Home
NBA 2K14 News Post

IGN recently had a chance to play an early build of NBA 2K14 with the game Director, Rob Jones. They talk briefly about the Pro Stick dribbling and shooting.

Quote:
It turns out that holding LT (on Xbox 360) now triggers an assist pass based on whatever direction you nudge on the right stick. It's wild fun on fast breaks or for driving the lane and kicking out to a spot-up shooter behind the three-point line.

Once I got some advice from longtime series director Rob Jones, the dribble-stick controls made a lot more sense. As he simply stated, "Dribbles are taps [on the right thumbstick], shots are holds."

UPDATE: 2K Team-Up member @IpodKingCarter has posted more details.

UPDATE #2: 2K Team-Up member @QJBeat has posted more details.

UPDATE #3: 2K Team-Up member @Shake4ndBake has posted more details.

UPDATE #4: 2K Team-Up member @ShakeDown2012 has posted more details.

What are your thoughts?

Game: NBA 2K14Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Wii U / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 98 - View All
NBA 2K14 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 JasonWilliams55 @ 08/20/13 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
So, wait... if you tap the stick to the non-ball hand, let the stick get back to a neutral position, and then quickly hold it in the same direction (essentially a double-tap, but with the second tap being held), is that how you do a crossover pullup?
Yeah that sounds right.

Czar, is off hand passing in? Meaning, is there a penalty for passing with the non-dominate hand? Ala dribbling? Also are layups affected by off hand?

# 122 Vni @ 08/20/13 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
One thing that I was hoping they brought back from 2K11 is the momentum fade jumper when not using turbo where your player would take 1 step and fade rather than the turbo momentum fadeaway where the guy really fade further away...

I'am not sure I make myself clear here though.

What I'am saying is that there should be two types of momentum fadeaway shot... One when not using turbo and one when using turbo.

See at 0.20 that's the shots I'am talking about. They where missing from 2K13 for some reasons. That's the kind of animations we should trigger when not using turbo and doing a momentum shot. Not the full strenght end of the shot clock fade away three type of shots lol.

# 123 bumpyface @ 08/20/13 11:39 AM
I'm so glad Live is coming back out.

# 124 alabamarob @ 08/20/13 11:42 AM
If the pro stick can do a spin jumper without using the left stick in anyway, then I hope that there is a difference between spinning and then commanding a shot mid spin with the right stick, and commanding a spin jumper with the pro stick. I think a spin jumper should be smoother and more seemless than deciding to do a jumper mid spin.

If you played ball before you know that doing a spin jumper, and deciding to do a jumper mid spin are two totally different things. The dribble, gather, and timing are different.

Same thing for step back jumpers.

# 125 jarod43 @ 08/20/13 11:45 AM
I am liking the new controls from what I am hearing. I seem to be getting the hang of it from playing around with my controller. Hopefully this new control scheme can slow down cheesing from some online players.

# 126 swaggedout @ 08/20/13 11:49 AM
Pro-Stick sounds a lot like the controls they had for Fight Night. Tap for jabs, then rotate for haymakers, something like that. Even then they had to give players an option to use the face buttons, because everyone wasn't feeling it. I wonder if they'll have alternate controls. I also wonder how it will respond for those who use different camera angles.

# 127 BezO @ 08/20/13 12:44 PM
Sounds good! I'm just waiting for clarification on pump fakes, unless I missed it.

I figured there'd be a significant change when Beluba said he didn't get his full idea in last year.

And of course the controls have to be changed to give us more control. Either multi-use of buttons or button combos. I prefer multi-use.

# 128 vannwolfhawk @ 08/20/13 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Sounds good! I'm just waiting for clarification on pump fakes, unless I missed it.

I figured there'd be a significant change when Beluba said he didn't get his full idea in last year.

And of course the controls have to be changed to give us more control. Either multi-use of buttons or button combos. I prefer multi-use.
Pump fakes are hold right stick for shot, when they start shooting animation release stick.

# 129 bumpyface @ 08/20/13 01:01 PM
It amazes me how as soon as 2k releases info about the newest gimmick erybody get hype. I ain't heard nothing about any of the gameplay issues being addressed. What about the horrible rebounding, the passing? I've heard nothing about adjustments to core basketball fundamentals being tweaked. SMDH.

# 130 Sundown @ 08/20/13 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Pump fakes are hold right stick for shot, when they start shooting animation release stick.
My only concern is how fast we can do a pump fake. Sometimes you want to do a quick pump and drive. It's almost a tap itself. Do shots get off slow because of the hold to trigger mechanic?

Maybe this is solved by command queuing, where a hold before your player receives the ball will cause him to go into the shot animation so you can still do a quick pump.

We also need to pump quickly in the paint. Wonder if there's context sensitive timing, where pumps in the paint are triggered faster and taps don't as easily trigger inappropriate dribble moves.

I bet one of the biggest challenges was tweaking the timings so that dribble moves, pumps, and shots all have timings that are intuitive and distinct, and yet can be executed so that none of the hold timings make a move or shot slower than the fastest that it can be done.

# 131 Sundown @ 08/20/13 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpyface
It amazes me how as soon as 2k releases info about the newest gimmick erybody get hype. I ain't heard nothing about any of the gameplay issues being addressed. What about the horrible rebounding, the passing? I've heard nothing about adjustments to core basketball fundamentals being tweaked. SMDH.
Passing and other problems have been talked about. There's a whole bloody thread on it. Latest news is that there's more zip to passes, something we've asked for for years. More accurate passing is also in the feature list thread.

No word on rebounding but paint contact, defense, and blocking have been upgraded, as has defensive AI. All core gameplay issues.

Just pay attention. Meanwhile, good luck with Live. That series doesn't even have gameplay out to improve. Meanwhile, 2K's already incorporated what Elite sought to do and then some without tanking their franchise.

# 132 vannwolfhawk @ 08/20/13 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
My only concern is how fast we can do a pump fake. Sometimes you want to do a quick pump and drive. It's almost a tap itself. Do shots get off slow because of the hold to trigger mechanic?

Maybe this is solved by command queuing, where a hold before your player receives the ball will cause him to go into the shot animation so you can still do a quick pump.

We also need to pump quickly in the paint. Wonder if there's context sensitive timing, where pumps in the paint are triggered faster and taps don't as easily trigger inappropriate dribble moves.

I bet one of the biggest challenges was tweaking the timings so that dribble moves, pumps, and shots all have timings that are intuitive and distinct, and yet can be executed so that none of the hold timings make a move or shot slower than the fastest that it can be done.
Just tap the shot button

# 133 Sundown @ 08/20/13 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Just tap the shot button
I like avoiding the shot button altogether. Tapping shot then going to shot stick doesn't flow. Pro stick should be Pro stick, not Pro-everything-but-pump stick.

# 134 vannwolfhawk @ 08/20/13 02:24 PM
Quote:
I like avoiding the shot button altogether. Tapping shot then going to shot stick doesn't flow. Pro stick should be Pro stick, not Pro-everything-but-pump stick.
Lol! I use both and I guess I'm trained to use them both in appropriate situations. But I hear what your saying.

# 135 Da_Czar @ 08/20/13 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWilliams55
Yeah that sounds right.

Czar, is off hand passing in? Meaning, is there a penalty for passing with the non-dominate hand? Ala dribbling? Also are layups affected by off hand?
It wasn't. I talked to them about this but the issue was will regular users understand why some passes are not on target simply because of the hand he passed with ? Even though all other visible elements indicate it should have been a good pass.

So for non hardcore users there is no way to really communicate that to the user. So the time to implement vs bang for buck at that time didn't make much sense. Don't know if that changed or what since I left.

# 136 Da_Czar @ 08/20/13 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpyface
Dribbling and shooting are gimmicks in a BASKETBALL game ?

# 137 Da_Czar @ 08/20/13 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
So, wait... if you tap the stick to the non-ball hand, let the stick get back to a neutral position, and then quickly hold it in the same direction (essentially a double-tap, but with the second tap being held), is that how you do a crossover pullup?

And if I'm moving right and hold the right stick left (or any direction), I'll just do a normal pullup?
I think what is confusing you, and I by no means am saying I can clear it up for you, Is that in the past you had shot controls, and dribble controls, and some moves that were actually shots.

This year you have dribble moves, and you have shots. There are no moves that are actually shots.

You do your moves and then you decide to shoot, then you shoot. Nothing is done for you. You want a dribble left pullup... Then dribble left, and pullup.

# 138 alabamarob @ 08/20/13 02:42 PM
Quote:

I am on the opposite side of this. I think pumpfakes should be slower. An "upfake" is actually a fake shot not simply moving the ball from waste to chest like previous 2k games.
I agree with you in regards to responsiveness but not speed.

# 139 JasonWilliams55 @ 08/20/13 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
It wasn't. I talked to them about this but the issue was will regular users understand why some passes are not on target simply because of the hand he passed with? Even though all other visible elements indicate it should have been a good pass.

So for non hardcore users there is no way to really communicate that to the user. So the time to implement vs bang for buck at that time didn't make much sense. Don't know if that changed or what since I left.
Is this not common sense? Do users now understand why they missed a layup while going off hand (lefty usually)... does this even apply to 2k? (off hand lays)

Wouldn't that same thought process apply for dribbling? Why did he lose the ball/get ripped, even though he was going off-hand. Do users understand that? I mean there is a rating for OHD... so why not just apply that concept.

Since in player creation you have to select a dominate hand (what is this for? dribbling only) and pretty much anyone who has dribbled a basketball in real life knows that ya off hand is not as good.

As for implementation... I was thinking Off hand lay, off hand pass. Now as for getting casuals to know... make it one of those in-game pop ups when it happens.. (ya know... "wondering why that pass was off target...")

But overall I hear ya tho fam.

# 140 RyanFitzmagic @ 08/20/13 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
I think what is confusing you, and I by no means am saying I can clear it up for you, Is that in the past you had shot controls, and dribble controls, and some moves that were actually shots.

This year you have dribble moves, and you have shots. There are no moves that are actually shots.

You do your moves and then you decide to shoot, then you shoot. Nothing is done for you. You want a dribble left pullup... Then dribble left, and pullup.
Right, this is what I figured. So basically, to chain a dribble move into a shot, you just initiate the dribble move with the tap, and then hold the stick to shoot before the animation ends?

Also, does this mean sig gathers are gone? What will the mean for the CPU? Will they actually utilize dribble moves and pull-ups chained together? One thing that bothered me about 2K13 is not having to worry about the CPU pump-faking off the dribble, and now, if they can't even shoot immediately after dribble moves...

Ugh.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.