Home
Madden NFL 13 News Post

The Madden NFL 13 demo is out and our staff has some impressions of this year's Madden to share in our traditional roundtable format. Is Madden going to be worth $60 this year on gameplay and presentation alone? Read on to find out our opinion on the matter.

Read More - OS Roundtable: Madden NFL 13 Demo Impressions

Game: Madden NFL 13Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii U / Xbox 360Votes for game: 77 - View All
Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Tide_Fan @ 08/19/12 08:30 AM
Good points. Personally for me i think i was expecting to much with all the hype of a new engine being released, sadly this game did not do anything for me that 2012 didn't already do. I was gonna trade in NCAA 13 for this but will definitely keep my college game going after trying this weak demo. I was NOT blown away like i thought i would be, oh well /shrugs.

# 142 LBzrule @ 08/19/12 09:52 AM
I'm playing some more before I comment on it. I'm starting to find some things structural wise that I really like. Then I find other things that remind me what I am dealing with I really cannot gauge the running game until I actually play someone. Against the CPU I can get outside and run all game. But I know when you play another person they are gonna have that outside contained. And right now it is hard as hell to run in the middle of the defense. Anyways, I'm going to play some more.

One thing I do not like though is the RT not blocking guys at all at times.

# 143 Smoke6 @ 08/19/12 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I'm playing some more before I comment on it. I'm starting to find some things structural wise that I really like. Then I find other things that remind me what I am dealing with I really cannot gauge the running game until I actually play someone. Against the CPU I can get outside and run all game. But I know when you play another person they are gonna have that outside contained. And right now it is hard as hell to run in the middle of the defense. Anyways, I'm going to play some more.

Running up the middle is more realistic than it ever has been, just like in real life its about "patience" and hitting your holes following your blocker or whatnot. It's very rewarding when you break off a big chunk thru the middle as compared to the outside but I understand what you are saying tho.

It's gonna be a real treat watching people try to run outside all day using elusive spd backs because they can't figure out the running game yet, its gonna be a pass fest for a minute lol.

But be patient and watch the highlights man, its well worth it!

# 144 JNYHART @ 08/19/12 12:41 PM
Just curious, Did anyone else have problems with the Receivers dropping passes they probably should have caught?

# 145 Dr. Poe @ 08/19/12 12:41 PM
I think that demo was pretty good. It was less frustrating than other Maddens. I have been having fun with it so far. I didn't see a lot of stupid stuff happening in the demo. Madden will be better this year because it will actually be fun.

# 146 raguel @ 08/19/12 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule

here's a thing that annoys me: why on earth would EA make rbs trip over their own linemen before allowing those linemen to get any push?

# 147 LBzrule @ 08/19/12 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by raguel
here's a thing that annoys me: why on earth would EA make rbs trip over their own linemen before allowing those linemen to get any push?
That's what I don't like about the inside running game. The win/loss block/break block system really makes the inside running game seem out of place in this game. In order to run inside you need your linemen to get some push, which does not happen enough to where you want to deal with running inside.

I take this game as whatever you see that either you cannot do, or is very difficult to do, it is that way for a reason, namely to cover up some hole that they couldn't address. That's why you can't stack linebackers and what not, because if you could the nanos would be ridiculous. The pass blocking IMO is actually worse than it has ever been. They just do not allow stacking linebackers so people cannot do nanos to "hide" that fact.

# 148 Smoke6 @ 08/19/12 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNYHART
Just curious, Did anyone else have problems with the Receivers dropping passes they probably should have caught?
Did you see T.O play yesterday?

It happens bro, not everyone catches everything, and after yesterdays games, I can't be mad at all about because even Peyton threw a pass for a TD that was dropped I'm the endzone and a slew of others this pre season.

I think people need to really pay close attention to actual NFL games like they do madden games and you will that finally they are "almost" identical in how most of their aspects play out.

# 149 LBzrule @ 08/19/12 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I know what you are talking about but there is a retail video that seems to show the RT is engaging the edge rusher before getting beat. The issue I am seeing is that again, the edge rusher is not doing any move. On the replay in the demo, they are showing us after the RT has been beat and it looks like the edge rusher is going right by. I am not saying there are not times the edge rusher is going right by, just that there is an engagement and beat, sometimes.

In this video watch from around the 3:50 mark until 4:22, it illustrates what I am referring to.

http://youtu.be/-1U0p97Nqbc
I wouldn't take that as a tale tale sign that the LE is gonna get blocked. He gets blocked sometimes in the demo too. But on 3rd and long he seems to never get blocked. I've solved the issue by just doing a manual drop. Shortening the drop forces him to get blocked.

# 150 JNYHART @ 08/19/12 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6
Did you see T.O play yesterday?

It happens bro, not everyone catches everything, and after yesterdays games, I can't be mad at all about because even Peyton threw a pass for a TD that was dropped I'm the endzone and a slew of others this pre season.

I think people need to really pay close attention to actual NFL games like they do madden games and you will that finally they are "almost" identical in how most of their aspects play out.
Yeah, I saw it. I mean if I am the only one that thinks the receivers are dropping to many passes in the game, then Its probably just me then. I just realized it seems like even the user catches seem to just bounce off of the hands of the receivers. Maybe I am just running before they actually catch the ball. I don't know. Just lookin to see what others think.

# 151 ahorton100 @ 08/19/12 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNYHART
Yeah, I saw it. I mean if I am the only one that thinks the receivers are dropping to many passes in the game, then Its probably just me then. I just realized it seems like even the user catches seem to just bounce off of the hands of the receivers. Maybe I am just running before they actually catch the ball. I don't know. Just lookin to see what others think.
Yeah I was having the same problem.....especially on slants. In M12 you could bullet pass a slant pass and turn up field easily but not in M13. I believe it is related to 4 things.

- How fast you turn the receiver with the left stick
- how the pass is thrown(lob v. bullet, etc.)
- The receiver catch ability
- Ball location in catch window (gotta use total control passing in some cases)

I have adjusted my play in the above areas and have found success. Try it

# 152 ahorton100 @ 08/19/12 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorton100
Must say I am not impressed by the demo......but I am a Madden fan. Typically, I do not like the NCAA game; however, I think it is great this year.....yup great...OL/DL and all. The demo seems to miss some what I liked in NCAA.....not sure how. But, I am going to buy Madden 13....hell I am a NFL fan. I think those that havent bought the game since 2008 are not NFL fans and their opinions carry little weight. Biggest issue - wide open dropped passes. All-Pro feels like All-Madden Madden 12.
Now that I have played more games....esp against human opponents I realize that this game is really good. Better than NCAA, better than 2K5, 2K8, M12, Backbreaker.....fill in blank as you will. This is the best football game ever made....even with all the flaws that you all have pointed out in this thread.

Playing a new Madden game can be a lot like buying new music. Sometimes I dont like the album until I listen to it a dozen times.....and it is much easier to play a "decent" game that you dont like than listen to music that you dont like......however, I think if you keep playing you will see the beauty of what's there more and more....

# 153 ahorton100 @ 08/19/12 07:31 PM
Now that I have played NCAA and M13 demo. I am thinking that one of the biggest improvements is the QB pocket presence adds......I now can move around in the pocket and avoid the rush better. Also, I can shrug off dive tackles or ill timed rushers with the right stick. This makes the game feel different to me.

Does anyone else agree?

# 154 RenownedRyan @ 08/19/12 08:49 PM
This demo is a major step backwards for this series. The combination of unrealistic physics, outdated animations, and bland commentary show that EA is resting on its monopoly to NFL licensing. Players run through goalposts, officials, walls, and each other as though they were ghosts. Many of the animations simply appear to have been ported from NCAA. The halftime presentation is an improvement, but does not rescue the game or make it worth its price tag. At a time when 2k can produce a simulation of a game that has virtually non-stop movement, there is no reason EA cannot produce a football game with graphics and animations on par with those of NBA 2k. Unfortunately, until EA experiences a decline in sales, it appears unwilling to invest in the programming needed to produce a quality football game.

# 155 Smoke6 @ 08/19/12 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenownedRyan
This demo is a major step backwards for this series. The combination of unrealistic physics, outdated animations, and bland commentary show that EA is resting on its monopoly to NFL licensing. Players run through goalposts, officials, walls, and each other as though they were ghosts. Many of the animations simply appear to have been ported from NCAA. The halftime presentation is an improvement, but does not rescue the game or make it worth its price tag. At a time when 2k can produce a simulation of a game that has virtually non-stop movement, there is no reason EA cannot produce a football game with graphics and animations on par with those of NBA 2k. Unfortunately, until EA experiences a decline in sales, it appears unwilling to invest in the programming needed to produce a quality football game.
Cool!

I see no reason for you to keep posting in impression threads anymore since you have clearly stated yours quite a few times already. Now it just seems like you have an agenda!

# 156 Bobalou2112 @ 08/19/12 11:50 PM
Quote:
Unfortunately, until EA experiences a decline in sales, it appears unwilling to invest in the programming needed to produce a quality football game.
Isn't this precisely what is happening? M12 sold, what, 4.6 million. . .the fifth year of decline in sales? As well, didn't EA focus more resources on development this year (i.e., "invest in the programming")?

# 157 roadman @ 08/20/12 12:10 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the insightful insight.

Stopped reading after major step backwards.

# 158 DBMcGee3 @ 08/20/12 09:59 AM
Hey what's everyone doing with the speed variance? I liked the demo much more when I put the game speed on slow, but 0-100 for variance is a large scale. Just curious if anyone has found anything that works well.

thanks guys

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.