Home
Tiger 12 News Post

The Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters demo is available now for the Xbox 360.

UPDATE: The PS3 demo will not arrive until tomorrow at 6:00 PM EST.

UPDATE #2: Contrary to what the facebook page states, the demo is now available on the PS3. Enjoy.

Please post your impressions here.

Quote:
"The long awaited Augusta National Golf Club is now available in the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 12: The Masters demo on Xbox® 360 and PlayStation® 3! Approach the tee box of the famous closing hole during the tournament’s final round in your quest to become the Masters champion and don the Green Jacket. In the “Play Now” setting, live that **** moment and have the first opportunity to play Augusta National’s par-4 18th.

See the distinct Masters experience and hear the iconic voice of long-time Masters announcer, Jim Nantz, throughout the demo. Nantz sets the stage as Tiger Woods charges up the leaderboard in chase of his fifth Green Jacket. Take control of Tiger Woods on the final hole and attempt to be crowned Masters champion, while the all-new commentary team of Nantz, and the always entertaining David Feherty, call the action.

In “Road to the Masters” mode, play holes 1-5 at TPC San Antonio Oaks Course - an all-new course to the Tiger Woods PGA TOUR franchise. Complete the five holes in the demo and jumpstart your career in the full retail version* by bypassing the EA SPORTS™ Amateur Tour and proceeding straight to the Nationwide Tour.

The PlayStation 3 version of the demo will support the PlayStation Move controller to fully replicate an authentic golf swing. Looking for an even more immersive golf interaction? The demo can also be played in True View mode – a first-person vantage point that is new to the PlayStation 3 with the Move controller. Additional information about the Masters Tournament, the all-new career mode, Caddie/Course Mastery, new golfers and courses, and a host of other new features are detailed in the demo. Share the demo with friends to earn additional experience points (XP)."

Source - Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters Blog

Game: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The MastersReader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 15 - View All
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 12: The Masters Videos
Member Comments
# 81 acreyman @ 03/10/11 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bimmer
I have not read through every comment, but I am wondering if Augusta National is involved here.... you can use our course, but figure out a way to get the caddie ( with the all white coveralls) into the game or you cant use it. I mean they want to make this game as authentic as possible, so no caddie takes away from the realism. Maybe true aim and a caddie do not work together, so they had to scrap it for license. Just a thought, hopefully we can use true aim and this post ends up vain.
Dunno, but I sent a link to this forum and the EA TW12 forum to the the guys at Augusta National via their website. Dunno if they will read it but I thought they might be interested in what people are saying so far.

# 82 Gman @ 03/10/11 06:55 PM
This game went from a must buy to I don't know anymore. I cannot stand the caddy feature and feel handcuffed by it. Of all the years to mess with and tinker with the gameplay, EA chooses the year Augusta is finally in it. Last years game was awesome IMO. They should have left well enough alone.

# 83 josef @ 03/10/11 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman
This game went from a must buy to I don't know anymore. I cannot stand the caddy feature and feel handcuffed by it. Of all the years to mess with and tinker with the gameplay, EA chooses the year Augusta is finally in it. Last years game was awesome IMO. They should have left well enough alone.
i totally agree. i just need a Caddie "OFF" menu option. Can't believe they didn't think this through. And I just bought a PS3 and was stoked about this game with the move. ugh.

# 84 D3C4K @ 03/10/11 09:20 PM
From the "Getting Along with Your Caddy" feature, posted as a sticky in this forum on 3/10/11 at 1:10 pm (pulled from the EA Sports blog):

Quote:
There are going to be times however where working with your caddie is going to be a little more complicated than that. You can always ignore him or simply turn off the caddie feature completely. Similarly, there are times where your guy just can’t come up with a shot for you and he’ll tell you so directly: “I got nothing here.” And let’s not forget about those Tiger Woods PGA TOUR fans who don’t need any help and who will take pleasure in actively ignoring his advice; the folks who want to hear his suggestions simply so they can NOT listen to it.

# 85 EPtheKING @ 03/10/11 10:43 PM
AWESOME DEMO!!! going to be an even better game...

# 86 sooner1 @ 03/11/11 02:15 AM
Wow this game just went to a do not buy must rent!!

# 87 supermanemblem @ 03/11/11 09:55 AM
Played the demo. This game went from Beyonce to Bigfoot in six seconds. EA has to have groupthink issues. They are introducing innovation for the sake of being innovative. TW11 was a great game that needed a few tweaks. Not an overhaul of core features that most of the dedicated buyers hate. Peter Moore is behind this I bet and that's why these dumb features are being implemented across all of EA Sports. I hate to wish bad on people but he needs to update his resume.

# 88 OnlookerDelay @ 03/11/11 11:19 AM
Here are my impressions of the XBox 360 demo (I also have a PS3/Move and that version deserves its own set of impressions):

1. Club distances (with Tiger) feel more in step with reality. I don't feel superhuman in the demo.

2. Course graphics are a step.... more naturally "organic" looking

3. Green grid is less intrusive

4. True Aim presentation gives the player a slightly better look at the ball as the True Aim camera follows it a wee bit more aggressively.

5. "Rumble assist" as the default option for Tournament difficulty has to go. It's an aid that negates the added challenge of meterless putting.

6. Swing Camera should hold its position as long as the swing camera's perspective is being held. The rapid drop from a shoulder height swing camera to a knee-high perspective at the moment of impact disturbs the intimacy of the stroke process, especially when putting. The lower angle of the putt from this position deprives the golfer of a proper look at the roll and break of their putt.

7. The Presentation Camera takes away any sense of player perspective, once the ball has been struck. It takes the golf gamer out of the moment at impact. It would be great to have a option to set the point at which the Presentation Camera could be switched from a player perspective camera to a TV broadcast presentation camera. I can't see myself playing the game with the Presentation Camera in effect at all this year. (Then again, I'm sure I'll be playing this game in Tournament difficulty most of the time anyway.)

8. The Caddy feature is a complete annoyance to me. I don't mind it being available to those who like it, but it can't be completely disabled as the "disable caddy" function would suggest. I don't even want to see the caddy suggestion boxes on the bottom of the screen. I'm a minimalist when it comes to HUD information in a golf game when it's being played on its most difficult level.

9. To close on a positive note, it does seem to be more difficulty to nail the distances with TW 12. I think we're seeing the "vertical random landing" component in effect here.

# 89 OnlookerDelay @ 03/11/11 11:28 AM
My PS3/Move demo impressions (the XBox 360 items identified in my previous post also apply here):

I've now played 31 holes with the Move. It is incredibly tough, IMO, but much of it is due to my lack of familiarity with the Move, not the game itself. The best I've shot for 5 holes is 13 over par. I tend to pull hook every full shot. I found that I can hit it straight by holding off my wrist roll, but it goes totally against what I've learned to do with my real golf swing from years of playing. I can get 100% power consistently with the Move, even when I hold off on the rolling of my wrists at the bottom of the downswing.

I do find the actual swing execution to be far more satisfying with the Move than I do with the gamepad, particularly the DS3... I see now why Hori controllers are so popular with PS3 users. I doubt I could break 100 with the DS3. The location and feel of the stick doesn't suit me as well as the 360's wireless controller's and it's also clearly way more sensitive than the 360's controller. The Move gives me a variety of results that are more proportional to my swing errors. I can recognize what type of motion produces what with the Move, even though some of the techniques require me to abandon what I've learned about swinging a golf club in real life.

One thing I can say with no reservations - the Move experience is vastly superior in the punch shot (which I'm using a lot now in the predicaments I find myself in after pull hooking tee shots), pitching, chipping, and especially putting game. The feel there is closer to real life, with putting being eerily similar to real life. I think the putting is so realistic because most player's wrists are locked during the stroke and this interface seems to favor locked wrists. The chipping game would be a lot better of the loft of the club carried the ball to the heights it should go. A lob wedge chip seems to get no more height than a 7 iron chip, for example.

I love the look from the golfer's eyes when putting with the Move and True View in effect. You get to see the entire roll of the ball from the proper height and not jerked down to a knee high camera like you are in every other camera option. The golfer's eye perspective remains in effect for all shots with True View, it's just that is more noticeable while putting. This is a big plus in my book!

I'm glad that I purchased a PS3 and a Move, as I now see the Move interface as the saving grace for this game. EA has already spoken up and said that there has been an additional 3 weeks of tuning that have taken place with the Move since the demo build, and that many of the concerns I and others are raising have already been, or will be addressed.

# 90 fishepa @ 03/11/11 12:20 PM
I played the demo and hated it, unless I'm doing something wrong. Is there anyway to manually aim where I want to hit the ball?

# 91 countryboy @ 03/11/11 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishepa
I played the demo and hated it, unless I'm doing something wrong. Is there anyway to manually aim where I want to hit the ball?
yes. On the PS3, you press up on the D-pad and then it reverts to previous years where you decide where to hit the ball.

I would guess its the same on the 360. Its called Custom on the screen where it shows the caddie's suggestions.

# 92 countryboy @ 03/11/11 01:14 PM
the only problem I have with the caddie is the game showing you exactly where to putt the ball. Unless you miss with the sticks, you'll make the putt.

I have only messed with the default settings, so this may change as you increase the difficulty.

# 93 Eski33 @ 03/11/11 04:53 PM
Finally, an upgrade. The Masters presentation is outstanding. Jim Nantz is excellent. Tiger Woods year over year doesn't add enough for me to warrant a purchase but TW 12 is a day one buy for me.

# 94 Rules @ 03/11/11 07:37 PM
I'm seeing the complaints concerning the caddie. However, I think the Move negates all of that as I am all over the place with it.

# 95 josef @ 03/11/11 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
I'm seeing the complaints concerning the caddie. However, I think the Move negates all of that as I am all over the place with it.
i feel the same way.. i read all the complaints but when i actually play it, i think it's nice to have a caddie give you a few options. and when i get the move, i'm sure i'll actually Need to take the safe play at times. i'm pretty sure i'm buying this on day one.

although, i'm still hoping the option will be there to make the caddie go away completely once my skills on the move get better..

# 96 rmcguire @ 03/11/11 10:17 PM
playing with the move...any recommendations for the camera setup I have my TV in my entertainment center, then the camera on top of the entertainment center....all of my drives seem to go left even when the club head is directed center or right.

thanks

# 97 Bighoff @ 03/12/11 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcguire
playing with the move...any recommendations for the camera setup I have my TV in my entertainment center, then the camera on top of the entertainment center....all of my drives seem to go left even when the club head is directed center or right.

thanks
I think it could be how you're finishing the swing, even if the club face it flat(straight) you could shank a shot if you get lazy with the finish. I see a weird hook looking arrow when I get lazy and my shots go all over the place.

# 98 AceFan84 @ 03/12/11 12:28 PM
Ok so just for reference going in I haven't owned a Tiger Woods game since 2004 on PC. I am an old school golf fan who likes sims more than arcade golf games. My favorite golf game of all-time is Mario Golf on N64, seriously. I swear that game had some of the most realistic differing shot types and conditions of any gold game ever. Anyways, the last few years I have only played the TW demos, like I said haven't owned a Tiger game since 2004. I also have dabbled in TW Online, which I found to be a pretty fun game of golf.

Ok so now onto my demo thoughts. In short, I really like it. I find myself liking the caddie thing quite a bit, it's something brand new and fresh to the golf game IMO. It isn't perfect but to me its another step forward for the series. I mean caddies are such an integral part of golf in real life I find it a very nice and important addition to the series. I see some people complaining about them because they feel like they are a "WIN" button of sorts. I have two points about this I'd like to make. One, is it really that bad to have a suggestion given to you of how you should tackle a specific shot? Isn't this what caddies do in real life? You still have to hit the shot yourself, judge percentage on shot power, ect. And two, you can still play using manual shot aiming on every shot you ever take on this game. Who cares if the caddie recommendations still show up on each shot. In all the other golf games out there the aiming reticule shows up in the general area you want to hit the ball right? How is that so different than the caddie showing you what to do/giving you options and opinions on the shot?

This game (and demo) has shown me enough that I'm going to buy the game at launch, first Tiger in 7 years I'm going to do that. The new career mode sounds vastly improved, sporting a much more realistic simulated PGA Tour than in any previous year. Between that and all the awesome Augusta stuff (HELLO.... Augusta is finally in a golf game!!!) I think it's time for me to finally buy a current gen golf game.

I don't post here hardly ever but I just wanted to share my opinions on the game. So many people seem so down on the game and I guess I just don't feel the same way.

# 99 Rules @ 03/12/11 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceFan84
Ok so just for reference going in I haven't owned a Tiger Woods game since 2004 on PC. I am an old school golf fan who likes sims more than arcade golf games. My favorite golf game of all-time is Mario Golf on N64, seriously. I swear that game had some of the most realistic differing shot types and conditions of any gold game ever. Anyways, the last few years I have only played the TW demos, like I said haven't owned a Tiger game since 2004. I also have dabbled in TW Online, which I found to be a pretty fun game of golf.

Ok so now onto my demo thoughts. In short, I really like it. I find myself liking the caddie thing quite a bit, it's something brand new and fresh to the golf game IMO. It isn't perfect but to me its another step forward for the series. I mean caddies are such an integral part of golf in real life I find it a very nice and important addition to the series. I see some people complaining about them because they feel like they are a "WIN" button of sorts. I have two points about this I'd like to make. One, is it really that bad to have a suggestion given to you of how you should tackle a specific shot? Isn't this what caddies do in real life? You still have to hit the shot yourself, judge percentage on shot power, ect. And two, you can still play using manual shot aiming on every shot you ever take on this game. Who cares if the caddie recommendations still show up on each shot. In all the other golf games out there the aiming reticule shows up in the general area you want to hit the ball right? How is that so different than the caddie showing you what to do/giving you options and opinions on the shot?

This game (and demo) has shown me enough that I'm going to buy the game at launch, first Tiger in 7 years I'm going to do that. The new career mode sounds vastly improved, sporting a much more realistic simulated PGA Tour than in any previous year. Between that and all the awesome Augusta stuff (HELLO.... Augusta is finally in a golf game!!!) I think it's time for me to finally buy a current gen golf game.

I don't post here hardly ever but I just wanted to share my opinions on the game. So many people seem so down on the game and I guess I just don't feel the same way.
Good post and you should come around more often. I feel the same way and look forward to getting the game on day one. I passed on last years and it is time to get a golf game this year.

# 100 sroz39 @ 03/12/11 06:00 PM
Been buying Tiger every year since 2004 on the Xbox and I'm going to buy the game again this year. Do I think they made a mistake with the caddy feature in some areas? Yep, big ones. Is it game-breaking? Nope, and anyone here who says they are are blowing things out of proportion to drive their point home at how dis-pleased they are with the caddy.

Look, I get it. Some of you want to have control over every aspect of your shot. Understandable. But you can mostly disable the caddy and like AceFan84 mentioned above, seeing the caddy's recommendation isn't all that different from years past with the aiming circles and whatnot.

It's not ideal but I think there are a ton of improvements as well that help overlook some things. There is not a single game out there that I play where I don't have to overlook something (or some things) to get full enjoyment out of them, whether it's a buggy game to The Shows and NHL's of the world. They all have issues that take away from being truly realistic. As simulations go, this demo is a solid one, IMO.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.