Home
FIFA 13 News Post

If you can't view the embedded video, click here.

Game: FIFA Soccer 13Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 15 - View All
FIFA Soccer 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 MattyEdgeworth @ 08/16/12 04:37 AM
I cannot wait! Some good info in their, I especially like the lack of pace wjoring in FIFA 13 that was talked about. That sounds good.

The gameplay itself looks great, first touch, attacking A.I is all really noticeable.

# 2 Qb @ 08/16/12 08:48 AM
I watched several videos from Gamescom and I wasn't all that impressed, but that's not unusual for me as I don't care for default settings and most of all, assisted controls. The game does look more active, which is good, and first touch looked good at times, but I can't get past how twitchy and ultra-responsive player movement is. I know some of it comes down to who is playing the game, but I wish they'd sacrifice some responsiveness for realism.

But in the end, these are over the shoulder videos of unfinished builds on default settings. Also, I was able to get FIFA12 to a point where I enjoyed over two years of career mode, so I'm fairly certain I'll be able to do so with 13.

# 3 Yeats @ 08/16/12 08:55 AM
Gameplay is way too back-and-forth and quick. Watch a real football game and players slow down and pause, and even stop and look around before deciding their next move or pass. This is ping pong soccer: relentless up and down the pitch. Must be teams from the ADHD League.

Overall gameplay and animations look smoother, that's a plus for sure. My #1 interest is to see if they've removed the psychic CPU attackers who change direction the instant you touch the tackle button. Can't tell from those videos, but it looks like maybe it's been at least toned down.

EDIT: Check out the goal celebration at 4:07 of the second vid, wouldn't want the children walking in the room with that playing, holy cow.

# 4 NikeBlitz @ 08/16/12 08:58 AM

1:10 Exactly what i hate in FIFA. Overpowered lobbed pass and helpless defender. Annoying.

# 5 Yeats @ 08/16/12 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeBlitz
1:10 Exactly what i hate in FIFA. Overpowered lobbed pass and helpless defender. Annoying.
It's an issue for sure and has been for years, But you really need to know that can be eliminated completely on the PC. That's the AI momentum coding at work, which can be removed in the PC version. FIFA 12 is the first FIFA game I've played on the PC, and the first one in years I've enjoyed playing, all because that programming is now gone in my game.

# 6 KG @ 08/16/12 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats
Gameplay is way too back-and-forth and quick. Watch a real football game and players slow down and pause, and even stop and look around before deciding their next move or pass. This is ping pong soccer: relentless up and down the pitch. Must be teams from the ADHD League.

Overall gameplay and animations look smoother, that's a plus for sure. My #1 interest is to see if they've removed the psychic CPU attackers who change direction the instant you touch the tackle button. Can't tell from those videos, but it looks like maybe it's been at least toned down.

EDIT: Check out the goal celebration at 4:07 of the second vid, wouldn't want the children walking in the room with that playing, holy cow.
That's the first thing I noticed, the insane pace. IMO the pace in 12 was a strongpoint. It looks way to easy to transition from offense to defense but like Q said, over-the-shoulder vids usually look pretty bad.

The bad is that due to the demo length, there is really no way to tell how the game will really be in terms of pace since you will be forced to attack at all costs.

# 7 MattyEdgeworth @ 08/16/12 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeats

Yeah because it's two mates mucking about, just trying to get footage. If you've ever played online you'll know it gets frantic like that, against the AI it's always much different.

# 8 RoyceDa59 @ 08/16/12 10:49 AM
Hmmm, I have to reserve judgement until seeing some CPU gameplay.

# 9 Yeats @ 08/16/12 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyEdgeworth
Yeah because it's two mates mucking about, just trying to get footage. If you've ever played online you'll know it gets frantic like that, against the AI it's always much different.
Okay, but Brian stated it's CPU vs User footage, which is what I based my comments on. Now you say it's User vs User. Can't be both -- can't praise the improved CPU attack, and then say the frantic back-and-forth pace is a result of two people playing.

EDIT: Sorry, just noticed Brian was talking about off-the-ball CPU-controlled teammates. My mistake, disregard previous comments!

# 10 Steve_OS @ 08/16/12 03:00 PM

# 11 MattyEdgeworth @ 08/16/12 03:02 PM
Cheers Steve

# 12 bigeastbumrush @ 08/16/12 03:15 PM
Going to be really hard for me not to pick this game up.

# 13 BrianFifaFan @ 08/16/12 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Going to be really hard for me not to pick this game up.
The only way I won't be getting this is if I'm deceased!

# 14 MostlyChilly @ 08/17/12 11:39 AM
Not going to pass judgement on the gameplay til I see more footage and play the demo, although I gotta say the menus are pretty sharp looking this year.

# 15 RaptorMania @ 08/17/12 01:31 PM
doesn't look much diff than 12, gameplay looks even faster.

# 16 ImaGamer_OS @ 08/17/12 05:56 PM
Thanks for the posted videos. I really enjoyed them. Wets the appetite before this game is released. The EPL resumes tonight and I cannot wait for the season to start!

# 17 RA30 @ 08/17/12 11:42 PM
Seems like a lack of fouls again.
Only saw a sending off in one of the demos.

The pace is way too fast.
It's like a pin ball machine there...real football isnt like that.

# 18 SaylaB @ 08/18/12 06:47 AM
Like others have mentioned, the pace is blistering fast. It's just back and forth with lightning bolt passes bouncing between the feet of players.

I've only been playing FIFA since I picked up the World Cup version of the game, so it's all I've known for soccer video games. But after getting interested in real soccer after playing the video game and watching the occasional match here and there, it's easy to see how far off FIFA's default settings are from the real deal.

I was far more impressed with the feel and speed of the PES demo to be honest.

It'll be interesting to see just how much you can slow down FIFA with settings. I'm happy that I have the EA Sports Season ticket to test things out before investing 60 dollars in this game.

Either way, I'm thrilled that there's a competitive soccer video game market. In the past it was a no brainer to get FIFA if you were a console gamer, at least in my neck of the woods.

If only the other major sports titles had this competitive atmosphere, I'd be in heaven.

# 19 bad_philanthropy @ 08/18/12 09:05 AM
Hopefully the game speed on a lower setting with some slider tweaks improve the overall dynamic of gameplay.

I don't understand why EA insists on creating this pinballish arcade style for FIFA's default gameplay. They put all sorts of great tools in the game to make it play quite well with a number of adjustments, but the most common experience people will have with the game is what we see in the videos.

It seems like player movement is almost too sharp. The passing looked silly—the ball was rocketing in perfectly straight lines right to the receiver. I don't think any player in those videos attempted to pass the ball back and build up on attack.

That all said, there were some great slider sets here last year that made FIFA 12 play much better than its default settings. I expect the same will be the case this year.

I'm sure it will be a great game with some tuning,

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.