Home
FIFA 11 News Post

The FIFA Soccer 11 demo is available now, please post your impressions here.

Game: FIFA Soccer 11Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 16 - View All
FIFA Soccer 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 therizing02 @ 09/17/10 12:30 PM
Nothing too exciting here but I like the backheel pass from Drogba and Anelka fanning in front of a wide open net....

# 102 cadalyst17 @ 09/17/10 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
Nothing too exciting here but I like the backheel pass from Drogba and Anelka fanning in front of a wide open net....
I gotta say. Those are the little things of FIFA I love! I am not talking about the backheel pass which I loved but the defender appealing with so much emotion to the linesman for an offside which by the way it wasn't. I love that!

# 103 therizing02 @ 09/17/10 01:43 PM
My impressions are minimal at this point because it's very difficult IMO to get a good idea of what's there with 3 minute halves. Great job EA by giving multiple teams and a couple of different stadiums but the braindead decision to have 3 minute halves was ridiculous. I just normally quit before PKs.

I have yet to score a goal through about 20 games on WC(Manual), but it's not a concern because I play a very slow style.

A few positives that I see at this point:

*I really notice a difference in the players. Some are better at first touch, more physical, better dribblers, one touch passers.

*CPU teammates are much more responsive IMO.

*WC level seems to have removed a few of the built in CPU advantages, but again this only on 3 minute halves.

*The game is very physical. I see more fouls and being able to play 15 minute halves and not have an obscene amount of shots.

*The game is more....sloppy(?) which equates to realism and an organic true to life feel. I see the CPU missing a lot of passes as do I. I feel like I need to make a good effort at getting the ball to the midfielders who can control the ball and have good passing ratings like a Fabregas/Pirlo.

*Passing needs to be first priority at least for the USER. When I watch games on the weekend there aren't a lot of dribble runs that go more than 10 yards in a slowed down "half court" type of game. Players who pass...dribble...pass..dribble will be penalized and punished against good defensive teams and they should. Patience seems to be very important.

A couple of challenges:

*Constant forward pressure by CPU. Last year I was able to close down passing lanes well by playing off ball defense. Very difficult to do in this demo. Still looks like the CTT Build Up speed are set too high......again. I've seen many interviews in this dev phase where ping pong passing is mentioned and how they want to get away from that but with a high build up setting for the CPU the game becomes a button mashing arcade mess. Hopefully this can be fixed within the CTT...again.

*The harrassment from the CPU is back. I guess this didn't figure in the Personality+ "feature". The constant pressure, especially from ST/CF/Forwards is just stupid. I hope the final version is better, but I doubt it.

*Does the CPU pass or will they just dribble until I take the ball from them?

# 104 BroMontana82 @ 09/17/10 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins
Nope, and I hope there never are.
thanks for the info.

# 105 RichUT @ 09/17/10 05:28 PM
This is what can happen when you don't clear crosses into the box:

# 106 JRod @ 09/17/10 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
A couple of challenges:

*Constant forward pressure by CPU. Last year I was able to close down passing lanes well by playing off ball defense. Very difficult to do in this demo. Still looks like the CTT Build Up speed are set too high......again. I've seen many interviews in this dev phase where ping pong passing is mentioned and how they want to get away from that but with a high build up setting for the CPU the game becomes a button mashing arcade mess. Hopefully this can be fixed within the CTT...again.

*The harrassment from the CPU is back. I guess this didn't figure in the Personality+ "feature". The constant pressure, especially from ST/CF/Forwards is just stupid. I hope the final version is better, but I doubt it.

*Does the CPU pass or will they just dribble until I take the ball from them?
As to point one, I feel exactly opposite. Last year you could stand in passing lanes all day and it didn't really matter. Well actually standing in passing lanes just meant the CPU diddle'd around with the ball for far too long. Send that f'n ball in or dribble. Ha, that's how I felt with FIFA10.

Last year, I felt even if you were in the passing lanes, they could pass through you. Because tackling isn't the way to beat the CPU, you have to shut down passing and dribbling lanes as well as staying close with the player with the ball.

The final thing is that if a good player as the ball, in real footie, player consistently back off for fear of getting beat. Last year, you just shoulder tackled. This year, and I've never be able to say this about any footie game, I actually have to give ground to good players or they will dribble through me. And I have to be selective when going for the ball.

I think it's more organic this year.

I don't think we'll ever get rid of CPU pressuring. PES and FIFA both do this. It's not realistic as anyone who watches soccer will attest. But the programmers don't ever really design this part of the game right.

# 107 instantpop @ 09/17/10 11:46 PM
Starting to see more glimpses of the different player styles, so I'm hoping it's more apparent when I can play with longer halves. Drogba is an absolute force when he has the ball - muscling guys off the ball to keep possession. On the flip side, Messi just made Frank Lampard look like an idiot. It's the first time I've seen the CPU do a move other than the spin. Messi had the ball by the end line and just kept flipping it back and forth and round his heels to keep Lampard frozen. It was fantastic to watch and made it feel really good when I was finally able to take the ball of of him

On another note, what's the 'Net Tension' option all about? Is it purely cosmetic? I'm hoping there's a setting in there somewhere that allows me to get that 'ping' sound from the World Cup game back. It was a minor little detail, but it made scoring a goal feel so much better when you heard the net smack against the metal of the frame.

# 108 stmark @ 09/18/10 03:04 AM
The fifa 11 demo is great loving the game. i just hope they can space the midfield a bit more in the final or via patch and also real back the defensive pressure a bit also i want to see more of a build up by the cpu attack ...definately loving the personality plus no matter how little is shown because of the length of time given to play

# 109 Other Guy @ 09/18/10 10:17 AM
There's a lot of really good improvements in the demo. Ball physics are improved and teammate AI seem seems a little better finally. Overall though, the game still has that "fast break, basketball on grass, ping pong, tacklefest" feeling to it. The CPU still applies way too much pressure all over the pitch and they still won't pass the ball back or have any semblence of buildup play.

# 110 Bruins @ 09/18/10 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Guy
Overall though, the game still has that "fast break, basketball on grass, ping pong, tacklefest" feeling to it. The CPU still applies way too much pressure all over the pitch and they still won't pass the ball back or have any semblence of buildup play.
I blame it on 3-minute halves.

# 111 instantpop @ 09/18/10 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins
I blame it on 3-minute halves.
Me too. One of the best things I ever did with FIFA 10 (and World Cup for that matter) was change the half length to 10 minutes. Completely changes the game and gets rid of that fast break feeling.

# 112 therizing02 @ 09/18/10 06:47 PM

# 113 rckabillyRaider @ 09/18/10 08:21 PM
the second goal is what really bothers me about FIFA. It's way too easy to dispossess your opponent and usually leads to a one on one with the GK. I hope they fix that soon.

# 114 Moses Shuttlesworth @ 09/18/10 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
the second goal is what really bothers me about FIFA. It's way too easy to dispossess your opponent and usually leads to a one on one with the GK. I hope they fix that soon.
Agreed. When stuff like that happens and I play with my friends we give a goal back.

# 115 JRod @ 09/19/10 12:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Shuttlesworth
Agreed. When stuff like that happens and I play with my friends we give a goal back.
FIFA's problem isn't so much the attackers are able to take away the ball. They should because defenders are defenders for a reason. The problem is the AI needs to get rid of it knowing that it can't hold onto the ball.

# 116 Flightwhite24 @ 09/19/10 01:24 AM
I've never bought a soccer game before but this game has me intrigued. I played the demo tonight and I REALLY LIKED it.

Need a little advice about the learning curve. I understand the game and how it is played in general and really want to get into getting a soccer game this year. Would this be a good choice?

# 117 sva91 @ 09/19/10 02:49 AM
Finally got to play the PS3 demo.. and I gotta say I'm pretty impressed.

I've always enjoyed soccer games much more on the 360... the controls just seem much tighter, a little more fluid. With that being said, the game just feels much more organic as some people on here have stated. There are more loose balls, you now have full control of the defenders when a ball is being passed(before, the defender would automatically run straight to the back of the player receiving the ball), now you have more freedom in every aspect of the game.

Its still a bit hectic at times, but much like real soccer, you sometimes just have to make the easy back pass or shield the ball for a second to open things up. I think once you realize that you don't have to attack all the time, you'll really start to appreciate it. That and extend the half length by a good 4-5 minutes. I have yet to play PES, so I can't compare, but this game is really good.

# 118 phillyfan23 @ 09/19/10 03:15 AM
played world cup 2010 world class level and it was a great experience. Almost everything was good and in general, it was the most fun and realistic soccer game i've ever played. this coming from a huge and loyal PES fan.

Tried the demo last nite, and world class level has taken a step back IMO. The cpu gets disposessed way too easily so there's no risk and reward. WC2010, if you overpursue, they will make you pay, but the cpu AI at least on WC level is a lot clumsier in fifa 11. Also, i've seen LESS overlapping by cpu DMs and Wingbacks than WC 2010. My one complaints pre-wc2010, was that fifa games , the cpu scoring was done 95 percent by the forwards/AMs and very very rare the Dms contributed in the run of play. It was fixed completely in wc 2010, but is this yet again a problem in fifa 11 ? I hope not, but my first impression says it very well could be.

I'm going to play more and judge, but my first impressions from fifa 11: not so enthused.

ALso, whatever happened to personality +......all my players have the same pass accuracy feel and if there is a difference, it reall couldn't be felt. I wanna really eel the difference between a Xavi/Pirlo versus Gattuso/Ferdinand passing wise.....

maybe legendary level is the holy grail, but i don't know....fifa\s highest levels usually yield suspect gameplay in terms of cpu boosts and such.

# 119 AndyP @ 09/19/10 07:11 AM
I like the improvements and the attempt to hit some of the cheesy stuff that was detrimental to the online experience last year. I wanted to see a greater fatigue hit for those who play aggressive the entire game and the opportunity to better focus on a player that I want to pass to when taking a free kick - quite often the AI will still pick out the wrong player even if you look in that direction. Why can't I turn 360 degrees when taking a free kick as well ? and no quick throw-ins ? But apart from that I love it.

# 120 bigeastbumrush @ 09/19/10 08:45 AM
I feel like there's alot more "liveliness" of the ball around the goalie. In other words, the ball doesn't just suction into the goalie's hands.

Real Madrid scored an easy one on my when my goalie didn't scoop up the ball.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.