Home
NCAA Football 13 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Quote:
Blair Herter and Producer Ben Haumiller turns their attention to next season with an early look at NCAA Football 13, with its explosion of uniforms, second-generation High Dynamic Range lighting, and true-to-life stadium atmosphere.

Game: NCAA Football 13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 60 - View All
NCAA Football 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 ODogg @ 04/05/12 09:06 AM
I had an epiphany about 3 years ago about this game that many of you obviously have not made yet. The game is what it is. Everyone laments what this game should be but it's futile to do so. Comparing it to The Show or FIFA is futile. Expectations by now have been set year in and year out by EA for this game and yet 95% of people on here still set theirs way too high. Every year people think "this is the year NCAA Football is going to make a huge leap" and every year your hopes, dreams and expectations are grabbed, smashed and FATALIED like Scorpion finishing Goro.

Here's how I look at it. The game is a video game. It's not a recreation of football. It's not a simulation. It's a game that I greatly enjoy playing with my friends online. It's a game I get year round enjoyment from by playing online dynasty. I've quit lamenting the game not being what I expect. I've quit expecting it to be "The Show" of the football world. It's not going to happen.

Now I know some of you may misinterpret here slightly what I'm saying. I'm not saying I don't like the game but still buy it anyways. Far from it, I enjoy the hell out of the game and I play it all year round. But after a few years ago, when I nearly quit playing it out of frustration, the same frustrations I see expressed in this thread, I asked myself a simple question "Do I get $60 worth of fun out of this game?" and my answer was "that and a ton more".

I think all of you need to quit torturing yourselves about what the game could be, or directly comparing the game to those that sit across from it on the shelf and ask yourself that simple question "do I get $60 worth of fun out of this video game?". If the answer is yes then quit believing each year is going to be "the year" in which the game evolves from a fun video game to a football simulation. If the answer is no then simply delete your NCAA forums and quit buying the game because you're only causing yourself more heartache.

I know some folks might say in reply to this "well I love college football and I don't have any choice but to buy this game and it sucks" which implies you would like another competitor, say 2K sports, to create a college game. Well guess what, that isn't happening anytime soon. I wish I was a millionaire but I don't wake up each year and go into forums and stress myself out that I'm not a millionaire.

The point is every single person in these forums by now should know exactly what to expect each year from NCAA college football. It's going to be slight improvements, an upgrade here or there, some cool little additions, maybe some tweaks...but that's what you're getting. I don't know why anyone expects anything more until the next generation. If you truly want a superior game and don't want to give up on college football game then simply set your calendar for a few years off and pick up the new NCAA football game on the Xbox 720 or the PS4. That's your only real option at this point.

I really believe that of the complainers in this forum, of which there are many, there is a good percentage that don't take my above advice mostly because they DO know what to expect each year but they really enjoy complaining and bashing EA. Some of you may not even realize this is happening, not doing it consciously but getting caught up in the outrage of "what??? they added x and didn't fix y??" subconsciously. It's an odd phenomenon but it's a real one, some people simply find happiness in misery. Add that to the fact that since there are so many people in these forums that love to bash the game and bash EA and you're part of a large group who agrees with you and reinforces your views. That in itself is what some people like as well, the feeling of "us against them" or of "us gamers vs. the huge, evil corporation". And as I said, some of you may not even realize you're doing it but think about it and you may find it's true.. This is evidenced by the fact that many of the same complainers get caught up in the hype of looking for the game early as well, it's group think.

As for me, I'm going to continue to buy the NCAA games simply because, as I said, I get my moneys worth out of them. I have no problem complaining about specific features and wanting them fixed. I have however decided that it's pretty pointless to desiring a completely different, awesome football simulation because that's unrealistic and simply is going to cause me a lot of disappointment come July 10th. I would advise the few of you on here who are truly unhappy, and do not derive your happiness from bashing or being part of the group who does, to re-assess as I have a couple of years ago and act accordingly. It will save you a lot of heartache and stress over what is simply a video game, one of hundreds which release each year...

# 62 djordan @ 04/05/12 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gaming_Disciple
The bashing of the EA NCAA developers should come to an immediate halt. It is evident that the developers have a keen insight and desire to take NCAA to that next level; however, they are limited as a result of marketing executives who have the final input concerning what is featured in the game. Any person above the age of 18 realizes the mindset of marketing so called experts who constantly deliberate in board meetings concerning what will sell a product, in which, the said individuals (executives) have no first had experience of. Yes, the developers are limited. They are limited by the execs and limited by this generations game engine. Furthermore, until an immediate competitor can break through EA's monopoly on college football as well as Madden, no immediate changes will take place in order to immediately garner the attention of the executives...$$$

"These things have been spoken, so that those who hear, might believe"
Really?..REALLY?!?!?!?!

The tings people say to give EA/Tiburion a break. I TELL YA! LOL

# 63 BlueNGold @ 04/05/12 09:20 AM
at this line from the interviewer:

"You've always done an incredible job of being really authentic, and you've not let the fans down."

# 64 DorianDonP @ 04/05/12 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhm_williams
Wow couldn't love this post anymore if I tried. Couldn't be more true, especially that last part.
That's such an intellectually dishonest statement. Why not debate the content of the criticism instead of trying to attack the people with a baseless comment?

If 2K somehow released a college football game without a physics engine, you think people would be happy with that just because it's 2K? Come on. Do yall really believe that?

# 65 bigsmallwood @ 04/05/12 10:30 AM
April 17th....let's wait

# 66 mrprice33 @ 04/05/12 10:53 AM
I'll say again...if you were expecting a completely new movement/weight system this deep into the generation, you're really not paying attention.

# 67 MMurda @ 04/05/12 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmallwood
April 17th....let's wait
u do that buddy LOL if u havent been on this rollercoaster ride long enough to know where it ends....i dunno what more to say really. 90% of the blog will be about "new" passing system. the bad part is it will most likely be a gimmick/tweak that may not even have REAL impact other than having to learn the new control for it. the other 10% of the blog will be minor things that are tweaked that wont have much REAL impact on gameplay because no matter what they tweak, theyre doing so on top of a broken foundation.

basically ill check in on the 17th outta curiosity but i expect nothing to come outta it but a reaffirmation that they really dont get it(what it takes to shape this gameplay up), wont do it if they do know what it takes due to a myriad of excuses with the main one always being time(convenient, but has some truth), will never be more than a tweakfest until theyre forced to start over when new systems come out, if then. i still have a feeling theyre gonna be lazy and just port over and continue adding on top of this crap foundation for fear of a repeat failure in switching gens when they tore it up and started fresh this gen. oh yea, theyll also be reaffirming that ncaa & madden 12 were my last purchases until they get real and acknowledge that this game is past tweaking when it comes to needs.

# 68 MMurda @ 04/05/12 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvana
when you play as much ncaa12 as i do. and edited this game as much as i have you dont need more than 10 secs of gameplay footage to know nothing has changed.
thank you! finally someone gets it. im sick of all the wait til the 17th bs. for the ppl who play the hell outta the game and have put probably 100-1000's of hrs playing the game this gen alone...really thats all it takes. i could see about 5 plays of diff types and make a very well informed opinion of the gameplay. we're in essence "experts" at this topic due to the multitude of hrs spent playing it. no diff than working a job. u put the time in, and u can spot a prob from a mile away cuz thats what u do day in day out. it really dont take more than a few mashup of clips to see all the legacy probs are still there and unaccounted for.

# 69 gator3guy @ 04/05/12 12:00 PM
In response to ODOGG, I don't think my expectations are too high. My only expectation is that the game should AT LEAST play as realistic as it did on an inferior console almost a decade ago. Is that too much to ask for?

# 70 LionsFanNJ @ 04/05/12 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2th3m1th
I love OS when it comes to football games. Sane people become irrational. We havent even seen real gameplay footage. Just mashup clips that you guys overreact to. Wowzers. How about we wait and atleast see the new feature set before we criticize.

Like I said before if it said 2k instead of EA people would be lauding over this game.
I trust and believe we'll be seeing sacks like the video i nthe final retail build. The lack of implemented momentum will more than likely remain intact from preious versions...I bet that bull rush move will be overdone too. I really want April 17 to be here, though i have my suspicions the new passing system/tweaks will be at the sacrifice of any form of pressure from the front 4.

Oh wait, i forgot about the overpowered DT's. Never mind then.

i sound cynical but if they improve three key things i'd end up buying the game. I just wish the football games were like NBA 2k. All the slider adjustments and depth and i usually play them all year, almost until the next one releases. Football ens up getting traded in a few months after the final patches. I really wish it didn't end up that way.

# 71 ptcommish @ 04/05/12 12:15 PM
What a horrible interviewer. Seriously? He doesn't know what he is talking about and throws up softballs. Lame. We learned nothing. A waste of my time.

# 72 The_Gaming_Disciple @ 04/05/12 12:16 PM
Once again, I will reiterate for those who are unable to comprehend plain english. I, in no uncertain terms am giving the developers an easy escape hatch. I simply stated, the developers have a desire and know how to make NCAA a great game. HOWEVER, they are limited by marketing bureaucracy and the current game engine in place now. Last year we were told about the limitations of the game engine concerning dynasty and player tendencies.

Secondly, just as many have posted earlier, if you are unhappy with the game, simply do not purchase it.

# 73 BigDuke @ 04/05/12 12:35 PM
Looks like pastel uniform colors are still in for '13. Boooo.

# 74 Jr. @ 04/05/12 12:47 PM
It's always fun visiting the NCAA forums this time of year.

ODogg is exactly right. If you enjoyed last year's game, you will enjoy this year's. If you didn't, you won't. It's pretty simple. NCAA and Madden are what they are, and anyone expecting to see a perfect replica of what you see on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays in the fall are setting themselves up for disappointment. I will likely buy the game this year, as I did last year, because I had a lot of fun with it before my PS3 died and I lost my Dynasty save.

Of course I would love for EA to make a football game that looks exactly like what I see on Saturdays every fall. But I know that is not going to happen for a long time, if ever. So I accept NCAA for what it is (haven't bought Madden in a few years) and enjoy it, because it actually does play a decent game of football for me.

# 75 mtoo22 @ 04/05/12 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughn3
It's always fun visiting the NCAA forums this time of year.

ODogg is exactly right. If you enjoyed last year's game, you will enjoy this year's. If you didn't, you won't. It's pretty simple. NCAA and Madden are what they are, and anyone expecting to see a perfect replica of what you see on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays in the fall are setting themselves up for disappointment. I will likely buy the game this year, as I did last year, because I had a lot of fun with it before my PS3 died and I lost my Dynasty save.

Of course I would love for EA to make a football game that looks exactly like what I see on Saturdays every fall. But I know that is not going to happen for a long time, if ever. So I accept NCAA for what it is (haven't bought Madden in a few years) and enjoy it, because it actually does play a decent game of football for me.
This has been this way every since NCAA 2010, if you liked it last year, you will this year because it has not changed. If you like it, thats great. If not, you are stuck.

# 76 ODogg @ 04/05/12 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMurda
u do that buddy LOL if u havent been on this rollercoaster ride long enough to know where it ends...
It's a coaster everyone has ridden and everyone knows where it ends thus my comments earlier, either accept the game for what it is and what it will be, at least until we get to next-gen or quit torturing yourself!

# 77 ODogg @ 04/05/12 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy
In response to ODOGG, I don't think my expectations are too high. My only expectation is that the game should AT LEAST play as realistic as it did on an inferior console almost a decade ago. Is that too much to ask for?
Yes, if you are expecting us to get a different game engine then you're expectations are misplaced. The engine will not change fundamentally between now and next gen.

# 78 ODogg @ 04/05/12 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDAWG89
I hate this but it's probably true.. I just cant stand that we pretty much get the same game every year with very little "real" improvement. I mean you can watch someone play 12 and then watch someone play 06 and see things that are still the exact same
I'm going to agree and disagree with you here. I completely agree that we can go back to NCAA 06 or whatever and still see things that aren't fixed. And yes that makes me unhappy. And yes they should have been fixed by now, no question.

But I will disagree when I read into this that NCAA 06 to NCAA 12 are fundamentally the same game. At least that's the implication I get. I don't believe they are, I think we have seen huge, HUGE improvements from NCAA 06 to NCAA 12. Are we where we should be? Hell no, not even close. But I've actually fired up NCAA 06, 07 etc and they are nearly unplayable for me compared to NCAA 12. Also, I hardly could stand to play those games and usually put them down after a month. The last couple of years I've been playing throughout the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDAWG89
What disappoints me the most is that they have so many resources/options/opportunities but it seems like they aren't taking advantage because they know people will buy a so-so product without question every single year.
I hear you on that. I'd say disappointed is a word that suits me as well. But with that being said, per my past long winded post, I am no longer angry. I no longer have sky high expectations that "this is the year". I no longer really believe this year the game will be markedly improved in a lot of areas important to me.

I do however still look forward to the game and purchase it on day one and enjoy it. I know that many folks frown upon that and consider me as someone who is "blindly buying the game" and I'm part of the problem per se, and maybe that's true. Honestly though, I'm tired of thinking of all of this philosophical debate about these sorts of issues.

Once again, the single issue EVERYONE should be asking themselves is this: Do I feel I'll get my $60 worth out of this purchase? If the answer is no, then don't buy it. If it's yes then buy it an enjoy it for what it is. If the game is as bad as some seem to think it is then eventually there will be enough no's and things may be different.

Although honestly I seriously doubt it will happen because the general population outside of OS just treat the football games as some fun video game distraction until the big fall/winter releases like Gears of War, Call of Duty, etc, etc. So long as that is how the large majority of EA's gamers see the games we can expect more of the same. And I for one don't plan to torture myself or lament that scenario and raise my stress level over something that is far beyond my control.

# 79 keepitnappe9 @ 04/05/12 01:39 PM
You guys make me laugh. All you do is complain about a game that is not coming out for 3 months. Obviously, changes will be made. But don't come on this board, complaining about this and how you're not going to spend your precious $60 on it. EA has ZERO reason to make a perfect game that has every feature you want. Why would they do that? They would have no opportunity to improve this game for next year. There are a group of faithful fans out there that look forward to this game every year and have no problems shelling out money for it. If you really HATE this game the way you say, don't buy it. That is truly all EA will notice...

# 80 illwill10 @ 04/05/12 02:10 PM
I am not expecting any big changes. I liked '12, but there were some aspects of Gameplay that kept me from playing it long term. That is why I am hoping the gameplay from the vid is just a early build. I plan on buying '13 day one, but if CPU PlayCalling, blocking, defense isnt improved, I dont see myself playing it past NBA 2k13

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.