Home
NHL 12 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Game: NHL 12Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 26 - View All
NHL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 blinkfan77 @ 07/06/11 05:22 PM
Can't stand "sizzle videos" that consist of 85% of footage looks nothing like what real life hockey looks like. The glass looks embarrassingly awful. The hits looked awful too. Give us some good gameplay footage.

# 2 Gagnon39 @ 07/06/11 06:27 PM

# 3 bigbob @ 07/06/11 06:42 PM
I agree with Whammer that I believe the hits look great, but whenever that glass shatters it looks like snow flakes. At least, that's the best that I could describe it as. That could be a little better.

# 4 Vikes1 @ 07/06/11 07:21 PM
Overall...I liked what I saw in this vid.

If we do in fact get sliders to adjust the severity of the hits, and the chance of breaking the glass...it's all fine with me. Of course I spend 95% of my time off-line.

For on-line play, hopefully all this will be done with a good balance in mind.

# 5 plaidchuck @ 07/07/11 12:20 AM
Eh I thought it looked pretty promising with the different hits and the goalie/net/player interactions.. didn't really see anything impressive about the goalie saves and I agree it's downright silly to advertise the glass breaking as a top billed feature.

# 6 BlueNGold @ 07/07/11 12:30 AM
I'm sure the balance of all of this will be fine. Players falling to their knees and shooting, batting pucks out of the air, broken sticks and all of those little things were well-balanced in the past.

The hits looked pretty cool, especially the Burrows one into the boards where he lost his helmet. But the glass actually breaking looks terrible. I like that they added it, but the actual look of it breaking isn't good.

# 7 DStars15 @ 07/07/11 01:07 AM
Obviously it's pretty tough to tell from a 30-45 second teaser video but if I had to guess, I would say the presentation is gonna be a lot like last year and the year before that (and the year before that). Like I said I'm just guessing but it just doesn't seem like presentation is a priority for the EA team. Please EA prove me wrong! But hey as long as the game plays smooth and the gameplay is great, I won't be complaining. It'd just be nice to have that little extra polish.

# 8 TreyIM2 @ 07/07/11 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jattbreed
Looks like I'll be setting the broken glass to 0. I don't hate the fact that broken glass is in the game, you can turn it off if you don't like it. What I do hate is that broken glass is treated like A MAIN FEATURE!

Really? They're going to sell the game on that? I want more news on presentation, and that shot tracker crap better not be their "presentation overhaul"
While I love seeing games improve, and I do wanna finally buy an NHL game this gen, I need the hands-on feel of the game to get better. I started off on the Genesis with this game and bought at least one game each gen but this gen, after playing EACH demo, it's been hard to get me to pull the trigger becuz of the feel of the game not progressing, to me. I'll see what this year's demo brings...

# 9 TreyIM2 @ 07/07/11 06:12 AM
Jattbreed - Didn't mean to quote u. Musta press the quote button for ur comment on my phone screen by mistake when scrolling thru the comments...

# 10 JezFranco @ 07/07/11 06:16 AM
I like the "total user control" they mention and and just after show a guy batting the puck in the air.
I hope that means that we can now actually (try to) hit the puck mid air.

In NHL11 those are just on autopilot. You wanna hit the puck mid air, don't touch the controller and the game will try and do it for you.

# 11 jonezis @ 07/07/11 09:06 AM
I like these couple new animations what I saw:

- Players dragging their leg to avoid offsides
- Shooting from one knee down
- At the end of video where Bruins player dekes goalie and "just puts it in the net".

There's probably slider for broken glasses just like stick breaking so I don't worry it to be overexaggerated. Hitting and aggressions sliders also affect this. And I really hope that if you crash the goalie you will get penalty and/or suspension for doing it.

# 12 stew514 @ 07/07/11 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
I'm sure the balance of all of this will be fine. Players falling to their knees and shooting, batting pucks out of the air, broken sticks and all of those little things were well-balanced in the past.

The hits looked pretty cool, especially the Burrows one into the boards where he lost his helmet. But the glass actually breaking looks terrible. I like that they added it, but the actual look of it breaking isn't good.
Broken Sticks might have been balanced properly but dropping the stick was not. Guys with 2 hands on their stick drop it from a shove in the back, guys with the puck on their stick get it sticklifted out of their hands. I also think batting pucks out of the air isn't balanced properly because I can't control it. Can't tell you how many times I've watched a defender swat a loose puck right into the slot, or a forward with a wide open net try to swat the puck out of mid air instead of wait for it to settle and just shoot it.

# 13 LiveTimeGameReviews @ 07/07/11 11:16 AM
i thought the NHL used Plexiglas (unbreakable glass)

# 14 TDKing @ 07/07/11 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonezis
I like these couple new animations what I saw:

There's probably slider for broken glasses just like stick breaking so I don't worry it to be overexaggerated. Hitting and aggressions sliders also affect this. And I really hope that if you crash the goalie you will get penalty and/or suspension for doing it.
Problem is you can't use sliders ONLINE !

# 15 Jessep07 @ 07/07/11 08:00 PM
Looks great, and I hate to say this here, but how is it that NCAA and Madden didn't have a physics engine this year??

# 16 BlueNGold @ 07/07/11 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessep07
Looks great, and I hate to say this here, but how is it that NCAA and Madden didn't have a physics engine this year??
They're a lot farther behind than NHL and FIFA are. They still have a lot of things that need fixing/tuning before they add a physics engine.

They are getting close though. Some of the things they've added over the past year or two like their new contact engine seem to be hinting that way.

# 17 cup4blues @ 07/08/11 12:42 AM
NHL 10 - New feature where size and speed matters when hitting.
NHL 11 - New hitting physics where size and strength determine the outcome of a hit.
NHL 12 - No we really mean it this time, size and strength matters.

# 18 BlueNGold @ 07/08/11 12:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup4blues
NHL 11 - New hitting physics where size and strength determine the outcome of a hit.
Um, NHL 10 never had physics.

# 19 tical2399 @ 07/08/11 08:22 AM
And this is not in Madden or NCAA why????

# 20 cardswin2006 @ 07/08/11 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup4blues
This is so accurate it's sad. I love the NHL series, but they have made this claim for at least 3 years straight.

You can also add to that the "players will all feel different" line they use every year.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.