Home
Tiger 14 News Post

Kotaku has a scoop on EA scrapping next years edition of Tiger Woods PGA Tour to give the first next-gen version a couple of years of development time by the core Tiburon team. This would mean Tiger Woods PGA Tour 15 is not happening, and that this year's edition of Tiger was the last on current gen consoles.

Sound off with your thoughts.

Quote:
For if a series like Tiger Woods PGA Tour is put on hiatus, even for a year, then everything is on the table. I have learned, from persons with knowledge of the series' development, that Tiger Woods PGA Tour 15 is not happening. On any platform. EA's plan was to outsource that edition of the game, to give the in-house team two years to make Tiger Woods 16, taking advantage of all the PS4 and the next Xbox would have to offer. When CEO John Riccitiello gave his resignation last month, that plan was scrapped as a cost-saving move. The game hasn't been reassigned to the Tiger Woods team, either. Some of its personnel already have been sent to other teams in the EA Tiburon studio for the time being.

Game: Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 13 - View All
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Richzilla @ 04/28/13 06:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up.

I'm ok with the series taking a year off.

On the bright side I don't have to buy the courses again next year

Also it's not like other team sports that have a ton of change and roster movement each year.

I will keep playing what I have now until we see a solid golf game on the PS4.

# 2 The_Wise_One @ 04/28/13 08:15 PM
I would be fine if NCAA did this

# 3 BaylorBearBryant @ 04/28/13 08:21 PM
Why don't sports games do this more often!?

# 4 Detroitfan4life1993 @ 04/28/13 09:03 PM
I wonder if ea is working on a next gen nba live game.

# 5 rynecandy @ 04/28/13 09:26 PM
Is this going to be the new way they release the game? If so, I'm fine with it but if they are just doing it because they are focusing on next gen, they are leaving some $ on the table. Despite people not liking a yearly release, they do it because it makes money (from a business POV). No golf and no basketball, seriously doubt NBA Live will be ready, is a high risk in income lost.

# 6 Chaos81 @ 04/28/13 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorBearBryant
Why don't sports games do this more often!?
Because we buy the games anyway. They'd be doing nothing but taking money out of their own pockets.

# 7 inkcil @ 04/28/13 11:37 PM
Chaos81 you are so right...from a strictly business perspective it would be almost silly for them not to release a TW15 on current gen, even if it has only minimal improvements. That's why you have a marketing dept. LOL (evil villain laugh).

# 8 Bighoff @ 04/29/13 12:31 AM
I would be fine with this if they released 15-30 more courses for 14.

# 9 eye guy @ 04/29/13 02:16 AM
If this is true, then Triburon are leading the way in how the first game for the next gen consoles, should be approached.

Think of the possibilities if EA have been working on a new NBA Live for next gen, since the the demise of their demo effort.

# 10 Dazraz @ 04/29/13 04:46 AM
I'd rather EA take a year out & release a next gen game that builds on the progress made within the current gen product than do what normally happens & release a rushed out of the door game missing a ton of features.

# 11 OnlookerDelay @ 04/29/13 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkcil
Chaos81 you are so right...from a strictly business perspective it would be almost silly for them not to release a TW15 on current gen, even if it has only minimal improvements. That's why you have a marketing dept. LOL (evil villain laugh).
I've got a sense that they're taking a major hit over low sales of Tiger 14, and that's what cinched the decision not to go with a Tiger 15 release. The decision to focus on a quality release, based on a totally new engine, for the Gen-4 consoles is a smart one, IMO.

# 12 kerosene31 @ 04/29/13 08:45 AM
It worked well in other series like NHL. I have no problem with it. Once it is patched, TW14 will keep me busy for awhile.

# 13 ImTellinTim @ 04/29/13 09:52 AM
I hadn't bought a TW game since 10, so I don't mind. I'm going to be playing this version for a long time. It will easily hold me over until I go next gen in a few years.

# 14 OnlookerDelay @ 04/29/13 10:15 AM
I'm pleasantly surprised at how this news is being received both here and every other forum where Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf is discussed. People are a lot more grounded in reason than I gave them credit. This is probably resounding positively in EA Sports' board room as well

# 15 tsp120 @ 04/29/13 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
I'm pleasantly surprised at how this news is being received both here and every other forum where Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf is discussed. People are a lot more grounded in reason than I gave them credit. This is probably resounding positively in EA Sports' board room as well
I suspect this news wouldn't be taken so well if the newly released version fell short like a majority of its predecessors.

# 16 RumbleCard @ 04/29/13 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
I've got a sense that they're taking a major hit over low sales of Tiger 14, and that's what cinched the decision not to go with a Tiger 15 release. The decision to focus on a quality release, based on a totally new engine, for the Gen-4 consoles is a smart one, IMO.
This is probably the real reason. Cost of operating a full boat and sinking sales would be a good reason to dial the team back, make cuts and gear up for next gen.

There is no way anyone, let alone a company like EA, would sacrifice money for a higher quality product. That's not big business. This has underlying fiscal reasons written all over it.

# 17 cdawg44 @ 04/29/13 02:01 PM
I know we all like to bash EA a bit here and many other boards but they deserve credit for making this move. It is a risk for sure, but I strongly believe it will pay off in the long run for the next gen with the ambitions it seems the devs have for this series.

Plus having Tiger 14 being hands down the best golf game since Links 2004 and maybe superior to it in many ways doesn't hurt either. I'm gonna be playing this for a LONG while.

Bravo EA

# 18 JODYE @ 04/29/13 02:27 PM
Taking a year off only adds pressure to deliver a complete golf game.

And with the current engine, there is a LOT of work to do.

# 19 ComfortablyLomb @ 04/29/13 04:46 PM
A couple points:

1. This year's game is GREAT, so not getting a game next year is no big deal.
2. Sports games should be every other year releases in the first place.

Just a great decision, especially after the mess that was the transition to the current-gen from the PS2 era.

# 20 DivotMaker @ 04/29/13 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
2-year cycle is a good move for the sports genre in general. And stop limiting yourselves to only two platforms with next-gen. There's no reason not to bring a game to all platforms nowadays. Tiger and NHL should have made their way back to PC years ago. Are you kidding me.
It is not a 2 year cycle. They are taking an additional year to get the next gen games started on the right foot.

As far as PC versions of NHL and Tiger, the PC sports game market just doesn't make sense right now to EA. sales of Tiger PC tanked badly from TW99 on and TW08 for PC did not even post a positive ROI. Would you invest in such a market?

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.