Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

The Madden NFL 13 demo is out and our staff has some impressions of this year's Madden to share in our traditional roundtable format. Is Madden going to be worth $60 this year on gameplay and presentation alone? Read on to find out our opinion on the matter.

Read More - OS Roundtable: Madden NFL 13 Demo Impressions

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 gmitch23 @ 08/16/12 05:19 PM
I dont know what demo these writers played but this game is amazing. Sure the animations and twitching need work but this is by far the best Madden to date. My only concern is the frequency of dropped passes seems to be high. Thats easily fixed in a tuning update.

# 42 LastExit @ 08/16/12 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
By past games I'm guessing you mean 2K5? I know what 2K5's presentation was, and I think we all can agree that it's been pretty much unmatched by any sports game, not just Madden, to have that level of immersion from the presentation side of things.

That being said, I do think that this year's effort is a huge step. I used to be like that - if it doesn't match/surpass 2K5, it isn't any good. But like I said maybe it's just me getting older and having lower expectations but I was pretty impressed by what is in Madden 13, enough to overlook the lack of a fully featured halftime show or postgame show. And the halftime stats overview is a nice touch.

I think saying presentation is a 'joke' is being harsh. In past years, it was a joke with the horrible commentary. This year is a good step in the right direction.
Agreed that this year's version is a step in the right direction.

The reviews were spot-on in terms of issues that plague the game year after year, but the developers did a great job with the new passing game, the audio (the crowd sounds so much better than in NCAA and the commentary is much improved) and the new infinity engine. The infinity engine has some odd looking events and obviously needs to be worked on but it's a solid foundation that will continue to give this game a fresh feel that was sorely needed.

Does this Demo convince me to buy the retail version - I'm still up in the air on that but I haven't purchased a new version of Madden in years because this generation has been such a letdown so there are enough improvements to tempt me to do so. After playing the NCAA demo I was not inspired at all to buy it new but only did so at the $45 dollar price point and I regret doing that.....I don't think I would have the same regret with Madden this year.

# 43 roadman @ 08/16/12 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990

Also, I certainly judge on what is not there, or what has been removed. I don't care if they announce it before hand or not, it's going in the review and it will reflect negatively in the score as well.

Mcdonald's could announce all there hamburgers will now be served plan with nothing on them, and I will know what to expect if I buy one from them.....but I'm still gonna rate their hamburgers as a plain, boring hamburger that only die hard Mcdonald's fans should consider eating.
As I said Wheel, to each their own on that one.

I don't judge what didn't make it in a movie or CD, I'll won't change on that.

# 44 bdg90 @ 08/16/12 05:32 PM
One big problem with this game for me is that the receivers can never catch wide open passes. There has been multiple times when i've thrown to the end zone wide open and just drop the ball and this is with some of the best receivers in the game & the defensive AI seem ******** , they are pretty much useless i just hope they can fix some of these problems.

# 45 kingsofthevalley @ 08/16/12 05:57 PM
Hats off to the dev team this year. They actually did a pretty good job. Hell, I went out and bought backbreaker the first day of release with that wacky physics engine, ya think I'm not purchasing Madden first day? Midnight release I'm there.

# 46 DGuinta1 @ 08/16/12 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofthevalley
Hats off to the dev team this year. They actually did a pretty good job. Hell, I went out and bought backbreaker the first day of release with that wacky physics engine, ya think I'm not purchasing Madden first day? Midnight release I'm there.
My thoughts exactly though no mid-night since I got the ticket. Game is moving in the right direction and it's not EA' fault only game in town, its the NFL'. Can't wait to use my Boys!

# 47 statum71 @ 08/16/12 06:33 PM
I don't think football will ever live up to the standard people are looking for. Sad to say but true, I believe.

The demo??? I like it. But yes, there are some funny looking "ragdoll" moments with the new physics engine. Which is why they were hesitant to put in to begin with.

But they did say it still needed some work and its the first year for it so......I'll manage.

Agree it could be better but not terrible by any stretch.

# 48 ahorton100 @ 08/16/12 07:15 PM
Must say I am not impressed by the demo......but I am a Madden fan. Typically, I do not like the NCAA game; however, I think it is great this year.....yup great...OL/DL and all. The demo seems to miss some what I liked in NCAA.....not sure how. But, I am going to buy Madden 13....hell I am a NFL fan. I think those that havent bought the game since 2008 are not NFL fans and their opinions carry little weight. Biggest issue - wide open dropped passes. All-Pro feels like All-Madden Madden 12.

# 49 g2thecore @ 08/16/12 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I'm curious what you mean by this. As long as you're pre-warned about what won't be fixed, you're OK with it? Or was o/d-line interaction, specifically, not a big deal to you?

When I heard o/d-line play wouldn't be addressed, my mind was 95% made up. It's the legacy issues that have kept me away. I'm not sure what they could add that could get me to look past the player interaction... and the footwork.

The paint is MUCH shinier this year (RTP), but it's still Madden with a fresh coat, with so many legacy issues inored. I can almost understand them focusing on the flashier aspects & ignoring the boring fundamental ones from a business standpoint. But to ignore the player interaction for the entire generation is inexcusable from a gameplay/sim POV. Even with the beefed up staff, they still chose flash over substance.
Beautifully said!

# 50 garnettfan @ 08/16/12 07:43 PM
is it me or the world gone stupid this engine is no good at all madden is ncaa 13 with ragdoll physics this is the worst football game ever well tie with madden 09,07

# 51 marc68 @ 08/16/12 07:49 PM
I'm definatly not as excited about Madden13 as I was BEFORE I played the demo. I like the passing game and being able to throw over a LB is a welcome improvement. BUT...I just feel like I dont have control on the d-line. As the Giants I was completely unable to manually get past the o-line and put pressure on the QB.
The running game seems to be hit and miss also.With Marshawn Lynch you should be able to truck some guys.....he just doesnt seem to be...."heavy",for lack of a better word.
......the more I play it....the more my excitement lessens.

# 52 MMan @ 08/16/12 07:52 PM
Some of the presentation additions are impressive. The ragdoll tackling of almost every tackle looking like a gruesome injury makes no sense. Every time Bradshaw gets tackled it's like his body bends so bad you'd think he'd die. It's terrible and looks extremely unrealistic. Trust me I want to love this game, but I don't think all this supposedly better physics are worth dropping things like Import Draft Class.

And what is up with the coaches looking like the hunchbacks of Notre Dame? lol

# 53 jerwoods @ 08/16/12 08:14 PM
I Played the Demo And Like it
but The CPU A I Needs Fixed Running the Ball with 5 sec Left on the 50
AND no Run GAME I am sure that can be fixed with sliders

# 54 btemp @ 08/16/12 08:38 PM
Nice to see a fair review. +1

# 55 burter @ 08/16/12 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSTEELCURTAINx5
Anyone else find the Keni Glover review terrible?

First of all he starts off by saying that "he has been out of the Madden loop for the last two years" and goes on to say that "he will be on the sidelines for another season".

So this guy is either lying, or really hasnt played a full version of Madden in 2 years. Why exactly are we supposed to care about his opinion?

For example, he says "Passing physics did feel slightly better however". Umm, excuse me? You just told us that you havent played madden in years. What are you comparing this DEMO version of madden to? Last years demo? I find it hard to believe that he remembers what last years demo was like.

Why include someone in the roundtable if they havent spent a large portion of time playing a retail version of Madden in "years"?
Actually no because there are guys, like myself, that haven't played Madden since Madden 10. So he is giving his view point from people like me that haven't bought the game in a couple of years because of things that we felt didn't get fix. Like in 10 foot planting was really good, but in 11-13 there is no foot planting (I actually put in 10 and played in practice mode to see a difference and foot planting stuck out like crazy. There is no comparison honestly when it comes to that).

Edit: Believe me I want to buy it, same with Ncaa 13, but I can wait if I need too. (god it's hard waiting when you see football on tv haha)

# 56 videlsports @ 08/16/12 09:30 PM
I liked the demo, The Infinity engine is alive and well even in the demo. I can take a few comedy bumps after the play. I love the Passing Game in NCAA and Here too, It feels wide open. This game is legit, especially when comparing 12, 11 etc

# 57 Joobieo @ 08/16/12 09:56 PM
Honestly, im going to buy the game just because I have faith in EA . But the demo wasn't exactly the best demo I've seem them release . The first demo I can remember coming from EA that I was a little iffy on .

# 58 AgentQ16 @ 08/16/12 10:01 PM
Ill pass... again. They need a new design team. Animations are still bad as ever and the graphics are blurry as hell compared to other sports games and even to madden 10. I couldn't even see the Redskins numbers or names. WTH? Just too robotic compared to Mlb the show or Nba2k

# 59 cgalligan @ 08/16/12 10:06 PM
I think its pretty safe to say that without a complete overhaul of the engine, from the ground up, we'll never see much difference in the game from year to year.

Simply plugging in things year to year isn't going to drastically "change the game" one way or another.

Hopefully on the next gen systems (xbox and ps4 or whatever they will be called) they truly rebuild the game, and not simply port over this generations games... if they port it over, it will be much more of the same for the foreseeable future.

# 60 mf756193 @ 08/16/12 10:28 PM
I respect opinions of those who don't find this demo very good, but I have no clue how some of you guys feel that way. I have never been so excited for a football game in my life. I absolutely love what the Madden team did with new IE. I've seen stuff in this short demo that I thought I would never see in a football videogame, or any sports game for that matter. Also, I was pleasantly surprised by how well done the new commentary team has been implemented. Additionally I feel that this is one of the best looking, if not THE best looking sports game I've ever seen (Yes, even better than MLB The Show). I will be enjoying this game thoroughly for the next year!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.