NBA Elite 11 News Post

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 rEAnimator @ 06/29/10 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKasmar
It it possible for me to brick a midrange shot? I dont just mean hitting the back of the rim. What determines the power of the shot? Is it always a late release?

Can the basketball hit the backboard as well? The physics of the basketball will play a big role in this game.

I like the control that's displayed in the video, but I'm also concerned to say the least. I cant wait to bust out half court shots.
You can brick a shot from anywhere. And yes, the ball can hit the backboard.

The shot off the glass you see in the video isn't programmed to happen that way. It's just creative use of the controls to get the ball to go where you want. It's all just physics.

So if you want to try and miss to the right because you have a power rebounder over there who is not being well guarded, go for it.

It's totally possible.

# 22 fluent2332 @ 06/29/10 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
I agree with you on the shot power thing. We've had this discussion amongst the dev team about the power meter.

Basically, an early release in real life should result in a lower powered shot. A late release in real life should result in a lower powered shot.

However, people who play video games are trained to think of a power meter as just that. The longer you charge the power, the more power you'll get.

Unfortunately these two ideas conflict.

We've focus tested the two and for now the power meter remains as it is in the video. If you feel strongly about it one way or the other, voice your opinions, post a poll, make it known how you feel.

The game isn't done yet so it is possible to have an influence.

I cannot promise anything will change, but if you feel strongly about it you should make that known.

We are listening.
I disagree with this. In real life a quick release means a shot with more touch on it. Just because you released early doesn't mean your shot will fall short. Just like if you hang in the air to avoid an initial block and release late, it doesn't mean you're going to heave it with all your strength at the rim.

This was one of the best things about Live 10, the touch, balance and "feel" of shooting, because you could quick release at the perfect time and it flowed perfectly into a shot, or you could hold the release longer to gather your shot and make a more deliberate type of shot, ala almost a set shot.

If you are going for a sim game - touch, balance, feel, timing - 4 key components to shooting. Much more than too much or too little strength, which as a shooter in real life doesn't even really play into my mind when I'm shooting.

# 23 rEAnimator @ 06/29/10 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
I disagree with this. In real life a quick release means a shot with more touch on it. Just because you released early doesn't mean your shot will fall short. Just like if you hang in the air to avoid an initial block and release late, it doesn't mean you're going to heave it with all your strength at the rim.

This was one of the best things about Live 10, the touch, balance and "feel" of shooting, because you could quick release at the perfect time and it flowed perfectly into a shot, or you could hold the release longer to gather your shot and make a more deliberate type of shot, ala almost a set shot.

If you are going for a sim game - touch, balance, feel, timing - 4 key components to shooting. Much more than too much or too little strength, which as a shooter in real life doesn't even really play into my mind when I'm shooting.
It doesn't play into your mind because you've trained your body to release the ball at the appropriate speed based on how far away you are, and many other factors.

But when you do make a mistake, and you throw it long, or a little to the left, often times you know that you've done it the instant it leaves your hands.

This is the feeling we're trying to replicate with Elite. You'll get into a rhythm, feel the timing of the shot (not think about it) and know that you've made a mistake before the game shows you that it's happened.

I hear what you're saying about the timing of the release. We've chosen to simulate the power and angle of the shot using the mechanics described in the video. That does add timing elements to the game that don't necessarily exist in real life (it does to some degree, but like you said in real life you can compensate).

Hopefully you enjoy it and agree with the decisions we made when you try it out, but understand that there are trade offs that have to be made when building a game.

# 24 dexvex @ 06/29/10 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharlem
Yea im not feeling the bankshots either.

rEAnimator

The art of the bankshot by Dwayne Wade
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTA1Xgnhg7A

Tim Duncan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de9u7...eature=related
Those are two really good looking bankshot but not never body shoots it like them . Take sheed for instance he hangs in the air and releases late similar to the one in the video. We just need a variety for different players

but yea the fadeaways need alot of work....

# 25 Da-Man @ 06/29/10 09:46 PM
Is there a way to influence the arc of your shot if your defender is really close as opposed to a wide open set shot?

# 26 fluent2332 @ 06/29/10 09:47 PM
Quote:
It doesn't play into your mind because you've trained your body to release the ball at the appropriate speed based on how far away you are, and many other factors.

But when you do make a mistake, and you throw it long, or a little to the left, often times you know that you've done it the instant it leaves your hands.

This is the feeling we're trying to replicate with Elite. You'll get into a rhythm, feel the timing of the shot (not think about it) and know that you've made a mistake before the game shows you that it's happened.

I hear what you're saying about the timing of the release. We've chosen to simulate the power and angle of the shot using the mechanics described in the video. That does add timing elements to the game that don't necessarily exist in real life (it does to some degree, but like you said in real life you can compensate).

Hopefully you enjoy it and agree with the decisions we made when you try it out, but understand that there are trade offs that have to be made when building a game.
So if a defender is closing fast on me and I want to quickly pop a 3 before he gets there, I am going to leave it short every time because I didn't hit the perfect release? How about stopping on a dime for a quick J, or a floater, or countless other examples of when you try to catch the D off-guard with different timings. It seems as though the game is only going to play at one speed, which will leave the lesser teams in the dust because they can't compensate.

Couldn't the sweet spot react differently based on the defense, the situation, etc? Not just get bigger/smaller, but get quicker/longer based on what's happening on the court? I dunno. One of my favorite parts of Live 10 was rhythm based shooting. Catching a bad pass but taking your time to gather, take one dribble and step into a 3. You would have to hold the release a little longer maybe to get yourself back into balance.

I see what you are saying about tradeoffs when you allow full control as such, but I'm wondering how you can replicate the real NBA and players who use timing so heavily like Steph Curry, Steve Nash, most of the GSW (who compensate for lack of athleticism etc with timing-based play), and many others.

# 27 rEAnimator @ 06/29/10 09:54 PM
Quote:
So if a defender is closing fast on me and I want to quickly pop a 3 before he gets there, I am going to leave it short every time because I didn't hit the perfect release? How about stopping on a dime for a quick J, or a floater, or countless other examples of when you try to catch the D off-guard with different timings. It seems as though the game is only going to play at one speed, which will leave the lesser teams in the dust because they can't compensate.

Couldn't the sweet spot react differently based on the defense, the situation, etc? Not just get bigger/smaller, but get quicker/longer based on what's happening on the court? I dunno. One of my favorite parts of Live 10 was rhythm based shooting. Catching a bad pass but taking your time to gather, take one dribble and step into a 3. You would have to hold the release a little longer maybe to get yourself back into balance.

I see what you are saying about tradeoffs when you allow full control as such, but I'm wondering how you can replicate the real NBA and players who use timing so heavily like Steph Curry, Steve Nash, most of the GSW (who compensate for lack of athleticism etc with timing-based play), and many others.
If a defender is closing fast on you and you want to pop a quick 3, you can. As you said it may come up short though.

But if your player is a good 3pt shooter, and you know that and have practiced with him, you'll know that his sweet spot start earlier as well. So you'll know exactly how early you can release and still get the shot far enough.

This is realistic because getting off an early shot will throw you off your rhythm and make the shot less likely to go in.

Same applies here, releasing the ball early will result in a shot that is less likely to succeed. But with a good shooter, the range will be bigger and you'll be able to release early and still get the range you're after.

# 28 TreyIM2 @ 06/29/10 09:55 PM
rEAnimator - I liked the quick floater and the idea of the turn around jumper. Everything else I was already aware of. However, if you guys are going to continue to make more promotional vids and talk about this game, please stop saying that "It is now possible to bank shots" as if it is actually new to this franchise. Live 10 had bank shots.

# 29 rEAnimator @ 06/29/10 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
rEAnimator - I liked the quick floater and the idea of the turn around jumper. Everything else I was already aware of. However, if you guys are going to continue to make more promotional vids and talk about this game, please stop saying that "It is now possible to bank shots" as if it is actually new to this franchise. Live 10 had bank shots.
I think what they mean to say is that it is now possible to choose to do a bank shot, from anywhere on the court at anytime, and precisely control the direction and power of the bank shot.

That is something that wasn't in Live 10, and I don't think has been in any basketball game.

But I agree, the way it's worded opens the door for a misunderstanding.

# 30 ParisB @ 06/29/10 10:06 PM
Quote:

It seems right to me. If you have to "quickly" get the shot up, your timing will be off in real life too and it will be a lower percentage shot. I don't understand what the problem is here.

Whether a defender is closing in or not, a player maintains his normal shooting form. They usually know if they have enough space to get it off. The User has to make the same decision. Is there just enough space to get the shot off? Yes? Shoot. No? pump fake or get blocked.

see from 1:13 on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIhRaCyWOAA

# 31 ParisB @ 06/29/10 10:09 PM
Quote:
I agree with you on the shot power thing. We've had this discussion amongst the dev team about the power meter.

Basically, an early release in real life should result in a lower powered shot. A late release in real life should result in a lower powered shot.

However, people who play video games are trained to think of a power meter as just that. The longer you charge the power, the more power you'll get.

Unfortunately these two ideas conflict.

We've focus tested the two and for now the power meter remains as it is in the video. If you feel strongly about it one way or the other, voice your opinions, post a poll, make it known how you feel.

The game isn't done yet so it is possible to have an influence.

I cannot promise anything will change, but if you feel strongly about it you should make that known.

We are listening.
I agree with the power meter mentality, it will work best that way as a video game...but is there a way of tweaking the animation to not get it off on the way down? or at least so it's not so obvious? it does look a bit on the silly side...

# 32 YoungG @ 06/29/10 10:16 PM
this is all positives and im happy that elite 11 will have total control. It'll be interesting to play it when the demo drops

# 33 fluent2332 @ 06/29/10 10:16 PM
Quote:
If a defender is closing fast on you and you want to pop a quick 3, you can. As you said it may come up short though.

But if your player is a good 3pt shooter, and you know that and have practiced with him, you'll know that his sweet spot start earlier as well. So you'll know exactly how early you can release and still get the shot far enough.

This is realistic because getting off an early shot will throw you off your rhythm and make the shot less likely to go in.

Same applies here, releasing the ball early will result in a shot that is less likely to succeed. But with a good shooter, the range will be bigger and you'll be able to release early and still get the range you're after.
Isn't your rhythm directly related to how quick or long your release is?

If we are running and gunning down the court, my release on an Anthony Morrow 3 might be lightning quick, whereas in a half-court, slower set, I may sit down on my shot more. Think Stephen Jackson - his release varies depending on what's happening on the court. So maybe the sweet spot should be directly related to the rhythm at which you are playing.

I was one of the few who thought Live 10 was a great game, and I also play in real life, and felt I could pull off similar moves in Live 10. But on top of that I would urge you guys to take a look at the situations I described. I think the way the control is set up right now, it seems to take an elementary approach when a more complex system is needed. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
It seems right to me. If you have to "quickly" get the shot up, your timing will be off in real life too and it will be a lower percentage shot. I don't understand what the problem is here.

Whether a defender is closing in or not, a player maintains his normal shooting form. They usually know if they have enough space to get it off.
It's difficult to explain, but it's not as cut and dry as that. Sure players maintain their form but there is an ever so subtle difference based on the defense. Just because you used a quick release (see: Steph Curry coming off a screen vs. Steph Curry with all day to shoot), doesn't necessarily mean the shot will be lower percentage, not if you have outstanding touch like a lot of NBA players do. Shooting to me is a situation based/dynamic thing, and release points and timing change from play to play. Even if it's milliseconds difference, you can still feel it. High arcing shots like Curry/Nash and others use all utilize a quick flick type of release.

That said though the game still looks fun as hell and I can't wait to try it . And props to you guys for getting so hands on with the forums during this process.

# 34 rEAnimator @ 06/29/10 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
I agree with the power meter mentality, it will work best that way as a video game...but is there a way of tweaking the animation to not get it off on the way down? or at least so it's not so obvious? it does look a bit on the silly side...
Yes, there is a way.

We actually had that setup prior to E3 to make the shots look more realistic, but then removed it last minute because new users found the timing harder to get used to.

We're looking at trying to tune the timing windows so that the best looking shot (ie releasing the stick a little before the peak of the jump) and the best release point (releasing the stick at the peak of the jump) both result in successful shots from a reasonable shooting range.

But as I've said this is a balancing act for us. We're aware of what's causing the shot timing to look off, and we're working to fix that while preserving the feel.

Remember that you've only got half the picture by watching the videos.

You haven't experienced the feel yet so you don't know what benefits the choice we've made gives you yet.

So I completely understand your guys perspective after watching the video, but understand that your perspective might change after trying the demo.

We don't want to make snap reactions based on feedback on the video if it has a negative affect on the feel without seriously considering it first.

Hope that helps.

# 35 ParisB @ 06/29/10 10:32 PM
Quote:
Isn't your rhythm directly related to how quick or long your release is?

If we are running and gunning down the court, my release on an Anthony Morrow 3 might be lightning quick, whereas in a half-court, slower set, I may sit down on my shot more. Think Stephen Jackson - his release varies depending on what's happening on the court. So maybe the sweet spot should be directly related to the rhythm at which you are playing.

I was one of the few who thought Live 10 was a great game, and I also play in real life, and felt I could pull off similar moves in Live 10. But on top of that I would urge you guys to take a look at the situations I described. I think the way the control is set up right now, it seems to take an elementary approach when a more complex system is needed. Just my 2 cents.

It's difficult to explain, but it's not as cut and dry as that. Sure players maintain their form but there is an ever so subtle difference based on the defense. Just because you used a quick release (see: Steph Curry coming off a screen vs. Steph Curry with all day to shoot), doesn't necessarily mean the shot will be lower percentage, not if you have outstanding touch like a lot of NBA players do. Shooting to me is a situation based/dynamic thing, and release points and timing change from play to play. Even if it's milliseconds difference, you can still feel it. High arcing shots like Curry/Nash and others use all utilize a quick flick type of release.

That said though the game still looks fun as hell and I can't wait to try it . And props to you guys for getting so hands on with the forums during this process.
guys with quick releases (in their natural form) will be reflected correctly, from what i've read. Ray Allen has a quick release in real life, and his sweet spot timing in the game should be achieved quicker (as in to get to the top of his release point).

I think you're worried that every player will have the same jump and timing.

# 36 P-Dub @ 06/29/10 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Man
Is there a way to influence the arc of your shot if your defender is really close as opposed to a wide open set shot?
This is important, imo. The shot trajectories in the video were very flat. I think the shots would look better if their peak was at least the top of the backboard. Also, an idea for changing your arc could be by pressing up on the left stick while shooting.

Quote:

Some players have more of a set shot that they can get off quicker, rather than a jumpshot. Will there be a way of manually performing this type of shot, with a modifier, perhaps? Or will it just be up to that players sig shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
Completely agree. I think a modifier button while in air or even choosing the angle with the left stick while still releasing the right stick at the sweet spot moment would be better than releasing on the way down to provide the extra power. That might conflict with running or fading shots, though.

What about pushing the right stick up, and then curling it to the side to trigger a bank? How straight the stick is pushed up initially would determine the angle.

Maybe if they implemented the possibility to change the arc of the shot, then they could also use that to trigger a bank shot by pushing the left stick at an angle while in air.

Could just use the layup motion from beyond a certain distance, with the right stick being held at the proper angle to make the bank.

# 37 bigeastbumrush @ 06/29/10 11:01 PM
This game is gonna be a problem.

# 38 TreyIM2 @ 06/29/10 11:07 PM
Quote:
I think what they mean to say is that it is now possible to choose to do a bank shot, from anywhere on the court at anytime, and precisely control the direction and power of the bank shot.

That is something that wasn't in Live 10, and I don't think has been in any basketball game.

But I agree, the way it's worded opens the door for a misunderstanding.

# 39 rkonyx @ 06/30/10 01:45 AM
why cant bank shots be like lats year i dont understand. holding the shot is dumb

# 40 Rocboyz101 @ 06/30/10 02:07 AM
That bank shot looked kinda cool..I didn't like the way last years looked. Looks better now.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.