Home
NBA 2K12 News Post

CBS has posted their NBA 2K12 hands-on preview.

Quote:
The improved AI is also felt on defense. Dumping the ball to Patrick Ewing would cause the opposing team to send help from different spots on the floor, but the AI never over-committed, opting to fake the double-team attempt and go back to their man. This realistic defensive tactic made it difficult to know when to pass or continue to post up.

Defensive rotations have also undergone an overhaul. The AI does a better job of disguising where they will bring help, creating more unpredictable defensive sets. The AI also defends passes better, more eager to jump passing lanes or tip a pass to create a fast-break opportunity.

Game: NBA 2K12Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iOS / PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 102 - View All
NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 TheBadazz @ 09/01/11 12:51 AM
nice read. Hopefully Friday we'll get more "insight" of the play calling.

# 2 pables21 @ 09/01/11 01:10 AM
Great article. I really love what they said about the defensive AI improvements, such as faking a double-team. It's also good to hear about live-ball improvements such as having the ball bounce off the backboard while fighting for a rebound. If these are actual improvements, then the gameplay should be much improved over 2K11, which is saying a lot

# 3 boritter @ 09/01/11 01:16 AM
Sounds good.

I really hope they put in lob passes.

# 4 jr2424 @ 09/01/11 01:22 AM
One of the other additions is picking who you want to inbound the ball and they added a success percentage number when you finish your free-throw motion. Both nice tweaks.

# 5 blingballa333 @ 09/01/11 01:32 AM
A lot of good info here!

Nice find.

# 6 Austin_Ben @ 09/01/11 01:45 AM
Being an offline player I'm loving all this info about defensive A.I. improvements.. It should make playing my player and association more of a challenge

# 7 Xx Qontrolz xX @ 09/01/11 03:35 AM
now that guy KNOWS what he's talkin about and i love it !

if everything he said is accurate, i won't have enough of that 1 life to play that game enough

idk why i have the feeling that 2k devs are so good and listen so much to their fans that sliders are gonna be in MP this year and ... man, oh man ...

# 8 Control-X @ 09/01/11 03:53 AM
good read. thanks op.

# 9 sportjames23 @ 09/01/11 04:25 AM
Man, errbody gettin' they hands on 2K12 but us.

Damn that, I want MY hands on this game.

Where you at, Oct. 4th?

# 10 Goffs @ 09/01/11 05:36 AM
Quote:
Presentation aside, the aspect that really stood out was the improved AI. In past years, AI controlled players weren't too committed to moving without the ball unless you called a specific play. In 2K12, players are intent on getting to the spots where they can succeed. Hakeem Olajuwon would work to get position in the post to pull off his patent Dream Shake. The '85 76ers set a screen under the basket for Moses Malone to get him deep, low-post position. When I pitted the current Warriors against the Showtime Lakers, James Worthy and Magic Johnson continued to try to post up Golden State's smaller backcourt of Monta Ellis and Stephen Curry. These instances turned each possession into a chess match.
I liked reading this...to many times in 2k11 i've seen smaller guards posting up someone bigger than them...

# 11 jr2424 @ 09/01/11 06:03 AM
Thanks for all the positive feedback on the story. There were so many little gameplay additions that they've made that really add up to the overall experience. The post-up game feels so much more intuitive. For vets of the series it does take some time to adjust to Y (or triangle) being the post-up button, but it really frees up the triggers and right stick to pull off quick moves in the post. The game was running so smooth I felt like they could release it right now and it would be a smash.

They didn't allow me to play any My Player or ask any questions about Association. But purely from a gameplay standpoint, 2K12 is on point. Oh, and the jump shooting feels SO much smoother. Didn't run into any of those jerky-jerky animations that sometimes happened during catch-and-shoot situations. Thanks again guys for the kind words.

# 12 domidomdomz @ 09/01/11 06:04 AM
Quote:
Last year, only the point guard could start a set play but for teams like the Miami Heat or Los Angeles Lakers, this was not realistic. Play initiators are a specific number of players on each team who will have the ability to call plays, so even though LeBron James does not play point guard, he will be able to start a play.
Best part of the article for me.

Though I'm not sure what plays would they assign to the Lakers now that Mike Brown is the head coach and the Triangle "might" not be used anymore.

# 13 Goffs @ 09/01/11 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2424
Thanks for all the positive feedback on the story. There were so many little gameplay additions that they've made that really add up to the overall experience. The post-up game feels so much more intuitive. For vets of the series it does take some time to adjust to Y (or triangle) being the post-up button, but it really frees up the triggers and right stick to pull off quick moves in the post. The game was running so smooth I felt like they could release it right now and it would be a smash.

They didn't allow me to play any My Player or ask any questions about Association. But purely from a gameplay standpoint, 2K12 is on point. Oh, and the jump shooting feels SO much smoother. Didn't run into any of those jerky-jerky animations that sometimes happened during catch-and-shoot situations. Thanks again guys for the kind words.
Great write up man and from the vids shown so far i think shooting will be the best part about the game. Thank You Beluba! I remember him saying that he loves the mid range game...

oh btw...get ready to get bombarded with questions

# 14 jr2424 @ 09/01/11 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Great write up man and from the vids shown so far i think shooting will be the best part about the game. Thank You Beluba! I remember him saying that he loves the mid range game...

oh btw...get ready to get bombarded with questions
Thanks. I will. I'm on the West Coast now so I'm going to bed but I will do my best to answer questions.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

# 15 domidomdomz @ 09/01/11 06:51 AM
@jr2424

Regarding the "Y"/post-up button. Can it initiate a post-up animation anywhere in the court and with or without a defender near the ball handler?

Really great article. Thanks!

# 16 Da_Czar @ 09/01/11 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr2424
Thanks. I will. I'm on the West Coast now so I'm going to bed but I will do my best to answer questions.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Very nice Article jr2424 ! Really enjoyed that.

# 17 ffaacc03 @ 09/01/11 08:30 AM
WOW, JR this article is an insight itself ... I think we got our selves spoiled of tomorrows insight and the further one about gameplay ... anyways, an outstanding hands on article !

Now a few q´s:

- Did you tried to contest shots ? ... if so, how was it ? ... how did it felt to put your hands up while walking ? ... any unintentional jumping by the player while in this mode ?

- How does vertical seems to be ? ... is it like 2k11 pre or post patch ?

- Does the plays that have multiple choices highlight them all or just one ?

- Did you get to do or see any fastbrakes ? ... if so, how were they executed ? ... does the opponent AI catches you with super speed ?

- Can you assign that type of fake double teams defense tactic to your AI partners (or to any team) or is it hardcoded to all ?

- Did you saw any of the latest roster movements (pre lockout) or any rookies ? ... someone mentioned on the momentous trailer that Rubio was seen in the background, so, did you spolied someone else ?

Again, marvellous detailed depict of your experience !

# 18 Toaster @ 09/01/11 08:37 AM
Great article!
It really shows you know your 2K baketball.

And now, a question : tell me, does the AI utilise the "walk up court" animation properly to reflect different team styles or dictate the pace?

10x

# 19 Greene_Flash03 @ 09/01/11 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster
Great article!
It really shows you know your 2K baketball.

And now, a question : tell me, does the AI utilise the "walk up court" animation properly to reflect different team styles or dictate the pace?

10x
That would be nice!

# 20 Goffs @ 09/01/11 08:57 AM
he's fast asleep by now lol and i finally have a question...

How do you like the new controls? Tighter like what the other reviewers say?

« Previous1234567Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.