Home
MLB 13 The Show News Post

There will be a post with images about this later, but I figured a little teaser never hurt anyone.

If you didn't know, we changed the way we rate players and every position weigh different attributes differently. Before the change the game had 44 players rated 99 or higher. After the change there are 17, here is a little taste.

In no particular order.
  • T.Tulowitzki 99
  • A.Pujols 99
  • R.Braun 99
  • J.Hamilton 99
  • M.Cabrera 99
  • C.Kimbrel 99
  • C.Kershaw 99
  • A.Chapman 99
  • S.Strasburg 99
  • F.Hernandez 99
  • J.Verlander 99
  • B.Posey 99
  • M.Kemp 99
  • R.Cano 99
  • A.McCutchen 99
  • M.Trout 99
  • C.Gonzalez 99
J.Votto just missed the cut at a 98.

Second Baseman Top 5
  • Robinson Cano 99
  • Dustin Pedroia 98
  • Ian Kinsler 95
  • Brandon Phillips 93
  • Jose Altuve 90

Game: MLB 13 The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS Vita / PS3Votes for game: 36 - View All
MLB 13 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Curahee @ 02/13/13 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
(Dear Lord why did they listen to the masses on this one?)
Sheep, brother. Sheep!

# 122 DubTrey1 @ 02/13/13 11:51 AM
I love seeing Altuve rated 90 ... Russell, besides you and me, i think we are the only Stros fans on the planet - and I live here in H. lol. (I do wonder how in the world he's rated 90 though )

# 123 seanjeezy @ 02/13/13 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Or the scout's report is wrong there is human element in scouting now.
Lol yeah, that too.

So speed doesn't regress at all? It's pretty common for a player to lose speed the second he's introduced to a professional strength and conditioning plan, especially if the player plays an offensive-minded position. It would be a nice touch if something like this was incorporated into the game...

# 124 Knight165 @ 02/13/13 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Lol yeah, that too.

So speed doesn't regress at all? It's pretty common for a player to lose speed the second he's introduced to a professional strength and conditioning plan, especially if the player plays an offensive-minded position. It would be a nice touch if something like this was incorporated into the game...
Speed does regress....but not until regressions starts
(that sounds weird doesn't it?)

M.K.
Knight165

# 125 dalger21 @ 02/13/13 12:06 PM
This thread is pretty much a microcosm of why you will never please everyone no matter what you do. No matter what the dev team does, someone will always have something to complain about. Just a shame really.

# 126 seanjeezy @ 02/13/13 12:09 PM
Quote:
Speed does regress....but not until regressions starts
(that sounds weird doesn't it?)

M.K.
Knight165
Eh, I can live with that... I remember you saying it doesn't increase as much as other attributes right? So anyway, how 'bout those ratings charts?

# 127 thaSLAB @ 02/13/13 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubTrey1
I love seeing Altuve rated 90 ... Russell, besides you and me, i think we are the only Stros fans on the planet - and I live here in H. lol. (I do wonder how in the world he's rated 90 though )

I don't think Ramone's a 'stros fan, so you are alone in the world LOL. Oh wait, Lorne_SCEA is an Astros fan so OK, there are 2 of you.

I'm actually impartial to the Astros, and go to a good handful of their games, I accidentally rooted for them at least two times. My wife works for the Astros organization too, so they get some sympathy cheers. All jokes aside, the 'stros are OK with me too.

As for Altuve (and ratings in general) I wouldn't get too caught up in the OVR ratings, because of the way the algorithm is calculated. I can tell you that even not all the 99s play the same. Trout's 99 plays way differently than Posey's 99 or even Pujols' 99... actually Trout plays like he's at least a 115 rating!

# 128 GlennN @ 02/13/13 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phant030
I'm not a fan of a lot of 99s. I guess since there are less, I can't complain too much.
I agree. The fewer the better. If 99 is the max rating, then how can this be put in a bigger context - What is Babe Ruth? Hank Aaron? Ted Williams? I would like to see better seperation between the overall ratings. I don't know that there is a single player now who deserves a max rating. Just lower the floor, then lower the 99s proportionately. Being a 99 should mean this guy is an all-time great, certain Hall of Famer. That rating should be special, something we rarely see. Heck, the best of the best active now probably shouldn't be over 95, and definately not 17 of them. Just my 2 cents.

# 129 GlennN @ 02/13/13 12:27 PM
Quote:
You guys won't have to edit players.

Don't get hung up on the OVR rating(Dear Lord why did they listen to the masses on this one?).....it doesn't indicate that a player is necessarily a 99 in even one attribute...just that the sum of his parts at this position makes him elite at that time.

M.K.
Knight165
I disagree. There is nothing wrong with an overall rating. It just needs to be balanced in the context of the baseball universe. Willie Mays, Babe Ruth and Ted Williams, maybe, deserve a 99. Run today's players by that standard and I think we quickly remove the problem (and we no longer have 17 players at 99).

# 130 ThaShark28_316 @ 02/13/13 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubTrey1
Nope!!!

Astros/Baseball is my fave, so you aren't alone in the H, sir. I know we might finish last, but I don't care. I can't wait for 3/31 (and 3/5, too!).

# 131 Knight165 @ 02/13/13 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
I disagree. There is nothing wrong with an overall rating. It just needs to be balanced in the context of the baseball universe. Willie Mays, Babe Ruth and Ted Williams, maybe, deserve a 99. Run today's players by that standard and I think we quickly remove the problem (and we no longer have 17 players at 99).

You're just proving why there should be no overall #'s though.

So you give Willie,Babe and the Splinter their 99's in history....and nobody now deserves one.

Then in 2016 a kid comes along and breaks every record in baseball after 15 years. EVERY one. Shatters Ruth's SLG/OPS and OPS+ records. Has a higher lifetime OBP than Williams and makes Willie Mays look like Adam Dunn in the OF.

What OVR # are those players then?

IMO...this is why you shouldn't be judging players with an OVR #....especially in a definitive nature.

M.K.
Knight165

# 132 GlennN @ 02/13/13 01:31 PM
Quote:
You're just proving why there should be no overall #'s though.

So you give Willie,Babe and the Splinter their 99's in history....and nobody now deserves one.

Then in 2016 a kid comes along and breaks every record in baseball after 15 years. EVERY one. Shatters Ruth's SLG/OPS and OPS+ records. Has a higher lifetime OBP than Williams and makes Willie Mays look like Adam Dunn in the OF.

What OVR # are those players then?

IMO...this is why you shouldn't be judging players with an OVR #....especially in a definitive nature.

M.K.
Knight165
Valid point, but doesn't that argue just as much against having a maximum rating as having an overall rating? In OOTP, a rating can exceed a 100 point scale. Wouldn't that counter your issue? I understand some folks would prefer no overall rating (like in the Front Page Sports series) and that's cool - make it optional to have it hidden. I like the shorthand of it.

# 133 Cavicchi @ 02/13/13 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
I don't think Ramone's a 'stros fan, so you are alone in the world LOL. Oh wait, Lorne_SCEA is an Astros fan so OK, there are 2 of you.

I'm actually impartial to the Astros, and go to a good handful of their games, I accidentally rooted for them at least two times. My wife works for the Astros organization too, so they get some sympathy cheers. All jokes aside, the 'stros are OK with me too.

As for Altuve (and ratings in general) I wouldn't get too caught up in the OVR ratings, because of the way the algorithm is calculated. I can tell you that even not all the 99s play the same. Trout's 99 plays way differently than Posey's 99 or even Pujols' 99... actually Trout plays like he's at least a 115 rating!
Well then, I'll make sure Trout is on my team!

# 134 NatsFan95 @ 02/13/13 01:52 PM
A bit out of it, but i play fifa as well as the show and nobody is rated 99, lionel messi the best player in the world, is rated 95 which the show should follow, as no player is perfect. I'm a big nats fan and strasburg should never be rated 99, about 88. too many there are rated as 99, only 7 guys in history deserve a 99, cobb, ruth, mays, musial, cy young, koufax and gehrig

# 135 brett the jet favre @ 02/13/13 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
The Angels are stacked! LOL
No big deal, us Mariner fans just have a funner time striking them out

# 136 Qb @ 02/13/13 03:39 PM
A 99 rating DOES NOT equal "perfect" or one of the best ever, nor does it mean a player doesn't have a weakness in his game. In fact, the overall rating itself has no impact on performance; results are driven by the individual skill ratings and user input. All it means is the player is currently one of the elite players at his position and by extension, in all of MLB.

# 137 R0ver @ 02/13/13 03:43 PM
Interesting that Chapman has a 99 rating, is that based on his old closer position?

# 138 timmuh1515 @ 02/13/13 03:45 PM
Question (i read through about 10 pages of this thread and i don't believe it was answered).

Using Altuve as an example. He is rated 90 right. So as an example. If i took 3 terrible players at 2B and increased their stats significantly...could it effect Altuve's overall rating?

So lets say Altuve's speed is 95. If i made 3 second basemen have 99 speed...it would make Altuve's speed less impressive (more or less) so would his overall value drop?

Hope that all makes sense.

# 139 bp4baseball @ 02/13/13 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmuh1515
Question (i read through about 10 pages of this thread and i don't believe it was answered).

Using Altuve as an example. He is rated 90 right. So as an example. If i took 3 terrible players at 2B and increased their stats significantly...could it effect Altuve's overall rating?

So lets say Altuve's speed is 95. If i made 3 second basemen have 99 speed...it would make Altuve's speed less impressive (more or less) so would his overall value drop?

Hope that all makes sense.
I don't think that's how it works. A 99 speed (or some other rating) is a set speed. Theoretically everyone could be 99 if you edited them that way.

# 140 Cavicchi @ 02/13/13 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ver
Interesting that Chapman has a 99 rating, is that based on his old closer position?
Must be because he hasn't started a game. Looks like it's based on last year, one year only. I can see Kimbrel a 99 because he's done it for 3 years straight. Now that may raise a question, should a player having one great season be a 99 or should it require 3 great seasons?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.