Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

IGN has just posted their MLB 11 The Show preview. They talk about the new analog controls, balks and more control.

Quote:
"The Show 11 features analog control for batting, pitching and fielding, which basically means every major mechanic in the game is controllable with the right analog stick. For batting, you'll pull back the right stick to begin the backswing and then push it forward to swing through a pitch. You can angle the stick to the left or the right to handle inside and outside pitches, while the game will automatically adjust to pitch height for you. To check swing, just let off the stick before pushing it all the way up.

Pitching works like a combination of batting and fielding. You'll still pick the pitch type with face buttons then use a cursor to adjust pitch location. Once you're ready to throw, you'll set and go into your windup by pulling back on the stick and then push it forward, either favoring the left of the right side of the plate to shade the pitch a little more. Setting before you pitch is more important in The Show 11. Sony has included balks for the first time in the series, so don't try to quick pitch with runners on base."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Joey @ 12/16/10 11:59 AM
I like the sound of this:

"Because of the addition of player skill in each throw, Sony has taken out random computer errors in fielding. Every error that happens on defense in MLB 11 is the result of player error instead of random probability."

Once I adjust to analog fielding I'm thinking I'll really like it. I also like how they say the margin for error will be greater on a player with lower defensive ratings.

# 22 nemesis04 @ 12/16/10 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey

"Because of the addition of player skill in each throw, Sony has taken out random computer errors in fielding. Every error that happens on defense in MLB 11 is the result of player error instead of random probability."

Once I adjust to analog fielding I'm thinking I'll really like it. I also like how they say the margin for error will be greater on a player with lower defensive ratings.
I think this is something everyone has been wanting for a long time. More control put into the users hand!

# 23 DieHardYankee26 @ 12/16/10 12:07 PM
I can see how this analog control would eliminate the randomness in throwing errors, but what about fielding errors? What decides those?

# 24 nemesis04 @ 12/16/10 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardYankee26
I can see how this analog control would eliminate the randomness in throwing errors, but what about fielding errors? What decides those?
Well hopefully ratings are broken down more so fielders could be better represented as far as the better and poorer ones.

# 25 SoxFan01605 @ 12/16/10 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey

Bingo. Just what I was hoping for.

Plus balks and full day/night cycles is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN Review
The Sony rep never seemed to run out of "one more thing" to show me.
These reviewers are starting to gush like we do about SCEA...lol...but it's so true. Seriously, way to go guys!

# 26 SoxFan01605 @ 12/16/10 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Well hopefully ratings are broken down more so fielders could be better represented as far as the better and poorer ones.
I hope so as well. I would love to see SCEA do what 2K did and have a rating for each position so utility players, etc are better represented and you can't just plug guys anywhere. I'm also hoping that, with balks added, there is some type of pickoff rating as well.

Then there are my usual hopes of L/R splits for pitchers and some type of gap pwr/doubles rating.

# 27 HustlinOwl @ 12/16/10 12:19 PM
analog controls a demo is definitely necessary this year

# 28 Eman5805 @ 12/16/10 12:21 PM
New player models? First I've heard of it. Can't wait to see some video now.

# 29 Bat @ 12/16/10 12:56 PM
So excited! I love they added analog controls! Sounds like the hitting method is good too. Not like the weird hitting scheme in 2k.

I am more pumped for this game than I have been for one in a long time! Best reason (and the reason I bought one) to own a Ps3.

One thing... How do you not show Felix in the video?????!

# 30 nemesis04 @ 12/16/10 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsleadtheway
This and then they said this:

"Player stats also factor into all aspects of analog control so if you've got a Gold Glover and throw to first but only got to the yellow region in the throwing meter, there's a good chance the throw will still be true. However, if you've got a lousy fielder and land in the yellow there's a higher probability of throwing an error."

In some ways the two statements contradict each other, but I am getting the impression that user control has more influence than ratings. What do you guys think? Any improvements to the fielding system are music to my ears.
I think what he is saying is that a good fielder would have a larger area for accuracy on the meter and a poorer fielder would have less of an area for accuracy meaning there would be a higher chance for an error to occur for the latter if you are not too accurate with the right stick.

# 31 El_MaYiMbE @ 12/16/10 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsleadtheway
This and then they said this:

"Player stats also factor into all aspects of analog control so if you've got a Gold Glover and throw to first but only got to the yellow region in the throwing meter, there's a good chance the throw will still be true. However, if you've got a lousy fielder and land in the yellow there's a higher probability of throwing an error."

In some ways the two statements contradict each other, but I am getting the impression that user control has more influence than ratings. What do you guys think? Any improvements to the fielding system are music to my ears.

Not really contradicting, but I see what they mean. If you have a lousy fielder you better make sure you get it in the green. That wont be random any more, if you're in green you're ok. If you land in red or yellow it is your fault (not you in particular but you know).

I like it! Alot of times I felt I got random throwing errors just because "I was due". Now I feel that I will monitor more WHO I am throwing with.

# 32 JT92 @ 12/16/10 01:55 PM
This is looking good. Thanks for posting it.
Quote:
Every error that happens on defense in MLB 11 is the result of player error instead of random probability.
I like that.

# 33 Russell_SCEA @ 12/16/10 02:09 PM
Quote:
I think what he is saying is that a good fielder would have a larger area for accuracy on the meter and a poorer fielder would have less of an area for accuracy meaning there would be a higher chance for an error to occur for the latter if you are not too accurate with the right stick.

This we will explain the feature in detail when the blog for analog throwing is posted.

# 34 Drew127 @ 12/16/10 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
was just about to post this

YES!....if it's what I think it is...starting a game at 1pm.....getting into xtra innings and have the night mode kick in!
I'm hoping this means there can now be games that start in the late afternoon, like in the playoffs...west coast games that start at 8 PM eastern time but really there it's 5 PM so there's deep shadows on the field. Now THAT would be cool.

# 35 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/16/10 02:54 PM
Quote:
Pfft.......Knight does not even play the game he is too busy fiddling with rosters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
He tried that!!!
Ask him the result of Game 1!!!
Even my feeble MoM fingers k'ed his a !!

M.K.
Knight165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
True story!
Quote:
One lies the other swears! Two Met fans in a pea pod!

Knight any time you would like to challenge I am always open to some fungo's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Haha....where's the snail pic?

M.K.
Knight165

Just for you Knight my man ... he will be missed! *sniff*

Spoiler

On Topic:
Great read, love the part about errors and balks!!!

# 36 capnharry @ 12/16/10 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
This we will explain the feature in detail when the blog for analog throwing is posted.
Quick question: Where will the blogs mentioned regarding analog fielding, stadium ambiance/lighting, etc. be posted? Will they be here or the Playstation forums?? Can't wait to hear more info! Thanks in advance!

# 37 Jr. @ 12/16/10 03:17 PM
I've been waiting for The Show to use the hitting system from the MVP NCAA series (although that got a bit easy once you got the hang of it). I'm a little worried about the analog throwing system if diving/jumping catches are used with the analog still, too. I can see diving for a ball with the right stick and holding it a bit too long and immediately going into the throw meter to the wrong base. I guess I'll have to learn to just flick the right stick rather than jam it in the direction I want

# 38 nemesis04 @ 12/16/10 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnharry
Quick question: Where will the blogs mentioned regarding analog fielding, stadium ambiance/lighting, etc. be posted? Will they be here or the Playstation forums?? Can't wait to hear more info! Thanks in advance!
Usually they are posted here first:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/

Then someone usually will post a link to here on the forums.

# 39 capnharry @ 12/16/10 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnharry
Also, and I'm sure this will be covered in the aforementioned blog, I wonder how analog throwing will work in regards to outfielders as far as throwing to the cut-off.

# 40 capnharry @ 12/16/10 03:23 PM
Quote:
Usually they are posted here first:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/

Then someone usually will post a link to here on the forums.
Great thanks Nem!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.