video #1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwCRJDoQkbs
Video #2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIcvC85nYxk
Video #3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwiuHk80T9c
Video #4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKL-O808TZM

Again I apologize for the poor quality due to me using the zoom. I don't own this recorder and didn't know the quality would suffer that bad.

Game: MLB '10: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 66 - View All
MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 161 wrigleyville33 @ 01/10/10 11:53 AM
Dirt vs grass ball physics? ha. It would be incredible if they perfected it, ala balls hopping over the wall when they hit dirt or stopping in its tracks when if hits the grass. Imagine if they took it even further and made it stadium specific? For example, Wrigley has longer and thicker grass then most fields (if I remember correctly, its still long even after they redid the entire field and go rid of the "crown"), so what if they made ground balls slower?

# 162 countryboy @ 01/10/10 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino
Hey CB, be thankful it wasn't Matt Kemp vs Carpenter
Kemp is a little more tolerable. I mean, Kemp is a fine hitter. But f'n Billy Butler...really?

# 163 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/10/10 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
LOL. Yeah, we expect more from someone representing OS. No excuse will save you, either.

I am really hoping they were doing that on purpose to show the ball physics.

I kept saying on the routine fly ball, "catch the ball, catch the ball, come on catch the, wait what are you doing, nooooo, catch the damn, WHAT... WHAT"?

# 164 countryboy @ 01/10/10 11:59 AM
reading through this thread has only proven to me more that no single video game will ever be perfect because there will always be something "wrong" with the game.

BTW....from the vids I couldn't help but notice that the chalklines are 2 millimeters to thin. Also, the grass blades are about 2 inches too short which could be the reason why we are seeing the ball hit the grass and bounce over the wall. I know its an early build but maybe they could fix it before the final build or if not, then patch it because who wants to play a game where the chalklines are too thin and the grass is too short?

# 165 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/10/10 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
reading through this thread has only proven to me more that no single video game will ever be perfect because there will always be something "wrong" with the game.

BTW....from the vids I couldn't help but notice that the chalklines are 2 millimeters to thin. Also, the grass blades are about 2 inches too short which could be the reason why we are seeing the ball hit the grass and bounce over the wall. I know its an early build but maybe they could fix it before the final build or if not, then patch it because who wants to play a game where the chalklines are too thin and the grass is too short?
Pffft, where the heck is the game mode where we can be grounds crew and more our own fields.

# 166 nemesis04 @ 01/10/10 12:02 PM
Quote:

I like short grass!

# 167 Blzer @ 01/10/10 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
Blzer, c'mon man, you're asking all these questions and none of us have even played the game, or really seen any significant length of video. Don't you think the devs, who have for about four+ years now made the best baseball game on the market, considered this already? I highly doubt they're going to take the best playing baseball sim available, and make it near unplayable just for the sake of a broadcast came.

Patience dude, wait until we get more gameplay vids, or a demo, whatever. It's all hypotheticals right now.
I think you regard them too highly. I know that they know the sport of baseball, they'll do what they can to please the community, and that they wouldn't put something in if they didn't think it was for the best, but I have seen times where I think there is a better alternative, and this is one of them.

Like I said, that scenario still stands. Imagine there being a pickle here:

If you're the baserunner (or maybe the fielder), don't you think that this will be somewhat difficult to precisely determine your proximity with the opposing player? This may (and it only may) be the best angle to field a ball hit in this direction, but beyond that I don't see much good in this angle being created post-fielding.

Now look at this camera angle here (thanks dmbfan):

Don't you think that, not only does it remain consistent and look more beautiful showing off the entire field, and not only does it seem playable for any ball hit into the field (including down the lines), but that it would be much easier to perceive where you are in relation to a runner or fielder to make a decision on what to do? The other view causes that obstruction that doesn't make it very easy to see, and though it doesn't happen often, it only takes once for somebody to complain when it does to consider what could have been done to avoid it.

I'm just spit-balling here is all, waiting for the next awesome video to come out and hopefully see what home runs look like in this broadcast cam. Remember that I was the one last year who prayed, day in and day out, that we would have a broadcast cam. With that being said, you may think that I'm coming off as not liking this cam, but by that prior statement I must [by default] be the most excited to play with this camera once we get the demo. And it was me wishing constantly and early that got them the idea that this inclusion could be a good thing. I'm not complaining for complaining's sake, it's always for the greater good. The reason SCEA is so great is because they respond to the community, but we have to communicate back to them to make that work. I mean, you guys always say this is still an early build and they have a lot of tweaks to make, right? I'm suggesting things now.

# 168 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/10/10 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I like short grass!
http://instantrimshot.com/

# 169 countryboy @ 01/10/10 12:04 PM
to be frankly honest with the board here, I'm actually surprised that no one has brought up the fact that in the Royals vs Cardinals clip that the RBI base hit that Butler got was a groundball that seemingly went under the glove of the SS.

Wasn't that something that was viewed inadequate last year on the boards? Maybe I'm mistaken and it was something else.

# 170 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/10/10 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

You do realize that is "demo mode" and you will get different camera angles, than the set one we will have right.... right?

# 171 countryboy @ 01/10/10 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I like short grass!

# 172 Blzer @ 01/10/10 12:07 PM
Quote:

You have me all wrong here. You know how much I loved MLB '09 The Show despite its "faults" (and I hardly want to call them such because they already do everything better than any other baseball game ever has). You just have to remember that this game became what it was because the developers are perfectionists themselves, and they have listened to the community give feedback. Remember that "secret" thing where they flew down community members to rip the game apart? Why did they do that? This is why... year in and year out they are getting closer to perfection. I would like to be a big help in that whenever possible.

I'm not saying that the things they have in the game are awful and require an overhaul or else I won't buy the game, so don't take the nitpicking personally or a means to defend the game at all cost. You don't need to be sarcastic towards me, I already know that I'm going to drive two hours away to find this game a week early, and that I will probably miss class the day that the demo comes out to play it until my eyes shut themselves. You don't have to remind me of how great this game already is, but I'm just trying to remind everyone of where the greatness comes from and where improvements can still be made.

# 173 Blzer @ 01/10/10 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
You do realize that is "demo mode" and you will get different camera angles, than the set one we will have right.... right?
I'm pretty sure this is part of the broadcast camera. It is systematic to the flow of the rest of it (changes to this view when left of center, the center cam in the middle of the field, and down the right field line when right of center).

I'm not saying I don't realize this isn't a demo mode, but I don't think that's a relevant point in this case. This is the broadcast cam we're seeing in full effect here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
Wow.
I'm sorry, did I hit a nerve? Look, I'm not trying to get anyone in hot water here including myself, and I love these developers to death. This game is near perfection, but let's just get closer is all.

What I meant when I made that comment was that I think most people here believe that these guys can turn East L.A. into El Dorado. These guys are very talented... but let's draw lines here.

# 174 JT30 @ 01/10/10 12:10 PM
Quote:

Wow Blzer was just making a point about the ball hitting the grass and bouncing over the wall. Is this something you see in real life? I sure have not. I don't think you need to bash him for pointing out something that maybe the developers could analyze at this point and fix before release.

Why is constructive criticism an issue to you?

# 175 wrigleyville33 @ 01/10/10 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
How do you know that?

# 176 Knight165 @ 01/10/10 12:12 PM
Blz...I think the real problem is...you regard YOURSELF too highly.
Seriously....get a grip on yourself.

I know you're trying to get everything perfect(in Blzr's world perfect)....but you're a little heavy handed.

Less coffee...more water perhaps?

M.K.
Knight165

# 177 nemesis04 @ 01/10/10 12:12 PM
Quote:
I think you regard them too highly. I know that they know the sport of baseball, they'll do what they can to please the community, and that they wouldn't put something in if they didn't think it was for the best, but I have seen times where I think there is a better alternative, and this is one of them.

If you're the baserunner (or maybe the fielder), don't you think that this will be somewhat difficult to precisely determine your proximity with the opposing player? This may (and it only may) be the best angle to field a ball hit in this direction, but beyond that I don't see much good in this angle being created post-fielding.

Now look at this camera angle here (thanks dmbfan):

Don't you think that, not only does it remain consistent and look more beautiful showing off the entire field, and not only does it seem playable for any ball hit into the field (including down the lines), but that it would be much easier to perceive where you are in relation to a runner or fielder to make a decision on what to do? The other view causes that obstruction that doesn't make it very easy to see, and though it doesn't happen often, it only takes once for somebody to complain when it does to consider what could have been done to avoid it.

I'm just spit-balling here is all, waiting for the next awesome video to come out and hopefully see what home runs look like in this broadcast cam. Remember that I was the one last year who prayed, day in and day out, that we would have a broadcast cam. With that being said, you may think that I'm coming off as not liking this cam, but by that prior statement I must [by default] be the most excited to play with this camera once we get the demo. And it was me wishing constantly and early that got them the idea that this inclusion could be a good thing. I'm not complaining for complaining's sake, it's always for the greater good. The reason SCEA is so great is because they respond to the community, but we have to communicate back to them to make that work. I mean, you guys always say this is still an early build and they have a lot of tweaks to make, right? I'm suggesting things now.
I understand where you are coming from on this. Unfortunately there are going to be certain fielding scenarios that are going to be at more of a disadvantage than others. I know this camera view has been put under great scrutiny. We are going to have to wait and see what the end result will be.

# 178 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/10/10 12:13 PM
Quote:
I'm pretty sure this is part of the broadcast camera. It is systematic to the flow of the rest of it (changes to this view when left of center, the center cam in the middle of the field, and down the right field line when right of center).

I'm not saying I don't realize this isn't a demo mode, but I don't think that's a relevant point in this case. This is the broadcast cam we're seeing in full effect here.

No, it is NOT relevant, because that is the ONLY time we saw that camera angle. And the only time out of all the videos we saw that particular camera view, was on that one that says DEMO MODE. All the other PLAYER CONTROLLED ones were fixed behind the backstop with a zoom effect.

And even if it was used like you think, don't you think it would be situational and not alienating you out of plays.

You are basically asking way too many questions that are out of our realm of knowledge, and wont be known until they are ready to talk about such things. Patience.

# 179 beau21 @ 01/10/10 12:15 PM
Quote:
I agree that I would very much like to see a center-fixed camera angle like this one available at all times.. be it included in the retail copy or added later as a patched in camera option

However if this is not an option, I will be more than content with the one they've already showed.

My 2$

# 180 Blzer @ 01/10/10 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Blz...I think the real problem is...you regard YOURSELF too highly.
Seriously....get a grip on yourself.

I know you're trying to get everything perfect(in Blzr's world perfect)....but you're a little heavy handed.

Less coffee...more water perhaps?

M.K.
Knight165
Definitely man, it's a flaw of mine that I'm working on. Being a perfectionist (that doesn't mean that you're perfect, that means you strive for perfection) isn't always a good thing when time is against you, but can you honestly say that this series would be where it is now if it wasn't for the community feedback and working 100+ hours a week at times to make sure we have the greatest baseball game ever?

I never once spoke of myself, by the way. Like you just told me, there's nothing in my life that I think is good enough about me and I strive to make it better myself.

In short... I'll never be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau21
I agree that I would very much like to see a center-fixed camera angle like this one available at all times.. be it included in the retail copy or added later as a patched in camera option

However if this is not an option, I will be more than content with the one they've already showed.

My 2$

Agreed, and this is exactly the point that I'm trying to make. I'm the one that goes numb seeing this broadcast camera in effect, so you know that I'm satisfied with it. I'm just giving them a suggestion to really paralyze me (and perhaps everyone else as well).

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.