Home
NCAA Basketball 11 News Post

After all the rumors, it has become official.

Source: Gameinformer - EA Sports Confirms NCAA Basketball Benching

Quote:
"Looking over the list of list of Electronic Arts titles planned for release during the next fiscal year, one sports franchise is notably absent. Today EA Sports senior director of communications David Tinson confirmed that NCAA Basketball has fouled out of the lineup. “We do not have an NCAA Basketball game in development at this time, and we’re currently reviewing the future of our NCAA Basketball business," he said. "This was a difficult decision, but we remain a committed partner to the NCAA and its member institutions.”

Tinson also told Game Informer that the move to shut down NCAA will not result in another round of layoffs. Instead, the development team has been integrated into other projects. EA Canada still has two basketball games in development, with NBA Live and the recently announced resurrection of NBA Jam."

NCAA Basketball 11 screenshot gallery - Click to view NCAA Basketball 11 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NCAA Basketball 11Hype Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
Member Comments
# 41 Jukeman @ 02/10/10 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezee12
So they gave up NCAA Basketball for NBA Jam??? Bad move in my opinion...
It couldve been worst...Like giving up on Choops for Prize Fighter

# 42 bkfount @ 02/10/10 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a walrus
sO its a business.Possibly the clc will not want to miss out on the exposre & revenue generated within this industry.When you offer a product or service that no one can afford, you lower the price.The amount of people getting into ch2k8 has been steady over the years.College basketball in general is reaching a larger audiance every year.The forecast is not as gloomy as you might think.The common ground is that all parties envolved want to make a profit.The possibilities are their.Nothing is ever dropped without being picked up.Its not like its gonna 5 to 10 years before we see anything. 2-3 max possibly next week.
I'm sure 2k and EA wouldn't have abruptly bailed on franchises that took lots of money and effort to create if getting a better deal on the NCAA licensing fees was as simple as that. EA didn't even have to pay a premium for an exclusive license when 2k bowed out.

NASCAR went through the same thing with EA dropping them, and no one really jumping at the chance to get it, apart from the apparent limited implementation in GT5.

The sales just aren't there to justify a stand alone game that takes money and resources that could be used for other projects.

# 43 AUChase @ 02/10/10 10:45 PM
All I have to say is, "It's about time".

This series hasn't been good in years. I'd rather see no representation of NCAA Basketball in a game then bad representation.

# 44 IceNHL @ 02/10/10 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
I'm sure 2k and EA wouldn't have abruptly bailed on franchises that took lots of money and effort to create if getting a better deal on the NCAA licensing fees was as simple as that. EA didn't even have to pay a premium for an exclusive license when 2k bowed out.

NASCAR went through the same thing with EA dropping them, and no one really jumping at the chance to get it, apart from the apparent limited implementation in GT5.

The sales just aren't there to justify a stand alone game that takes money and resources that could be used for other projects.
well said.

# 45 jWILL253 @ 02/10/10 11:15 PM
A trend I am seeing from the sports gaming genre: lack of innovative titles = lack of sales. The victims:

NBA: The Life (Sony)
College Hoops (2K Sports)
All Pro Football (2K Sports)
MVP Baseball (EA Sports)
NCAA Basketball (EA Sports)
Inside Drive (Microsoft)
Fever (Microsoft)
Rivals (Microsoft)
Gameday (Sony/989 Studios)
Shootout (Sony/989 Studios)
Gamebreaker (Sony/989 Studios)

Soon-to-be victims:

NCAA Football (EA Sports)
MLB 2K (2K Sports)
NHL 2K (2K Sports)

Sports games are declining in sale dramatically because of three reasons , IMO:

1. Lack of innovation. While most sports games are meant to appeal to the casual audience, all the casual audience sees are yearly re-issues. Sports games might as well be magazines to them.

2. Lack of competition. EA Sports exclusivity vs. 2K Sports exclusivity. Nuff said.

3. Lack of quality (for BOTH consoles). It's bad enough already that there are 9 (yeah, you read right: N.I.N.E.!!!) different PS3 models, and 5 Xbox models (the first of which shouldn't have even been sold to the market). So, now, I gotta think about which version I get because it's better for ONE console and the others are crap?!

Oh, they play the same? Still, though, why do almost ALL the sports games that come out for 360 have custom soundtracks, and the only PS3 sports games that have it is The Show and SmackDown vs. Raw 2010?

Sports games have failed this generation...

# 46 nolan273 @ 02/10/10 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Court_vision
There hasn't been anyone working on the game for 3 months...the whole team was finished back in Nov.

No patch...nothing.

There won't be dlc + updates. There's no one to do them...

EA completely abandoned the game unfortunately.
I think he's speaking about in the future if EA were to release a college hoops game biennially and release DLC and patches between retail releases.

# 47 Swingking77 @ 02/10/10 11:32 PM
Still though, you'd have to wonder if this kind of thing could result in NCAA no longer wanting EA as an exclusive partner, as I'm sure it somehow hurts their bottom line... If this were to happen, all of a sudden there's an open door for the 2K once again... I'm sure the NCAA is none to happy about this decision as the Final Four tournament is a huge deal with them, and no NCAA basketball game, means no Final Four game... If it were to happen... The licence gone and 2K could make an NCAA football game again, kind of like EAs baseball games...

# 48 Gotmadskillzson @ 02/10/10 11:40 PM
Well now I feel special that I bought their last game.

# 49 nolan273 @ 02/10/10 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Well now I feel special that I bought their last game.
Collector's Item, bro!

# 50 BaylorBearBryant @ 02/10/10 11:44 PM
The crappy thing is, there's no way to edit a player's class so it'll be near impossible to update rosters next season.

# 51 DJ @ 02/10/10 11:49 PM
Sad day.

And to think, we were all buzzing about how revolutionary the game's presentation was when the preview vids were released. Now a few months later the game is toast.

I'm holding out hope for a bi-annual release.

Oh, and to say that college b-ball is only relevant for 3 weeks out of the year isn't a true fact. Why would ESPN pay so much to broadcast so many regular season games then? The "major" conferences have year-round support and college hoops is a huge deal in places like Syracuse, Louisville, Lexington, Chapel Hill, Durham etc. so there is definitely a market for a game.

Why EA expects it to sell as well as an NBA title is another question. I personally feel like their sales projections were too high for this title.

Since no patch is coming, only way I'll pick this game up is when it hits the $14.99/under bin @ GameStop or on eBay. Otherwise, I'll be sticking with 2K8.

# 52 stoncold32 @ 02/10/10 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonannogiovanni
More powerful consoles, less sports games. Is this trend going to continue in the future?
What's funny is if these people would make BETTER games, they'd sell.

Stop giving us just "a dab will do until next year"

Now that people arent just wasting money these days, this method is not profitable.

Again, look at COD series, GTA, etc. They make quality games, and guess what.....THEY SELL.

# 53 ehh @ 02/10/10 11:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezee12
So they gave up NCAA Basketball for NBA Jam??? Bad move in my opinion...
The funny thing is that EA bounces around so quickly from idea to idea that I'd say it's a coin flip that NBA Jam will flop, EA will cancel it and and NCAA '12 will be made. EA is such a disaster when it comes to being patient.

# 54 Jukeman @ 02/11/10 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
The funny thing is that EA bounces around so quickly from idea to idea that I'd say it's a coin flip that NBA Jam will flop, EA will cancel it and and NCAA '12 will be made. EA is such a disaster when it comes to being patient.
or they will bring back NBA Streets...

# 55 geezmeister @ 02/11/10 12:19 AM
boooooooooooooo! I gotta have my Ncaa basketball fix. Guess thats just longer ill play college football. That is if it dosent suck this year

# 56 stoncold32 @ 02/11/10 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
This is the problem with NCAA football.

# 57 jdr4693 @ 02/11/10 01:38 AM
I hope ncaa football is the next to get dropped by ea sports

# 58 noshun @ 02/11/10 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr4693
Live is next to go if sales dont increase.

# 59 jsg @ 02/11/10 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdmo9999
I have a feeling there will be 1 more thing to download for this game. Whether it be a patch, a bracket pack, or whatever, I have a feeling that they won't completely leave this game
how can you say this when the ncaa basketball team doesnt exist anymore?

# 60 PVarck31 @ 02/11/10 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr4693
Why the heck would you hope that? The game my not be great, but isn't it better to hope they make a better game, than make no game at all? I for one want my college football.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.