Home
NCAA Football 14 News Post

It appears the news which ESPN broke and the rest of the internet ran with yesterday (including us) was a bit premature as far as the SEC's involvement within the game. According to Owen Good at Kotaku, sources with knowledge of the situation say the SEC marks will be in next year's college football game despite yesterday's reports.

However those same sources do confirm the Big Ten and Pac-12 won't be in the game.

Also in Good's report is the mention that all but one school will be in next year's game, which is certainly a relief but far from guarantees the series' long term viability until a 'Division 4' model is fully realized within the next decade -- which will all but guarantee a fully licensed and fully named College Football game from EA Sports well into the future.

Pasta Padre sourced an article of an interview with the AD from the University of Washington, who was going to recommend they not license to EA Sports -- but according to Kotaku, UW is not the missing team from next year's game.

That is an important story in and of itself because if a schools athletic department doesn't want to be licensed, it may only be a matter of time before they opt out of the license. As I stated yesterday, it's not a matter of if schools can opt out of the agreement they are in with EA Sports currently through the CLC -- the only question is how much will it cost to exit the agreement if anything.

While today's news does seem to indicate most schools are still on board with the College Football product from EA Sports -- it also underscores the product's shaky foundation it still sits on as schools like UW will continue to monitor their legal risks vs. monetary rewards of being involved with EA's College Football product.

Game: NCAA Football 14Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 54 - View All
NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 CloudFuel @ 08/16/13 11:20 AM
I am probably in the vast minority on this one... but honestly, I could care less what teams I am left to play with... as long as the game is solid.

Honestly, I'll GLADLY take a bunch of no-name CFL-type squads with a much improved/expansive/in-depth football game any day of the week. My interest solely lies in the game play, building up a dynasty, and the camaraderie with other users.

# 22 Humperdink @ 08/16/13 12:02 PM
Time to hunker down and wait, it appears. The NCAA is losing relevance and power very rapidly, and the power conference schools are running out of patience. Whatever changes come in that structure, and the results of these lawsuits (bear in mind that the real target here is the TV money, video games are small potatoes) may not come quickly, and the understandable reaction from the schools will be to reduce their exposure to risk. I get the feeling that whatever the new arrangement looks like will allow for some version of likeness reproduction, because there is SO much money on the table from the TV rights that nobody will want to let go of. The video game issue may have been where it starts, but the new power conference structure and the impact of likeness disputes on TV revenues will be where it ends. When the big money issues are resolved, the smaller money issues will follow the same legal pattern, and everything from broadcast rights to memorabilia will likely be effected. And that could take another several years to shake out. In the meantime, I hope that somebody figures out how to make a decent-playing, fully customizable game of football on the new consoles that can just skin over the necessary graphics on the field when the dust settles.

# 23 SpartyParty11 @ 08/16/13 01:56 PM
I'm guessing the team is one of the teams not part of the CLC. So either Ohio State, Oregon, Michigan State or USC

# 24 Haze88 @ 08/16/13 07:52 PM
It will probably be Charlotte or one of the teams not yet in the FBS full time

# 25 BA2929 @ 08/16/13 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Why would you do that? If this is true, the game will be missing 1 team. Would you really skip out on the '15 because of one team.
If it's Kansas, I'm out.

# 26 Humperdink @ 08/16/13 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
There's absolutely no better way to keep a game fresh, popular, relevant, and alive than to allow & support the modding community.

The best way to involve a modding community would be to have a PC version of the game, but we won't see those again until consoles are dead (this may be their last iteration) and they'll probably be multi-platform and digital. We'll be playing the games on our TVs from hard drives or as cloud content or something. When that happens I would bet that modding will get easier.

# 27 Foots @ 08/17/13 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humperdink
The best way to involve a modding community would be to have a PC version of the game, but we won't see those again until consoles are dead (this may be their last iteration) and they'll probably be multi-platform and digital. We'll be playing the games on our TVs from hard drives or as cloud content or something. When that happens I would bet that modding will get easier.
Oh the wonders of having a game on PC. Prime example is NASCAR Racing 2003 season. Fourteen years later its still being modded by the simracing community despite the fact that IRacing is around. Having a PC version of NCAA 14 or 15 would be outstanding.

I really think this is a fluid situation at the moment. As of now, maybe there is one team out, but that doesn't mean they won't be in the game. There is still quite some time to work out a deal.

# 28 barsoffury @ 08/17/13 07:27 AM
I think at the end of the day something will be worked out and all teams will eventually be in the game. Why? well because if there is money to be made then it will get done some how.

# 29 d_sel1 @ 08/17/13 07:50 PM
Quote:
Why would you do that? If this is true, the game will be missing 1 team. Would you really skip out on the '15 because of one team.
Well people actually attend those schools. If it was your alma mater left out, you would not be happy. If the rumors that could be either Oregon, Ohio State, or Michigan State go bye-bye, it would be a disaster. Imagine Madden without the Falcons or Broncos (in the evil Buckeyes case Pittsburgh or Dallas), or NHL 15 sans Montreal or St Louis.

# 30 d_sel1 @ 08/17/13 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_sel1
Well people actually attend those schools. If it was your alma mater left out, you would not be happy. If the rumors that could be either Oregon, Ohio State, or Michigan State go bye-bye, it would be a disaster. Imagine Madden without the Falcons or Broncos (in the evil Buckeyes case Pittsburgh or Dallas), or NHL 15 sans Montreal or St Louis.
or worse USC

# 31 jwtucker710 @ 08/18/13 08:59 AM
If some of the conferences go the wayside of the NCAA license, I'm not sure if EA wants to spend the kind of money for production on building a new game, but they said there will be a college football '15. Honestly, I don't see where those players who have lashed out with the various lawsuits against EA, claiming "their likeness" and image were in the game, have a solid case, but evidently greedy lawyers find a way to make it a case. It's all about money -- Ed O'Bannon couldn't have a long pro career so he goes after EA, as well as some of these athletes who claim similar vendettas. Hope everyone is enjoying NCAA Football '14 as much as I am, because it's will be the last of its kind ... until EA and the NCAA get these legal entanglements settled.

# 32 seancass38 @ 08/18/13 10:14 PM
hopefully College Football 15 or whatever it will be called won't be as glitchy as 14, if it is then i most likely will be done with college football videogames, i mean I understand that i would like to play a game with all the college teams in, but it doesn;t mean anything if we get grey facemasks, freezes and other bugs/glitches

# 33 lord_mike @ 08/18/13 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
well that was a bit of good news on this gloomy friday.

please don't be Nebraska, please don't be Nebraska....
Well, since Nebraska is part of the Big Ten now, it looks like they won't be in the game. It doesn't surprise me that the Big 10 is bailing. They do at least have some commitment to academics, but that is going to stink big time. It will probably hurt their recruitment, too, I bet. I'm sure the players like being the video games and big ten schools will not be available. I bet this will domino, too, with a bunch of other conferences and schools bailing out of fear.

With the Big Ten out, I'm really not interested. What a bummer. Maybe someone can make an open source game that can somehow bypass these ridiculous "right of publicity" laws that are ruining it for everyone.

UPDATE: Whoops! It looks like I misread... it will just be the conference name that's out... well, that's not a big deal. I'm going to guess that the one team is either Notre Dame ('cos they are trying to be ethical) or Ohio State (trying to get more $$$)

# 34 Tovarich @ 08/18/13 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofATL
Team Builder will fix the missing schools....
Only if you are allowed to add those schools in without removing a number of other schools equal to the number that had to be created. And that unfortunately has never been the case.

# 35 BonesKnows85 @ 08/19/13 02:20 PM
I don't think this is the end, but there is going to be 5 years of a damaged product or even no product at all. The Division 4 model that was mentioned in this article is going to happen. It would have happened anyway, with nothing to do with video games. The financial build for the entire system needs to be redone. Not only that, there needs to be a major change to the landscape.

Once this puke, Ed O'Bannon gets his check (Which I hope is $2 like Donald Trump got in the whole USFL debacle), things will prob be changed and we will see this game return to form in the future.

I'm happy to hear that the SEC will be in game and that all but 1 school is in. Not thinking about the future too much, just glad we get one good shot on the PS4. Hope the school missing is some lame school like Old Dominion. Or Georgia.

# 36 Quint75 @ 08/19/13 02:35 PM
For those hoping Teambuilder will fill in the blanks, one of the earlier articles said EA would be legally obligated to take down any trademarked logos uploaded to Teambuilder. This would put a serious damper on getting helmets and logs correct for missing teams.

# 37 The_Rick_14 @ 08/19/13 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint75
For those hoping Teambuilder will fill in the blanks, one of the earlier articles said EA would be legally obligated to take down any trademarked logos uploaded to Teambuilder. This would put a serious damper on getting helmets and logs correct for missing teams.
Did it say they had to take down any TM logos uploaded or that EA couldn't use them in teambuilder like they do with some FCS logos now?

Policing uploaded logos would be very hard to do because new teams would just keep popping up.

# 38 Quint75 @ 08/19/13 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rick_14
Did it say they had to take down any TM logos uploaded or that EA couldn't use them in teambuilder like they do with some FCS logos now?

Policing uploaded logos would be very hard to do because new teams would just keep popping up.
Legally obligated to take them down, remove them from the site. How they would police this and how vigilant they would be, I do not know.

edit - from Owen Good:
"Well, as I was told on Thursday, two Football Championship Subdivision teams—these are lower-level schools that don't even appear in the game—have asked EA Sports to pre-emptively remove their symbols from TeamBuilder. Any major school opting out of EA Sports' game would assuredly demand the same thing, and EA would be obligated to police it in the same shoot-first/ask-questions-later way that YouTube complies with takedown demands."

# 39 Goblue8899 @ 01/16/14 04:14 PM
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the article said that the big ten and PAC twelve won't participate in the game. That's 26 teams.

# 40 scottyrogers10 @ 01/16/14 10:51 PM
Quit bumping old threads and ruining this forum!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.