Madden NFL 11 News Post

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 jehrenfried @ 06/18/10 04:17 PM
Jets are stacked

# 2 J Masta J @ 06/18/10 04:27 PM
Well, we prayed and hoped and wished they wouldn't do it, but they've done it...they've made Gus Johnson's commentary as atrocious as Hammond's.

"This one's coming back!" Really Gus? Because usually when a team scores a touchdown and there's a penalty against the defense the offense DECLINES the penalty and takes the points. But why didn't you say that? Oh, is it because the programmers who control what you say and when you say it are not capable of putting together a solid commentary package? That's the big question, and I think I have my answer.

# 3 TheWatcher @ 06/18/10 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Masta J
Well, we prayed and hoped and wished they wouldn't do it, but they've done it...they've made Gus Johnson's commentary as atrocious as Hammond's.

"This one's coming back!" Really Gus? Because usually when a team scores a touchdown and there's a penalty against the defense the offense DECLINES the penalty and takes the points. But why didn't you say that? Oh, is it because the programmers who control what you say and when you say it are not capable of putting together a solid commentary package? That's the big question, and I think I have my answer.
"... he dumps it out left..."

"...passes it downfield..."

"... he scrambles away from defenders..."

The dead air is sickening, and there is no player identification on any lines. What's worse is that those are being announced as primary lines for first actions, not secondary... primary. That's unbelievable. It's the same problem as before, all they did was insert a new voice

If you listen closely to the video at about :58 seconds, you can hear another game in the background where Gus says "gives to the tailback". This is the same line that Tom Hammond had. I've never heard a commentator for the NFL use the term "tailback". I've only ever heard that term used by Collegiate broadcasters during Collegiate games and it sounds really out-of-place in an NFL game. I'll even go so far as to say, that if it is being used for NFL games, it's not being used often and certainly not by any major national broadcasting teams.

I'm starting to question just how much rewriting was actually done, if any at all. You can see how they don't really understand these little intricacies that help it sound more authentic, and why their mistakes are killing authenticity... then you look at players and some of their skintone are like 5 shades lighter in Madden than in real life... you look at Joseph Addai and he looks more like Andre Reed. How do you not notice that?

I'm sure Gus doesn't know this is happening with the commentary. Someone on the outside needs to let him know just how badly he's being represented. It's really unfair to Gus.

# 4 at23steelers @ 06/18/10 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
"... he dumps it out left..."

"...passes it downfield..."

"... he scrambles away from defenders..."

The dead air is sickening, and there is no player identification on any lines. What's worse is that those are being announced as primary lines for first actions, not secondary... primary. That's unbelievable. It's the same problem as before, all they did was insert a new voice

If you listen closely to the video at about :58 seconds, you can hear another game in the background where Gus says "gives to the tailback". This is the same line that Tom Hammond had. I've never heard a commentator for the NFL use the term "tailback". I've only ever heard that term used by Collegiate broadcasters during Collegiate games and it sounds really out-of-place in an NFL game. I'll even go so far as to say, that if it is being used for NFL games, it's not being used often and certainly not by any major national broadcasting teams.

I'm starting to question just how much rewriting was actually done, if any at all. You can see how they don't really understand these little intricacies that help it sound more authentic, and why their mistakes are killing authenticity... then you look at players and some of their skintone are like 5 shades lighter in Madden than in real life... you look at Joseph Addai and he looks more like Andre Reed. How do you not notice that?

I'm sure Gus doesn't know this is happening with the commentary. Someone on the outside needs to let him know just how badly he's being represented. It's really unfair to Gus.
When you went to CD, do you remember if Gus used real names or not, and if their was deadspace at the beginning of every play. If not, then it might not be Gus or the script writers, but the editors themself, which is truly sad, removing solid announcing and replace it with mediocre announcing.

# 5 noshun @ 06/18/10 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Masta J

I think you're right. I quoted gabs485, I think he agrees with you too.

# 6 TheWatcher @ 06/18/10 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
When you went to CD, do you remember if Gus used real names or not, and if their was deadspace at the beginning of every play. If not, then it might not be Gus or the script writers, but the editors themself, which is truly sad, removing solid announcing and replace it with mediocre announcing.
I don't remember there being identification in the correct way like "Sanchez, back to pass". But it was hard to tell what they were going to do at that point since most of the commentary was unavailable (still in developement) and there were placeholders in most spots (voiceovers of what the final would sound like, only not from Gus but from staff members).

# 7 davep @ 06/18/10 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I'm starting to question just how much rewriting was actually done, if any at all. You can see how they don't really understand these little intricacies that help it sound more authentic, and why their mistakes are killing authenticity
After watching more and more vids, I'm becoming convinced it's just a talent (or lack thereof) issue with the Madden sound guys.

2k basketball (baseball, and NHL 10) are nearly flawless with their commentating which is constant up and down action....which leads me to believe it can be done, but the talent level for Madden just isn't there. It's just disappointing to see the untapped potential and listen to a miserable audio experience year after year. Time to hire some new audio folks Madden.

# 8 Atomic Martian @ 06/18/10 07:59 PM
i thought they brought in a whole new audio crew this yr, and they were raving about how accurate team chants were. Has anybody been able to get listen on team chants?

# 9 convince @ 06/18/10 08:23 PM
Its nice to know that i can still drop back 15 yards and throw a TD pass.

# 10 bxgoods @ 06/18/10 08:40 PM
They have new sack animations? I seen sanchez get leveled, I didn't see that stupid throw down animmation

# 11 Spills22 @ 06/18/10 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by convince
I know right? What happened to the authentic gameplay that Ian was promising? I don't see what they did to improve the gameplay that much over last year. I was so much more excited last year and Ian seemed a lot more passionate about the game last year. I mean adding presentation is good and all but it's nothing more than additional cut scenes, and the same stuff we saw in 2K5. This game engine is played out already. Phil was pretty much saying they don't have enough money or time to recreate the whole game from scratch, but why not? You're friggin EA Sports! The only game in town! I wish I was more a baseball fan because MLB The Show in 3-D looked awesome!

# 12 TheWatcher @ 06/18/10 10:09 PM
After watching some of Pasta Padre's 3rd video set, I gotta say that the replay system looks pretty strong this year. I also like how they add a banner of the playmaker on the replay.

# 13 convince @ 06/18/10 11:39 PM
I think what the Devs and anyone who have early access to the game should do is release a "What you can't do" video. Release a video, actually dropping back xx yards and throw passes, rolling out to one side of the field and throwing to the other side and throwing deep passes and trying to do the rocket catch. i'm sure that there are other things that I'm not aware of. I know the devs and others are aware of these "issues" and their goals should be to prove that these things no longer exist in the game.

# 14 PantherBeast_OS @ 06/19/10 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by convince
I was told by a reliable source all these videos of madden 11 was played on pro. So it want be so easy once on all pro and all madden.

# 15 blklightning @ 06/19/10 03:49 AM
i thought they said players' names in the ps2 version. i don't know how so many other sports games can get this right, yet the best selling of them all can't. doesn't make any sense to me.

# 16 at23steelers @ 06/19/10 04:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimixiii
But it has been that easy before in All Pro & All Madden. Those settings have never affect the ease of dropping back, I think you know that.

But imo Gus is still an improvement, but compared to all other sports games out now (I think its pretty much safe to say all) it's like Montana Sports Talk Football. Where's the chitter chatter between him & Collinsworth? I played NBA2K10 yesterday and just noticed in season mode they actually mentioned how my Bulls team dominated the team I was playing from last seasons matchups...that is incredible attention to detail from the announcing standpoint to recognize that. They go into how the player preformed on the previous night and the back & forth between the two is great. Since Madden add to get new lines, I don't know why they didn't upgrade how the commentary towards something like that.
Haha, they are talking about matchups, and Madden can't even get names! Btw, I got a reliable source (Pastapadre himself) that most of his are on all-pro, but almost every other video we see is on pro.

# 17 Triathlete_201 @ 06/19/10 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
Pantherbeast, this is seriously your answer to everything negative posted about Madden. Either they're playing on rookie or pro, or it's an early build, or you're sure Ian and his crew are aware, and it'll be fixed....blah, blah, blah.
cue Pantherbeast: "well, I guess I just don't take video games as serious as some of you guys. No game is perfect! I just play them for fun!"

# 18 Shawnj86 @ 06/19/10 11:12 AM
jets look ok

# 19 Bodizzy @ 06/19/10 11:46 AM
As some of you noted, it could be a talent (or lack thereof) issue with getting an amazing Madden developed and shipped to us foaming-at-the-mouth consumers. Regardless, I haven't played this Madden yet so I may be just talking out of a certain orifice, but it just seems like the same ol' stale hackneyed cut of football we've been getting for the current console generation. The game needs a serious overhaul from helmet to cleat and I don't see it coming out of EA Tiburon. There just seems to be no soul or passion in this title anymore. It is lifeless.

# 20 fmrodog @ 06/19/10 12:25 PM
NCAA is on pre-order, I have given up on Madden.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.