Home
Pro Evo 2011 News Post

The Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 demo is available now. Please post your impressions here.

Game: Pro Evolution Soccer 2011Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 ezio @ 09/16/10 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
Hey guys how can I download this demo for 360? I made a japanese account a while back, do I need to make a euro one?
Yes I believe so. Although the Winning Elven demo was on the Japanese store for the ps3 so you might find it there for the 360.

# 62 Texas Ace @ 09/16/10 03:19 PM
Ok, here are my impressions on the PES and FIFA demos.

First, I am surprised at the similarities of the two. They both are very fast on default, the passing feels pretty similar although I think PES is a little more realistic and gives you more pinpoint control.

They both have the cpu surrounding your players quickly and neither gives you a lot of time to maintain the ball with one player.

With that said, I've played 3 gull games of PES and about 1 hr of FIFA.

I can't make up my mind just yet. Maybe I just haven't nailed down the intricacies of PES 2011 yet, but the players feel a little too clunky for me right now. I understand not wanting to allow all players the ability to stop and start and turn whenever they choose, but I feel like it's a little too overdone and something as simple as cutting back in another direction seems to be too difficult for even the skilled players.

The build up in moving the ball in PES is fantastic and definitely better than FIFA.

I had high hopes for this PES because I miss certain things about the game that FIFA has never been able to implement as good as PES did in its PS2 glory years.

There are certain aspects that they've always nailed that FIFA didn't quite get right even with their last 2 games that have been great.

One is the variety and randomness of play and goal scoring opportunities, and the other is the shooting. In FIFA, I don't really feel like I have any real power behind a shot. Everything just kind of floats in, especially when shooting outside of the box. PES always made you feel like you were really smashing the ball if you had a guy like a Steven Gerrard.

I do think that FIFA has improved on the shooting as I do see some balls being stricken with more authority and I think the build up to scoring is a bit more varied than it was in 09 and 10 where I felt like everything went through the center forward.

I am very surprised at how good the FIFA 11 demo is and I wasn't expecting that.

BUt I'll keep playing PES until I feel like I've got it down pat before I make my final decision. I thought it was certain to be a PES year for me, but it looks like I have a tough decision on my hands now.

Anyway, sorry for the rant guys.....those are my impressions.

Oh, and BTW......I don't like that PES changed the camera view to one that is more similar to FIFA's. I always liked the PES camera more and how the characters were bigger. I don't dislike this camera view, I just liked the original PES camera better and I hate to see it changed.

# 63 Texas Ace @ 09/16/10 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ace
I can't make up my mind just yet. Maybe I just haven't nailed down the intricacies of PES 2011 yet, but the players feel a little too clunky for me right now. I understand not wanting to allow all players the ability to stop and start and turn whenever they choose, but I feel like it's a little too overdone and something as simple as cutting back in another direction seems to be too difficult for even the skilled players.
Ok, after playing another game of PES, I wanted to expand on this a little bit more and with a little more detail so you guys could understand what it is I am trying to say.

I think that it takes way too long for players to establish themselves with the ball. Even a skilled player like Messi takes too long to receive a pass, control it, and then move in a desired direction.

This is especially true when being pressured. With the cpu defenses quickly collapsing on you, it makes this even more of a problem. When I receive the ball and have a cpu defender coming straight at me, my initial reaction is to turn in an opposite direction to shield the ball and then quickly move away from him to buy me some space.

But again, this entire process takes so long that the cpu defender ends up taking the ball away from me in most cases.

It just feels really clunky.

The other thing is passing. I hate how I have to look EXACTLY at a guy to pass it to him most of the time. If I'm on a run and I have two guys in the same general area, it almost never goes to the guy I intend it to go to.

I understand not wanting to allow players to have their back to the desired pass recipient while still being able to make a perfect pass because that isn't realistic. But if I have a man all alone in space and I aim in his general direction the ball shouldn't go wide because I'm not aiming EXACTLY to the spot he is standing in. That's just silly.

Now, before anyone tells me about realism, I want you to know that realism is my #1 detail I look for in football games.

It's the reason why I played PES over FIFA on PS2, and why I've gone back to FIFA the last 2 years.

I don't think it has anything to do with realism, I just think both ideas were great in theory but ending up being poorly implemented into the game.

I really hope I'm wrong and that I simply don't have this game down yet, so if any of you have any suggestions, please feel free to share them.

I had really high hopes for PES this year so it would be extremely disappointing to me if these things don't improve and end up being a game killer for me.

# 64 Dazraz @ 09/16/10 05:47 PM
FIFA for me. PES has no atmosphere & is not as smooth as FIFA.

# 65 swaldo @ 09/16/10 06:29 PM
I played both demos (PS3) and it's PES for me thus far. FIFA was more physical, it seems in PES it's hard to pressure or slide tackle because the CPU always passes the ball before I get there (even if I'm coming up behind him where he can't see me.) However, I've only played a couple games and still getting used to the sytem. But overall the flow of PES was more realistic and enjoyable, and my defenders weren't stupid.

My first goal was great. I noticed there was some jostling over a deflected pass and saw the ball squirt towards a teammate. So I snuck in between Puyol and Abidal & had a hunch so I rushed toward the goal. I looked back and coming my way was a perfectly timed pass right at my feet in stride, YES! I thought I was offsides but I went through the motions anyway and scored a knarly goal but there was no whistle. Looked at the replay and I was inches from being offsides, a perfectly executed play and the D didn't stand a chance. After that I watched the replay for like 20 minutes from a whole bunch of different angles.

I won 1-0 and there was a good mix of possession and off/def balance. Hopefully that will hold up in the retail version because some of the past interations of PES was all offense. Overall though a great game and not much to complain about.

# 66 Orange Juice @ 09/16/10 07:59 PM
Im sorry fellas but I dont feel as though the passing is as good as everyone is making it out to be. Sometimes I will aim a pass at someone right next to me and it will go past him to the person next to him. Like for example say Im on the ball with Dani Alves, I aim a pass to Iniesta in the midfield, and the pass will just go past him to Villa on the wing (this is assuming you havent changed the starting lineups). Now I understand not every pass is going to be accurate and I expect that, but I really cant pass to a guy who is literally right next to me? When this happens, It feels as though the game is choosing who you pass too, instead of you choosing. If this is the case then I dont see the freedom in that. But then again, Im still very new to this game and how it plays, so maybe its more of an error on my part than the game.

Is anyone else here having this problem also? Or if you know what Im doing wrong here can U give me a heads up? Im really looking for an alternative to Fifa so I dont want to give up on this game. Maybe if u guys know some tutorials somewhere u can refer to me thatd be great. Anyways thnx fellas.

# 67 South318 @ 09/16/10 08:04 PM
Why am I not seeing the PES 2011 demo on PSN?

# 68 Whitesox @ 09/16/10 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Juice
Im sorry fellas but I dont feel as though the passing is as good as everyone is making it out to be. Sometimes I will aim a pass at someone right next to me and it will go past him to the person next to him. Like for example say Im on the ball with Dani Alves, I aim a pass to Iniesta in the midfield, and the pass will just go past him to Villa on the wing (this is assuming you havent changed the starting lineups). Now I understand not every pass is going to be accurate and I expect that, but I really cant pass to a guy who is literally right next to me? When this happens, It feels as though the game is choosing who you pass too, instead of you choosing. If this is the case then I dont see the freedom in that. But then again, Im still very new to this game and how it plays, so maybe its more of an error on my part than the game.

Is anyone else here having this problem also? Or if you know what Im doing wrong here can U give me a heads up? Im really looking for an alternative to Fifa so I dont want to give up on this game. Maybe if u guys know some tutorials somewhere u can refer to me thatd be great. Anyways thnx fellas.
If he is right next to you, then a very slight tap is required. It is really easy to overpower passes, just part of the passing learning curve.

# 69 ezio @ 09/16/10 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox
If he is right next to you, then a very slight tap is required. It is really easy to overpower passes, just part of the passing learning curve.
^^^^ this. Just dont tap it that hard. Give yourself time to get used to the passing. It takes time but once you do it is a thing of beauty IMO.

# 70 stmark @ 09/16/10 08:55 PM
for some reason i cant get into pes at all maybe i'm just not use to it ..

# 71 billmatic @ 09/16/10 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by South318
Why am I not seeing the PES 2011 demo on PSN?
Unless you're a gold member or whatever the hell it's called, you need to setup a Euro account and download it from the Euro PSN store. Otherwise you have to wait til next week I believe.

# 72 rckabillyRaider @ 09/16/10 10:36 PM
I gave in and downloaded the ps3 version. Couple of things I noticed:

1. I think speed at 0 is fine. Feels like the equivalent of FIFA's "slow". I tried speed at -1 and it feels a bit too slow and makes the shots even more lob like. Which brings me to my other issue I am noticing.

2. The shots looked and felt better in pes2010. The shots have a lob or float feel to them. I haven't really seen a rocket type shot. Hopefully they fix that for the retail version.

Everything else is so good though. The strategy involved is top notch and the game plays out like a real soccer match.

# 73 Orange Juice @ 09/17/10 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezio
^^^^ this. Just dont tap it that hard. Give yourself time to get used to the passing. It takes time but once you do it is a thing of beauty IMO.
Thnx for the tips. Im starting to get the hang of this more. I was used to the Fifa passing but now I see PES passing is much more sensitive.

Now how about crosses? A few times I've tried to cross into the box but it was blasted clear to the other side and out of bounds. A few of those times though there was really nobody in the box so Im assuming thats why it flew out of bounds. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?

EDIT- Ok now Im getting the hang of the passing! This game is growing on me the more I get familiar with the controls and the feel of the game. Also using custom controls and being able to switch the turbo to R2 is making things feel more natural for me. Seems to be a really good game so far!

# 74 BrianFifaFan @ 09/17/10 05:05 AM
Just got done playing a 40 minute match with the demo expander. Got it running at 100p, and all I can say is that I love this game. Finally am getting used to playing sideways (still hate it ) and now I am able to keep possesion and get some shots on goal. I just lost 2-1 with me as Barca, and it was a battle all of the way. I'm still not that great at D, so Munich was able to get 18 shots on my goal. I put 11 on theirs, 8 on target. Finally broke through with Messi in the 81, only to give one up to Klose in the 87th. Dang...

I do love the back and forth of the game, givng up possession like you do in the real sports. I'd think I had something going, only to have a last second tackle spoil it. I like how the new tricks create space. I had a few one on ones where I could break my man down, couldn't really create those moments in Fifa. With some more knowledge of the new gameplay, I think I could really have some fun building up realistic scoring scenarios. My only complaint is that it seems there is a pretty big lag in Defensive switching, they need Fifa's RS D switch. Overall, loving it more the more I play it. Did I say this game is graphically the best erver? 42" of pure buttery smooth photo-realistic soccer! Man, I'm loving it. Come on full game!

# 75 Qb @ 09/17/10 08:38 AM
Only played a few games last night, so I'm not going to give any kind of detail in my impressions right now. All I will say is it's definitely a big step up from the last two years. Looking forward to putting some more time in with it.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I could get sprint & jockey on the same buttons they're on in FIFA. Also the auto-switch is killing me. I tried to change both of these without success, but perhaps I overlooked something. Anyone?

# 76 Bahnzo @ 09/17/10 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Only played a few games last night, so I'm not going to give any kind of detail in my impressions right now. All I will say is it's definitely a big step up from the last two years. Looking forward to putting some more time in with it.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I could get sprint & jockey on the same buttons they're on in FIFA. Also the auto-switch is killing me. I tried to change both of these without success, but perhaps I overlooked something. Anyone?
I can't find a way to change the auto-switch either, and that is annoying. I hope this isn't something that is left out of the full game.

I've only had time to play 3-4 games, but initial impression is impressive. Passing is great and really forces you to play a real soccer game. You can't just break up and down the field like that other soccer game.

# 77 Tomba @ 09/17/10 09:32 AM
yeah tried to get on and thought you get one month free gold so i could DL the PES demo but NOPE.

Hopefully they lift the exclusivity by next week i really wanna compare.

Broadcast cam's forever!

# 78 poster @ 09/17/10 09:38 AM
Is manual passing turned on in the demo, or is there a place to turn it on? (PC Demo)

# 79 ezio @ 09/17/10 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
I can't find a way to change the auto-switch either, and that is annoying. I hope this isn't something that is left out of the full game.

I've only had time to play 3-4 games, but initial impression is impressive. Passing is great and really forces you to play a real soccer game. You can't just break up and down the field like that other soccer game.
To change the switching go into select sides and then hit square on the ps3. Change it to semi-assisted.

# 80 ezio @ 09/17/10 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Juice
Now how about crosses? A few times I've tried to cross into the box but it was blasted clear to the other side and out of bounds. A few of those times though there was really nobody in the box so Im assuming thats why it flew out of bounds. Is this correct or am I doing something wrong?
Crosses are also more sensitive this year as well so you don't want to hold down too long. Also be aware of who your crossing with because it does make a difference IMO. As an example there were a few time where I tried to cross with Abidal and it was awful

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.