Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

IGN has just posted their MLB 11 The Show preview. They talk about the new analog controls, balks and more control.

Quote:
"The Show 11 features analog control for batting, pitching and fielding, which basically means every major mechanic in the game is controllable with the right analog stick. For batting, you'll pull back the right stick to begin the backswing and then push it forward to swing through a pitch. You can angle the stick to the left or the right to handle inside and outside pitches, while the game will automatically adjust to pitch height for you. To check swing, just let off the stick before pushing it all the way up.

Pitching works like a combination of batting and fielding. You'll still pick the pitch type with face buttons then use a cursor to adjust pitch location. Once you're ready to throw, you'll set and go into your windup by pulling back on the stick and then push it forward, either favoring the left of the right side of the plate to shade the pitch a little more. Setting before you pitch is more important in The Show 11. Sony has included balks for the first time in the series, so don't try to quick pitch with runners on base."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 bcruise @ 12/16/10 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
When I used to play infield (SS, and then moved to 2B after taking a year off...), my coaches relentlessly made us work on the mental aspects of where to throw the baseball, BEFORE the ball was even put in play.

In X situation, if the ball is hit to you quickly, but to your left; throw the ball to base A.

In Y situation, if the ball is hit to you slowly, but to your right; throw the ball to base B.

I love the pre-loading idea. Infielders, especially, know exactly where the ball needs to go as soon as lumber touches ball.

Add the fact that The Show has beautiful animations, and this pre-load stuff makes even that much more sense. It's a very nice addition to next years game, and I can't wait to try it out.
Second this, even though I only played baseball as a little kid I was taught the same thing. That's why they're called "routine" plays - because you're already supposed to know where you're going with the ball before you ever field it.

# 82 PVarck31 @ 12/16/10 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Second this, even though I only played baseball as a little kid I was taught the same thing. That's why they're called "routine" plays - because you're already supposed to know where you're going with the ball before you ever field it.
Well of course you know where you are throwing. And pre-loading works fine with buttons, but isn't the whole analog throwing system used to simulate actually throwing the ball?

# 83 Artman22 @ 12/16/10 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey
I like the sound of this:

"Because of the addition of player skill in each throw, Sony has taken out random computer errors in fielding. Every error that happens on defense in MLB 11 is the result of player error instead of random probability."

Once I adjust to analog fielding I'm thinking I'll really like it. I also like how they say the margin for error will be greater on a player with lower defensive ratings.
I'm so glad they got rid of the random errors. Many of us have asked for years to have user errors only depending on user input. Great stuff!

# 84 Russell_SCEA @ 12/16/10 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31
I have a question for anyone who might have read it, or for someone with the team. With the analog throwing for fielding, the guy from IGN mentioned you had to pre-load your analog throw. I wasn't sure if he meant that you do it as the player is fielding the ball or before the ball gets to the fielder. If its the latter, I can't help but feel that it is a little counter-intuitive.

Just in my opinion, I like the feel that I am actually making the throwing motion when I have the ball in my hand, so to speak.

I was just wondering if anyone might be able to clear this up for me.
Well you don't "have" to pre-load your throws. However if you want the best animations and the smoothest transitions you need to pre-load your throws. This isn't just cosmetic it directly affects gameplay. When you miss your branching points the player will transition into a throw ready animation then he will throw the ball. Doing so could or could not result in a base runner being safe as opposed to being thrown out had you pre-loaded your throw in time.

It's meant to simulate real baseball, fielders know what base they are going to throw to before the ball gets to them. Hence why we want you to pre-load whenever possible.

# 85 PVarck31 @ 12/16/10 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Well you don't "have" to pre-load your throws. However if you want the best animations and the smoothest transitions you need to pre-load your throws. This isn't just cosmetic it directly affects gameplay. When you miss your branching points the player will transition into a throw ready animation then he will throw the ball. Doing so could or could not result in a base runner being safe as opposed to being thrown out had you pre-loaded your throw in time.

It's meant to simulate real baseball, fielders know what base they are going to throw to before the ball gets to them. Hence why we want you to pre-load whenever possible.
I understand what you mean, and that makes sense with the animations. I just wasn't sure how it worked exactly.

Thanks the the answer. I think I was looking a little too deep into it lol.

# 86 El_MaYiMbE @ 12/16/10 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA

SCEA didn't exactly reinvent the wheel here guys, pre-loaded throws were in last years game too with buttons. I don't see much of a difference between this year and last year (aside from analog).

I hope everyone has been pre-loading their throws because throwing flat footed everytime looks UGLY on routine ground balls, and takes alot longer on things like doubleplays and bang bang plays.

# 87 PVarck31 @ 12/16/10 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
SCEA didn't exactly reinvent the wheel here guys, pre-loaded throws were in last years game too with buttons. I don't see much of a difference between this year and last year (aside from analog).

I hope everyone has been pre-loading their throws because throwing flat footed everytime looks UGLY on routine ground balls, and takes alot longer on things like doubleplays and bang bang plays.
Since this post was more or less directed at me, I just wanted to let you know that I am fully aware of what pre-loaded throws are, how they work, and how to use them. My question was how, if at all will this be different, or work differently with analog control in The Show 11.

I got my answer, now lets move on.

# 88 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/16/10 06:01 PM
To add about hitting. If you want as full control as you can with height and inside and out, the game will now have true PCI cursor hitting. That combined with guess pitch no feedback would net the most realistic results, IMO.

Sent from nowhere using Tapatalk

# 89 Skyboxer @ 12/16/10 06:30 PM
Just think of pre-loading as you knowing exactly where you are going before catching the ball due to knowing the situation... So as soon as you get the ball your mind puts your body into the throw.

With no pre-loading it's like catching the ball THEN deciding where to throw the ball. Obviously with the latter there will be a slight delay in throwing the ball.

Even with pre-loading you still are in control of accuracy and strength....

My only question about pre-loading with analog system: Say there's a man on 3rd less than 2 outs.
Ball hit to SS and I preload to 1st just by instinct. Right as I'm preloading I see the runner on 3rd breaking for home. Is there a cancel move and reset to preload to another base?

# 90 rts5002 @ 12/16/10 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Just think of pre-loading as you knowing exactly where you are going before catching the ball due to knowing the situation... So as soon as you get the ball your mind puts your body into the throw.

With no pre-loading it's like catching the ball THEN deciding where to throw the ball. Obviously with the latter there will be a slight delay in throwing the ball.

My only question about pre-loading with analog system: Say there's a man on 3rd less than 2 outs.
Ball hit to SS and I preload to 1st just by instinct. Right as I'm preloading I see the runner on 3rd breaking for home. Is there a cancel move and reset to preload to another base?
great question, i'm interested to hear that also. I know I read that if you press the throw button twice (or motion in this case i guess) then that fakes the throw, so maybe you have to make the second motion to first on the right stick then motion home.

I keep going back and forth reading people's opinions on preloading the throws...I did feel that you had to preload them because if you didn't then the throw meter would be going so quick that the difficulty to stop it in the green would be too much. I'd like to see them use it like they do with the pitching mechanic, where depending on how hard you push it towards the base, that determines the speed of your throw and of the accuracy meter.

No matter how it is, I'm glad to finally see analog fielding make it into the game. I can live without the analog pitching or hitting (although after reading these articles I'm getting pumped for both!) but I have always felt, like many others on here, that the only way to add any sort of skill with fielding is by adding analog fielding. bravo.

# 91 Heroesandvillains @ 12/16/10 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsleadtheway
I really hate when I have to be a stickler with my good pal Hero, but knowing where to go with the ball is completely different than "pre-loading" a throw. You hear all the time about players throwing the ball before making the play. Obviously this is impossible, but what they are referring to is those times that players are gearing up for the throw before they actually have the ball. That is when the routine becomes an error. 9 times out of 10, a fielder will try to make the play, get set, and throw the runner out. Rarely do you see players making a throw on the run. Even when your boy Jeter makes his patented jump throwing backwards play, those extra sets are used to get set for the throw. Nobody in baseball "pre-loads" which is why I hate it. If anything, a preload should be more error prone, not less. I know they say that it is not solely for the animation to kick in, but I can't help but feel that it is.
You hate it in a "you have so much fun loving it while you're hating it" sort of way!!!

I can't disagree with anything in your post. Infielders do make most of their errors when they jump the gun on a throw.

If you look at pre-loading more like a mental commitment, rather than a physical commitment, you've got to admit; what Russell said makes a great deal of sense.

Thus, my real life comparison.

I totally see where you're coming from on this. I guess it just depends from which angle you're looking at it.

# 92 El_MaYiMbE @ 12/16/10 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer

Since they have fake throws I think if you press lets say right (first base) and you change your mind I think I can tap towards first again (twice) and he will fake it to first, then you would have immediately press correct direction. This would actually be cool because it would look like there was some indecision on fielders part, which is true.

I am assuming you would have to do this IF it does not let you change direction on fly.

# 93 bcruise @ 12/16/10 07:04 PM
Quote:
I just realized something. The right stick is used now for diving or leaping. I also use it on grounders down the line. I am guessing this feature will be removed. I really hope I don't throw to third out of habit with my third baseman trying to get that grounder. And for outfielders, I wonder what direction is the cut off man.
Good point....I agree that control will probably be moved back to the R/L triggers only, where it was initially. I wouldn't call it "removed" though, as it would probably still be the same control scheme for non-analog fielding.

I'd hate to preload too early, and dive in front of a slow-rolling grounder, missing the ball completely. I'm sure the SCEA guys have considered this.

# 94 Heroesandvillains @ 12/16/10 07:13 PM
Quote:
I just realized something. The right stick is used now for diving or leaping. I also use it on grounders down the line. I am guessing this feature will be removed. I really hope I don't throw to third out of habit with my third baseman trying to get that grounder. And for outfielders, I wonder what direction is the cut off man.
You know, it's funny...

"What's the cut-off man button?" was one of the first things to cross my mind after reading the ESPN first look article.

Not "Will we get double headers?"

Not, "When will I see my girlfriend after I buy this game?" (Most of my free time will probably be spent learning the new controls! LOL)

It was the cut-off man question. Yeah, I wish I knew why my brain worked this way...(Cards, here's one on a tee for you!)

# 95 Blaise @ 12/16/10 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
You know, it's funny...

"What's the cut-off man button?" was one of the first things to cross my mind after reading the ESPN first look article.

Not "Will we get double headers?"

Not, "When will I see my girlfriend after I buy this game?" (Most of my free time will probably be spent learning the new controls! LOL)

It was the cut-off man question. Yeah, I wish I knew why my brain worked this way...(Cards, here's one on a tee for you!)

I wonder how their going to do that. Wonder if you have to press L1 or R1 then the base.

Also, since their going analog, i wonder if they've slowed the pitch speed any.

Seriously, there are a few games that cause divorce and break up homes in the world, this is going to be one of them.

# 96 Skyboxer @ 12/16/10 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise
I wonder how their going to do that. Wonder if you have to press L1 or R1 then the base.

Also, since their going analog, i wonder if they've slowed the pitch speed any.

Seriously, there are a few games that cause divorce and break up homes in the world, this is going to be one of them.
Probably hold on of the shoulder buttons. Or maybe as simple as clicking down the RS while throwing....

# 97 Skyboxer @ 12/16/10 08:03 PM
Quote:
Sorry but that one is just too easy so I have to pass.

I really hope it is not the R3 click button. I know I would throw to the wrong base every time before getting that click to work. I hate that button
Yeah me too....
Hope it's a shoulder button or trigger hold.

# 98 CabreraMVP @ 12/16/10 08:10 PM
Can some explain what full/day night really progression really is? How is it different from last year? And does it mean that in the summer, games won't be pitch black in the 4th inning anymore? Thanks.

# 99 bp4baseball @ 12/16/10 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabreraMVP
Can some explain what full/day night really progression really is? How is it different from last year? And does it mean that in the summer, games won't be pitch black in the 4th inning anymore? Thanks.
This means a day game that goes long will turn to dark (unlike this year) and a more fluid transition as it turns to night

# 100 MLBCONTRACTGURU @ 12/16/10 08:13 PM
Balks? Finally people will learn how to pitch instead of crying when I early steal on them like I'm "glitching" because they speed pitch with men on trying to get a double play. Thank you. Just please tell me they revamped franchise mode some. 2010 is nearly unplayable beyond 5 years with ANY ROSTER. Hopefully Tommy Manzella wont be making 20 million dollars his first year of arbitration and Matt Weiters will be on the free agent wire. SMH.. If they didnt fix the rosters or do something to fix the problems, then Im counting down until MVP gets MLB rights.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.