Home
NHL 11 News Post

IGN has posted their NHL 11 impressions.

Quote:
"In order to combat all of this crazy checking action, the developers from EA's Vancouver studio have given players a new quick deke ability. The mechanics are extraordinarily easy. All you have to do is hold the left shoulder button and flick the right analog stick to the right or left and your guy will pull off a deke. Of course, as soon as I successfully pulled off my first deke, I tried to take a wrist shot and wound up snapping my stick. It was a little disgruntling, but it was still pretty damn cool.

The final addition to NHL 11 to make its way into EA Sports' E3 demo was user-controlled celebrations. By using both the face buttons and triggers, players can access a large library of goal celebrations. The one I saw was essentially a guy sliding face-first down on the ice, hands outstretched. I was told there were plenty more to be had, but that's all I saw in my short demo at E3."

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Mikey88 @ 06/16/10 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
User Controled Goal celebrations has me completely turned off now.

If I ever saw a guy slide head first, superman style, as a celebration ... I would personally kick his teeth in.
lol cmon.. its just celebrations man. personally, i wouldn't mind pulling off an Avery "bench press" or a Kane "Heart-breaker" online just to rub it in a little bit lol

# 2 Lightbringer719 @ 06/16/10 10:07 AM
The celebrations might be over-the-top, but it's a better alternative than seeing the same 5-6 celebrations over and over again.

# 3 Flyermania @ 06/16/10 10:16 AM
Over-the-top celebrations have no place in a "sim" game IMO. Hopefully this type of "addition" didn't take time away from the attention the CPU AI drastically needs.

# 4 Lightbringer719 @ 06/16/10 10:20 AM
A welcome solution would be an option to skip the celebrations by pressing a button, or have a toggle in the settings that turns off custom celebrations.

# 5 SwinginAs12 @ 06/16/10 10:29 AM
Set to launch on SEPTEMBER 14th!? what the..

# 6 Victory23 @ 06/16/10 11:01 AM
I imagine it will be like FIFA, where you have the option to skip the celebration by, A, running to your teammates, or B, pressing LB + RB to trigger the usual generic celebration.

# 7 Lightbringer719 @ 06/16/10 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalsanto0026
I can't believe people requested user controlled goal celebrations.

How is seeing the same 5 - 6 goal celebrations over and over again seen as an issue?

The things some people focus on.

Hopefully there's an option to turn off this gimmicky feature.
I've played a lot of EA's NHL games, and seeing a guy stop in place after scoring on a breakaway to just do a double fist pump, or a guy spinning and pointing to no one kinda got old.

# 8 plaidchuck @ 06/16/10 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
Over-the-top celebrations have no place in a "sim" game IMO. Hopefully this type of "addition" didn't take time away from the attention the CPU AI drastically needs.
I'm just gonna be very disappointed if all this stuff has been added and the AI is the same as NHL10. Which might be the case, as they haven't mentioned anything regarding AI/goalie improvements. And you know how EA typically is: if they don't hype it or mention it, it usually means nothing has been done.

# 9 lunch pale gang @ 06/16/10 11:58 AM
Hopefully, one of the user controlled celebrations will be all the players on the scoring team celebrating together.

# 10 kazo0 @ 06/16/10 12:27 PM
I really doubt that the animators who worked on the User Controlled Celebrations are the same people as the programmers working on AI. I'm not saying I expect the AI to be any better this year but I don't think User Controlled Celebrations is to blame for that...

I personally don't mind having some new celebrations that we can control, it's just a fun little addition.

I'm also looking forward to what they did for disallowed goals, in the E3 trailer it says "All New: Disallowed Goals" when it's listing some of the 200 new features.

# 11 bh446066 @ 06/16/10 12:36 PM
I don't recall seeing anywhere that you would be required to use them? I would think a user controlled celebration would be very applicable on a game winning goal. I'm going to quote the movie 'Stripes' now...."Lighten up, Francis."

# 12 bh446066 @ 06/16/10 12:49 PM
Neither is right or wrong but you're jumping my as$, huh? So sorry for preferring a different play style than you.

And by the way, you're just whining. All of these things you're complaining about can either be not used, or controlled in the settings menu. If you want a sim experience online, just join a sim league. I'm sure there will be several of them on this site alone.

# 13 kazo0 @ 06/16/10 12:49 PM
I didn't think about it like that, that makes sense. I still don't think it really hindered their progress with the AI though.

It's all opinions, I really don't see the harm in adding a few celebrations, just don't use them if you don't want to. You have to watch the other team celebrate anyway, user controlled or not, just like NHL 10 and NHL 09 and the ones before that. I don't see a big difference

# 14 Qb @ 06/16/10 12:50 PM
Please respect each other and no backhanded pot-shots, please.

# 15 kazo0 @ 06/16/10 01:11 PM
I agree that it could make the goals feel a tiny bit arcade-like but I think it would also add a realistic element to the game.

Like you said:
Quote:
I *DARE* an NHL player to Superman down the ice and see what happens during his next shift.

It's happened before, mind you it will of course happen more often in NHL 11, and it will happen again.

Just look at Milan Hejduk's goal celebration, (it won't let me add a youtube link in my post).

And yes just like in the NHL, when you're playing OTP or 1v1, and you get scored on and this guy starts pulling off a flamboyant goal celebration to get under your skin and annoy you, you can take that as an excuse to go out and dish some big hits to make him regret it and send your own message across.

# 16 Victory23 @ 06/16/10 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Telling someone they're whining isn't back-handed, it's a full-blown fist in the face.

As for celebrations, in FIFA, your player runs around like an idiot after a goal. And while you don't have to push one of the celebration buttons, it looks pretty darn stupid if you don't. So if they plan on doing the same thing with this game, then I can see it being an issue for those who don't want this feature.
Not if you cancel the celebration.

# 17 UwantRadie @ 06/16/10 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Please respect each other and no backhanded pot-shots, please.
Yeah.. what do you think this is an internet Forum or something?

Kidding... Thankfully this isnt GameFaqs... I would be required to donate my first child to them for making such a joke (havent been there in a few years, maybe they got better?).

Anyway... as for the goal celebrations... I just hope the AI is smart about choosing the right one for the situation.

Everyone keeps saying that the "superman" celebration is non-sim, but it can be in the right situation. I mean.. are you going to tell me that you have never seen a superman celebration in real life? It happens after OT winners ALL THE TIME... Just usually a teammate or the boards get in the way before a player is really "flying".

I really hope the triggers activate situation-specific celebrations... Like LT+Button is a mild celebration, just the Buttons is a regular one, and the RT is a more dramatic one.. that is only available on BIG goals.

Either way, the WHOLE TEAM (on the ice) must get together at some point IN EACH CELEBRATION!

I am a BIG sim guy myself and while not crazy about the celebrations idea, I am really sick of the same old stuff.. If they are comical, I will just button skip past it. Besides, this games real nemsis to the sim community is FAR WORSE...

GET RID OF STUPID EQUIPMENT IN EASHL!!!! PLEASE!

It was ridiculous to watch guys skate circles around my team all because we refused to cheat and buy equipment.

One game we lost was a 3-0 shutout... all 3 goals were scored by the other team in the same fashion... Faceoff in their zone, we win the faceoff, but their players were so fast that they would intercept the puck BEFORE IT EVEN GOT BACK TO THE DEFENSEMAN, they would zip past the D (who would be getting into position to grab the puck) and come in on a breakaway.

PLEASE GET RID OF THE CHEATING EQUIPMENT!!!

And if you use the cheating equipment, you can just shut up with any complaints elsewhere about the game being sim.

Expand on the attribute point award system. You should be rewarded for playing the game.. not paying it.

It should be noted that I have ZERO problem with games offering paid boosts for single player game, but not competative games. If FPS games can resist the temptation of that for this long.. then it makes me sick to my stomach that a sports game... something that should be so pure... is leading the way down this dangerous path.

That equipment really hurt the value of the game. I played hundreds of games on NHL 10 and it would have been A LOT more if the EASHL was wasnt such a joke.

# 18 UwantRadie @ 06/16/10 01:49 PM
Quote:
User Controled Goal celebrations has me completely turned off now.

If I ever saw a guy slide head first, superman style, as a celebration ... I would personally kick his teeth in.
I bet you wouldnt if the game was over and his goal was a game winner in OT.

Plus... not sure if you are aware of this but... kicking people in the teeth with skates on makes baby Jesus cry... just sayin'

But seriously, Like I said before.. there is room for more flair in the celebrations without making it unrealistic.. Lets just hope that is the aim... I fear that it is not. But I will hold my judgment until I see and play it.

# 19 UwantRadie @ 06/16/10 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwinginAs12
Set to launch on SEPTEMBER 14th!? what the..

Wasnt that when last years game came out? I think it is pretty standard..

I but a lot of games on their launch days (including virtually every sports title) so I forget exactly, but a month before the regular season sounds about right to me.

But where was this info found? And why the surprise expression?

# 20 pf8363 @ 06/16/10 03:03 PM
Quote:
I *DARE* an NHL player to Superman down the ice and see what happens during his next shift.

cant believe this hasnt been posted yet

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.