Home
News Post

Gaming as we know it is changing, and the future is now if you believe EA CFO Blake Jorgenson, who says EA plans to implement microtransactions in all of it's games in the future.

“We’re building into all of our games the ability to pay for things along the way, either to get to a higher level to buy a new character, to buy a truck, a gun, whatever it might be.” Jorgenson said at the Morgan Stanley Technology, Media and Telecom Conference.

"Consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business," Jorgenson added.

For those of you unfamiliar with them, microtransactions are small-scale items built into games that you have to pay physical money to actually own. We have seen microtransactions creep into sports games via ultimate team modes and card packs, as well as in Dynasty boosters and feature enhancements. It seems apparent that customers are paying money, lots of money, for microtransactions in gaming and it is leading the world's largest third party publisher to pursue them in every title.

It's unlikely EA will start charging for common features in their games, but rather will likely offer 'shortcuts' to players in the form of microtransactions. It's entirely plausible that ratings' boosts and more could become commonplace in the online realm if the microtransaction strategy is fully embraced. More likely, you will see microtransactions implemented as an 'in addition to' type of strategy, so as to not fully displease more avid fans of series.

Regardless, there is a definite vocal group of gamers who absolutely despise microtransactions -- but it seems apparent that EA sees profitability in this new model.

How do you see microtransactions being implemented in EA Sports games in the future? Do you like the idea of microtransactions?

Member Comments
# 1 sweigner @ 02/27/13 02:37 PM
So does this mean games will be cheaper? that's why it works so well with apps. the apps are cheap so people will make in app purchases.

# 2 Gotmadskillzson @ 02/27/13 03:12 PM
So does this means I can buy better AI DLC for their football games or buy pass interference being called or buy punt blocks or punts being returned for more then 10 yards. Can I buy classic teams ? Can I buy FCS schools for their NCAA football game series ?

Blah, I think we all knew this was coming when they started charging for alternate college uniforms last year. Nickel and dime us to death.

# 3 GlennN @ 02/27/13 06:04 PM
Swell, so offline franchise will be ignored in favor of online gaming.

# 4 aldon_47 @ 02/27/13 07:02 PM
I saw the word "microtransaction" and for some reason immediately thought of things like team revenue aspects, adjusting contracts, that sort of thing and got really excited for a moment. BOY was I disappointed. Not surprised though.

# 5 CM Hooe @ 02/27/13 08:48 PM
This shouldn't really be news, given the trends in the industry that have existed since Zynga popularized the idea of microtransactions.

# 6 rsump112 @ 02/27/13 09:12 PM
I don't mind spending a few dollars on a free iphone app, but I'm disgusted at the thought of paying $60 for a game only to be nickel and dimed to death afterwards

# 7 jazzchamp @ 02/27/13 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsump112
I don't mind spending a few dollars on a free iphone app, but I'm disgusted at the thought of paying $60 for a game only to be nickel and dimed to death afterwards
This!
So much this!

# 8 weaponz248 @ 02/28/13 04:40 AM
Quote:
AMEN!! rsump112

# 9 eye guy @ 02/28/13 05:15 AM
I personally hate the idea because it's a trend I see many others following. Dlc is bad enough, sometimes, but his going beyond greed.

The sad Part about is, more peoPle than not will buy these microtransactions, and thus they will be here to stay.

F..k EA and their stupid ideas...

# 10 AndrewGW88 @ 02/28/13 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennN
Swell, so offline franchise will be ignored in favor of online gaming.
I'm assuming you are referencing madden? If so, then not at all. Offline CCM is the same thing as Online CCM except that it's offline instead. They are all the same file now. So if something is updated then it's updated for online and offline at the same time.

# 11 BCDX97 @ 02/28/13 03:21 PM
I can't wait until we have to buy each team separately. Madden 14 will come with the Lions and the Chiefs, and you have to pay to download (on disc DLC) everybody else.

# 12 bigbuckeyeboi @ 02/28/13 06:07 PM
Quote:
I totally agree bro. As a gamer EA makes me sick with the way they try to milk every nickel any way they can from the consumers pockets. I understand that it's business but with the way the economy is right now. It's absolutely disgusting!

# 13 lynkraid @ 02/28/13 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
So does this means I can buy better AI DLC for their football games or buy pass interference being called or buy punt blocks or punts being returned for more then 10 yards. Can I buy classic teams ? Can I buy FCS schools for their NCAA football game series ?

Blah, I think we all knew this was coming when they started charging for alternate college uniforms last year. Nickel and dime us to death.
In Madden leagues I have seen punt blocks, and I've seen and done a few punt returns and kick returns my self, both aren't really that hard. And thats on All Madden too. I even had a game with 4 total kick returns. Another game with 2 kick returns and a punt return, again on All Madden.

But EA is stupid with the microtransripoffs. Its all about Madden Ultimate Team, EA will keep promoting that stupid mode to the moon just because you cant win a game or compete without buying packs, when anyone you play online has a full 99ovr team. Hence why no one plays it online besides the guys who paid for 99ovr teams.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.