News Post

Game: MLB 12 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 55 - View All
MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Blzer @ 02/05/12 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabreraMVP
The stadium loosks boring because of the shadows, and the lack of the skyline. The way the sun is in the video, it creates all the shadows from the upper deck and half the stadium is shaded.

And it's been said a lot....but the skyline in the back would add a lot. I'm sure on a nice sunny day, and especially in the early evening, the stadium will look nice.

In real life the stadium is much better, it's awesome. The City is nice in the background and it just seems like a very new, fresh, open, stadium.
Maybe even giving the glass panes more of that blue tint instead of the grayish look would help as well. All the small things.

And yes, the lighting has a lot to do with it (as well as the other colors for the dirt and grass, but that's neither here nor there until next year's game). This is why I will reserve judgment until I see this place both at night and in real life as well. I'm convinced this stadium will be a real life eyesore as well, however.

Don't get me wrong, there are good things about it... but I feel like a whole lot of it is either generic or just wasted space/opportunities.

# 102 CabreraMVP @ 02/05/12 10:44 PM
I dont know, I think it's pretty nice.

# 103 DamnYanks2 @ 02/06/12 12:24 AM
It's just unlike any MLB Park I have ever seen.

# 104 johnnyg83 @ 02/06/12 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingTim
It was all good until that Jose Reyes homerun. Not even Bonds has any business hitting that opposite field homer on that inside pitch-- as a baseball "purist" (or whatever) this kind of stuff kills me.

ughh and the stadium: did Minute Maid Park and Miller Park have a latino baby? Can't stadium architects see what works: intimate stadiums with great views (SBC, PNC, "Camden Yards"). Why did they emulate the stadium in Milwaukee? seriously?

sorry to be so negative, but I can't help what I feel.
I'm with ya. Someone told me they didn't see my point when I brought it up in the first or second page. I know he hit 19HRs one year but I don't think anyone would classify him as a power hitter. And if that's the new physics, they don't seem very new. Not trying to hurt feelings, just disappointed.

# 105 Blzer @ 02/06/12 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg83
I'm with ya. Someone told me they didn't see my point when I brought it up in the first or second page. I know he hit 19HRs one year but I don't think anyone would classify him as a power hitter. And if that's the new physics, they don't seem very new. Not trying to hurt feelings, just disappointed.
Note that "ball phyiscs" and "bat physics" may be two completely different things. The re-written ball physics were all about having them spin the right way and resist in the air properly. They technically never said anything about how it would hit off the bat, grass, dirt, or wall padding. In that regard, there is still a lot we don't yet know about the overall physics/interaction until we play the game ourselves.

# 106 johnnyg83 @ 02/06/12 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Note that "ball phyiscs" and "bat physics" may be two completely different things. The re-written ball physics were all about having them spin the right way and resist in the air properly. They technically never said anything about how it would hit off the bat, grass, dirt, or wall padding. In that regard, there is still a lot we don't yet know about the overall physics/interaction until we play the game ourselves.
Interesting point. I assumed "ball physics" would mean the ball hitting off the bat correctly too.

# 107 Blzer @ 02/06/12 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg83
Interesting point. I assumed "ball physics" would mean the ball hitting off the bat correctly too.
I'm certain they've done some tweaks with that as well. However, as you can see, they might not be accounting for pull power vs. opposite field power as much as they should be. I don't even think Reyes can hit an oppo home run, no matter where the pitch is (I think I've seen him do it in Philly, but every other NL East stadium would be too deep).

# 108 nemesis04 @ 02/06/12 03:30 PM
Quote:
I'm certain they've done some tweaks with that as well. However, as you can see, they might not be accounting for pull power vs. opposite field power as much as they should be. I don't even think Reyes can hit an oppo home run, no matter where the pitch is (I think I've seen him do it in Philly, but every other NL East stadium would be too deep).
Are we certain that hit was a home run? We never saw it play out. Could have been an out or curved foul in the end and they gave you the illusion he hit it out with the carnival going off in the next frame. Just saying!

# 109 OUSOONERS#1 @ 02/06/12 03:42 PM
Nem did they offer you a free copy of both the PS3 n Vita to recruit n defend this title to the death i meen cmon u went com event ya know rather they fixed that B>S> opp field home run crapt!!!!!!

# 110 nemesis04 @ 02/06/12 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUSOONERS#1
Nem did they offer you a free copy of both the PS3 n Vita to recruit n defend this title to the death i meen cmon u went com event ya know rather they fixed that B>S> opp field home run crapt!!!!!!
First of all I am not defending it, I was just asking a question. His body language after the swing did not indicate home run to me. Opposite field home runs that should not happen irk me as much as the next person. For the record I bring my fair share of constructive criticism to the table. I just know how to present in a professional manner instead of the shotgun approach performed by many here.

If you want to call me a defender so be it, carry on!

# 111 JoeRyan33 @ 02/06/12 04:11 PM
SCEA really needs to work on the grass and dirt colors, they look very unnatural in this video.

The green was almost reflective it was so light and saturated.

# 112 JoeRyan33 @ 02/06/12 04:16 PM
But I'll bet it wasn't on an inside pitch.

# 113 tvman @ 02/06/12 04:42 PM
Reyes is a switch hitter, i 'm guessing he hit that hr. to left off a leftie.

# 114 Blzer @ 02/06/12 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
Are we certain that hit was a home run? We never saw it play out. Could have been an out or curved foul in the end and they gave you the illusion he hit it out with the carnival going off in the next frame. Just saying!
Certainly. I was merely going off the home run celebration cam, plus the carnival going off afterward, as you said.

No reason for us to be misled, though. If that kind of home run is possible, it's better/easier that we know than being told "Maybe our mind is just playing tricks with us." It's okay for games to have flaws, after all. I'm not saying you're defending the game, because I look at all possibilities as well. I'm just going with the most plausible one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_F_Z
He did it at least once last year..

Reyes is a switch-hitter, so he might have hit that one out right-handed. Of his seven home runs, one was right-handed. It's fair to assume that all of his home runs were pulled last year, as opposed to having two opposite field home runs.

EDIT: Just noticed the poster above me said that.

# 115 thaSLAB @ 02/06/12 04:50 PM
Quote:
The changes includes bat/ball, ball/air, and ball/environment physics, with the two latter being the most noticeable. As for the Reyes homerun, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a dev/test dictated event... even with that, we don't know how far that ball traveled.

# 116 tvman @ 02/06/12 04:54 PM
Odds are that was a hr. by Reyes in the video and it shouldn't be a big surprise if it was as this kind of stuff has been in the game for as long as i've been playing it.

# 117 johnnyg83 @ 02/06/12 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_F_Z
I'm not going to waste my time researching any of that, but I don't see why it's impossible to hit a pitch low and inside in the zone to opposite field. It would just be an inside out projection.

What location do you consider optimal for hitting the ball hard to opposite field ?
Certainly it's not impossible, just not likely for a hitter of Reyes' caliber. And it's been an issue that's plagued the game for a while. So when I saw it, I wondered where the physics changes they had been talking about were implemented. IMHO, the past iterations have had far too much power to the opposite field for all hitters.

As to your question about optimal spot, I would say anything on the outside half of the plate has a better chance of being hit hard to the opposite field vs. a low and inside pitch (or high and inside of that matter).

Not sure if I'm reading this right http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...jo01&year=&t=b but it looks like he was batting right-handed when he hit that HR to left field last year.

# 118 cavsfan2 @ 02/06/12 06:25 PM
Who cares whether or not the stadium is weird? Nobodys going to be there anyway.

# 119 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/06/12 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
The changes includes bat/ball, ball/air, and ball/environment physics, with the two latter being the most noticeable. As for the Reyes homerun, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a dev/test dictated event... even with that, we don't know how far that ball traveled.
I was just going to say that it more than likely was a dev dictated event for the video.

Because every inside pitch when we were there that was late and jammed were loopers and nubbers, very little with true power.

Also this video is from December, lots have been tweaked to the physics since then.

But as with every year, we critique old builds as if they are master gold.

# 120 Blzer @ 02/06/12 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
But as with every year, we critique old builds as if they are master gold.
What about when we reserve our thoughts until the final build, and the issues are still there?

I'm not saying this is one of those things, but there have been times when I've heard "old build," and yet the problem still appears in the game. This isn't just for The Show, by the way. Every game I run into has posts like that.

Besides, we can only judge what we see. I like to take people's words for things, but I'd rather be disappointed sooner than later.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.