Home
NBA 2K13 News Post

Another NBA 2K13 roster update arrived this morning updating 14 players. Chandler Parsons and LaMarcus Aldridge had some of their ratings adjusted, but it didn't affect their overall rating.
  • J.R. Smith - New York Knicks +2 (84)
  • Iman Shumpert - New York Knicks +1 (81)
  • Jason Kidd - New York Knicks -1 (79)
  • Tobias Harris - Orlando Magic +7 (75)
  • Nikola Vucevic - Orlando Magic +5 (73)
  • Reggie Evans - Brooklyn Nets +3 (66)
  • Gerald Wallace - Brooklyn Nets -3 (74)
  • Mike Conley - Memphis Grizzlies +1 (83)
  • Tony Allen - Memphis Grizzlies -1 (75)
  • Steve Nash - Los Angeles Lakers -1 (82)
  • Jodie Meeks - Los Angeles Lakers +1 (69)
  • John Wall - Washington Wizards +3 (85)
Thomas Robinson for the Rockets is finally wearing #41. Thanks Rashidi.

Nothing else changed from the update that was released yesterday, which adjusted injured/recovered players.

To see the complete list of updates, make sure you visit The Real 2K Insider.

Game: NBA 2K13Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 75 - View All
NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 cj2008nw @ 04/06/13 01:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyklug2013
How? He's 100% right. The way that 2k has set up Shot Creator is increase in the likely-hood of a shot going in after the shooter has created space for his shot.

I don't know how we got on this topic, but he's right.
so you agree with his original premise that JR Smith shouldn't have shot creator?

# 122 diehardknicksfan @ 04/06/13 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_prom
Yes, I am...first of all, of course I have to hate the Knicks. What else could it be...maybe simply an opinion different from yours? That's impossible. If you aren't a fan of team x, you're hating them, right? The funny thing is, there are dozens of players that are rated completely wrong in 2k13, and here we have J.R. Smith, rated 84 and at least a Top5 SG in the game. With 98 stamina of course, so you can play him online as long as you want to...and now I'm simply stating that I don't agree with him getting another 2k magical skill and that's reason enough for talking to me like I'm some kind of idiot? Isn't that a bit biased?

I actually happen to like the Knicks, great coaching and their overall playing style is fun to watch.
But why is it bad to have a negative opinion about certain players?

Shot Creator:

"This type of player has a higher chance of making a shot than most other players, IF he creates space for himself."

Here are the conditions that have to be met before the skill is even activated:

"The player must break his defender down to create space, which must be bigger than the space between him and the defender when the break started.

The shot creator must be within seven feet of the defender when he starts to break him down.

The shot must be taken within 2 seconds of the initial break down.

The shot must happen within 33 feet of the basket.

The player must not be smothered defensively by the defender at both the start of the break down and the release of the shot."

So instead of mindlessly posting gifs without even thinking even one second about the topic...it's pretty clear that 2ks shot creator skill is not related to how good a player is at creating space, but about a reduced shot penalty after you've broken the defender down. These are 2 entirely different things.
In 2k13, attributes that matter for creating space are ball handling, speed and quickness...so the shot creator skill is not related at all to that. It's only about reducing a shot penalty after you've managed to create space. So even if you might disagree with my opinion, it's not exactly an intelligent response to go like "lmao you stupid" or maybe posting a gif...

So again, if you want a sig skill that really makes a player good at creating space in iso situations, you'd have to use ankle breaker instead, since stumbling animations actually help to separate a player from his defender.
So y. Shouldn't jr get shot creator.

He doesnt really need cause he is already nasty in the game but its a sig skill he should
Have had to start the season.

Most of his points are coming off of shots where he created the space for the shot and he converted a good percentage over the season

# 123 mango_prom @ 04/06/13 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardknicksfan
So y. Shouldn't jr get shot creator.

He doesnt really need cause he is already nasty in the game but its a sig skill he should
Have had to start the season.

Most of his points are coming off of shots where he created the space for the shot and he converted a good percentage over the season
The thing is, looking at Smith since the All Star Break, his impressive performances are actually because he cut down the "shot creator" stuff and drives to the hoop a lot more aggressively.
He takes both less 3s and midrange shots compared to shots in the zone, which is absolutely smarter than taking these Kobe-shots.
And shot creator applies to situations where you take iso midrange shots (he has never shooting worse from midrange than this season) and 3s (80% of his 3pointers are assisted by the way).

So I think that Smith is rated pretty well right now. Most of his great play lately can be attibuted to relying more on his driving game, which I think is represented good enough in a game that already rewards driving on every possession.

If you want to edit Smith because of his great play, you should do so by increasing his driving tendency, because that's what he has changed the most, but not his skillset. And by the way, Smith is actually shooting below his season average from midrange since the all-star break. But you won't notice it in overall percentages since he's driving a lot more which compensates a lot.

Basically, with Smith in attacking mode, I can see the Knicks go far in the playoffs. But if he settles for jumpshots pretending he's Kobe, I don't think you can make a run with Smith as your 2nd option. Will be interesting to watch for sure, if Smith focuses on driving and Melo can put up MVP numbers, NYC could make a run similar to the Mavs in 2011, that's their best case scenario. But not with
"shot creator" J.R. Smith. I see him getting completely shut down in a series if he tries to create jumpers for his own too much.

# 124 evanreyes @ 04/07/13 02:27 PM
They still need to add Kent Bazemore and increase Curry's rating. I think that Curry is an 85, he should be higher than John Wall at the very least.

# 125 cj2008nw @ 04/07/13 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_prom
The thing is, looking at Smith since the All Star Break, his impressive performances are actually because he cut down the "shot creator" stuff and drives to the hoop a lot more aggressively.
He takes both less 3s and midrange shots compared to shots in the zone, which is absolutely smarter than taking these Kobe-shots.
And shot creator applies to situations where you take iso midrange shots (he has never shooting worse from midrange than this season) and 3s (80% of his 3pointers are assisted by the way).

So I think that Smith is rated pretty well right now. Most of his great play lately can be attibuted to relying more on his driving game, which I think is represented good enough in a game that already rewards driving on every possession.

If you want to edit Smith because of his great play, you should do so by increasing his driving tendency, because that's what he has changed the most, but not his skillset. And by the way, Smith is actually shooting below his season average from midrange since the all-star break. But you won't notice it in overall percentages since he's driving a lot more which compensates a lot.

Basically, with Smith in attacking mode, I can see the Knicks go far in the playoffs. But if he settles for jumpshots pretending he's Kobe, I don't think you can make a run with Smith as your 2nd option. Will be interesting to watch for sure, if Smith focuses on driving and Melo can put up MVP numbers, NYC could make a run similar to the Mavs in 2011, that's their best case scenario. But not with
"shot creator" J.R. Smith. I see him getting completely shut down in a series if he tries to create jumpers for his own too much.
That's nice and all but Smith still needs Shot Creator as a signature skill all his shots are off the dribble and he's one of the best in the league creating his own shot.. just because he's found a balance between driving the lane and shooting doesn't diminish his skill to do so last time I checked it was called SIGNATURE SKILL

# 126 Blackhail92 @ 04/07/13 05:02 PM
while the 2k community may hate me for saying this. Melo could use a slight upgrade for his performance during the knicks 12 game win streak. Also. Idk what Hayward did personally to the 2k insider but something is clearly not being done about his rating. James white is a 69 over Hayward smh.

# 127 Maccy46 @ 04/08/13 12:55 AM
All this arguments over Smith getting shot creator is ********. Whether he deserves it or not there are better players who deserve signature skills before him.

# 128 hear me now @ 04/08/13 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccy46
All this arguments over Smith getting shot creator is ********. Whether he deserves it or not there are better players who deserve signature skills before him.
You should list those players with the skills you want them to have.

# 129 Maccy46 @ 04/09/13 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hear me now
You should list those players with the skills you want them to have.
No point in doing that, i am not going to piss people off over something so little.

# 130 LoSoisNiCEx414 @ 04/09/13 04:12 PM
Curry is fine were he is, & Wall is fine as well. Is Steph Curry that much better than Wall? Curry is the better shooter & his ratings show that in 2k. Both are young good players & play like themselves. Thats what matters..

# 131 Blackhail92 @ 04/09/13 11:51 PM
melo scores 36 points again. Heat retention is needed for him

# 132 Maccy46 @ 04/10/13 05:38 AM
I wonder if the next update will drop after Wade is playing again.

# 133 ClevelandFan @ 04/10/13 10:18 PM
Make sure to bring Dion Waiters back next update

# 134 ClevelandFan @ 04/12/13 01:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandFan
Make sure to bring Dion Waiters back next update
And give him some sig skill(s) god dammit.

# 135 terpsbball10 @ 04/13/13 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanreyes
They still need to add Kent Bazemore and increase Curry's rating. I think that Curry is an 85, he should be higher than John Wall at the very least.

and for what reason should he be higher than Wall? He certainly isn't a better overall player....his defense is awful.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.