Athletics---23rd, 17th, 8th, 30th
Tigers-----24th, 14th, 14th, 29th
Padres-----25th, 30th, 18th, 26th
Marlins----26th, 29th, 30th, 21st
Royals-----27th, 15th, 20th, 27th
Nationals--28th, 18th, 26th, 23rd
Pirates----29th, 20th, 27th, 25th
Indians----30th, 25th, 28th, 28th

These are some of my favorite threads every year because we all get to debate on why so and so is rated this and that. It's all arbitrary and opinions when you think about it though (which is why I enjoy these threads so much), but for the sake of understanding I'm game lets dig a little deeper.

The Cardinals batting being ranked 20th in the game, but before I talk about their rating let me shed some light on how the game determines this.

1. It's an avg. of your starters and your bench and that's for your starting pitching and lineup. Kolbe gave me a number around 60% to 40% with your starters making up 60% of that rating.

2. Player ratings are not done by human hands its all done by a program that looks at the players past three years with the most recent year weighing in the highest.

Now that we have that out the way back to the Cardinals and this 20th batting ranking which made me scratch my head a little when I first saw it. As most of you and I'm guilty of this myself I think Pujols and Holliday that has to at least make them better than 20th. Not so fast

The Mets are ranked 15th a good 5 spots ahead of them I've uploaded some images to help make this easier.

Image #1

Image #2

If you notice the Cardinals bench is relatively weak compared to the Mets. This is a very important factor in the Cardinals current 20th batting rating. For the sake of science I swaped F.Tatis for S.Robinson on these two teams and their batting rankings changed. This one player swap propelled the Cardinals to 13th overall in batting and dropped the Mets to 21st in batting. What you have to remember is your starting lineup is only half of the story (about 60% give or take) you have to take into consideration your bench and your bullpen for pitching. Hope this helps.

Discuss.

MLB '10: The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB '10: The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB '10: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 66 - View All
MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 161 rckabillyRaider @ 02/19/10 12:39 AM
Dodgers pitching is 2nd??? Hmmmm. Dont know how we got that, since we don't even have a legit ace. I'll take it though!

# 162 Jason_19 @ 02/19/10 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
Dodgers pitching is 2nd??? Hmmmm. Dont know how we got that, since we don't even have a legit ace.
Clayton Kershaw has the potential to be one of the top 3 or 4 pitchers in baseball this season. Add to that the fact that he's dominated in his first 2 seasons and I would easily consider him an "ace".

# 163 Jason_19 @ 02/19/10 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftheavy
D Aardsma 2.52 ERA 38 saves
S White 2.80 ERA 64.1 innings
M Lowe 3.26 ERA 80 innings

Those 3 alone = a solid bullpen...the "other starters"
R Rowland-Smith 3.74 ERA
I Snell 4.20 ERA
D Fister 4.13 ERA

The Mariners were 6th in the Major Leagues with a 3.87 ERA and was 4th in the Majors with a .247 BAA...there are your facts.
Add Josh Fields to the pullpen and I would consider their late inning relievers the best in baseball.

# 164 BatsareBugs @ 02/19/10 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
Dodgers pitching is 2nd??? Hmmmm. Dont know how we got that, since we don't even have a legit ace. I'll take it though!
No legit ace, but off the top of my head I know that I could expect the following OVRs for the Dodgers probably pitching staff.

CL Jonathan Broxton A
SP Clayton Kershaw A-
SP Chad Billingsley A-
RP George Sherrill B+ (or A-)
SP Hiroki Kuroda B+
RP Hong-Chih Kuo B+
RP Ramon Troncoso B+
RP Ronnie Belisario B+
SP Vicente Padilla B
SP Jeff Weaver B
RP James McDonald B-
P I don't know who, but most likely will be a C+ at worst or B at most.

*You can interchange McDonald and Weaver as SP/RP.
**Eric Stults... is he going to have a spot in the rotation?

Obviously like you said, no ace, but Broxton IMO will be the best rated pitcher on the staff, followed by Kershaw and Billingsley. While the Dodgers have no clear-cut ace, i have to admit looking through their bullpen and the rest of their rotation, it's hard to see anyone rated lower than a B or B-, with many guys I think being in the B+ range overall (and maybe A-).

# 165 ParisB @ 02/19/10 01:03 AM
Quote:

R Rowland-Smith 3.74 ERA
I Snell 4.20 ERA
D Fister 4.13 ERA

The Mariners were 6th in the Major Leagues with a 3.87 ERA and was 4th in the Majors with a .247 BAA...there are your facts.
their adjusted numbers outside of safeco field say otherwise....besides, you need more than one fluke season to establish yourself before making bold proclamations such as "best in baseball".....bullpens fluctuate year to year. Teams scout, figure guys out etc.

Seattle is a mediocre team, guys....don't get your hopes up too much.

# 166 Knight165 @ 02/19/10 01:05 AM
Quote:

R Rowland-Smith 3.74 ERA
I Snell 4.20 ERA
D Fister 4.13 ERA

Two years ago... 25th in ERA and 27th in WHIP
Three years back...22nd and 25th...
You guys are forgetting...it's a 3 year weighted average.

M.K.
Knight165

# 167 BatsareBugs @ 02/19/10 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Two years ago... 25th in ERA and 27th in WHIP
Three years back...22nd and 25th...
You guys are forgetting...it's a 3 year weighted average.

M.K.
Knight165
Is it really for team considerations? I thought it was only for individual players ratings, then those ratings are taken into consideration when calculating the team ratings, which then are used to rank the teams. I would think that team stats the past three years have no bearing on the offense, defense, or pitching ratings of the team, but the past three years for individuals instead.

# 168 Knight165 @ 02/19/10 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag3vsW0rld
Is it really for team considerations? I thought it was only for individual players ratings, then those ratings are taken into consideration when calculating the team ratings, which then are used to rank the teams. I would think that team stats the past three years have no bearing on the offense, defense, or pitching ratings of the team, but the past three years for individuals instead.
You're right....sorry...

M.K.
Knight165

# 169 Hitman3315 @ 02/19/10 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag3vsW0rld
No legit ace, but off the top of my head I know that I could expect the following OVRs for the Dodgers probably pitching staff.

CL Jonathan Broxton A
SP Clayton Kershaw A-
SP Chad Billingsley A-
RP George Sherrill B+ (or A-)
SP Hiroki Kuroda B+
RP Hong-Chih Kuo B+
RP Ramon Troncoso B+
RP Ronnie Belisario B+
SP Vicente Padilla B
SP Jeff Weaver B
RP James McDonald B-
P I don't know who, but most likely will be a C+ at worst or B at most.

*You can interchange McDonald and Weaver as SP/RP.
**Eric Stults... is he going to have a spot in the rotation?

Obviously like you said, no ace, but Broxton IMO will be the best rated pitcher on the staff, followed by Kershaw and Billingsley. While the Dodgers have no clear-cut ace, i have to admit looking through their bullpen and the rest of their rotation, it's hard to see anyone rated lower than a B or B-, with many guys I think being in the B+ range overall (and maybe A-).
Nice rundown. I too doubted this ranking at first, but the bullpen is really superb.

I still think there have to be some pitching staffs in the majors that are better top to bottom, and perhaps starting pitching should be weighted more (if it isn't already). Still... since pitching has been the #1 concern for many Dodger fans this season since Ned didn't make as big of a splash as many people hoped (Padilla is a good add, but a lot of people wanted more), this makes me feel a little better.

Man... I'm pumped for pitchers & catchers reporting, pumped for the season, and totally jacked up for The Show!

# 170 Mercury53 @ 02/19/10 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstikealot
The M's have probably the best 1,2 punch in baseball and their ranked 19th in pitching? LOL
I would have to agree here. People seem to be vastly underrating Rowland-Smith and Ian Snell has outstanding stuff just an inability to stay focused. I won't say it is top ten, but 13th or so sounds better then 19th.

# 171 Jason_19 @ 02/19/10 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
besides, you need more than one fluke season to establish yourself before making bold proclamations such as "best in baseball"
I don't need more than one season before saying things like that. When it comes to scouting players and making projections, I'm hardly ever more than slightly off. In this case, I wasn't making a projection. As far as projected stats and performance goes, I'm not fully confident in saying that they will statistically be the best in baseball. As far as potential and "stuff" goes, I am very confident in what I said. I was simply saying that I think that Lowe, White, Fields and Aardsma would comprise what I would consider to be the best late inning relievers in baseball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
Seattle is a mediocre team
I couldn't agree more.

# 172 NYJAllTheWay @ 02/19/10 01:32 AM
Mets second in defense? As a Met fan, I must say:
Da fuk?

And Sox not #1 in pitching?!?!?

# 173 soxnut1018 @ 02/19/10 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_19
I don't need more than one season before saying things like that. When it comes to scouting players and making projections, I'm hardly ever more than slightly off. In this case, I wasn't making a projection. As far as projected stats and performance goes, I'm not fully confident in saying that they will statistically be the best in baseball. As far as potential and "stuff" goes, I am very confident in what I said. I was simply saying that I think that Lowe, White, Fields and Aardsma would comprise what I would consider to be the best late inning relievers in baseball.

I couldn't agree more.
I remember when Aardsma was on the White Sox and he was downright awful. What has changed to make you confident that last year wasn't simply a fluke?

# 174 Knight165 @ 02/19/10 01:43 AM
Quote:
Players improve...new pitching coach arrives...new manager arrives...Carlos Silva had a 6.46 ERA, Batista 5.67 ERA, and Washburn had a 4.67 ERA in 2008...take them away and the numbers improve.

With that being said...it should not be based off of a weighted 3 year average...
The TEAM ratings aren't...per se...but in the situation Russ showed...moving Tatis onto the Cards....and that changing their position....means that each individual is a factor...and THEIR overall is a 3 year weighted average.....so it does come into effect.
I guess you can't look at those ratings as a per year/last year rating......but a possible projected rating.

M.K.
Knight165

# 175 Focused One @ 02/19/10 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Not really. I thought that too at first. But then I found out it is based on 3 years, with last year being more of the percentage. And you have to take in the whole pitching staff. So it it does work our about right. If they do what they did last year then I would think they would more in the 10 or higher next year. But I think Sanchez is going to have a break out year in real life, so that will help.
Sorry, I didn't realise that it was based on a 3 year average, but why would Sony do that? Teams can completely change in one off season, and when it comes to pitching, Zito and Cain the only pitchers on the Giants roster that have been there long enough to even produce a realistic 3 year average... Has it always been like this?

# 176 Jason_19 @ 02/19/10 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018
I remember when Aardsma was on the White Sox and he was downright awful. What has changed to make you confident that last year wasn't simply a fluke?
Nothing has changed. Aardsma was always meant to be a closer. He has been blessed with an unbelievable amount of talent. With the White Sox, he only pitched in 25 games (32.1 innings). You can't really judge a player, especially someone who is only in their second year and who has just went from the N.L. to the A.L. (to an across town team, on top of that), based on a small amount of playing time. The season before that, in his first full season, he progressed greatly as the season went on. In 2008, with the Red Sox, he was mismanaged. In 2009, with the Mariners, he was finally given the chance to pitch in the manner that best suits him, his perceived mentality and his skill set. The results of this were exactly what I always expected to see from him as a closer.

# 177 Knight165 @ 02/19/10 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused One
Sorry, I didn't realise that it was based on a 3 year average, but why would Sony do that? Teams can completely change in one off season, and when it comes to pitching, Zito and Cain the only pitchers on the Giants roster that have been there long enough to even produce a realistic 3 year average... Has it always been like this?
Yes.
It's weighted...50-25-25....last year...two years ago...three years ago.
The individual ratings were always based that way.

M.K.
Knight165

# 178 BatsareBugs @ 02/19/10 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I wrote it wrong. It was meant say 3 years of rating with those guys are going to help your team ratings.
Just one more question regarding that then. Was that in response to my Padres Overall/Offense/Defense/Pitching post? If it is, then I'd have to say that Peavy and Hoffy's ratings no longer affect the Padres team ratings since those players are no longer on the roster. Their three-years ratings average are included on the White Sox and Brewers, respectively, even though they played for the Padres within those three years.

If it wasn't in response to my post, then mea culpa.

# 179 xNobleEaglex @ 02/19/10 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused One
I don't think Sony takes the team stats over 3 years. I believe it's a 3 year weighted average for each individual player. Then the individuals make up the team score. Hence the reason when he swapped the bench player from the Cardinals with Tatis from the Mets, both teams changed rankings because Tatis was rated higher than the STL CF bench player.

# 180 SoMiss2000 @ 02/19/10 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
Hmm... Seems like the ratings were based off of last year. I can't see the Angles being so high and the Mariners being so low in the AL West. I also don't see how Texas' batting is 4th when it should be lower.

The good thing about The Show though is that any team can win on any given day.
offensively, Angels only lost Figgins and Vlad. They have a solid offense and nice rotation. I'm surprised they're ranked so low defensively.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.