Home
MLB 2K13 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

We've also captured some MLB 2K13 screenshots from the video right here.

Still no word on any new features for MLB 2K13 and there isn't much time left, since the game releases on March 5th, almost 2 1/2 weeks away.

Major League Baseball 2K13 screenshot gallery - Click to view Major League Baseball 2K13 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Major League Baseball 2K13Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 14 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 dubcity @ 02/15/13 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
2K12 looks fine, but it's gameplay is what has sold me on it. Every complaint about its color palette, animations, and other visual effects just tells me that some people have a completely different set of priorities when playing video games.
Problem is, when you play a game, you have to actually look at it. Over and over again. For hours and hours and hours. You have to look at the animations, the colors, the horrible faces, glitchy movements, etc etc. You become increasingly aware of all of the flaws.

Also, let's not get carried away with MLB 2K12/13's gameplay. After tweaking the sliders quite a bit, it's pretty good, but it's not without some serious AI flaws. General base-running stupidity, idiotic CPU managing decisions, bland MyPlayer gameplay, etc. If MLB 2K12/13 featured the best gameplay of any baseball game in recent memory, I would agree that the visuals could be forgiven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt Oread
But as I've mentioned before, this thread is another example of why 2K shouldn't waste a lot of time and money putting out pre-release videos and screenshots. There is a serious number of gamers that are ready to pounce and dominate any release by 2K with a barrage of snark. I swear it is as though 2K baseball ran over all of there dogs.
I actually agree. They shouldn't have released gameplay videos. They also shouldn't charge $60 bucks for this. Unless in the next video they plan on listing all of the features they've added to the gameplay and presentation. I mean, even the most redundant of sports games will market 3-4 new features heading into a release. Typically using overwrought, buzzword-y descriptions to at least trick people into thinking that the game is vastly improved from its predecessor. If they can't do that, I can't see charging $60 with a straight face.

# 22 rudyjuly2 @ 02/16/13 05:18 AM
I'd really like to see a real gameplay video. Last year they did that. What is taking so long? The game is completely done. Their main website has no info. At some point they have to say what they improved right? I have a bad feeling we won't even see a demo this year.

I spent two years with this game but quit on it last year. I'm willing to give it another look but please give me a reason. 2K marketing is typically slow and horrible but this is ridiculous. Ronnie 2K is tweeting about new mo-cap for NBA 2K14 and we are getting nothing but the cold shoulder on their MLB game. They have done nothing but reinforce the impression this is just a roster update.

# 23 Spaced Ace @ 02/16/13 06:09 AM
This game looks awful....

# 24 Money99 @ 02/16/13 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I'd really like to see a real gameplay video. Last year they did that. What is taking so long? The game is completely done. Their main website has no info. At some point they have to say what they improved right? I have a bad feeling we won't even see a demo this year.

I spent two years with this game but quit on it last year. I'm willing to give it another look but please give me a reason. 2K marketing is typically slow and horrible but this is ridiculous. Ronnie 2K is tweeting about new mo-cap for NBA 2K14 and we are getting nothing but the cold shoulder on their MLB game. They have done nothing but reinforce the impression this is just a roster update.
That tweet really frustrated me. He's posted more updates on NBA2K14, which is 7 months away, than MLB which is 2 weeks away.

Even as a 2K fan, it's hard to keep defending the lack of information.

Regarding the game itself, I think we all knew it's not going to look as pretty.
Graphics is what made me give the other game one try after another, but I always wandered back to 2K due to it's analog pitching, hitters-eye, commentary and franchise components.
So I don't need super pretty graphics to convince me.
However, that's not to say the upgrades I'm reading about with The Show don't have me on the fence.

If 2K doesn't even treat it's game with respect, how are the consumers supposed to act?

# 25 Lovesports @ 02/16/13 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlanni1
I don't know why everyone is bashing this game??? 2K is trying to put a product out that...Ok I can't do this anymore, it really does look awful. I tried.
Haha good one

# 26 Blzer @ 02/16/13 10:54 AM
I do wonder then, if anyone can answer me this question...

What is it that they've been working on since October, or whenever they resumed production of this game? Seriously, it's a legitimate question. I mean, they were walking in the offices last month, right? What did that person do from 9 to 5 when he was sitting in his cubicle?

I'm not saying we should see a bunch of improvements left and right, but with months on their plate, are we expected to believe that literally nothing will change? Or is it just the necessary facelifts to rename the game 2K13 instead? (like HUD changes, some commentary and roster updates, a playoff mode, and online improvements)?

By the way, 2K put themselves in this position, and they can dig themselves out. EA did so, 989/SCEA did so, etc. It's not too late for them to just give up. Everybody has to pitch in a little, though. It's a two-way street, boys. Make an accessible game and keep working upon a foundation, and listen to your customers. You'll get it right.

# 27 dajar777 @ 02/16/13 11:09 AM
come on all you baseball fans, time to get a PS3! trade in the 360 and go with the show, 2k wants your hard earned money but what have they done to earn your trust.

# 28 rudyjuly2 @ 02/16/13 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajar777
come on all you baseball fans, time to get a PS3! trade in the 360 and go with the show, 2k wants your hard earned money but what have they done to earn your trust.
I have a PS3 and chose 2K for 2K10 and 11. Stop assuming 100% of the people would choose the Show and this post is flat out trolling. 2K has hitters eye, a unique analog pitching system and great commentary. It's not all bad.

I realize there is a high probability the game is the same as 2K12 but I am still holding out hope some work was done. Mt Oread, I don't need many changes to give 2k13 a buy but the one thing (big I realize) I want changed is the bat off the ball physics and excessive opposite field homers improved.

# 29 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/16/13 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I do wonder then, if anyone can answer me this question...

What is it that they've been working on since October, or whenever they resumed production of this game? Seriously, it's a legitimate question. I mean, they were walking in the offices last month, right? What did that person do from 9 to 5 when he was sitting in his cubicle?

I'm not saying we should see a bunch of improvements left and right, but with months on their plate, are we expected to believe that literally nothing will change? Or is it just the necessary facelifts to rename the game 2K13 instead? (like HUD changes, some commentary and roster updates, a playoff mode, and online improvements)?

By the way, 2K put themselves in this position, and they can dig themselves out. EA did so, 989/SCEA did so, etc. It's not too late for them to just give up. Everybody has to pitch in a little, though. It's a two-way street, boys. Make an accessible game and keep working upon a foundation, and listen to your customers. You'll get it right.
I hear what your saying blzr. The examples you give aren't fair though.

What did 989 do to get where they are at? They basically gave up making all their sports titles & stuck with Baseball.

EA, had a separate studio develop their Baseball series when they were making games. Which in turn help make the MVP series what it was.

VC doesn't have that luxury right now. They have 1 team developing for 2 games. That will never work for them. When VC had a single development team developing their baseball games their games were pretty darn good.

You remember those days (SEGA Sports) Blue Shift World Series Baseball/ESPN Baseball

Once Take-2 brought VC everything began to go down hill. Blue Shift was axed. KUSH tried but they would end up being dumped and now we have 1 development team creating 2 games for VC. That's a recipe for disaster.

Baseball has always been the ugly step-child to VC with Football & Basketball being their pride & joy.

I wish they didn't even make 13 to tell ya the truth. My feeling is it's not worth the effort on their part. It makes no sense.

If they were smart they would have began preparing for the following console cycle so they can have a possible chance of really putting out a decent baseball product

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

# 30 Blzer @ 02/16/13 12:02 PM
To be honest, I thought they were two different development teams. Under the same company, yes... but I had no idea resources were actually being split, or doubled-up if you will. That's pretty unfortunate, then.

I'd still like to go onto my earlier point and say that, comparing stills of the MLB 2K and NBA 2K franchises, I don't see many differences. I don't get how one "looks like a PS2 game" and the other doesn't, when it's essentially using the same technology and art design. Different animations? Yes. Different presentation? Yes. Different sport? Undoubtedly. Maybe better attention to facial detail as well, but I just don't see how one game can be so incredibly shot down for its textures compared to that of its brother which looks about the same.

Again, not referring to gameplay video.

# 31 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/16/13 12:15 PM
Quote:
To be honest, I thought they were two different development teams. Under the same company, yes... but I had no idea resources were actually being split, or doubled-up if you will. That's pretty unfortunate, then.

I'd still like to go onto my earlier point and say that, comparing stills of the MLB 2K and NBA 2K franchises, I don't see many differences. I don't get how one "looks like a PS2 game" and the other doesn't, when it's essentially using the same technology and art design. Different animations? Yes. Different presentation? Yes. Different sport? Undoubtedly. Maybe better attention to facial detail as well, but I just don't see how one game can be so incredibly shot down for its textures compared to that of its brother which looks about the same.

Totally agree. Both games use the same graphics engine. The difference I believe is the sports. Basketball graphics focus on a smaller area (the court) which is where all the action is, while baseball has the action happen in a number of areas.

# 32 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/16/13 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonadom
After 3 full development cycles, the game should be better than what it is. They have a development team capable of making a quality game ( NBA 2K series ).

The only thing MLB 2K should be compared to is itself in previous years. The game has improved from 2009 to 2012, but most of the important aspects that people have been giving them detailed feedback on haven't been worked on.

I don't want to get into specifics because that would probably cause an ugly exchange of opinions. This post can be summed up like this: They could've done a better job with the MLB 2K series from 2009 til now.
The series is what it is. Though you say 3 FULL development cycles, the reality is since VC has taken the game they have not had a Real FULL development cycle, since 1 team works on both games. This means @ most they give 4-6 months of FULL dedication to the MLB series.

This model will not work. And we've seen this since VC has taken over. Yes they've implemented features but look @ those features. Were they implemented for MLB or ported over from the NBA series.

"real time presentation/commentary & today feature"

Also VC doesn't even have their best talent working on MLB

Rob Jones, Mike Chow & Beluba

They have secondary NBA people working on the game some who know baseball & some who don't.

It's unfortunate for those of us who are 360 owners during a time of licensing agreements

# 33 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/16/13 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonadom
You say it won't work, but isn't it possible that it could have worked just at a slower pace if things were handled better ?
It may have, but that's not how the development of sports games works. You are expected to put out a product every year. You are also then expected to add 1 or 2 NEW features to said product.

Once KUSH got canned this series really never had a chance. Many of us including myself thought VC would save the series because of their track record with the NBA Series.

# 34 macavity @ 02/16/13 01:46 PM
I know I'm in the minority here but the great pitching mechanics and (I assume) updated commentary are enough to make this an immediate purchase but ONLY if the framerate/stuttering that was so prevalent in 2K12 has been fixed. That completely ruined it for me last year.

# 35 onac22 @ 02/16/13 02:27 PM
EA was and is disappointing enough. Compared to the screen shots of the show this is grainy and just bad looking.

Still waiting for another roster update NHL. NBA2k has come up with three since your last one.

# 36 dajar777 @ 02/16/13 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I have a PS3 and chose 2K for 2K10 and 11. Stop assuming 100% of the people would choose the Show and this post is flat out trolling. 2K has hitters eye, a unique analog pitching system and great commentary. It's not all bad.

I realize there is a high probability the game is the same as 2K12 but I am still holding out hope some work was done. Mt Oread, I don't need many changes to give 2k13 a buy but the one thing (big I realize) I want changed is the bat off the ball physics and excessive opposite field homers improved.
Point taken, I'm not saying 2k is a bad game, it's quite fun to play, I just don't isee improvements from the early videos. I sat on the fence for the past few years on it mainly cause I can't stand Matt Vascursion's voiceovers! but this year it looks as if SD studios really listened to their fan base and pumped out a winner, if 2k does improve I will get it but not for $60, anyway it was more of a suggestion than an assumption, enjoy your season whatever game you buy!

# 37 lnin0 @ 02/16/13 06:48 PM
I am a huge 2K fan. I would and have happily plopped down my credit card each year for incremental updates. However, if 2K13 is nothing more than a $60 roster update at the behest of the MLB, as some have speculated, then I will have a hard time buying in this year. I am all well and fine if they want to do a 'roster' update but I am not ok if they want to insist that such a game is a game deserving of $60 price tag. I'll go drop $60 on lottery tickets and have a better chance of winning something and get my roster updates online for free. Shame on you 2K if this is the case.

# 38 Galvatron @ 02/16/13 08:34 PM
Quote:

I was under the impression that ALL of 2K's sports titles used the same or similar graphics engine this entire generation, from baseball, basketball, the All-Pro Football game, the hockey series, even that awful boxing game they came out with all used a similar art style. The only ones that seemed to do it's own thing were The Bigs and the Virtua Tennis games.

But yeah I think in the case of MLB vs. NBA, it just seemed that they dedicated more effort to mo-cap and optimizing animations to the NBA series than to MLB. But hell, even that game has its deficiencies when it comes to smooth transitions between animations, most noticeably in it's real time presentation package.

# 39 Behindshadows @ 02/16/13 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
Any word on PC version yet ?
As big of a fan as I am, if no PC version, then I will catch the console version in a bargain bin.....

This is not looking good for 2ksports, I hope those videos were made in beta stages, no way those graphics are complete...Faces, textures, colors and all are just horrendous!

# 40 TB12TCUPROCOMBAT @ 02/16/13 10:32 PM
2k sports put this out only as a desperation act knowing that it is the only baseball game for xbox and knowing no matter what it looked like people will still buy the game. What i don't get is that 2k doesn't seem to change at all graphics wise every year, I mean even the ps Vita has better graphics for mlb 13 the show than mlb 2k13.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.