Home
Backbreaker News Post

The "Greathouse" patch for Backbreaker is now available for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

To find out what's in the patch, click here.

Here's some quick thoughts...

The CPU is better but could probably be even better. Time will tell on this one.
CPU can run. CPU can pass.
Sometimes the safeties just don't go after the ball resulting in an easy catch and other times they do. Probably has to do with focus ratings but doesn't look right when they sit back.
Instant replay is okay. It's not in the same league as WEs or NFL2k5 but after original version, you can see what's going on and have multiple views.
Teams may have been edited.

It looks like they did a bang up job! Time will tell on how it holds up.

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 181 allBthere @ 08/12/10 10:10 AM
I still can't get over why/how they neutered the run-game.

For this particular game, running the ball is at it's core with all the hits and interaction. For me in most games I'm most satisfied with a nice long pass, but in this game busting out a good run feels the most gratifying.

I want them to do a minor patch to improve blocking at the line during a run.

I had a game yesterday on pro-med, and got a 3.3 yard per rush performance, but that is the highest in 5 games this season. And I feel like I'm almost seeing MORE 'friendly fire' post-patch.

I think they have to make tweaks globally and can't just do it for certain positions or something like that.

# 182 Phobia @ 08/12/10 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I still can't get over why/how they neutered the run-game.

For this particular game, running the ball is at it's core with all the hits and interaction. For me in most games I'm most satisfied with a nice long pass, but in this game busting out a good run feels the most gratifying.

I want them to do a minor patch to improve blocking at the line during a run.

I had a game yesterday on pro-med, and got a 3.3 yard per rush performance, but that is the highest in 5 games this season. And I feel like I'm almost seeing MORE 'friendly fire' post-patch.

I think they have to make tweaks globally and can't just do it for certain positions or something like that.
I know bro. I had a game the other night. 15 rush att, 0.3 yards per carry. I had a total of like 5 yards rushing LOL. Most I think I have rushed for since the patch has been around 40 yards

# 183 TombSong @ 08/12/10 03:04 PM
There is a little trick to running. 1 is knowing which direction you are suppose to move the L-stick when running non-aggressive/aggressive(It changes your turn rate and which direction you need to be pushing the stick)

2. Is doing as Todd mentioned on the forums. Dont touch the stick at all until you see the hole then cut in that direction. After a while practicing you will know when to cut and how to once you understand how to manipulate your RB in his different modes of running.

How many of you know that on a Toss right, pushing right on the L-stick is NOT the direction you should be pressing ? Pressing UP makes him run parallel to the LOS to get to the outside. Non aggressive roll of the L-stick to the left will make him turn slowly up the field, aggressive turn will make him turn upfield almost immediately.

The camera angles on Toss plays differ from inside runs so you have to move the L-stick in different directions. Once you get it down you will be getting your 100 yards rushing(with a good back) just playing 3 min quarters.

The game has one of the biggest learning curves I have ever seen in a sports game. Once you get it you will enjoy the game more.

# 184 TombSong @ 08/12/10 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I know bro. I had a game the other night. 15 rush att, 0.3 yards per carry. I had a total of like 5 yards rushing LOL. Most I think I have rushed for since the patch has been around 40 yards

I made a post in the backbreaker forums about how the devs need to inform the community how the attributes work with each position so people can start making rosters that give each player a very distinct feeling.

Until this is understood, the game is gonna have a very vanilla tone to it.

# 185 Phobia @ 08/12/10 03:32 PM
So tomb, do you not agree with the statement that to many run plays are getting slammed into the backfield???

Reason I ask this is because I do NOT touch the stick until I see the hole. Then the RB will cut to the hole. That is not my issue. My issue is that my RB is getting hit almost the instant he is getting the ball LITERALLY 8 to 12 times a game. Which then negates my rushing numbers because far to many -3, -5, -4, -3, -4. Adds up and knocks your total down to hardly any rushing numbers. If I did not get hit as I am receiving the hand off as much then YES maybe so I would average high rushing numbers.

# 186 teambayern @ 08/12/10 04:56 PM
Quote:
So tomb, do you not agree with the statement that to many run plays are getting slammed into the backfield???

Reason I ask this is because I do NOT touch the stick until I see the hole. Then the RB will cut to the hole. That is not my issue. My issue is that my RB is getting hit almost the instant he is getting the ball LITERALLY 8 to 12 times a game. Which then negates my rushing numbers because far to many -3, -5, -4, -3, -4. Adds up and knocks your total down to hardly any rushing numbers. If I did not get hit as I am receiving the hand off as much then YES maybe so I would average high rushing numbers.
Interesting discussion you guys are having. Phobia and Tomb, for a frugal gamer, is it worth the $30 at Best Buy?

# 187 Phobia @ 08/12/10 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teambayern
Interesting discussion you guys are having. Phobia and Tomb, for a frugal gamer, is it worth the $30 at Best Buy?
I say yes. I think the game has its issues which I pointed out. But it is a impressive enough of a tech to warrant playing. Plus the tackles themselves are so amazing and no two games are ever the same. So the replay value is there.

But I think the biggest thing that makes it worth a buy is that it is FUN. There are issues, don't expect a game as polished as NCAA or Madden. But for a year year outing it is well on its way to be a contender.

# 188 TombSong @ 08/12/10 07:37 PM
Quote:

I will 100% agree there is a problem with certain running plays against certain defenses. It seems the DT's are sometimes unblocked when guards are pulling on tosses and sometimes on inside running plays DTs s blow through the line. That should happen now and then but not at the frequency its happening in the game.

# 189 TombSong @ 08/12/10 07:39 PM
Quote:
Only if they are willing to put in the time to learn how to play the game. If they want to play madden then I would not recommend the game. Its a different game. Once you learn what you have to do to play consistent offense and defense, you will have fun in multiplayer games. Single player games your games will vary. Sometimes the cpu plays a nice game. Other times it plays crappy. Its better since the patch but it still needs work.

# 190 Blzer @ 08/12/10 08:20 PM
Quote:

I've been having these issues since the first gameplay videos I've watched, but then there were members (whose names I simply forget) that continually deflected by saying it's different when you finally have the game in your hands. There's a difference between being in control of something and having no control at all, though. There is not a single maneuver that I could make to avoid a tackle when just getting handed the ball.

This is an issue from both sides of the ball, both by the human and CPU players. I'm surprised this wasn't more appropriately addressed in the patch.

# 191 JRod @ 08/12/10 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I've been having these issues since the first gameplay videos I've watched, but then there were members (whose names I simply forget) that continually deflected by saying it's different when you finally have the game in your hands. There's a difference between being in control of something and having no control at all, though. There is not a single maneuver that I could make to avoid a tackle when just getting handed the ball.

This is an issue from both sides of the ball, both by the human and CPU players. I'm surprised this wasn't more appropriately addressed in the patch.

I deleted everything and found the pre-patch running game to be pretty decent. They nerfed something in the patch.

Todd on the boards says he can't replicate the problems people are having. I think some "0" got turned into a "1" some where along the lines making the running game broken.

# 192 Blzer @ 08/12/10 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod
I deleted everything and found the pre-patch running game to be pretty decent. They nerfed something in the patch.

Todd on the boards says he can't replicate the problems people are having. I think some "0" got turned into a "1" some where along the lines making the running game broken.
Like I said, I've had issues since this game came out. I expected them to address these issues in the patch.

# 193 Phobia @ 08/13/10 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod

I agree Jrod, pre-patch I could average 60 to 100+ a game on the ground. The run game felt good pre-patch. The only issue was getting knocked to the turf to easy by teammates. But I am not sure what they changed blocking logic wise post patch to cause these issues.

# 194 allBthere @ 08/13/10 11:03 AM
Quote:
I agree Jrod, pre-patch I could average 60 to 100+ a game on the ground. The run game felt good pre-patch. The only issue was getting knocked to the turf to easy by teammates. But I am not sure what they changed blocking logic wise post patch to cause these issues.
Exactly.

tombsong, I don't know if you are familiar with my posts, but pre-patch I was a running champ! I'm really quite good at running the ball in this game and I'm great at getting extra yards especially to the outside. BUT they nerfed the run game since the patch somehow. I was getting over 100 yards a game on hard pre-patch, and now I'm getting about 40-50 on medium a game.

They also made us have to try and manually get out of stumble which I don't like because it just makes it even harder to have success than it already is.

The friendly fire thing is strange, because it's still an issue up the middle, but even more so outside. If I juke into my own player I explode and I don't remember that happening so much before.

SOMETHING happened along the line that the patch messed with the run game. It's disappointing the developer is denying it or not noticing it because that ensured it won't get 'fixed'. I'd be ecstatic with the pre-patch run game and post patch most everything else. As it stands I'm really enjoying the game, but constantly reminded how I'm missing out in the run game.

# 195 teambayern @ 08/13/10 11:24 AM
Picked it up yesterday, had some fun games. You guys weren't kidding thought when you said online was dead. I thought there'd at least be some people hanging out in a lobby, but alas, no lobbies. If anyone wants a game, let me know.

# 196 Phobia @ 08/13/10 11:37 AM
Quote:
Picked it up yesterday, had some fun games. You guys weren't kidding thought when you said online was dead. I thought there'd at least be some people hanging out in a lobby, but alas, no lobbies. If anyone wants a game, let me know.
Lets play a game this weekend bud

# 197 teambayern @ 08/13/10 12:49 PM
Sounds good! I'll look for you, or let me know if there's a time that works for you.

# 198 Phobia @ 08/13/10 01:06 PM
Quote:
Sounds good! I'll look for you, or let me know if there's a time that works for you.
I will hit you up tomorrow..

# 199 zmcman1 @ 08/13/10 03:11 PM
http://forum.backbreakergame.com/showthread.php?t=9951

I'm going to continue to test it, but it seems to me that plays that have the worst run blocking issues are typically plays that a lineman has to pull. Plays w/o a pull seem to work much more consistently.

# 200 Phobia @ 08/13/10 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmcman1
http://forum.backbreakergame.com/showthread.php?t=9951

I'm going to continue to test it, but it seems to me that plays that have the worst run blocking issues are typically plays that a lineman has to pull. Plays w/o a pull seem to work much more consistently.
Thanks for the heads up bud

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.