Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

IGN has just posted their MLB 11 The Show preview. They talk about the new analog controls, balks and more control.

Quote:
"The Show 11 features analog control for batting, pitching and fielding, which basically means every major mechanic in the game is controllable with the right analog stick. For batting, you'll pull back the right stick to begin the backswing and then push it forward to swing through a pitch. You can angle the stick to the left or the right to handle inside and outside pitches, while the game will automatically adjust to pitch height for you. To check swing, just let off the stick before pushing it all the way up.

Pitching works like a combination of batting and fielding. You'll still pick the pitch type with face buttons then use a cursor to adjust pitch location. Once you're ready to throw, you'll set and go into your windup by pulling back on the stick and then push it forward, either favoring the left of the right side of the plate to shade the pitch a little more. Setting before you pitch is more important in The Show 11. Sony has included balks for the first time in the series, so don't try to quick pitch with runners on base."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 141 AtlBraves09 @ 12/18/10 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo Bandit
I hope the analog hitting isn't like the college MVP game that came out a few years back. I hated that.
-The awesome thing about these guys is that they never take away previous options. If you find it's something you don't like you can always go back. But, have an open mind, don't expect it to work the same way it did back then when you didn't like it, they have probably been working on it for quite a while.

# 142 Joey @ 12/18/10 10:13 PM
I'm with you, I HOPE it's like NCAA was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealyerface
I loved it. If you held back too soon, the controller buzzed and your guy was all out of whack with his tempo.

If you waited too long, you flailed miserably at the ball and were late with the swing.

When you timed the cadence to a smooth pull, hesitate, and swing through, the contact was so rewarding, it felt like you earned it.

Plus, if you don't like it, just play with the buttons.

syf

# 143 Polo Bandit @ 12/18/10 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
What did you dislike about it?
I could never figure it out. Over about 100 games that I played I had a .250 batting average. I'll give it a try with the new game, but if it takes too much of a learning curve I'm going back to the old fashioned hitting system.

# 144 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/19/10 12:14 AM
Quote:
I could never figure it out. Over about 100 games that I played I had a .250 batting average. I'll give it a try with the new game, but if it takes too much of a learning curve I'm going back to the old fashioned hitting system.
And that is the beauty of this series... You always have your options!

# 145 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/19/10 12:14 AM
Quote:
Correct!

I believe strength and accuracy would be determined in your movement of the right stick towards first. With strength filling up as you moved the right stick towards first. The length at witch you held it there would determine how much strength. I believe your initial move with the stick towards the base would snap shot your accuracy of the throw. Ramone said there would be a tutorial on this later on. I am speculating on some of this based on the previews.

Theoretically if you put more effort behind the pitch you should get more snap to it.
That is pretty much how I understand it as well!

# 146 Rod_Carew29 @ 12/19/10 12:35 AM
BALKS!!! Another 'Thank God'!!!!

I've missed it in the baseball games I've bought, since ASB......

Quote:
Somebody order balks?

# 147 Rod_Carew29 @ 12/19/10 12:39 AM
Exactly, I'm staying with the regular hitting option....

Dont know if this new hitting option is like what EA Sports introduced when that College Baseball game was released about 5 years ago...but if it is...and by the number of people who complained about it on the board, back then...I wont be using it. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlBraves09
-The awesome thing about these guys is that they never take away previous options. If you find it's something you don't like you can always go back. But, have an open mind, don't expect it to work the same way it did back then when you didn't like it, they have probably been working on it for quite a while.

# 148 Rod_Carew29 @ 12/19/10 12:44 AM
Exactamente!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
You have option to play like it was last year. This is the ALTERNATIVE.

# 149 Rod_Carew29 @ 12/19/10 12:52 AM
preloading a throw............

Again...you're on point for the current game, which some of us are still playing....

you have a runner on first and you're hoping to get the pitcher to induce the hitter to hit a grounder (5-4-3 DP)...the batter raps one to third, about a millisecond before he gets it, the 'triangle' button (2nd base) should already had been pressed and....for that split second before second baseman fires onto first, the 'circle' button (1st base) would have been pressed.....

Double play and the side is retired! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
SCEA didn't exactly reinvent the wheel here guys, pre-loaded throws were in last years game too with buttons. I don't see much of a difference between this year and last year (aside from analog).

I hope everyone has been pre-loading their throws because throwing flat footed everytime looks UGLY on routine ground balls, and takes alot longer on things like doubleplays and bang bang plays.

# 150 Polo Bandit @ 12/19/10 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod_Carew29
BALKS!!! Another 'Thank God'!!!!

I've missed it in the baseball games I've bought, since ASB......
I think High Heat had balks. Also, I hope this means there's an option for canceling a throw. So many times I hit the wrong button out of panic.

# 151 Rod_Carew29 @ 12/19/10 08:33 AM
I got one of the Hight Heat games....I'm not sure
but I'm SURE ASB had it---you'd hear the ump yell 'balk'. I still got a vision of trying to nail this guy at first in a game where it rained the entire time.

Back then, the way I remember it, there really was no way to hit the wrong button per se...as it was just one that you used....that was 6 or 7 years ago though. We'll see in a few though

Quote:
I think High Heat had balks. Also, I hope this means there's an option for canceling a throw. So many times I hit the wrong button out of panic.

# 152 stealyerface @ 12/20/10 09:01 AM
Has there been any talk of the Confidence aspect of the new analog pitching?

Will pitchers have a more forgiving wedge of influence with their deliveries to the plate if their confidence level is higher?

As the pitcher gets rolling into the game and things are working out there, will the user see some sort of indication that their timing, location, and movement on the ball are indicative of a pitcher really "feeling it"?

I hope so, as I felt this was a great part of this year's game, but I wonder how this could be implemented within the confines of the Analog controls to not make it feel like the integrity of the system is compromised.

syf

# 153 PVarck31 @ 12/22/10 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod_Carew29
preloading a throw............

Again...you're on point for the current game, which some of us are still playing....

you have a runner on first and you're hoping to get the pitcher to induce the hitter to hit a grounder (5-4-3 DP)...the batter raps one to third, about a millisecond before he gets it, the 'triangle' button (2nd base) should already had been pressed and....for that split second before second baseman fires onto first, the 'circle' button (1st base) would have been pressed.....

Double play and the side is retired! LOL
If this is directed at my posts about preloading with the analog stick, im not sure it is, but anyway.....

I am very familiar with how to preload throws in the Show. Im not sure how people got the idea that I wasn't from what I posted.

I was preloading throws before preloading throws was cool.

# 154 metal134 @ 12/22/10 05:50 AM
Will we be able to pull a Bob Wickman and issue an intentional balk?

Just kidding, of course.

# 155 LastActionHero @ 12/22/10 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFX007
Wondering if the colision detection has improved? Can I hit the pitcher in the face and make him get injured? lol Can I hit my guy in fair territory and get an out? And just to make this post more relevent to the topic...can I balk with no one on base and get a ball charged to me?
Well the colission was detected when a ball hit the pitcher, the only problem was they never got injured. It only ended in the neverending quote "And he stays in the game after that! What a gamer!" hahaha.

# 156 Lewis160 @ 12/23/10 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew127
I'm hoping this means there can now be games that start in the late afternoon, like in the playoffs...west coast games that start at 8 PM eastern time but really there it's 5 PM so there's deep shadows on the field. Now THAT would be cool.
Sow this feature would look like the games played in the afternoon for example the yankees and redsox game at 3:45 or 4:00 on a saturday we will be able to see the shadows and not look like its 1pm??

# 157 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/23/10 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis160
Sow this feature would look like the games played in the afternoon for example the yankees and redsox game at 3:45 or 4:00 on a saturday we will be able to see the shadows and not look like its 1pm??
If they allow us to select mid-afternoon games, then yes, the shadows will be more stretched across the field at the start like a late early afternoon game's end. All due to the progressive lighting.

But we do not know if that will be an option.

# 158 brettryantalley @ 12/23/10 09:32 PM
2 things i haven't heard mentioned that i was hoping for are automated counts and a new strike zone. i know there aren't as many fans out there of the automated counts...but i know there's a few of you out there that would like to see the strike zone a little smaller.

# 159 Blzer @ 12/23/10 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettryantalley
2 things i haven't heard mentioned that i was hoping for are automated counts and a new strike zone. i know there aren't as many fans out there of the automated counts...but i know there's a few of you out there that would like to see the strike zone a little smaller.
Amen to the strike zone issue. The size is kind of a negligent issue here though, it's just that we need it to match up with the player's stance. In short, a 6'2" guy batting upright will have the same strike zone as a 6'2" guy batting crouched. That's where the adjustment needs to be made.

Then of course, find that "top" of the strike zone. Maybe no higher than the belly button, por favor.

# 160 brettryantalley @ 12/23/10 10:01 PM
hah...blzer...we've agreed on this in the past...i was wondering how long it would be till you chimed in. i would LOVE to see this addressed. and to go along with it...even more variations as far as bad called balls and strikes.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.