Home
Tiger 13 News Post

This year's iteration of the Tiger Woods franchise brings with it a reliable simulation, but the developers have also experimented with a couple of key features. A few of these new modes and features don't quite hit the mark — and there's a mean-spirited setup to some of the unlockable courses — but the core gameplay is very strong, with lots of value to be found in the offline and online areas.

Read More - Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 Review (360/PS3)

Game: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 10 - View All
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Dazraz @ 04/04/12 02:05 PM
I've always used the 3 click system in the past so I was a bit concerned over it's omission this year. However the analog system is alot more refined than in previous iterations & works well.
In regards to the DLC at least EA have given us the option to pay less for a course & play it a limited a number of times. Most courses I only place once or twice so this option works for me. As for whether the costs are justified, well that's another story altogether.
Commentary is woeful with EA even removing the short intoduction on each hole that was provided on most courses. There is obviously a large number of gamers that click through such presentation moments & won't miss them at all, but for those like myself, who enjoy the immersion of such broadcast elements PGA 13 does disappoint.
The best PGA game in the series it is, but the game falls short in terms of a quality career mode, commentary & atmosphere.

# 2 ps3veron @ 04/04/12 02:13 PM
Loved the review, perfect mark I'd say too.

Its genuinely a fun game, the only thing that puts me off are those darn coins, makes me feel like I am playing some free app on the Pad!

But overall, a very strong iteration.

# 3 PAPERNUT @ 04/04/12 02:15 PM
Solid review. I give it an 8.0 as I have been hooked just playing the courses themselves online with friends. Career mode does suck compared to other games and the DLC content I actually like since we can work towards unlocking it free for play unlike other games that limit it completely. People need to face it that DLC is here to stay and until people stop paying for it, they will continue to do it. Of course that will never happen, so look for the value of what the game has itself and choose to buy it or not. Well worth it for me this year as I have enjoyed it.

# 4 MrArlingtonBeach @ 04/04/12 02:24 PM
"...mean-spirited setup to some of the unlockable courses..."

As a PS3 user, I find the exact opposite is true. I can use the in-game coins to unlock courses without having to spend time on course mastery or money to get them. It's very customer-friendly. In just one week, I have unlocked Spyglass Hill and am more than 2/3 of the way to being able to unlock another course. I have spent no extra money and have not rented a round at any DLC course.

The mean-spirited part, according to the game's developers, is that Microsoft refused to allow this system in the Xbox version of the game, so Xbox players have to either master each DLC course or buy them with MS Points. Coins can't be used outright to buy unlimited use of DLC courses on the Xbox version of the game.

# 5 kerosene31 @ 04/04/12 02:27 PM
The one thing I don't get is how DLC is a "problem" this year. The number of courses on the disc is pretty much the same as it has been. The extra option to earn rounds seems like a plus to me, and for those who don't like it can still buy the courses.

Also, I did wonder why country clubs were only briefly mentioned. Seems like a pretty big feature this year (or at least popular based on posts here), but it kind of only got a quick mention.

To me the score seems low based on what was added, but of course that's just my opinion. The game feels like a big improvement over past years, especially last year.

# 6 mcmax3000 @ 04/04/12 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArlingtonBeach
The mean-spirited part, according to the game's developers, is that Microsoft refused to allow this system in the Xbox version of the game, so Xbox players have to either master each DLC course or buy them with MS Points. Coins can't be used outright to buy unlimited use of DLC courses on the Xbox version of the game.

I can't help but think that there's more to that situation than EA is telling us.

We can still earn coins and unlock the DLC without paying a cent on the 360 (yes, it's more work than on the PS3 version, but the course mastery objectives aren't that overly difficult), so how is that any different from Microsoft's point of view than us being able to earn enough coins to just unlock it outright?

Either way, Microsoft isn't seeing any money so I don't get why they will supposedly allow one but not the other.

I could understand why they would maybe require EA to sell the courses on the Marketplace instead of just with in game coins like they do on PS3, but the rest seems pretty strange to me.

# 7 MrArlingtonBeach @ 04/04/12 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmax3000
I can't help but think that there's more to that situation than EA is telling us.

We can still earn coins and unlock the DLC without paying a cent on the 360 (yes, it's more work than on the PS3 version, but the course mastery objectives aren't that overly difficult), so how is that any different from Microsoft's point of view than us being able to earn enough coins to just unlock it outright?

Either way, Microsoft isn't seeing any money so I don't get why they will supposedly allow one but not the other.

I could understand why they would maybe require EA to sell the courses on the Marketplace instead of just with in game coins like they do on PS3, but the rest seems pretty strange to me.
How many people though are going to look at the system in place on the Xbox and say, "I'll just buy the courses instead of putting in that extra time"?

It makes it a lot easier to just pay for the courses when your only other option is to first earn coins to rent rounds, and then put extra time into mastering and unlocking them. I would have to think MS figured they could earn more money by not allowing courses to be bought with coins.

Granted, I don't know why Sony would not want a part of that extra income. But, from all the info I can gather, it was a decision made by MS and Sony, not EA. Why would EA want it different on both consoles?

That said, and no matter what console you are on, the fact that you can get free DLC courses is not 'mean-spirited' at all. After the complaints people had after last year's DLC handling, the way DLC is done in TW 13 is much better.

# 8 mcmax3000 @ 04/04/12 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArlingtonBeach
Granted, I don't know why Sony would not want a part of that extra income. But, from all the info I can gather, it was a decision made by MS and Sony, not EA. Why would EA want it different on both consoles?

I don't know why & I'm not saying that the decision was made solely by EA but I feel like we're not getting the complete story, nor do I expect we ever would/should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockitOldSchool
And for the 100th time, I don't want your premium EA membership. Why can't I say no once and that be that? You keep advertising your garbage throughout my game, in every menu.

While I disagree with a lot of what you said (I think it's a great update to TW12 & the DLC situation is handled much better this year) but this particular section I agree with 100%.

The amount of shilling for the Season Ticket service in TW13 is nausiating.

# 9 goalie @ 04/04/12 06:10 PM
i think the DLC is a great and innovative idea, that provides a superb option. pay if you want to, grind if you want to - the choice is yours... isn't that what we've all been asking for?!?

great, GREAT game - much improved.

# 10 DirtyJerz32 @ 04/05/12 01:36 AM
Counrty clubs needs more to be said. It's the best feature they've added since the analog swinging. I know it's your review and your opinion, but the score doesn't seem to be justified by the words that were written. Just my opinion.

# 11 goalie @ 04/05/12 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32
Counrty clubs needs more to be said. It's the best feature they've added since the analog swinging. I know it's your review and your opinion, but the score doesn't seem to be justified by the words that were written. Just my opinion.
great point.

# 12 DivotMaker @ 04/05/12 10:32 AM
Quote:
Just bought the game today. Pretty much the same as TW 12 with a few gimmicky extras. What annoys me more than anything is I paid $60 for the game but to obtain all the courses I would either have to eat, sleep and breathe TW for 3 months straight or pay another $60! So that's $120 for a video game. You want to be greedy and make me buy the DLC courses fine. But I own TW 12 and so on. Can't you give us loyal TW users a break? Why do I have to spend $120 a year??? I already give you so much money. And for the 100th time, I don't want your premium EA membership. Why can't I say no once and that be that? You keep advertising your garbage throughout my game, in every menu. This is what happens when
there is no competition. Decent game but EA's greediness ruins it for me. And if you have 12 you're not missing much. My honIest humble opinion.
While I respect your opinion, I could not disagree more with your statement that 13 is 12 "with a few gimmicky extras".....the new swing mechanic alone is the best innovation in this series for the 360/PS3....

# 13 kickingguru @ 04/05/12 11:04 AM
Quote:
Just bought the game today. Pretty much the same as TW 12 with a few gimmicky extras. What annoys me more than anything is I paid $60 for the game but to obtain all the courses I would either have to eat, sleep and breathe TW for 3 months straight or pay another $60! So that's $120 for a video game. You want to be greedy and make me buy the DLC courses fine. But I own TW 12 and so on. Can't you give us loyal TW users a break? Why do I have to spend $120 a year??? I already give you so much money. And for the 100th time, I don't want your premium EA membership. Why can't I say no once and that be that? You keep advertising your garbage throughout my game, in every menu. This is what happens when there is no competition. Decent game but EA's greediness ruins it for me. And if you have 12 you're not missing much. My honIest humble opinion.
This isn't Russia... Is this Russia?.... This isn't Russia...

Its called capitalism. I for one will likely spend about $150 total on the game and will get every dollars worth. This generation feels they should simply be given what they want for basically nothing. You deserve to get nothing in life. EA will charge a price and consumers will either pay for it, or not pay for it. EA will then decide to lower the price or quit making the game. They have even now given you a choice.. Pay or have patience... Lord knows you have to have it now... and its not fair you should have to pay... Seriously, stop complaining and put up or shut up... either pay for the game or do choose to keep your money... The constant whining on this is getting very old...

# 14 goalie @ 04/05/12 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
While I respect your opinion, I could not disagree more with your statement that 13 is 12 "with a few gimmicky extras".....the new swing mechanic alone is the best innovation in this series for the 360/PS3....
his point makes more sense if it were written a year ago... the changes this year are many and significant...

i'm not saying one has to like the changes, but they are definitely present in every aspect of TW '13

# 15 DivotMaker @ 04/05/12 02:26 PM
Quote:
While the omission of the three-click is puzzling,
Why is it puzzling? 3-click has been an afterthought for years with Tiger and with the new swing mechanic, it did not fit in the game.

Quote:
The one area of the downloadable space that isn't as cool are the unlockable/downloadable courses. Basically, the developers provide 16 courses “on the disc,” and the other 19 are unlockable (time, effort) or downloadable (pay money). While it's nice to have an option to unlock pay content for free, it's troubling that so much of it is locked up this way. You can spend your in-game currency to buy rounds at these courses, or you can master each course to unlock it permanently, but the rub is that these unlock procedures are so extensive and arduous that it makes the whole thing just seem kind of lame. I'm all for a bit of DLC behind a pay wall and some gear to be unlockable, but there's no reason that over 50 percent of the courses should be held for ransom in this way.
In TW09-12 you had to pay for DLC courses and the cost of those courses came down dramatically in 11 and 12. Now they give you a way to earn them for free and this is still unacceptable? Um, okay....

Quote:
The tournament play eliminates the ability to ask caddies for advice, which means that a baseline of skill is required in order to set up shots. You do get to use putt previews liberally, though.
If you are referring to Tournament difficulty, this is wrong. Putt Previews are OFF by default in Tournament mode, however, there are plenty of other tournaments that are of lesser skill requirements that PP's are enabled.

Quote:
In addition, there is a country club feature that allows you to group up with friends in order to gain "status," which allows you to earn more coins as well as participate in EA Sports special events.
That's it? The most appealing online feature to come to TW ever and this is all you can comment on? Just look at all the threads here and the participation in the Online Country Club threads. This is a serious oversight on your part, IMO.

Quote:
The margin for error is softened to accommodate for the odd bit of wackiness, which is probably for the best.
Not in the higher difficulty levels.....

Quote:
There are some stuttering animations on the backswing, and trying to set up your shot by menu navigation is way too finicky, but these are elements that could be easily iterated on and improved for a future release. Also, for what it's worth, the Kinect has the benefit of not risking you flinging a motion device out of your hands when swinging.
Agreed....Kinect needs some serious work to get it to play as well and as stable as the controller.

Quote:
Visuals: The presentation in this franchise could definitely use a new direction, but the courses, player models and depth-of-field effects all look good.
Agreed.

Quote:
Value: There's plenty to do offline and online, with career mode, legacy challenge, online matches, daily tournaments and lots of course mastery to unlock gear and courses. That said, the unlock structure (and DLC baiting) went too far.
Again, how are MORE options for users to acquire DLC content a bad thing? You DO realize that each of these courses carry a licensing fee that needs to be returned to EA. These are not like COD map packs that require no licensing, GPS mapping, laser mapping, etc. The fact that EA listened to users who complained about the cost of DLC in years past by giving them MORE options should be to their credit, not to their detriment, IMO.

Lastly, your score is low. 8.0-8.5 is what I would give this game right now. With a comprehensive patch to address the number of issues being reported by the community, I would give the game a solid 9.0 as this is by FAR the best console Tiger I have ever played. Presentation, Career Mode and the ball placement issues as well as freezing issues being reported do need attention, but from a gameplay perspective, the game gets a flat out 10 from me and my roots come from the more simulation oriented PC versions.

# 16 kerosene31 @ 04/05/12 03:19 PM
Are the DLC courses even on the disc? I know (at least on 360) when I bought the 11 DLC courses I had to download like 1.5 gigs of stuff. If they were on the disc the download would have been a tiny unlock code. Perhaps PS3 is different.

# 17 DivotMaker @ 04/05/12 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
Are the DLC courses even on the disc? I know (at least on 360) when I bought the 11 DLC courses I had to download like 1.5 gigs of stuff. If they were on the disc the download would have been a tiny unlock code. Perhaps PS3 is different.
No, they are NOT on the disc, thanks for pointing that out!

# 18 kickingguru @ 04/05/12 04:16 PM
There is a serious lack of 'intuitiveness" to Tiger that EA does not do a good job of explaining. It seems only the most savvy of Tiger Players truly understand the game, how you play it, and all of its features and functions. Questions fielded in forums can always be a bit high on the "You just asked that, Really?" scale, but Tiger 13 have taken those to a whole new level. That is the fault of the dev team more than anything else as when people pop in the game and play, there is very little in information to gain some bearings. This more than anything else has effected the reviews as most reviewers pop in hundreds of games for brief periods of time and when information is lacking... You get the reviews this gets...

Bottom line.. It is the best Tiger since 04, but it takes effort to truly understand it and this "please me now" generation struggles with it...

My 2 cents...

The Guru

# 19 Tomba @ 04/05/12 05:55 PM
Basically to not see the visual and graphical imporvement in the game is baffling. this game has gotten a MAJOR overhaul in the graphics department from lighting player models cloth movement and overall textures. Its a great looking game and is on par with MLb The Show

# 20 kerosene31 @ 04/06/12 08:39 AM
Quote:
To this day Game Face back then is 10 times better than Game Face now.
The game face is a bug this year. The last few years it worked great.

Quote:
I'll admit the clubhouse feature seemed cool but I didn't research it well and EA got me. It's a great concept.
Who's fault is that? Perhaps you should spend less time going on about EA's supposed evil practices and educate yourself before you buy?

There were threads about all the major features right before release day as some people got the game early through the Season Ticket program. They were graciously answering questions all that weekend before.

There was also a thread discussing exactly which courses were DLC, on the main disc and on the special edition disc. I knew exactly what I was buying when I plunked down my $110.

In this day and age, there's no excuse not to be an educated consumer.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.