Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

2K Sports just posted another NBA 2K11 Developer Insight. This one talks about the expanded playcall system.

Quote:
"All Teams Are Not Created Equal - Each team has a base playbook of at least thirty plays that reflect their coach's philosophy and style of play. The marquis teams also have additional plays available to them that they can run for additional flavor. We created individual sets for teams as well. What this means is that even though two coaches may use a floppy set, their personnel and style may dictate that their floppy set starts differently than that of another team that runs a floppy. Now even if teams run plays that have the same end goal, the look you get from team to team will differ based on how they run it and who they run it with.

If you consider that we have well over 1000 plays across all the current and the old school NBA teams, you will see that, as a User, you have a plethora of options to vary your offense."

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 myownsun @ 09/07/10 03:09 PM
Off to read, thanks for the heads up!

# 2 domidomdomz @ 09/07/10 03:09 PM
thanks! will read it now...

# 3 mikenoob @ 09/07/10 03:10 PM
Seems like a solid improvement, can't wait to see it in action though.

# 4 Toaster @ 09/07/10 03:11 PM
Sounds really promising, waiting for the vid.

Way to stick it to the competition, starting of with the Thunder... LOL

# 5 DETERMINOLOGY @ 09/07/10 03:12 PM
Reading now

# 6 JVal3208 @ 09/07/10 03:12 PM
Woah, you made this topic like 5 seconds after Ronnie tweeted it lol, good stuff.

# 7 jeebs9 @ 09/07/10 03:13 PM
Awesome News!!!!

I love it 1000 plays.... scouting reports for my leagues here I come!!

Flipped plays!!!

# 8 domidomdomz @ 09/07/10 03:14 PM
Quote:
Individualized Plays - Even more exciting is the fact that starters and subs have their own plays. In some cases, like for a Manu Ginobili, that means having a complete set of four new plays, while for a lesser known or skilled sub there may be only one or two available. The nicest part about it is that each play that was created really reflects how the teams try to create for a particular player’s abilities. So, you have sets where Lebron runs point, or where Rip Hamilton is coming off double screens, etc. Portland will utilize plays that have B-Roy running the point, while the Jazz will isolate Deron Williams in the post. Lamar Odom has plays for him to run the offense when he is on the court. Each player is put in the perfect light to do what we all know they do best.
Wow! This is one of my gripes about 2K's playcalling. We only had the ability to assign 4 plays to each position. Now we can assign different plays for each player (not position). Damn!

Hopefully, we can now save our playbooks and use it straight in online games or else, 3 minutes of pause will not be enough for assigning of plays to each players.

# 9 Jano @ 09/07/10 03:15 PM
Nice insight! all I need now is the demo for me to finally confirm my decision. And what's up with the vid being private I wanted to watch Czar break stuff down..

# 10 jeebs9 @ 09/07/10 03:18 PM
^^Me too^^

Video is private!! lol Release...

# 11 JWiLL02 @ 09/07/10 03:20 PM
I'm loving the LB play calling system, once I'm familiar with the play calls I'll be able to set up a play in just seconds, sounds extremely promising!

I've never really felt the need to call plays in previous games. They took too long to set up and guys didn't cut hard enough, pretty much negated any use they should have. The most effective way to play was just to drive and kick and move the defense yourself, though the wonky movement sometimes derailed offensive sets.

Make that video public! I've been dying for some Czar breakdowns, nice touch with OKC as well.

# 12 RipCity71252 @ 09/07/10 03:20 PM
Everything sounds great, especially the piece about being able to run your stuff before all 5 players are set.

Like Rob said, this should really help execution with early offense type teams.

Can't wait to see it in action.

# 13 Jano @ 09/07/10 03:21 PM
Darn gotta wait till 5pm PST for Czar's vid

# 14 idesign2 @ 09/07/10 03:23 PM
Always hated how the plays were mapped to the D pad. Now maybe I'll actually call a few plays during a game!

# 15 Da_Czar @ 09/07/10 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by domidomdomz
Wow! This is one of my gripes about 2K's playcalling. We only had the ability to assign 4 plays to each position. Now we can assign different plays for each player (not position). Damn!
Last year if you moved a starting sg to sf he would have the sf plays. We all complained about that a lot. What they did this year was allow your starters to have their plays assigned to them. So no matter what position they play they will have the same plays.

Then they give you 4 plays to share between each bench position. So for all your bench pg's you have 4 plays that are assigned to them when they check in the game.

Does that make sense ? From what i understand its the closest they could get to plays assigned to individual players in one dev cycle.

# 16 23 @ 09/07/10 03:25 PM
Thanks for the write up Rob

Flipped plays, qiuck plays, players moving faster if the play calls for it

No more D pad plays.. Lamar running the point, Ginobili getting some love

Can you really sat that this isnt a major jump in 2ks playcalling system?...because it is

# 17 Stumbleweed @ 09/07/10 03:28 PM
Sounds like a great improvement, specifically changing the way plays are actually called and the sheer variety/number of plays available... good stuff.

# 18 domidomdomz @ 09/07/10 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Last year if you moved a starting sg to sf he would have the sf plays. We all complained about that a lot. What they did this year was allow your starters to have their plays assigned to them. So no matter what position they play they will have the same plays.

Then they give you 4 plays to share between each bench position. So for all your bench pg's you have 4 plays that are assigned to them when they check in the game.

Does that make sense ? From what i understand its the closest they could get to plays assigned to individual players in one dev cycle.
That makes a lot of sense either. You can only have 2 or 3 bench players at most (oftentimes, only one) with the same position included on the rotation, so yeah it makes sense. I would care less about assigning a specific play for 3rd string guys.

So there will be like 40 plays assigned on the fly, correct?

4 plays for each 5 starters = 20
4 plays for each bench position = 20

EDIT: One clarification, what about a player like Lamar Odom? He's our 6th man and he's a PF, so does that mean Derrick Caracter (PF/C) will also have plays like what Lamar has? Or there will be exception to have specific plays for specific bench players like Lamar, Manu, Jamal Crawford and other superb 6th men?

# 19 Rocboyz101 @ 09/07/10 03:37 PM
Wow, its gonna be fun with phoenix this year..

# 20 domidomdomz @ 09/07/10 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocboyz101
Wow, its gonna be fun with phoenix this year..
Yah! Especially with Turk playing the 4 and Frye at 5. Three pointers will rain.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.