Home
NBA Elite 11 News Post

According to Pastapadre, via OXM, NBA Live will be renamed NBA Elite.

Quote:
"The NBA Live name is no more. This year’s NBA title from EA Sports will be called NBA Elite 11. According to OXM (via drules2) the game will be heavy on analog controls with Skate and Fight Night the two titles garnering comparisons in that regard. I’m hoping to get some additional details soon."

Magazine image scan here.

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Hassan Darkside @ 05/27/10 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jano
I hate when guys say stuff like this, it bothers the hell out of me. I'm sure the guy wants to improve the game but there are some things you need to just not say.

This is not a good thing in any real bball fan's mind b/c they know that kind of stuff doesn't happen, especially in the middle of a real game.
I was about to say the same thing. Everything in basketball is not always skill, and half court shots is one of those things that leans more toward luck than skill. The way it sounds, with enough practice someone could come down and hit them with no problem.

If anything, I'm not sure how that shooting meter works completely, but that window should decrease the further away from the basket you get.

# 62 Jano @ 05/27/10 10:23 AM
Yes I agree Ruff if the meter decreases the farther away you are then I can kind of live with it. But if it literally is all skill based like he says I'm going to have a problem.

Thank god the rest of the previous Live team is there so they may be able to keep things in line.

# 63 rockchisler @ 05/27/10 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazza619
I wonder if players who fade back or don't shoot traditionally will have to be pushed back with the body stick too?

I could see confusion coming though between a shot and a dribble move, unless there is a modifier to make it definitely a shot/move
Thinking the same thing....

# 64 dexvex @ 05/27/10 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loadleft
^ I think you missed his point. I took what he was saying as traditionally EA has come out with these game breaking features but allowed something else to fall by the wayside, so he's like: UH-OH! Why not just fix what was a solid foundation instead of starting down a new path.

To some degree I agree with that sentiment. I really have mixed feelings about this new thing. I elaborated a lot more in the Physics thread but for the most part I am afraid this could be a repeat of what happened when they first came out w/freestyle dribbling. Either way being that no one has seen the game it's really not possible to complain about it only to respond to the info we have so far.
No i get his point but my point is that all we know of this "new direction" is real time physics and right stick shooting which aside from the physics is nothing new at all so who is to say that they aren't building on the foundation. People just need to wait and stop with the doom and gloom until we get something more concrete.

# 65 Pared @ 05/27/10 11:26 AM
Nothing is being taken away. They are expanding.

I'm so sick of the overreaction here on the boards. Just WAIT. It's not that hard.

# 66 dexvex @ 05/27/10 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfc redheat
I'm so sick of this make us work crap. If I want to really go play basketball I will go play basketball. The main reason why I prefer Live over 2k is the control set up and not using a shot stick!!!!

Please do not take a way the dribble moves from the right stick!!!!!!!!! We dont want the comp to tell us what moves to make when dribbling.
dribbling moves are on the stick..............

# 67 loadleft @ 05/27/10 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Nothing is being taken away. They are expanding.

I'm so sick of the overreaction here on the boards. Just WAIT. It's not that hard.
LOL, If we just waited then what would we talk about on the boards? (kidding) Seriously, I am hoping that by users expressing their fears and concerns the devs might read them and keep them in mind while they still have an opportunity to do so without a patch. If enough users express the desire to maintain the button shooting option maybe that's something the devs will do when they originally hadn't planned to. I don't see anyone exclaiming the sky is falling just a concern for a game that obviously they like and don't want to see it ruined. It's kinda too late to talk about it after the fact, isn't it?

# 68 blues rocker @ 05/27/10 11:42 AM
so you use the right stick for both dribbling and shooting? i can see that being a huge problem..like you might go to do a dribbling move and your guy shoots instead. I also seems like they are complicating the dribbling moves (making you move the right stick in a circle to do a behind the back, etc.)...i can see this type of system being very unresponsive and hard to control...i think there will be a lot of situations where you will be moving the stick and getting the wrong dribbling move or you have to do a motion 3 or 4 times before it actually does what you want. i liked Live 10's easy dribbling stystem where you just had to flick the stick in a certain direction to do a spin move or whatever...it was quick and easy...this new system seems like it could be cumbersome and unnecessarily complicated...sounds like a cheap gimmick that doesn't actually improve the game, but instead complicates the controls when they didn't need to be made more complicated.

I like the idea of using the right stick for shot blocking and stealing...but in regards to the dribbling, it was already excellent the way it was...this seems like it could be a step forward in some areas but a step back in others..

# 69 rockchisler @ 05/27/10 12:29 PM
I understand the fears But lets wait till E3 then lets make our concerns known. People are panicking over some photos and little info...Its like Jr. High in here with some people...

# 70 clivo1050 @ 05/27/10 12:39 PM
i'm actually really excited over what i've seen so far. It looks like EA is really giving Elite a push this year. It looks as if they've increased the production and marketing budgets to make a run at 2k. This means more features and focus on gameplay.

The new physics and control systems could differentiate this game from 2k11. I can't wait to see it in motion. If Live maintains a sim focus, this could be epic.

# 71 HoosierDaddy @ 05/27/10 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchisler
I understand the fears But lets wait till E3 then lets make our concerns known. People are panicking over some photos and little info...Its like Jr. High in here with some people...
This.

# 72 Da_Czar @ 05/27/10 01:57 PM
Basketball is NOT hockey, or Soccer ! its Basketball.

# 73 loadleft @ 05/27/10 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
This.
Not trying to pick a fight, but I think the reactions to other's reactions is the juvenile part. Again it's a discussion board so when news breaks people discuss it, and their feelings based on the info they have at the moment. Imagine if the news broke and everyone just waited to see the end results. The thread would be full of post that just said: "hmmm" Maybe if I understood the harm it causes I could see the point of saying nothing until all info is out. As it stands the worst I can see happening is that I am found to be wrong, I do that at least once a day anyway so one more won't hurt.

As to the subject of the thread, I want to be excited in a positive way like most people but EA's track record brings me fear. As recently as Live 10 I was excited about a new direction then from the patches, team members leaving, and now this new direction I've become a bit jaded. I can see how much potential a control system like this has but I also can see the potential for excess complexity.

With Live 10 being touted as the new direction and then abandoned and this being the new direction I really don't know what to think.

# 74 Pared @ 05/27/10 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by loadleft
Not trying to pick a fight, but I think the reactions to other's reactions is the juvenile part. Again it's a discussion board so when news breaks people discuss it, and their feelings based on the info they have at the moment. Imagine if the news broke and everyone just waited to see the end results. The thread would be full of post that just said: "hmmm" Maybe if I understood the harm it causes I could see the point of saying nothing until all info is out. As it stands the worst I can see happening is that I am found to be wrong, I do that at least once a day anyway so one more won't hurt.
The thing is it's not about being right or wrong.

Ever seen a poll where your possible answers were 1) Like 2) Dislike 3) Need more information?

Same thing here. You need more information. People HATED the ideas MVP brought to the table. Same for FN. Just hold off until you know more.

But it's the internet, and everyone overreacts, whether it be here, during a newly released game in an impressions thread or when discussing anything else.

There's not enough to discuss. People want to freak out over any little bit of news and it's not a level headed response.

There's really nothing anyone can do but wait and see. You overreact and you look really bad later on.

But for OS, it's par for the course.

# 75 rockchisler @ 05/27/10 03:40 PM
Quote:

Ever seen a poll where your possible answers were 1) Like 2) Dislike 3) Need more information?

Same thing here. You need more information. People HATED the ideas MVP brought to the table. Same for FN. Just hold off until you know more.

But it's the internet, and everyone overreacts, whether it be here, during a newly released game in an impressions thread or when discussing anything else.

There's not enough to discuss. People want to freak out over any little bit of news and it's not a level headed response.

There's really nothing anyone can do but wait and see. You overreact and you look really bad later on.

THISTHISTHISTHIS...... Its the fear of the unknown, Everybody needs to stop, relax, take a deep breath, gather info as it comes out, then make a educated comment. Right now its like Real Housewives of Operation Sports...DRAMA FILLED..... "I hate the name, The games gonna suck, Its arcadEy, The skys falling...WE..ARE..GOING..TOO...DIE...

# 76 loadleft @ 05/27/10 04:10 PM
Quote:

Hmmm... (LOL)

Pared I am only trippin cause I feel like I could with out you taking it the wrong way. I will leave the subject with this though: What are we supposed to say on a discussion board when news is released if we don't discuss our impressions of the news? I have seen a few say they hated the idea, but for the most part those with negative impressions expressed it more as a thing of being worried about the direction but we'll see. I don't know if there is anything else that can be said.

# 77 Pared @ 05/27/10 04:38 PM
I think you're taking my comments as if they are directed at you personally. I could be wrong, but they are directed at the strong reactions coming from TWO small pieces of the puzzle being revealed - name change and analog focus.

We don't even have confirmation of those.

Instead of jumping in the fray with new users, the long time members should let them know that immediate "sky is falling" responses get us nowhere and are simply counter productive.

Again, there's not much more I can offer at this time aside from wait and see. If people have played the game and still hate it, there are no options, etc. then I can understand. Heck, remember all those proclaiming last year's title would un-seat 2k's game as "best basketball game to be released" once they saw what Mike Wang was bringing to the table? Look how that turned out - where are they now?

Just take a deep breath fellas... the release is a long ways away. I'm sure there will be plenty of time to voice concerns but writing off the series already? C'mon. People have stomached sub-par games in the past and all it takes is the word "elite" being thrown out to go crazy.

I for one, HATE the new name. But it's all about the game...

# 78 stlstudios189 @ 05/27/10 04:57 PM
the name change doesn't bother me at all but the analog controls are going to be hit or miss.

# 79 ScoobySnax @ 05/27/10 05:36 PM
As far as analog controls, if it's a tighter, more fluid version of isomotion, then I'm happy with that.

# 80 loadleft @ 05/27/10 09:54 PM
Quote:
I think you're taking my comments as if they are directed at you personally. I could be wrong, but they are directed at the strong reactions coming from TWO small pieces of the puzzle being revealed - name change and analog focus.

We don't even have confirmation of those.

Instead of jumping in the fray with new users, the long time members should let them know that immediate "sky is falling" responses get us nowhere and are simply counter productive.

Again, there's not much more I can offer at this time aside from wait and see. If people have played the game and still hate it, there are no options, etc. then I can understand. Heck, remember all those proclaiming last year's title would un-seat 2k's game as "best basketball game to be released" once they saw what Mike Wang was bringing to the table? Look how that turned out - where are they now?

Just take a deep breath fellas... the release is a long ways away. I'm sure there will be plenty of time to voice concerns but writing off the series already? C'mon. People have stomached sub-par games in the past and all it takes is the word "elite" being thrown out to go crazy.

I for one, HATE the new name. But it's all about the game...
I can't disagree with most of that. I was defending the position of the more moderate but extremely concerned viewpoint. Kinda where Czar is. I definitely don't plan on giving up on the game before I try it and I hope others will at least rent it before writing it off.

For the record I was and still am one of those who thought Live 10 would be better than 2K. I still do think that out of the box it is. Had the patches added a post-up button and slightly more physical defense I would hold that opinion of the patched version. On the other hand it is these very patches along w/EA's track record that scares me to death when they start talking new direction. You can try to be reasonable all you want but I know all, or at least most, of us had to go uh-oh at least a little bit when this stuff started flowing. I was reasonable last year this year I am nervous. Basketball is my favorite sport, I still cry a little when I see MJ highlights. If I lose Live to the shot stick I got nothing in videogame sports left.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.