Home
NHL 11 News Post

Read the entire NHL 11 chat, here.

* Check out some of the menu screenshots, right here.

What is the "Hustle Button"?

Quote:
"EASPORTSNHL:
Ok, the new Gameplay Feature is a feature we are calling the Hustle Button. I will let Redshirt explain how it works.

RedshirtEA:
Ok... first what it is NOT....
It is NOT sprint or speed burst like NHL06 (and earlier).

It is on L3, and it gives you an increase to acceleration and a small increase in speed.

The point of it is to create a range in speed so that players aren't always going 100% speed. It lowers your fatigue more quickly than normal skating and you can't turn as sharply."

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 scitychamps87 @ 07/29/10 07:08 PM
thanks steve! this game will be the best. dont yins guys agree? best gameplay ever!

# 2 plaidchuck @ 07/29/10 07:12 PM
looks great except in the last vid, it looked like the poke/slashed missed the player.. and also you can't really tell if he just falls over or if he is hit(it looks like the hit missed)

The hustle button sounds good and well thought out, the only caveat I can see is he said it is tied into the endurance rating, which worries me that we'll have 99 endurance heroes on the EASHL "hustling"(pun intended) the entire game.

# 3 nddurst @ 07/29/10 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
looks great except in the last vid, it looked like the poke/slashed missed the player.. and also you can't really tell if he just falls over or if he is hit(it looks like the hit missed)
Also, shouldn't Keith have at least tried to block the pass initially? Instead he hesitates and lets it go through.

# 4 Lordofthething @ 07/29/10 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammer
I think having it mapped to L3 might be a bit awkward.....you'll be pushing forward on L stick to move and if you're like me you might be pushing down hard and accidentally activate it, or not be able to activate it when you want.

I guess we'll see when we get the demo.
I agree 100%, I asked them if it can be remapped but the session ended and my question was never answered

# 5 KraZe @ 07/29/10 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammer
I'm not just getting the "hustle" button thing.....1 click on L3 for a bit of an increase, 2 clicks for more and 3 clicks for full burst....but how do you go back to normal? If I click L3 once do I have to click 3 more times to cycle back to normal?

I think having it mapped to L3 might be a bit awkward.....you'll be pushing forward on L stick to move and if you're like me you might be pushing down hard and accidentally activate it, or not be able to activate it when you want.

I guess we'll see when we get the demo.
I would think that if you engage the "Hustle" feature, it'll probably continue until you let up on your forward momentum.

# 6 patsfan188 @ 07/29/10 08:55 PM
This game is looking very good.

# 7 BlueNGold @ 07/29/10 09:01 PM
Good look, Steve.

That opening menu is awesome.

Quote:
NateHL: had this awesome hit once, where Salo went to glove the puck down, i took a run at him and laid him flat on his back. Injured, concussion. absolutely satisfying to sit in the box for 2 minutes. so to answer your question, yes, you can steam roll guys who are trying to glove the puck.
Quote:
RedshirtEA: Yes, if you break a stick with a stick lift you can get a penalty.
Quote:
[Comment From Guest]
If the player who broke his stick shoots one-way but a team mate gives him stick that shoots the opposite, will, his ability with the stick be decreased?

RedshirtEA: Yes, it is a pretty rare circumstance, but having the wrong curve does affect passing and shooting.
Quote:
RedshirtEA: Yes, you *can* fall if you skate over a broken stick.

# 8 Ermolli @ 07/29/10 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
Good look, Steve.

That opening menu is awesome.
Cosign this. What an intro to pump up someone.

# 9 BlueNGold @ 07/29/10 09:22 PM
Looking at the menu screens (which look awesome too), I'm wondering if they're from the demo? There's only 3 menu options on all of them.

# 10 The Visualizer @ 07/29/10 10:41 PM
I assume the hustle button will be taking the place of the "push puck speed burst button"? As long as the hustle button works a little better than the push puck ill be happy. They improved the mapping of it in NHL10 but sometimes it's unresponsive when I try to do it with the LT button.

# 11 plaidchuck @ 07/29/10 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nddurst
Also, shouldn't Keith have at least tried to block the pass initially? Instead he hesitates and lets it go through.
Another good point... really am hoping the AI Dmen are improved.. because EASHL becomes a cross crease fest if you have CPU Dmen...

# 12 onlybygrace @ 07/29/10 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Visualizer
I assume the hustle button will be taking the place of the "push puck speed burst button"? As long as the hustle button works a little better than the push puck ill be happy. They improved the mapping of it in NHL10 but sometimes it's unresponsive when I try to do it with the LT button.
No...they said in the chat that the 'push puck speed burst' is still in.

# 13 plaidchuck @ 07/29/10 10:43 PM
Quote:
Nope according to the chat the push the puck L2 is still there...

# 14 akula @ 07/29/10 10:58 PM
I wonder if you can use both speed burst and push puck with the puck then.. so.. I could tap hustle three times, THEN push puck and my guy would be going REALLY fast!

# 15 The Visualizer @ 07/29/10 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
No...they said in the chat that the 'push puck speed burst' is still in.
Ok, yeah just got finished reading the full chat transcript.

I like the idea but not the implementation. 3 clicks seems 2 too many for a technique you shouldn't be using a whole lot. Would rather you click it once and the player's acceleration rating takes care of the rest. I mean with 3 clicks your basically saying a player has 4 or 5 different gears of speed.

1st gear - skating slow on purpose with the analog stick
2nd gear - skating as fast as you can with the analog stick
3rd gear - 1 click
4th gear - 2 clicks
5th gear - 3 clicks

I'm all for more options, but this is kind of over-complicating the idea of speed. The analog gives you good enough precision without needing levels. We've come this far, getting rid of a dedicated speed burst button, is rapidly pressing a button really necessary. I'm sure I'll enjoy the game regardless, just don't quite understand what they were shooting for here...

# 16 bukktown @ 07/29/10 11:20 PM
Quote:
Ok, yeah just got finished reading the full chat transcript.

I like the idea but not the implementation. 3 clicks seems 2 too many for a technique you shouldn't be using a whole lot. Would rather you click it once and the player's acceleration rating takes care of the rest. I mean with 3 clicks your basically saying a player has 4 or 5 different gears of speed.

1st gear - skating slow on purpose with the analog stick
2nd gear - skating as fast as you can with the analog stick
3rd gear - 1 click
4th gear - 2 clicks
5th gear - 3 clicks

I'm all for more options, but this is kind of over-complicating the idea of speed. The analog gives you good enough precision without needing levels. We've come this far, getting rid of a dedicated speed burst button, is rapidly pressing a button really necessary. I'm sure I'll enjoy the game regardless, just don't quite understand what they were shooting for here...
I think you would only use it sparingly as it should fatigue your player in like 15 seconds.

# 17 Vikes1 @ 07/29/10 11:31 PM
I especially liked the look of the puck physic video.

I hoping the new puck physic help to lesson the too perfect nature of past games. Ie, pucks that will be less glued to the players stick. And passes that can be a bit more difficult to handle etc...

Can't wait for 9/7.

# 18 ericromain @ 07/29/10 11:52 PM
i'm delighted about the inclusion of changable faceoff formations. This is something i've wanted for a long time and didn't expect.

# 19 LuGer33 @ 07/29/10 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
I think you would only use it sparingly as it should fatigue your player in like 15 seconds.
Remember, it's just a short burst that gets you from Point A to Point B. As they said in the chat, you don't want to use it unless you're going in a straight line really... that is a breakaway, a backcheck, forechecking hard, trying to split the defense, etc.

It's not like you click the sticks to enter different speeds (1 click adds +2 to your speed rating, nothing like that) it just gives your skater some extra "oomph" for I believe only a few seconds in order to get to a loose puck. Also remember this fatigues your skater like you said, so you are actually a bit slower after using this "hustle" button (though I think it's more like a sprint button to be honest). This way your endurance attribute finally matters in OTP this year.

# 20 plaidchuck @ 07/30/10 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericromain
i'm delighted about the inclusion of changable faceoff formations. This is something i've wanted for a long time and didn't expect.
Wow I missed that, awesome!!

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.