Home
NCAA Basketball 11 News Post

After all the rumors, it has become official.

Source: Gameinformer - EA Sports Confirms NCAA Basketball Benching

Quote:
"Looking over the list of list of Electronic Arts titles planned for release during the next fiscal year, one sports franchise is notably absent. Today EA Sports senior director of communications David Tinson confirmed that NCAA Basketball has fouled out of the lineup. “We do not have an NCAA Basketball game in development at this time, and we’re currently reviewing the future of our NCAA Basketball business," he said. "This was a difficult decision, but we remain a committed partner to the NCAA and its member institutions.”

Tinson also told Game Informer that the move to shut down NCAA will not result in another round of layoffs. Instead, the development team has been integrated into other projects. EA Canada still has two basketball games in development, with NBA Live and the recently announced resurrection of NBA Jam."

NCAA Basketball 11 screenshot gallery - Click to view NCAA Basketball 11 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NCAA Basketball 11Hype Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
Member Comments
# 61 noshun @ 02/11/10 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
Why the heck would you hope that? The game my not be great, but isn't it better to hope they make a better game, than make no game at all? I for one want my college football.
It's so the exclusive license becomes worthless, thus hoping (the license gets dropped)allowing more than 1 company to produce NCAA football games.

# 62 PVarck31 @ 02/11/10 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun
It's so the exclusive license becomes worthless, thus hoping (the license gets dropped)allowing more than 1 company to produce NCAA football games.
The license ends after NCAA 11 anyway. There is no way in hell EA will shell out the cash to renew it.

# 63 yokiisthename @ 02/11/10 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
seriously dude, it does not make a difference who has the License, no one will make a College hoops game for the foreseeable future. Remember when 2k decided that a College basketball game was not profitable enough so they canned their game, it was only then EA decided to buy the license which is not a shock.

If 2k and EA do not create a College hoops game, then no one will.
Yeah 2K canned their CHOOPS because its not selling well, but we cant take out the fact that it has competition from EA back then. Now that they dont, they might reconsider. COnsidering that NBA2K is selling way, way more than Live. They might incorporate it once more.

It's up to 2K now, they can probably buy the license from EA.

Sad though, I like EA's NCAA BBALL.

# 64 knighthawksfan @ 02/11/10 06:59 AM
WOw I can't believe that they are cancelling this game. I am pissed.

# 65 JGlenn FTW @ 02/11/10 08:14 AM
It's not surprising that this is getting cancelled, it doesn't sell well at all.

# 66 ScottGer76 @ 02/11/10 09:42 AM
CHoops 2k8 is still the better game. Perhaps that is why they couldn't shift this product. People were still enjoying a 2 year old game compared to this inferior product. 2010 has not been a good year for EA sports titles.

# 67 Skyliner80 @ 02/11/10 09:59 AM
I'm not a big college hoops fan but the thing I find really disappointing about this cancellation is the fact that a sports game finally used more than one presentation overlay and we’re not gonna see how well it was implemented. I think new sports game, specifically Football games, should be looking into…even though it might be fiscally consuming. It was a great idea that I think could have rooted into other ideas such as creating your own overlay or whether to make it look like a 70s or 80s type presentation.

# 68 boomhauertjs @ 02/11/10 10:09 AM
The problem is that the leagues/NCAA charge so much for the licenses that it doesn't make the games profitable. Remember the days when we had like 4 or 5 baseball games for each system? I assume that the licensing fees were much lower then. Hopefully, it's a cycle and we'll eventually see more games released for more systems.

# 69 MrOctober430 @ 02/11/10 10:12 AM
It's about time. The franchise hasn't gone anywhere in 4 years.

# 70 Skyboxer @ 02/11/10 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
I'm sure 2k and EA wouldn't have abruptly bailed on franchises that took lots of money and effort to create if getting a better deal on the NCAA licensing fees was as simple as that. EA didn't even have to pay a premium for an exclusive license when 2k bowed out.

NASCAR went through the same thing with EA dropping them, and no one really jumping at the chance to get it, apart from the apparent limited implementation in GT5.

The sales just aren't there to justify a stand alone game that takes money and resources that could be used for other projects.
My problem with them is they take the license and because of years of getting away with it..they release crap year after year with no repercussions. Finally sales take a hit and they bail....

Papyrus' NASCAR killed EA's efforts.. so then EA gets the exclusive. They don't advance the sport AT ALL and now they bail when people finally get tired of the POS they released. EA never did release a Nascar game that topped Papyrus'....

Don't get me started on thier half a$$ effort at NCAA Basketball...

# 71 KG @ 02/11/10 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
The college basketball games werent profitable because they werent that good. College Hoops 2k8 wasnt bad but it was dealing with competition from EA which diminished sales. You would think with 1 college bball game that it could gain the sales from former 2k8 gamers but EA's college basketball games have been so piss poor that people refuse to make the jump and instead just update the rosters.

I wish 2k could and would now take another stab at college basketball. Just take the NBA 2k10 engine, tweak it a little to fit the college game and i think the game would sell well. If the game is good, people will buy it. When its a quality game, it will get the press and coverage and hype it deserves which will then develop more interest and then the sales will come.

But EA's games have sucked, haven't gotten great reviews so even if someone was curious, just reading reviews and opinions on the game would turn them away because of the negativity.

The only thing EA has is Madden, College Football, NHL & Fifa. And the only reason Madden & College football do the numbers they do is the popularity of football and the fact that they are the only ones making football games with authenticity because of the license. Its not because those games are really that great. And i used to be a huge EA supporter but now the only EA game i get is NCAA Football because i love college football so much. Well i shouldnt say that because EA has fooled me on the Madden hype the past 3 years and i was stupid enough to buy them, play them for 2 weeks, realize how bad they sucked and then sold them back. But not happening this year.

The problem is EA has done a terrible job adapting to the Next Gen systems with their football, basketball & baseball games while other companies have done well utilizing the next gen systems but dont have the licenses that EA does. 2k had good physics and gameplay with All Pro Football but didnt have the NFL. They cant do a college game either. Their basketball game is the best. Baseball theyve struggled but Sony has taken over that with The Show. EA has a slight edge with NHL and of course Fifa is great.

But EA is destroying franchise after franchise.
That's not true. They don't sell well because most people aren't going to buy 2 basketball games a year from the same company. Sure diehard fans like us will, especially when you can export college kids to the pro's but the majority of people will buy the NBA game with authentic players. Getting released before doesn't hurt too unless you're a flagship product like Madden.

# 72 jWILL253 @ 02/11/10 01:24 PM
Another reason why sports games don't sell: enormous butt-kissing.

The whole "2K Sports (really, more credit should be given to Visual Concepts than 2K) vs. EA Sports" thing is a real turn off. 2K fans seem to be blind to bad 2K Sports games:

MLB 2K9 (and possibly 2K10)
All-Pro Football 2K8 (it only resembles 2K5 in it's animations. Other than that, it's nothing more than horrid DB AI, crappy pursuit angles, and the ratings system left a lot to be desired)
NHL 2K10

We all know EA has the exclusive liscences, but so does 2K. And, I see the exact same patterns with 2K Sports as well as EA Sports.

In other words, liscence consolidation is bad for sports gaming. No matter which developer the liscence is under...

# 73 a walrus @ 02/11/10 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgx2thez
That's not true. They don't sell well because most people aren't going to buy 2 basketball games a year from the same company. Sure diehard fans like us will, especially when you can export college kids to the pro's but the majority of people will buy the NBA game with authentic players. Getting released before doesn't hurt too unless you're a flagship product like Madden.

your sig is hilarious i have every season.I still chuckle about indiana bob, me tommy & the skybox.jermome, the karate teacher.i will never forgive living single.

# 74 ehh @ 02/11/10 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
thats not true, plenty of people buy NCAA Football and still buy Madden.
Yeah, because college football is INSANELY more popular than college basketball in this country.

# 75 Pared @ 02/11/10 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusefan
Remember when 2k decided that a College basketball game was not profitable enough so they canned their game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNHL
2k bailed on NCAA Basketball because its not profitable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokiisthename
Yeah 2K canned their CHOOPS because its not selling well,
Ugh. It has been repeated many times here; This isn't the case at all. CHoops would still be around today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
Lets rephrase it...

2k abandon Choops because it wasnt profitable with the new high price the NCAA put on the license...

50% sure thats what happen..
You can make that 100%.

# 76 GSW @ 02/11/10 04:51 PM
I hope the nex, next-gen consoles support higher disc usuage ... maybe they can combine two games on one disc...so your getting two games (somewhat) on one disc... with fully intergrated features.

NBA/NCAA 2k12

"play with and draft your superstar of the future!" ... seamless integration between both games.

could work... (probably not)

# 77 HiTEqMETHOD @ 02/11/10 05:39 PM
even though this could potentially tarnish the idea for companies to develop future college basketball games I'm still glad it happened. it'll serve as a wake up call for EA (doubt they'll make a good game if they try again though) or it could open up the door for another company to make one in the next 2-3 years.

# 78 Evan_OS @ 02/11/10 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
or they will bring back NBA Streets...
Wow I remember that game lol.

If EA hadn't bought the NCAA License 2K would be able to make a profit since they would be the only people making College Basketball games, Basically what EA is doing with Madden. People buy it becuase it's the only NFL game out there. But its not possible for 2K Sports to make a C-hoops game becuase of the License, unless EA canceled it.

# 79 spit_bubble @ 02/11/10 07:24 PM
I only played the 2010 demo, but was impressed by it enough to say that this is a shame.

Downloadable tourney only game?

I mean, surely they can let it simmer on the back burner rather than take it off the stove all together.

# 80 BenGerman @ 02/11/10 08:15 PM
Bad day for sports gaming.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.