Home
NBA Live 13 News Post

It looks like NBA Live 13 is coming out as a digital release after all and not a full on $60 AAA title if the report from IRB Gamer today is to be believed. This seems a pretty big admission that Live simply isn't ready for prime-time obviously, which also obviously seems to be the case. What a mess.

IRB Gamer has the scoop:

Quote:
"It’s been almost 3 years since we’ve released an NBA title,” the EA rep said. The tactic is to get feedback from gamers. However, it’s a bit risky to not run it as the AAA title as thedecision has been made to NOT put the game on disc.

Live will be looking at a price point around $19.99
,” equaling out to 1600 Microsoft Points or $20 PlayStation Network card.

What do you guys think? Smart decision by EA? Does this mean Live isn't up to par quality wise?

Sound off!

Game: NBA Live 13Hype Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 56 - View All
NBA Live 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 361 SHAKYR @ 09/02/12 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by barimanlhs
It would sell much better if it were released on a disk. Its one thing to have parents see it at a gamestop, best buy, target, etc and see the $20 price tag, its another to look for it online, purchase it, and then download it (There arent as many people connected as you would think).

Even at the lower price point, the fact that it is online doesnt help it in sales. Sure it will get some purchases but most gamers will pass it over, especially if there is no demo.
You are not understand the reasoning for a digital download. EA doesn't lose money in production cost. If EA put the game on disc they will lose money printing disc and shipping them to various stores.
If the game doesn't sell they will not lose money. Fans will be downloading the game straight from the company. There will be no returned games or huge complaints.

# 362 jreezy18 @ 09/02/12 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKYR
You are not understand the reasoning for a digital download...There will be no returned games or huge complaints.
I'm thinking you're not understanding it either with assumptions like "there will be no huge complaints" in your post.

# 363 SHAKYR @ 09/02/12 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreezy18
I'm thinking you're not understanding it either with assumptions like "there will be no huge complaints" in your post.
How can someone complain about a $20 game that would usely cost $60. You read into my post the way you wanted to and understandably.

# 364 swaggedout @ 09/02/12 11:31 AM
Do they have demos for a digital download? I guess this puts to rest the debate of putting out an annual release. 2 years for a $20 download, really

# 365 RandomPerson @ 09/02/12 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpnp3
not stupids, people who care about live being good in the next installment. people caring if 2k has competition to keep them on their toes.
Lets be real, 2K hasn't had any real competition in a pretty long time. It would be like if I raced against Usain Bolt. Sure, I'd be another guy in the race, but it's not like I really have any chance of winning. That's what it is like with Live. It's another product, but it's not like they have been truly competing with 2K.

# 366 Alfro0925 @ 09/02/12 12:11 PM
I'm so anxious at this point for some basketball that if live showed up on the marketplace today I'd buy it. Our league has died out on 2k and we are waiting for rosters before starting CC in madden. Oct. 2 can't come soon enough

# 367 jreezy18 @ 09/02/12 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKYR
How can someone complain about a $20 game that would usely cost $60. You read into my post the way you wanted to and understandably.
You can't be serious. Let me go hypothetical on you here:

Let's say downloadable content for consoles existed as it does today back in 1997-2001. Golden Eye 007 released for the standard $50 for regular retail. For reasons noted to include lack in quality, Rare decides to release the spiritual successor, Perfect Dark, for $16 as a downloadable title. When I buy this don't think I'm, or anybody else who's not satisfied, is just going to automatically say, "it's ok, this was only a third of the usual price". If something sucks and people have the desire to complain about it, they will, regardless of price. When people buy NBA Live 13 and they're not satisfied you better believe EA will hear about it.

# 368 SHAKYR @ 09/02/12 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreezy18
You can't be serious. Let me go hypothetical on you here:

Let's say downloadable content for consoles existed as it does today back in 1997-2001. Golden Eye 007 released for the standard $50 for regular retail. For reasons noted to include lack in quality, Rare decides to release the spiritual successor, Perfect Dark, for $16 as a downloadable title. When I buy this don't think I'm, or anybody else who's not satisfied, is just going to automatically say, "it's ok, this was only a third of the usual price". If something sucks and people have the desire to complain about it, they will, regardless of price. When people buy NBA Live 13 and they're not satisfied you better believe EA will hear about it.

Ok, I get your point but why is it that you picked something from my post to debate about instead of the whole thing. It's like picking a fight with two guys and you argue with the least important person(thing).
NBA LIVE 13 is going to be a glorified Demo.

# 369 SuperNoVa27 @ 09/02/12 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
So I guess a demo of this game is out of the question? Pathetic EA. Absolutely pathetic. So now we have to pay you 20 bucks for a demo because you want feedback? I think I'm done with EA until they've got decision makers who aren't complete idiots who don't care about they're consumers.
Not sure how PS3 works, but all arcade titles on Xbox give you a trial.

EA isn't going to be able to catch up to 2k. They might as well scratch this whole project and use the resources for something else.

2k is the king of Basketball and it will be a while before they are dethroned.

# 370 JohnDoe8865 @ 09/02/12 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNoVa27
Not sure how PS3 works, but all arcade titles on Xbox give you a trial.

EA isn't going to be able to catch up to 2k. They might as well scratch this whole project and use the resources for something else.

2k is the king of Basketball and it will be a while before they are dethroned.
I said this before, but I wouldn't be surprised if they released it as a 'Games on Demand' game to avoid having a demo. Not sure how it works on PS3, but I'm sure there is a similar system to GoD.

# 371 TUSS11 @ 09/02/12 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe8865
I said this before, but I wouldn't be surprised if they released it as a 'Games on Demand' game to avoid having a demo. Not sure how it works on PS3, but I'm sure there is a similar system to GoD.
Eww. If they did that I'd hope no one would buy it. I don't buy sports games without trying the demo first.

# 372 Thunder Storm @ 09/02/12 08:28 PM
I would rather buy a dime bag of chronic.

# 373 StankonYa @ 09/02/12 09:58 PM
I don't want to have to download this, I don't have enough room left on my hdd since I install all my games. EA should put this on disc and charge 3 to 5 bucks extra if they must....then I would buy it.

# 374 Blue @ 09/02/12 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StankonYa
I don't want to have to download this, I don't have enough room left on my hdd since I install all my games. EA should put this on disc and charge 3 to 5 bucks extra if they must....then I would buy it.
Not enough people would buy it on disc simply because most 360s have large enough memory now, 200gb,360gb... It hurts the owners of the 20gb but if ea did release it on disc they would have to charge more than $5 extra just to not lose money on the disc making. It would be cheaper for the consumer to just buy a flash drive.

# 375 jreezy18 @ 09/02/12 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Triton
I'm a little confused about all of the angst there is about EA's failure to deliver a basketball game. It doesn't seem like it has cost anyone their time or money. If anything, EA deserves a big thanks for letting gamers move on to enjoy other titles.
I disagree. I don't thank companies for bad games even if there are other games to play. EA needs to know about the dissatisfaction people have, constantly if need be. They don't seem to "get it" when it comes to NBA Live.

# 376 LouYorkCity @ 09/02/12 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim4824
Smart idea. Don't buy the game because the pre-alpha build looks horrible. Even the best games pre-alpha builds are very very rough around the edges.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
It's actually way more than the visuals.. the gameplay is stiff and honestly, why spend $20 on a game that is no where near its competitor??

2k is on a whole different level with NBA games. EA knows this and they still try to get people to buy their product.

There is a reason why they are selling it for $20.. A price too high iof you ask me. Especially knowing that for $40 more i can get a way better game.

Trust me, who ever spends money on this is going to hate it or pretend they love it because they are Live fan boys.

# 377 LouYorkCity @ 09/03/12 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpnp3
2k does it every year. every year they lie about the servers. every year you darn near have to wait until santa comes to bring you a decent online experience. its been that way for like uhhhhhh 5 years or so.

yet we run to the store and pre-order. if we were so tough on these games we wouldnt by them first day. no pre-orders at all. rent them first. wait for them to fix their stuff. and let them know it will be the same next time until you get it right on release day. thats how you do it. but there are to many 2kfanboys/girls, and to many nba live fanboys/girls to ever do something like this.

2k wouldnt tell us officially if crew was in 2k12. why not? they were afraid their would be a "NO BUY" on the part of all those who loved crew mode. they tricked you into buying it. and allowed users to keep asking them for months and then finally leaking info admitting it will never be in this installment. even up to the point of that legends download. people THOUGHT crewmode may be in there. they asked ronnie2k on twitter. he never said it wasnt. why not? cause he wants your money.

so dont act as if 2k is any more moral on how they do business. just so happesn their game is better then ea's at this point. they are still using and abusing us to a degree. because they know they can, since they have ZERO comp. thats exactly what made LIVE fall off the face of the earth.

lastly i think the devs pushed for them to make a $20 release this year vs another cancelling. because they want to show people this is what we've worked on. but were still not given enough time to put all the touches in. remember the interview when the guy said we didnt work on it for 3 game cycles only 1. thats a darn shame. but thats not his fault. thats EA's higher ups using these guys on other games instead of just LIVE and live only to bring it back up to part. if you give any top notch programmers 3 game cycles to produce a game they will produce a killer game. period point blank. but if you dont give them that chance. even though they should've had that chance. they may or may not produce a hot game. thats what we're looking at now. the devs probably are crying to upper management like "guys let the people have it. and let them tell you how they really feel about it. "

because the devs know we are going to blast it and tear it apart. but also see their vision on where they are trying to take it. so we can specifically ask ea's upper management.to give the devs the tools to allow them to do their jobs.
Honestly I'm happy they removed crew. Crew was holding the servers back due to hackers which is why they removed it. I could almost never connect to a team up or league game in 2k11. This year I NEVER have a problem connecting to a team up, league or 1v1 game.

Crew was holding 2k back, everybody knew it. Yes it was fun but it was worth sacrificing in order to put out a better product.

2k doesn't need to scheme anybody to sell.. their game IS the best out, period.

# 378 Boilerbuzz @ 09/03/12 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue
Not enough people would buy it on disc simply because most 360s have large enough memory now, 200gb,360gb... It hurts the owners of the 20gb but if ea did release it on disc they would have to charge more than $5 extra just to not lose money on the disc making. It would be cheaper for the consumer to just buy a flash drive.
Why not just go out and buy a bigger drive?

# 379 MarvinOida @ 09/03/12 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Some people don't wanna fork over 100 dollars for a official MS 250 GB hard drive.

# 380 Blue @ 09/03/12 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
He said he was willing to spend a few extra dollars to buy the game on disc but he probably could get a flash drive for the same cost as the additional cost for a disc copy.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.