Home
NHL 11 News Post

Read the entire NHL 11 chat, here.

* Check out some of the menu screenshots, right here.

What is the "Hustle Button"?

Quote:
"EASPORTSNHL:
Ok, the new Gameplay Feature is a feature we are calling the Hustle Button. I will let Redshirt explain how it works.

RedshirtEA:
Ok... first what it is NOT....
It is NOT sprint or speed burst like NHL06 (and earlier).

It is on L3, and it gives you an increase to acceleration and a small increase in speed.

The point of it is to create a range in speed so that players aren't always going 100% speed. It lowers your fatigue more quickly than normal skating and you can't turn as sharply."

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 ComaFaction @ 08/02/10 11:10 AM
With sports games iterated on an annual basis, there's always going to be that "work-in-progress" vibe in games. The key is that they continually progress, for me at least.

Given the NHL development teams commitment to the game and the community over the past 3-4 years, and the amount of enjoyment I get out of their games, I'm certainly willing to accept this method of implementing new technology and features.

# 42 plaidchuck @ 08/02/10 11:15 AM
I dunno I thought most things worked last year, except the post-whistle stuff was absolutely a bust, and the board play dodgy as well but still showed some promise.

# 43 m-dogg @ 08/02/10 01:24 PM
They really need to allow for custom control layouts. this hustle button is going to kill me. I cannot tell you how many times a game I do the "fake shot" animation online when just trying to dangle. i do not feel I am clicking the stick in, and it never happens to me offline. I would pay to take the fake shot click out...now they are adding a left stick click?! I'm going to be going hustle mode all the time by accident. I cant wait for my first "hustle fake shot" combo robbin me of a goal!

I don't like the click stick controlling anything, theres always a better option..

# 44 LuGer33 @ 08/02/10 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akula
it's right on the same stick you are already using to skate around.. need a hustle? push down. seems intuitive enough
It takes some getting used to, for the first day of the Community Event, I forgot it existed but I used it the second day and it does add to the gameplay.

# 45 Money99 @ 08/02/10 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGer33
It takes some getting used to, for the first day of the Community Event, I forgot it existed but I used it the second day and it does add to the gameplay.
Can you comment on how/if the CPU utilizes it? If so, is it smart about it's execution?

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing with this 'hustle button' is allowing the very elite skaters to continue carrying the puck and making quick turns while at top speed.
Players like Pavel Bure, Gaborik or Ovechkin can pretty much do the same things with the puck at top speed as they can standing still.
Allowing only special players this benefit, it would change the dynamic of some games and really force the user to take count of which defenders they have on the ice at all times.

# 46 onlybygrace @ 08/02/10 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Can you comment on how/if the CPU utilizes it? If so, is it smart about it's execution?

One thing I wouldn't mind seeing with this 'hustle button' is allowing the very elite skaters to continue carrying the puck and making quick turns while at top speed.
Players like Pavel Bure, Gaborik or Ovechkin can pretty much do the same things with the puck at top speed as they can standing still.
Allowing only special players this benefit, it would change the dynamic of some games and really force the user to take count of which defenders they have on the ice at all times.
This.

Great points. That would really add a lot to the game.

# 47 LuGer33 @ 08/02/10 04:38 PM
Quote:
The way the CPU used it was still being tuned in the build we played, so I'm not sure how it was ultimately implemented for the AI in the final game.

The AI was pretty quirky in the first build we played, so it's sort of hard to comment on it for NHL 11. They were loose puck dekeing all over the ice for some reason. The second day was much better, but there was still obviously a lot of work to be done.

Now don't get all nervous and freaked out because I said that. Remember this was back in May. The AI we see in the demo in another few weeks will be 23534560x more indicative of the final product than what we played against at the Event.

# 48 Money99 @ 08/02/10 05:52 PM
Quote:
The way the CPU used it was still being tuned in the build we played, so I'm not sure how it was ultimately implemented for the AI in the final game.

The AI was pretty quirky in the first build we played, so it's sort of hard to comment on it for NHL 11. They were loose puck dekeing all over the ice for some reason. The second day was much better, but there was still obviously a lot of work to be done.

Now don't get all nervous and freaked out because I said that. Remember this was back in May. The AI we see in the demo in another few weeks will be 23534560x more indicative of the final product than what we played against at the Event.
Thanks for the reply Luger.
I can't believe we're mere weeks away from the demo. Sweet!

# 49 KraZe @ 08/02/10 07:28 PM
Quote:

Another thing to remember is that when the demo comes out, we all need to hit it as hard as possible and get feedback back to the team so they can look at tweaking it for release. Even if it's a Day-1 update, it's better than dealing with something that's crap with everyone believing it'll magically be fixed on its own.

# 50 onlybygrace @ 08/02/10 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraZe
Another thing to remember is that when the demo comes out, we all need to hit it as hard as possible and get feedback back to the team so they can look at tweaking it for release. Even if it's a Day-1 update, it's better than dealing with something that's crap with everyone believing it'll magically be fixed on its own.
Don't worry about that. The feedback will be ridonkulous on this demo.

EA has been awesome about responding to feedback and making corrections with this game...so I'm assuming this year will be no different.

# 51 Qb @ 08/02/10 10:03 PM
Quote:
HA! I forgot about the awesome windmill dekes at the point by the CPU defensemen. Definitely better the second day, but it made for some odd moments on the first.

# 52 JezFranco @ 08/03/10 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraZe
Hmmm... I'm assuming that when the demo hit the stores, the shelf product is already out for final print and burn, or soon to be anyway.
Don't think we'll have the time to influence the actual game being shipped a few weeks later later.
What a great feedback could do though, is to speed up a first tuner set/patch.

Don't take my word for it, but that's what I think anyway.

# 53 KraZe @ 08/03/10 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezFranco
Hmmm... I'm assuming that when the demo hit the stores, the shelf product is already out for final print and burn, or soon to be anyway.
Don't think we'll have the time to influence the actual game being shipped a few weeks later later.
What a great feedback could do though, is to speed up a first tuner set/patch.

Don't take my word for it, but that's what I think anyway.
... I'm fully aware of the development/creation process, and that would be why I talked about a Day-1 update. Thanks for reading though...

# 54 Qb @ 08/03/10 09:21 AM
Easy fellas... Based on last year, I'm sure the team will be looking for feedback from the demo for tuning purposes -- we got the first tuner right around or at release last year -- as well as an eventual title update down the road.

And before anyone asks, no, I haven't heard anything about the release date of the demo.

# 55 Qb @ 08/03/10 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapdinger69
Listen, Mr. Samsonite, about the briefcase, my friend Harry and I have every intention of fully reimbursing you..... so is that a tongue out , wink, wink, i haven't heard anything about the release date? or just a tongue out don't bother asking me about the release date? lol
1. Those are as good as money... those are IOUs.

2. The latter. I have no inside scoop, so don't bother asking. I'm as much in the dark about the demo as you guys are.

# 56 JimmyDeicide @ 08/03/10 02:41 PM
QB "You really wimped out man". on your answer

Ill be doing the NHL 11 shuffle this year. After a year off i should be good to go.

# 57 actionhank @ 08/03/10 05:42 PM
I don't see much difference in puck physics.
I'm not trying to nit-pick, but i've seen that same thing happen in ten.
And i hate it.
No way a guy doing a sweep with one hand, on the backhand of his stick, should rocket a puck into the air like that.
It's not a big deal, i just don't understand why they chose that video to represent the puck physics.

# 58 sroz39 @ 08/03/10 07:56 PM
Did they mention anything on the implementation of this Hustle technique as it pertains to EASHL/OTP play? Without a functioning Endurance attribute, the thought of unlimited Hustle terrifies me when I think about how top teams would use it.

Unless Endurance works now. Even then, those teams would have it at 99 and that's all she wrote for balanced gameplay, much like the 99 Puck Control nonsense you see from top teams.

# 59 JimmyDeicide @ 08/03/10 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
And i hate it.
No way a guy doing a sweep with one hand, on the backhand of his stick, should rocket a puck into the air like that.
It's not a big deal, i just don't understand why they chose that video to represent the puck physics.
I think someone made a mistake with the metric to imperial conversion and made the puck 6 grams instead of 6 ounces.

# 60 onlybygrace @ 08/03/10 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
And i hate it.
It really doesn't look that bad to me.

First of all, the puck is on edge and I really wouldn't describe it as 'rocketing' into the air when all it does is go about 5.5-6 feet high or so.

With the strength of an NHLer and the puck on edge, I could see a 6-8 inch swipe of a puck going head high.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.